TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru
I wonder if they've ever had a situation where all three were in the negative or had $0 at the end of Double Jeopardy.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behin...ardy-scenarios

I could have sworn I saw that happen once, but I guess it hasn't happened yet.

It's rare, but the Washington Generals have defeated the Harlem Globetrotters a few times. These things are bound to happen eventually given enough time.

Old 04-22-22, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I know the second ever Trebek game ended with all three contestants with $0.
This article claims "it’s happened on no less than seven different occasions" although there's no data or references to back it up.
Old 04-24-22, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

The Alex Trebek estate sale. I would be willing to have some of those things in my house.

https://www.estatesales.net/CA/Studi.../91604/3243012
Old 04-24-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The Alex Trebek estate sale. I would be willing to have some of those things in my house.

He had a lot of stuff, but isn't his wife still alive and has a younger child living with her? Seems like they wanting to dispose of everything in his house, or at least one or two of his houses.
Old 04-24-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Old 04-24-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

That’s really funny.
Old 04-24-22, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

He had a lot of stuff, but isn't his wife still alive and has a younger child living with her? Seems like they wanting to dispose of everything in his house, or at least one or two of his houses.
The "bereaved widow" looks like she's getting rid of every last thing he ever owned.
Old 04-25-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would really like to have a piece of erotic artwork hanging on my wall that was previously owned by Alex Trebek.

NSFW:

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-25-22 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure there's nothing in the estate sale that I could even afford even if there was something I would want, but do they list the prices of the items anywhere online?
Old 04-25-22, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
The "bereaved widow" looks like she's getting rid of every last thing he ever owned.
I just found a news cast that gives a few prices of some paintings and sculptures. Some fairly decent affordable prices; $400-$750. I would probably have bought something like the Trebek animated sculpture for $400. It was said in another article that his daughter is selling his house, so his widow may not have inherited as much as his children, and it may be his children selling the items.

Shoppers continue to line up in Day 2 of Alex Trebek estate sale (foxla.com)
Old 04-25-22, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

wow, that's a lot of random stuff
I would buy his collection of potent potables though
Old 04-25-22, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just found a news cast that gives a few prices of some paintings and sculptures. Some fairly decent affordable prices; $400-$750. I would probably have bought something like the Trebek animated sculpture for $400. It was said in another article that his daughter is selling his house, so his widow may not have inherited as much as his children, and it may be his children selling the items.

Shoppers continue to line up in Day 2 of Alex Trebek estate sale (foxla.com)
Whoever is behind the fire sale, it's a travesty. That's an awful lot of personal stuff these people are unloading. They should be ashamed.
Old 04-25-22, 03:00 PM

Whoever is behind the fire sale, it's a travesty. That's an awful lot of personal stuff these people are unloading. They should be ashamed.
Hey I disagree. The kids went through his stuff. We don't know how much was kept. There's no Emmys or irreplaceable items of personal importance. It's their property and if they want to sell it rather than keep it in their house, then that is absolutely their right. Nobody should be criticizing them for doing that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
chowderhead (04-26-22), majorjoe23 (04-25-22), Trevor (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I think I'm most impressed by his collection of tools. I've watched Jeopardy for close to three decades and never imagined Alex as someone who would own a welder.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (05-04-22)
Old 04-25-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Galt
I think I'm most impressed by his collection of tools. I've watched Jeopardy for close to three decades and never imagined Alex as someone who would own a welder.
I saw his extensive collection of tools on that Alex Trebek special that aired on network tv before he died.

They portrayed his as someone who liked to tinker around and do home repairs.

And those tools do look well-used.
Old 04-25-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure his main house and possibly other properties have to be sold so the proceeds could be split in some fashion between the heirs. His main residence was listed at 10,000 square feet. I'm sure his children's homes were much smaller and were likely already fully furnished. It would probably be very unlikely for them to fit all of his personal belongings into their homes. My dad had a much smaller home, but I still couldn't take all the stuff from his home and put it in mine after he passed away. I only took the most sentimental person items that meant something to him or me. Other items had to be given away or liquidated in an estate sale.
Old 04-25-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I guess so. It just always seems so crass to sell off the belongings of a deceased loved one, but you're right that they probably didn't have enough space to store his stuff.
Old 04-25-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When someone dies they have a ton of stuff you don’t really want, it’s their taste and their stuff, not yours. If other people would appreciate it you may as well sell it to people who will enjoy it, that’s what I did with a lot of my mom’s stuff, and it was actually a huge relief, because all of that stuff was like an anchor.
Old 04-25-22, 09:52 PM

In addition, his many fans who loved him and grieved for him have a chance to own something that belonged to him, and not at an outrageous price. It's kind of a win-win.
Old 04-26-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I guess so. It just always seems so crass to sell off the belongings of a deceased loved one, but you're right that they probably didn't have enough space to store his stuff.
It's also much easier to have someone else come in and redistribute or dispose of what remains of a loved one's life that you don't want or have space for. When my dad passed, My sister and I went in and got the items that were most sentimental to him or to us. We eventually had someone take care of the rest. That was partially because we lived hundreds of miles away and it was a task to keep making trips down there to deal with that type of stuff. But it was also emotionally easier to have a stranger pack up things like old clothes, worn down furniture, and random items like tools and appliances.
Norm de Plume (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I saw his extensive collection of tools on that Alex Trebek special that aired on network tv before he died.

They portrayed his as someone who liked to tinker around and do home repairs.

And those tools do look well-used.
I saw that as well and was surprised. Seeing Alex up on his roof repairing it made me think even better of Alex.
Old 04-26-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

It's just stuff.

What were we supposed to do with my Mom's stuff? We kept the few pieces we wanted, gave some things to charity, sold some items, and threw out things that had no value to anyone else. My sisters and I are fortunate that our parents downsized several times. Some heirs have to deal with a house, barn, garage, workshop, shed, and even back acres all packed with stuff that nobody wants.
Old 04-26-22, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just stuff.

What were we supposed to do with my Mom's stuff? We kept the few pieces we wanted, gave some things to charity, sold some items, and threw out things that had no value to anyone else. My sisters and I are fortunate that our parents downsized several times. Some heirs have to deal with a house, barn, garage, workshop, shed, and even back acres all packed with stuff that nobody wants.
I can understand that with some items, but others are much more personal. When my dad died 12 years ago, we went to the university to pick up about a dozen banker's boxes of his papers and things that had been stored for 16 years since he became too incapacitated to continue teaching and had to leave on disability. I spent weeks methodically going through his papers, shredding and shredding and shredding impersonal material like minutes of faculty meetings, endless lecture notes, and so forth. The articles I kept were so valuable to me, including uncountable letters, book translations of dad's, etc.
Around the same time, Dad's best friend, a colleague of his, sent me an audiotape made by a speech therapist who was helping my dad with his deteriorating speech. On the day the tape was made in 1998, my dad's best friend visited with him at the therapy session, and my dad addressed his friend with a tribute to their friendship; then these two longtime close friends, who shared a love of classical music, chocolate, highbrow humour, and more, chatted and laughed, with each other and the therapist. The bond was palpable and profound. I immediately digitized the audio. To me that sample of Dad's voice is worth much more than any amount of money. I haven't listened to it in a few years now, but just thinking about again makes me choke up.
andicus (04-26-22)
Old 04-28-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Wow. Great game last night. The guy who came in second (by a dollar!) was the cousin of a close friend of mine, she was having an extended family Zoom watch party.

But I would have taken one answer away from him. The clue was "McDonald's introduced these in 1983", and he said "What are chicken nuggets?". I think it should have been "Chicken McNuggets", the trademark name. You might think, well, Chicken McNuggets are technically chicken nuggets, so it's correct. But what if the clue had been "This is the signature sandwich at McDonalds", and the person answered "What is a double cheeseburger?" Would you have accepted that, as after all, the Big Mac is indeed just a double cheeseburger?
Old 04-28-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ They're both sort of correct.

The trademarked name is "Chicken McNuggets," but, as a general product, they're chicken nuggets. As far as I know, chicken nuggets were invented by McDonalds with the Chicken McNugget. They had been working on onion nuggets, which were to be a product similar to onion rings, which eventually became chicken nuggets. They introduced Chicken McNuggets to their restaurants, but also chicken nuggets to the greater world.

So either answer would, technically, be correct.

As for your example, "signature sandwich" is vague. Could be the simple hamburger or cheeseburgher (those are the "billions served" on their signs) or the Big Mac or the Quarter Pounder, unless the category was something more specific like 2 x 3, two words of three letters, or something to that effect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.