Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeopardy! Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 02-11-22, 01:22 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by Paff
Oh jeez, man, don't call it "Single Jeopardy", the hardcore fans will get their panties in a bunch.

Mayim Bialik made a slight change to 'Jeopardy!' and fans can't handle it (yahoo.com)
This makes me want to block an international border crossing.
Old 02-11-22, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,050 Likes on 741 Posts

And here I was, expecting to be rebuked for not including the !
Old 02-11-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Isn't the rule that they would be reminded in Single Jeopardy, but be ruled incorrect in Double and Final Jeopardy?
Yeah, I can sort of remember people being reminded to phrase the answer in the form of a question when they don't do it in the Jeopardy round; they don't accept the answer in the Double Jeopardy round.
Old 02-11-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Mohawk man looks like he has potential to be at least a five day champion.
Old 02-12-22, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Mohawk man looks like he has potential to be at least a five day champion.
Yeah, he had a solid game. I found his constant weight shifting distracting.
Old 03-17-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 734 Posts

Couple of interesting cases for the judges last night.

In one, the contestant answered the question wrong, realized his mistake and corrected it before Ken said "no". Luckily both answers he gave were wrong and neither of the other contestants answered at all so it didn't matter.

The one that bothered me was "This former Colts quarterback is now host of College Bowl". A contestant buzzed in with "Who is Manning?", and Ken replied "More specific" so the contestant added "Peyton Manning". But I think that because the clue specified "COLTS quarterback" the answer of "Manning" was specific enough because there's no other Colts' quarterback Manning. Now had the clue said "NFL quarterback", then you'd need to specify if it was Peyton, Eli, or Archie.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
majorjoe23 (03-17-22), story (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Iíve had about a dozen sponsored posts show up in my Facebook feed about ďallegationsĒ against Mayim Biyalik being confirmed. Iím not clicking on any of them, but anyone else seeing this?
Old 03-17-22, 01:40 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It's something about her likeness being used to sell CBD gummies without her consent. The same thing happened with Trebek.

Last edited by flansered; 03-17-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-17-22, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Iíve had about a dozen sponsored posts show up in my Facebook feed about ďallegationsĒ against Mayim Biyalik being confirmed. Iím not clicking on any of them, but anyone else seeing this?
Oh yeah, I've been bombarded with those for about a week now. It's like, when I scroll down my feed, there's a giant photograph of Mayim Biyalik every other post.

Didn't know what the fuck was going on;like if someone with a lot of money has some kind of vendetta against her, or what. (LeVar Burton? )

I haven't clicked on any of them, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was some CBD asshole spamming facebook. Never saw any about Alex Trebek, though.

Old 03-17-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The one that bothered me was "This former Colts quarterback is now host of College Bowl". A contestant buzzed in with "Who is Manning?", and Ken replied "More specific" so the contestant added "Peyton Manning". But I think that because the clue specified "COLTS quarterback" the answer of "Manning" was specific enough because there's no other Colts' quarterback Manning. Now had the clue said "NFL quarterback", then you'd need to specify if it was Peyton, Eli, or Archie.
I always think about it the opposite way, if some one asked you "Who is Manning?" would you come up with the answer?. In this case no, but if asked "Who is Peyton Manning?" the answer fits.
Old 03-17-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except by your logic, that would exclude all "Who is (last name only)?" answers. Like if I asked you, "Who is Costello?" would you come up with the answer? You might say something about comedy, or about new wave music. But if the clue was, "This comedian paired with Bud Abbott in the famous 'Who's on First' routine" then "Who is Costello" is a perfectly good answer because it's the only comedian with that name.

Likewise, there's only one former COLT quarterback with the name Manning and thus specification was not neccessary. That was the part I took exception to, and like I said already, had the clue not included the team I definitely would have expected a distinction as to which Manning.
Old 03-18-22, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Likewise, there's only one former COLT quarterback with the name Manning and thus specification was not neccessary. That was the part I took exception to, and like I said already, had the clue not included the team I definitely would have expected a distinction as to which Manning.
On the other hand, if they were to give an answer such as, One of these brothers began his career as a quarterback for the Colts, they would probably want a first name.

Same how, when the answer involves a President Roosevelt, they want the player to specify Teddy or FDR instead of just Roosevelt.

Old 03-18-22, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 791 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
On the other hand, if they were to give an answer such as, One of these brothers began his career as a quarterback for the Colts, they would probably want a first name.
Actually the way you wrote that answer, I think "Who are the Manning brothers" would be an acceptable question. It sounds like the brothers are what you're looking for.
Old 03-18-22, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,495 Likes on 944 Posts

We didn't get to watch the game. We turned on the TV, and it was playing NCAA basketball.

I was disappointed, because the returning champion is from my hometown.
Old 04-06-22, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting, they put up a disclaimer that last night's episode was filmed in January when there was a question about putin
Old 04-16-22, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

The following users liked this post:
andicus (04-16-22)
Old 04-19-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

She's, like, only 23 years old. How is she so good?
Old 04-20-22, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,050 Likes on 741 Posts

One of those rewarding finals where all 3 contestants miss it, and I get it.

Of course, I haven't won over $200 000. It's the small victories.
Old 04-21-22, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
One of those rewarding finals where all 3 contestants miss it, and I get it.
For me that was one of those finals where I don't have the slightest clue to the answer, then when it's revealed I'm like, "duh, of course".

Was last night the first ever solo FJ? I was going back and forth with the episode while doing other stuff, but I can't believe the two in-the-red contestants didn't at least guess at the final clue as a correct answer would at least allow them to play FJ. It's not like you have to write them a check if you're in the negative, do you?
And bonus because I knew the answer (wasn't a difficult question for a $2K clue).
Old 04-21-22, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

Was last night the first ever solo FJ?
No, but it is rare. It happened in 2020, and back in 2015 before that.
Old 04-21-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

For me that was one of those finals where I don't have the slightest clue to the answer, then when it's revealed I'm like, "duh, of course".

Was last night the first ever solo FJ? I was going back and forth with the episode while doing other stuff, but I can't believe the two in-the-red contestants didn't at least guess at the final clue as a correct answer would at least allow them to play FJ. It's not like you have to write them a check if you're in the negative, do you?
And bonus because I knew the answer (wasn't a difficult question for a $2K clue).
I thought solo Final Jeopardy happened more often than it apparently does. I figured it happened at least once per season, if not more, but I guess it doesn't. I wonder if they've ever had a situation where all three were in the negative or had $0 at the end of Double Jeopardy.

I was thinking the same thing with the last clue. There was no harm in the other two just taking a wild shot in the dark at getting the question correct. At that point they didn't have anything to lose. It seemed like an easy clue as well.
Old 04-21-22, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
I wonder if they've ever had a situation where all three were in the negative or had $0 at the end of Double Jeopardy.
So, I was gonna make a SNL Celebrity Jeopardy joke here, and in my Google searches I actually found this real Jeopardy comeback to the SNL parodies:

No luck finding the actual episode though, it appears to be from July of 2016
Old 04-21-22, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Being a sole contestant in FJ seems like a great opportunity to bet everything save a dollar but not everyone plays like James Holzhauer.

Also, if a sole contestant in FJ bets everything with a wrong answer would that be considered a loss?
Old 04-21-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 791 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Being a sole contestant in FJ seems like a great opportunity to bet everything save a dollar but not everyone plays like James Holzhauer.

Also, if a sole contestant in FJ bets everything with a wrong answer would that be considered a loss?
Yes, if you end the game with $0 you win nothing and they have 3 new contestants the next game. Games have ended with all of the final Jeopardy contestants at $0 and they all lose.
Old 04-21-22, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
Yes, if you end the game with $0 you win nothing and they have 3 new contestants the next game. Games have ended with all of the final Jeopardy contestants at $0 and they all lose.
They still award the second and third place awards to people that end with $0 or less. You cannot return as a champion with $0 however.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.