Gotham (S1E19) -- "Beasts of Prey" -- 4/13/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Gotham (S1E19) -- "Beasts of Prey" -- 4/13/15

"GOTHAM" - (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

A COLD CASE IS RE-OPENED ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, APRIL 13, ON FOX

Gordon and Bullock investigate a cold case involving the Ogre, a serial killer who targets young women in Gotham City. Meanwhile, Fish plots her escape from the Dollmaker, and Bruce and Selina confront Reggie in the all new "Beasts of Prey" episode of GOTHAM airing Monday, April 13 (8:00-9:00 ET/PT) on FOX. (GTH-119) (TV-14 L, S, V)

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Zabryna Guevara as Captain Sarah Essen, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the future Riddler, Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya, Andrew Stewart Jones as Crispus Allen, John Doman as Carmine Falcone

Guest Cast: Peter Scolari as Commissioner Loeb, Morena Baccarin as Dr. Leslie Thompkins, Colm Feore as Dr. Francis Dulmacher, David O'Hara as Reggie, Dashiell Eaves as Kelly, Milo Ventimiglia as Jason Lennon, Willa Fitzgerald as Grace Fairchild, PJ Griffith as The Catcher, Brendan Griffin as Officer Len Moore, Barbara Rosenblat as Lidia Bicchieri

Episode 19 of 22
Old 04-13-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Gotham (S1E19) -- "Beasts of Prey" -- 4/13/15

Maybe because Daredevil was so good this just came off as boring. I might try to watch it again. I might have fell asleep at some point. I have no idea why Gordon thinks the serial killer was sent by the mayor or whoever that guy was at the end. The flashbacks didn't make sense to me. At first I thought it was barkeeper's memory we were watching but it went past the bar.

Also didn't understand the shooting gallery thing. The kids go to some kind of abandoned building. I'm not seeing how that was a shooting gallery . I did like how kitten girl murdered that guy. She would do good on the walking dead.

Don't want to go all super negative on the show. Besides the guy being pushed out the window I didn't like anything about this episode. Might just be a setup episode for things to come. I'm not sure why Penguin needed a new bar to kill a guy but I guess that might turn into something.
Old 04-14-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Maybe because Daredevil was so good this just came off as boring. I might try to watch it again. I might have fell asleep at some point. I have no idea why Gordon thinks the serial killer was sent by the mayor or whoever that guy was at the end. The flashbacks didn't make sense to me. At first I thought it was barkeeper's memory we were watching but it went past the bar.

Also didn't understand the shooting gallery thing. The kids go to some kind of abandoned building. I'm not seeing how that was a shooting gallery . I did like how kitten girl murdered that guy. She would do good on the walking dead.

Don't want to go all super negative on the show. Besides the guy being pushed out the window I didn't like anything about this episode. Might just be a setup episode for things to come. I'm not sure why Penguin needed a new bar to kill a guy but I guess that might turn into something.
Seriously? Sounds like you slept through the entire episode because everything you mentioned was super clear. I am not a gigantic super hero guy. Seems like this show alienates that crowd which is pretty prevalent here. I think this show is great and carries multiple interlocking storylines extremely well.
Old 04-14-15, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

A lot of people doing drugs at the shooting gallery.
Old 04-14-15, 05:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

loved this episode....
Old 04-14-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been a huge fan of every episode, but I thought this one was pretty good. It seemed to move some of the plot along.
Old 04-14-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The Fish Mooney stuff has been doing nothing for me, I wish it had a point. I thought everything else had been handled fairly well of late. Bruce now knows Selina is capable of murder, which adds a far darker edge to Catwoman. The implication was she did it to protect Bruce.

I don't think I would have had Bruce seen her kill Alfred's friend. It would have been better characterization for Bruce's development had he done some detective work and discovered that on his own.
Old 04-14-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Fish Mooney stuff has been doing nothing for me, I wish it had a point.
It's literally on an island off on its own that has nothing to do with the rest of the plot. It's weird.

Who the hell thinks that someone claiming he wants unconditional love is a good bet for casual sex ?
Old 04-14-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It's literally on an island off on its own that has nothing to do with the rest of the plot. It's weird.
I wonder if they are even filming Jada's scenes with the rest of the cast and crew? She wasn't supposed to be on the back-end of season one, it wouldn't surprise me if the producers wrote her character purposely away to fit her schedule and location.
Old 04-15-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I didn't mind her character at first but this new storyline is so booooooooring.
Old 04-16-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I didn't even recognize that was Milo Ventigmilia until toward the end.
Old 04-16-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The long breaks did kill momentum for Gotham's long season. I was more excited to see each episode when they were happening fairly regularly.
Old 04-17-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Maybe because Daredevil was so good this just came off as boring. I might try to watch it again. I might have fell asleep at some point.
Uh...yeah, I think you definitely fell asleep at some point.

I have no idea why Gordon thinks the serial killer was sent by the mayor or whoever that guy was at the end.
That guy is the commissioner. Did you see the previous episode? Even if you didn't, everything was made clear in about a 2-minute span of this episode.

Also didn't understand the shooting gallery thing. The kids go to some kind of abandoned building. I'm not seeing how that was a shooting gallery.
They guy they were trying to find was "shooting up". Get it?
Old 04-18-15, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the episode. The next three should be even better.
Old 04-19-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Yeah I didn't mind her character at first but this new storyline is so booooooooring.
and the one good thing about it, Jeffery Combs, got taken out right away
Old 04-20-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't fall asleep during this episode, but I did get so bored about halfway through that I had to pause it and take a break.

At least the Fish story seems to be moving on from exile island. If they did initially intend for her to be a short term character and this was written to keep her on the show then they did a great disservice to her. It would have been so much better if she just disappeared for several episodes, even the rest of the season, to lick her wounds and return with a scheme to get revenge and regain power. If that does happen, I imagine a fan edit or something that cuts all the Fish bits from the past several weeks and combines them into a single or two-part Fish's journey flashback episode could actually be decent. But they just don't work in the current format of the show.

Gordon's story was ok, except like others I don't like flashbacks that seem to come out of no where and just mess with the narrative flow. And while the flashbacks were OK I don't think they did a very good job setting up the killer as an exceptional threat to Gordon or his lady friend after the reveal. I guessing the payoff will be in a future episode when the Dr. is his guest.

Penguin's story was nothing.

Not much to the Bruce one either, except the final push at the end. It would have worked much better with a little more restraint. I didn't need to see Bruce doing jazz hands on the guys ass to know what was passing through his head. It would have been much more effective in showing the bond that has developed between them if the cues were more subtle. A hardened glare, hesitation that softens to defeat, a shot of selena reading his decision, a look of disappointment/confusion/sadness and quickly deciding to take action herself. Instead we got some pantomime.

Last edited by wmansir; 04-20-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wonder if they are even filming Jada's scenes with the rest of the cast and crew? She wasn't supposed to be on the back-end of season one, it wouldn't surprise me if the producers wrote her character purposely away to fit her schedule and location.
If they're going to kill her off, which I've heard that they are, then basically the whole storyline feels like pointless musical chairs. Apparently she isn't going to be in the next season. Her whole storyline feels dull and kind of pointless. It has no bearing on the rest of the narrative, and frankly, I don't care about it very much. Her character is kind of charismatic, but not really interesting enough. Then again, most people on this show aren't very interesting .
Old 04-20-15, 10:09 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

If they're going to kill her off, which I've heard that they are, then basically the whole storyline feels like pointless musical chairs. Apparently she isn't going to be in the next season. Her whole storyline feels dull and kind of pointless. It has no bearing on the rest of the narrative, and frankly, I don't care about it very much. Her character is kind of charismatic, but not really interesting enough. Then again, most people on this show aren't very interesting .
I hope that she takes out Maroni or Falcon before Cobblepot does... and then she is taken out by Cobblepot.

It would send Cobblepot to the top of the crime-boss foodchain but his ascension would feel incomplete dince Fish did the dirty work.

Oooo... maybe Fish take out Cobblepot's mom... that would be cool.
Old 04-20-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm wondering if they're testing the waters to see if they want to insert her into the comics ala Renne Montoya, Harley Quinn, and so forth.
Old 04-20-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The preview for next episode showed Barbara in the serial killer's death room. I'm hoping against hope that whatever experience she has in there completes the downward spiral and turns her into an ultra-dark super-villain. If it just ends with her being killed or with her being saved by Jim which brings them back together, I'll be really disappointed.
Old 04-20-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I think most of us are hoping, but I think that what'll happen is exactly what you said, the Ogre is going to use her as leverage against Gordon and he is going to rescue her. The writers will have to figure out something with the pseudo-triangle with her, Gordon, and Lee though. Incidentally, when did "Lee" becomes a nickname for "Leslie?" Apparently death makes her super-horny, so she and Gordon are very compatible. Barbara is dumb enough to go home and "sail" with a serial killer though.
Old 04-20-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fox is desperate for hits and Gotham has been one of their highest rated shows. Fish was originally planned to exit the season before her current exile arc. For an original character she has come better than advertised but she wasn't the primary reason this show is successful.
Old 04-20-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I think most of us are hoping, but I think that what'll happen is exactly what you said, the Ogre is going to use her as leverage against Gordon and he is going to rescue her. The writers will have to figure out something with the pseudo-triangle with her, Gordon, and Lee though. Incidentally, when did "Lee" becomes a nickname for "Leslie?" Apparently death makes her super-horny, so she and Gordon are very compatible. Barbara is dumb enough to go home and "sail" with a serial killer though.
My guess is that this will ultimately bring Gordon and Barbara back together. Lee will end up the spurned lover and she's the one that will become some kind of villain. The show has certainly hinted at her having a dark side.
Old 04-20-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
My guess is that this will ultimately bring Gordon and Barbara back together. Lee will end up the spurned lover and she's the one that will become some kind of villain. The show has certainly hinted at her having a dark side.
Har LEE Quinn? Doubt it, she's older than Joker.

I liked the interaction of Bruce and Selina, classic Batman and Catwoman approaches.
Old 04-20-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kefrank
They've hinted a lot more at Barbara having a dark side than Lee. Her character is apparently a part of the mythos in the comics, isn't she? She just doesn't strike me as the villainous type. She doesn't strike me as that evil. Though apparently death makes her super-horny.