TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I hate the ones for prescription medication that are 3x longer than regular commercials. And features soothing piano music in the background while some sympathetic voice-over tried to convince you that you need this. All the while people are having fun in slo motion that has nothing to do with the symptoms.

Do people really go to their Dr. & say "Gimme that one that has people swimming in a lake with a Golden Retriever, I think I need some of that."

Plus the fact that big pharma can afford 90 second commercials on every channel at every break says a lot about how insanely profitable health care is. These guys are worse than the auto insurance companies.
And the possible side effects include headaches, drowsiness, leg pain, dizziness, loss of feeling in the hands and feet, mood swings, depression, suicidal impulses, impotence, sterility, explosive diarrhea, bleeding from the eyes, nose, and ears, coma, and in some cases, death.
Old 11-24-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder how many times this actually happens. And if you have enough money to purchase a luxury car without your spouse knowing, how influenced are you really by these commercials?
I have read that the Lexus Christmas commercials are actually very successful and lead to a noticeable bump in sales and they actually do provide the obnoxious bow. Toyotathon commercials are really lucrative too
Old 11-25-15, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8sZS4Wu5PZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-25-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate the ones for prescription medication that are 3x longer than regular commercials. And features soothing piano music in the background while some sympathetic voice-over tried to convince you that you need this. All the while people are having fun in slo motion that has nothing to do with the symptoms.
If i hear the phrase "moderate to severe" one more time
Old 11-25-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Right now my most hated ads are the ones for Panera Bread. They come off as the most pretentious eating establishment on the planet.

But then in one of their most recent ads, they took it a step further. They spend it talking about the right way to make a turkey sandwich (thick cut turkey, et al). That part isn't so bad, but the second part they say "The right way to eat it, is however you eat it" while showing a guy eating the sandwich literally off his baby's ass. I'm sorry, but that is NOT the right way to eat anything!

EDIT: Guess I should have went a bit further back in the thread. It was already posted!
Old 11-25-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8sZS4Wu5PZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Who? I thought that was Ed "Fight Club" Norton.

"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."
Old 11-25-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Right now my most hated ads are the ones for Panera Bread. They come off as the most pretentious eating establishment on the planet.
Mentioned it before but that's how I feel about the Subaru commercials. Especially the radio commercials. So damn pretentious. I was looking for a car a couple months ago and even though I really like the look of the Outback and the Forester and they have great reviews, I just couldn't do it because of their advertising.

So and so was stuck in the snow but we just drove right through to the ski slope. Asshat
Old 11-25-15, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you got a car and you named him "Brad"
Old 11-25-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
As stupid as the dialogue is, that girl's facial expressions while she talks are priceless.

And for the rest of you, in case I didn't share this link before:

http://www.commercialsihate.com/comm...te_forum1.html
Old 11-25-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, AMA supports a ban on prescription drug ads.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/9...on-drug-ad-ban
Old 11-25-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

At this point, I am sick of every reference to Star Wars that I see.
Old 11-25-15, 04:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Plus the fact that big pharma can afford 90 second commercials on every channel at every break says a lot about how insanely profitable health care is. These guys are worse than the auto insurance companies.

The current advertising account I work on happens to be pharma. Just throwing out things in no particular order:

- the advertising itself is HEAVILY regulated by the government. Each piece of creative (whether it's online, print, TV) has to be approved by the government (PCA approval), who will come back with feedback on things the ad might or might not say, or even imply. Wonder why the ads seem so generically similar? Well, doing anything remotely different will likely get a rejection (and the review process can take 90 days each time)
- ad length: yes, those ads tend to be long because of the ISI (important safety informtion). I can assure you that pharma companies wish they can do a :30 and not pay 3x/4x times the amount to get the same message out. They also have to still use a book of record - when you see the "See our ad in...magazine" in the TV ad. Yup, still a rule if you're asking "why not use the internet instead?"
- specifying all of the other things you might get: also part of the rules. It's an aggregate of the potential symptoms a person might encounter so if one person got it, on the list it goes.

My last account was a large telecom, and on a company to company level vs pharma companies, telecoms spend hell of alot more money on advertising (pharma seems like they're all over the place, but in aggregate - plus they're more likely in less expensive, higher frequency cable TV placements. Telecoms are on pricier Prime Network, Sports, etc). Packaged consumer good companies like J&J are the top spenders and dwarfs everyone.
Old 11-25-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
does this improve your opinion of the commercial?:

Old 11-25-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's the girl in the ad? Doesn't look at all like her.
Old 11-25-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Yeah, I just saw the "football practice" commercial yesterday, where a couple high school dudes in football uniforms eat turkey sandwiches in the stands after a game, or practice or something. The super-pretentious voice-over says their turkey is "all natural" and that's "the way it should be".

Bitch, ain't nothin' "natural" about ANY of the food we eat. ALL of it - every last thing - has been cross-pollinated and cross-bred for centuries. Corn was originally a grass (like wheat) until Mesoamericans bred generation after generation of genetic mutation to make the vegetable we know today. All those varieties of apples at Whole Foods? Yeah, they didn't come straight from the Garden of Eden... they were bred that way. And turkeys, famously, have been bred to grow faster and fatter than ever before.

That's why I hate these anti-GMO nutcases. Humans have been modifying food for thousands of years. Now we can do it carefully and specifically.. and somehow that's bad? Fuck you, you anti-science shitwits!
Old 11-26-15, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by greydt
The current advertising account I work on happens to be pharma. Just throwing out things in no particular order:

- the advertising itself is HEAVILY regulated by the government. Each piece of creative (whether it's online, print, TV) has to be approved by the government (PCA approval), who will come back with feedback on things the ad might or might not say, or even imply. Wonder why the ads seem so generically similar? Well, doing anything remotely different will likely get a rejection (and the review process can take 90 days each time)
- ad length: yes, those ads tend to be long because of the ISI (important safety informtion). I can assure you that pharma companies wish they can do a :30 and not pay 3x/4x times the amount to get the same message out. They also have to still use a book of record - when you see the "See our ad in...magazine" in the TV ad. Yup, still a rule if you're asking "why not use the internet instead?"
- specifying all of the other things you might get: also part of the rules. It's an aggregate of the potential symptoms a person might encounter so if one person got it, on the list it goes.

My last account was a large telecom, and on a company to company level vs pharma companies, telecoms spend hell of alot more money on advertising (pharma seems like they're all over the place, but in aggregate - plus they're more likely in less expensive, higher frequency cable TV placements. Telecoms are on pricier Prime Network, Sports, etc). Packaged consumer good companies like J&J are the top spenders and dwarfs everyone.
Even with all that I do not think it is regulated enough. A drug should be really mature I think before it should be able to have a TV commercial. As the pharm companys give incentives to doctors to prescribe their new medicines, it just seems to me a disaster ready to happen. I am not convinced TV is an appropriate forum for drugs with often lethal potential side effects.
Old 11-26-15, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder how many times this actually happens. And if you have enough money to purchase a luxury car without your spouse knowing, how influenced are you really by these commercials?
Merry Christmas! I got you a gigantic monthly car and insurance bill. Enjoy the next 5+ years.
Old 11-27-15, 08:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Even with all that I do not think it is regulated enough. A drug should be really mature I think before it should be able to have a TV commercial. As the pharm companys give incentives to doctors to prescribe their new medicines, it just seems to me a disaster ready to happen. I am not convinced TV is an appropriate forum for drugs with often lethal potential side effects.
Interesting - when it comes to "black box warning" drugs (not all drugs are the same - the ones with potentially lethal side effects are definitely separated and denoted as such), why do you see TV as being different from any other advertising channels like magazines, site banners, Paid & Organic Search, etc?

Just curious because I never heard of TV as being a sort of "pinnacle" in advertising to achieve, and was wondering where the perception might be coming from
Old 11-27-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
At this point, I am sick of every reference to Star Wars that I see.
You know things have gone too far when Star Wars has claimed Cover Girl.
Old 11-27-15, 11:48 PM

Interesting - when it comes to "black box warning" drugs (not all drugs are the same - the ones with potentially lethal side effects are definitely separated and denoted as such), why do you see TV as being different from any other advertising channels like magazines, site banners, Paid & Organic Search, etc?

Just curious because I never heard of TV as being a sort of "pinnacle" in advertising to achieve, and was wondering where the perception might be coming from
I think TV ads are pervasive and much more efficacious than print ads for something like a drug when you have living, breathing individuals implied to be on the drug and having a breakthrough from that drug. And breakthrough drugs do tend to have occurrences of worse or undiscovered side effects once in widespread use. I suspect I would not see a drug commercial every commercial break of almost every show if they were not extremely effective at raising revenue.
Old 11-28-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it's for much of the same reasons you no longer see liquor or cigarettes advertised on TV. Even though they do get a lot of ads in other mediums.
Old 11-28-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it's for much of the same reasons you no longer see liquor or cigarettes advertised on TV. Even though they do get a lot of ads in other mediums.
The law banning liquor ads expired several years ago and there are a ton shown daily after 7 or 8pm.
Old 12-01-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
I can't imagine it goes over well in most segments, like screw you, I'm trying to make my mortgage payment and you're getting an Audi under the tree, though I guess that's not who they're targeting
There's an Audi commercial I saw the other day where there are multiple segments, but one is a guy surprising his wife with a Lexus in the driveway, and she looks longingly at the Audi driving past... seriously? They don't show the divorce papers being filed, however.

There's also a jewelry commercial that's a joint one by Kay, Jared, and Zales. It's actually kinda sweet to start out with, with a bunch of couples being best friends, and then they hit you with the "two diamond" ring, because she's both your best friend and the love of your life. Ugh.
Old 12-01-15, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
The law banning liquor ads expired several years ago and there are a ton shown daily after 7 or 8pm.
Ya, I used to love the barcadI commercials
Old 12-01-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tell you what I'm rapidly tiring of: the Capital One commercials with Jennifer Garner. The woman is in her early 40s and talks like one of her kids. I don't care how good she looks, bring back the barbarians. They were hilarious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.