Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S1E18) -- "All-Star Team-Up" -- 4/14/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: The Flash (S1E18) -- "All-Star Team-Up" -- 4/14/15

The thing is the writers/producers/show runners of the Flash and Arrow want it both ways. I have no problem if they want to create original characters for the shows but they want to use existing characters from an established universal (although one in continual flux) and make dramatic changes. At minimum it's lazy and at worst it's disingenuous. It's cheap lip service to fans. It's like they are saying "look, look we are using this character from the DC universe aren't we smart....of course he doesn't really fit so were and changing him... a lot." Having Linda Park in this show as a love interest for Barry is the best example. I actually like Roth and Malese Jow and would happily accept them as an original character.
Old 04-18-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
The thing is the writers/producers/show runners of the Flash and Arrow want it both ways. I have no problem if they want to create original characters for the shows but they want to use existing characters from an established universal (although one in continual flux) and make dramatic changes. At minimum it's lazy and at worst it's disingenuous. It's cheap lip service to fans. It's like they are saying "look, look we are using this character from the DC universe aren't we smart....of course he doesn't really fit so were and changing him... a lot." Having Linda Park in this show as a love interest for Barry is the best example. I actually like Roth and Malese Jow and would happily accept them as an original character.
And the very next month in the comics, Barry might be going on a date with Linda Park. I never got this complaint. Comic characters have elvolved and changed so much over the years in the comic medium, so why is it a big deal if a TV series does it? Hell sometimes the way the TV series does it is so much better that it gets adapted to the comics.
Old 04-18-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I don't care about the comic talk, I just think it's silly to hold television Barry who has been the Flash for mere months to the standards of his comic book counterpart who has been the Flash for decades.
Old 04-19-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I imagine they will save his shrinking power for that new show next season when the Atom will be a featured star.

These producers have been pretty responsive to fan complaints, I imagine they've heard all the Iron Man clone talk.
I don't watch Green Arrow so all this Atom stuff is new to me. Was it said on Green Arrow why he decided to call himself The Atom? It makes sense in the comics since he shrinks but didn't really make any sense here. I did love that Cisco asked him if he was tied to that name.

And please kill Iris (for drama or whatever) and bring Felicity on this show. I love her character.

Oh, and Barry secret identity is getting as bad as the Spider-Man movies. Why wear a mask anymore? Soon everyone will know his secret identity. Guess they are going to lock the bee villain away so she can't tell anyone now either. It's starting to feel like all of his enemies and friends (and acquaintances) know that The Flash is Barry...except Iris. (At least they acknowledged this with a funny line in this episode.)

Minor criticisms but my family and I are loving this show. Other than Face-Off, this is my kid's favorite show on TV and also probably my wife's second favorite which is really saying something. I feel they are doing the story build-up on the Wells confrontation really well.
Old 04-19-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I think there's room for both what's on screen and what has been either taken from the comics or modified towards a television medium.

It's not like they're specifically following some story arc, so it's simply comparing the two formats and how they have transitioned the characters to the screen. Should book talk be kept separate from a film translation of said book?
Yes if it is not a spoiler thread for people who have seen the movie. Talking about the comic threads which are incredibly spoiler-ish is like a thread on Game of Thrones where no book spoiler control is done, or discussion of Deathly Hallows Part 2 with spoilers before the movie came out. People need to realize comics are NOT common knowledge, but that does not prevent someone from enjoying a comic based show.
Old 04-19-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I don't watch Green Arrow so all this Atom stuff is new to me. Was it said on Green Arrow why he decided to call himself The Atom? It makes sense in the comics since he shrinks but didn't really make any sense here. I did love that Cisco asked him if he was tied to that name.

And please kill Iris (for drama or whatever) and bring Felicity on this show. I love her character.

Oh, and Barry secret identity is getting as bad as the Spider-Man movies. Why wear a mask anymore? Soon everyone will know his secret identity. Guess they are going to lock the bee villain away so she can't tell anyone now either. It's starting to feel like all of his enemies and friends (and acquaintances) know that The Flash is Barry...except Iris. (At least they acknowledged this with a funny line in this episode.)

Minor criticisms but my family and I are loving this show. Other than Face-Off, this is my kid's favorite show on TV and also probably my wife's second favorite which is really saying something. I feel they are doing the story build-up on the Wells confrontation really well.
Yes it is super silly. Maybe Iris will have one of those alternate timeline flashbacks like Cisco. I doubt they finish the season without her knowing.
Old 04-19-15, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Yes, it's an acronym for what he calls the suit.
Old 04-19-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Yes it is super silly. Maybe Iris will have one of those alternate timeline flashbacks like Cisco. I doubt they finish the season without her knowing.
With how fast they are advancing the story, I tend to agree. She'll find out in the finale. An alternate flashback sounds like the perfect way to do it too.
Old 04-19-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

the opening with them catching a whole ton of regular criminals was pretty good fun, as was the "it's a bird it's a plane" thing
Old 04-19-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Did everyone who's complaining about Atom not shrinking miss the gigantic anvil of foreshadowing that crashed down when he held up the bee at the end? It's totally coming. Give the man a second to work out the tech. The suit barely works as it is.
Old 04-19-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

My complaint with the Atom is that he's proven he's an incompetent fighter at best. Both shows have let Oliver and Barry almost immediately accept any yahoo that shows up wanting to fight crime.
Old 04-19-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd hardly call a guy walking in with a million dollar flying/technological suit, "any yahoo."