TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S5E13) -- "Forget" -- 3/8/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S5E13) -- "Forget" -- 3/8/15

Originally Posted by rw2516
So, there is a group of bad guys out there called Wolves or something that carved the W into the walkers forehead. Obviously the A hand stamp is a reference to the W forehead carve, but what correlation/meaning are the writers trying to get across between the two?
I don't know that the "A" has anything to do with the "W" - but the "A" certainly reminded Rick of the train car at Terminus, didn't it?
Old 03-09-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't know that the "A" has anything to do with the "W" - but the "A" certainly reminded Rick of the train car at Terminus, didn't it?
I thought he was thinking of the W he had just seen that day.
Old 03-09-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm really not liking where the show seems to be going with Rick's group becoming the bad guys.
Their distrust of Alexandria is bugging me for some reason. No, I don't expect them to put up their feet and return to suburbia right away, but after the initial distrust, they have accepted others. A good percentage of the group has only been around for a season or two. And something like this is what they've been looking for.

It really seems like a control issue. They can accept Abraham and company, but only after they prove themselves and and demonstrate that they are not a challenger to Rick's authority. In Alexandria, they will be assimilated into a larger group, and won't be in charge anymore. On the one hand, I can see it being an adjustment, but considering the endless nightmare they lived outside those walls, I don't think it would be a big problem for many people.

It also seems like there is some resentment of the Alexandrians because they obviously haven't had it as hard as Rick's group has. The area was evacuated when everything started, and they were sent to this planned, self-sustaining community early in the outbreak. They quickly erected walls, and have been living in relative safety with more creature comforts and amenities than Rick's group has had since Hershel's farm. Understandable to a point, but hardly fair.

I'm not a comic reader, so I don't know how this story ends, but I could see the core group either being banished or self-banishing themselves. It would serve to slim down the group (Gabriel, Eugene, Tara) without killing them.

I just hope they get some sort of redemption. I don't want them to be bad guys.

Last edited by Jason; 03-09-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They referred to Carol as "Scarol" on Talking Dead. That's a fitting nickname.
Old 03-09-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Plus, it was a black horse so it was doomed anyways.
/thread ... Fuck it ... /internets ... You win! ::

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm really not liking where the show seems to be going with Rick's group becoming the bad guys.
I still contend they haven't been "good" guys for quite some time. These shades of grey are fascinating to explore.

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Where the f is Gabriel??
See above ... Had to make room for the black horse.

Originally Posted by DRG
"I was going to top you off, but your red-headed friend finished off all our booze."
Line of the episode: "I am a large man and I have drank many beers to compensate for that fact."

Originally Posted by thebunk
As a critic of pretty much every storyline thus far in this series, I have to say I love where they are taking the show (assuming they do not pussy out that is). I like it is dark and you are seeing the effects that these people have been through on some (PTSD, extra cautious/paranoid, etc.).
Agreed. After so much repetition this is a welcome storyline. I wish they would slow down and spend more time exploring each character as they try to decompress and adjust. It would be appropriate to show us back stories in this process. Instead, it looks like Alexandria will be gone by the end of the season and we'll be back to the same routine.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Daryl make a 180. I figured he would never adjust or even want to be a part of this society. Remember his (still unexplained) reactions at the country club/golf pro shop? Take his pre-apocalypse life and add in resentment to the Nth power over Alexandria having it so easy this whole time.

So what is the endgame for Carol?
Old 03-09-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As for the "W"... maybe there's a crazed Woodbury survivor out there lol.

My real guess is that it has something to do with Morgan, but can't imagine what.
Old 03-09-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the A is just a no-so-subtle Scarlet Letter reference.
Old 03-10-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Their distrust of Alexandria is bugging me for some reason. No, I don't expect them to put up their feet and return to suburbia right away, but after the initial distrust, they have accepted others. A good percentage of the group has only been around for a season or two. And something like this is what they've been looking for.

It really seems like a control issue. They can accept Abraham and company, but only after they prove themselves and and demonstrate that they are not a challenger to Rick's authority. In Alexandria, they will be assimilated into a larger group, and won't be in charge anymore. On the one hand, I can see it being an adjustment, but considering the endless nightmare they lived outside those walls, I don't think it would be a big problem for many people.

It also seems like there is some resentment of the Alexandrians because they obviously haven't had it as hard as Rick's group has. The area was evacuated when everything started, and they were sent to this planned, self-sustaining community early in the outbreak. They quickly erected walls, and have been living in relative safety with more creature comforts and amenities than Rick's group has had since Hershel's farm. Understandable to a point, but hardly fair.

I'm not a comic reader, so I don't know how this story ends, but I could see the core group either being banished or self-banishing themselves. It would serve to slim down the group (Gabriel, Eugene, Tara) without killing them.

I can understand where you're coming from... however, I think that there is a wishful thinking on the part of us viewers that Alexandria will be a safe oasis. If we consider the type of groups that Rick and Co. have encountered out there, it is unrealistic to think that Alexandria would be able to survive an attack from marauders. There's something else going on.

I think that as soon as the last hold-out from the group (Daryl or Carol) finally lets down their guard, the truth about Alexandria will be revealed.

It's certainly been quite an interesting season.
Old 03-10-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I think the A is just a no-so-subtle Scarlet Letter reference.
I can't believe it took this thread 57 posts for someone to come up with that not-so-subtle reference. Rick got stamped with the Scarlet Letter for adultery. I practically laughed out loud at how hokey that scene came off.

For a minute I thought Daryl was going to tame the horse. The horse getting devoured by zombies was intended as a omen or foreshadowing for Daryl's own plight if he struck out on his own.
Old 03-10-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I can't believe it took this thread 57 posts for someone to come up with that not-so-subtle reference. Rick got stamped with the Scarlet Letter for adultery. I practically laughed out loud at how hokey that scene came off.

For a minute I thought Daryl was going to tame the horse. The horse getting devoured by zombies was intended as a omen or foreshadowing for Daryl's own plight if he struck out on his own.
For a basic cable program geared for the masses, it was pretty damn subtle.
Old 03-10-15, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Talking Dead they said the horse was a nod to the comic as though it was an important reference for the comics. Can someone who has read the comic please explain without any spoilers for the show?
Old 03-10-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Not important. The horse is in the comic and his name is Buttons. Showing the horse's death was probably done for the dozen people who wondered what happened to Buttons.

Not to spoil anything in the comics, but the horse seemed to disappear after it went on it's killer rampage when Carl tried to feed him a chocolate bar.
Old 03-10-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sq240
On the Talking Dead they said the horse was a nod to the comic as though it was an important reference for the comics. Can someone who has read the comic please explain without any spoilers for the show?
Pretty sure they mean this: (very minor spoiler, equivalent to like...the pilot episode)

Spoiler:

During the time Rick gets out of the coma but isn't with his family, he encounters a horse in a barn/farm area, talks to it and rides it into Atlanta. it gets overtaken by walkers, which he cries over.
Old 03-10-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Pretty sure they mean this: (very minor spoiler)

Spoiler:

During the time Rick gets out of the coma but isn't with his family, he encounters a horse in a barn/farm area, talks to it and rides it into Atlanta. it gets overtaken by walkers, which he cries over.
Different horse.
Spoiler:
Buttons was Maggie's horse on the farm. He disappeared when the farm fell. Somehow he made his way to Alexandria where Aaron and Eric were using him. Then I think Kirkman forgot about the horse because it was never seen again.
Old 03-10-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Wow, I don't even remember the horse having a name. Interesting connection.
Old 03-10-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's only two animals in the entire comic that have names. Buttons and
Spoiler:
Shiva
Old 03-10-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Yeah, but one is far less memorable than the other.
Old 03-10-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Not important. The horse is in the comic and his name is Buttons. Showing the horse's death was probably done for the dozen people who wondered what happened to Buttons.

Not to spoil anything in the comics, but the horse seemed to disappear after it went on it's killer rampage when Carl tried to feed him a chocolate bar.
Honestly, after the issue where
Spoiler:
Carl and his buddies attempt to sodomize the horse while Eugene watches
it's no wonder the horse disappeared.
Old 03-10-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sq240
Off track rant ... I don't watch Talking Dead because of the crutch it has become for the show. However I was catching the rebroadcast of TWD Sunday night and caught the tail of Talking Dead. Did Chris Hardwick seriously end the show with (paraphrased) "we'll finish this conversation on the online post-show"?! WTF? There is a show talking about the show talking about the show?
Old 03-10-15, 09:45 PM

I was thinking when they saw the 'W' on the walker, they specifically showed it upside-down as though it was really an 'M' maybe for Morgan.

As Morgan was following the group he saw markings on trees so maybe he was marking where he had been too. The missing gun that Rick hid was probably taken by Morgan. It has a 'J' written on it so we'll know when we see it again.

It's probably a 'W' though as the other times we saw it they were on walker bodies with the limbs removed to keep them alive. I don't think Morgan would do that. Plus, the 'W' 'M' walker was still walking around until Carol shot him.

I hope we get a Morgan episode soon.
Old 03-11-15, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jason

I disagree completely.

First, even if members of the group have not been there since inception, only having gone through Terminus would be enough for anyone to be at the very least, super paranoid, let alone have a major case of PTSD. Being housed together in a box car waiting to die and get eaten?! Really?

Second, re: Abraham and company, their was initial distrust but even then, you are comparing a small group of 4 or 5 people vs. a small community within closed in walls (again, akin to Terminus). Not really a fair comparison at all.

Lastly, I think the perceived resentment that you see in some characters (not all), is really a combination of PTSD and what these people have endured. Again though, a perfectly reasonable feeling to have in my view, given what these characters have endured. You say it is hardly fair, but what is in this post-apocalyptic world? Regardless, I think it is a real emotion to have.
Old 03-11-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

After they had to put down Buttons the horse after the walkers gutted it, I was expecting them to use the horse for food. Given how hunting for food is so important for the group, I'm surprised they would let so much fresh meat just go to waste.

With that horse, they could've throw a big backyard party and grilled some steaks and hamburgers for everyone (horse meat reportedly tastes like a combination of beef and venison).
Old 03-11-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Off track rant ... I don't watch Talking Dead because of the crutch it has become for the show. However I was catching the rebroadcast of TWD Sunday night and caught the tail of Talking Dead. Did Chris Hardwick seriously end the show with (paraphrased) "we'll finish this conversation on the online post-show"?! WTF? There is a show talking about the show talking about the show?
That show has morphed over the years. When it first came on, Talking Dead was nothing more than a promotional vehicle for TWD. They've gotten better about interviewing the cast and crew, though I have no idea why they continue to discuss future possibilities for characters with actors that are contractually bound to keep it secret.
Old 03-11-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I disagree completely.

First, even if members of the group have not been there since inception, only having gone through Terminus would be enough for anyone to be at the very least, super paranoid, let alone have a major case of PTSD. Being housed together in a box car waiting to die and get eaten?! Really?

Second, re: Abraham and company, their was initial distrust but even then, you are comparing a small group of 4 or 5 people vs. a small community within closed in walls (again, akin to Terminus). Not really a fair comparison at all.

Lastly, I think the perceived resentment that you see in some characters (not all), is really a combination of PTSD and what these people have endured. Again though, a perfectly reasonable feeling to have in my view, given what these characters have endured. You say it is hardly fair, but what is in this post-apocalyptic world? Regardless, I think it is a real emotion to have.
The question that should be going through their heads is, "given how long, and what we had to go through to survive, how has this unskilled Alexandria group survived and maintained their protection behind the walls. They have had it made the entire time. Paranoia is to be expected.
Old 03-11-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I disagree completely.

Well, I have zero experience with PTSD, for which I am extremely thankful, so I'll have to defer here. If it's anything like what's portrayed, it must be bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.