Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jon Stewart is quitting The Daily Show (new host: Trevor Noah)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jon Stewart is quitting The Daily Show (new host: Trevor Noah)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
re: Jon Stewart is quitting The Daily Show (new host: Trevor Noah)

So he's only going to be out for 12 weeks, now everyone stop crying and all that shit.
Old 02-11-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

All cable television is for dumb people. Fox and MSBC takes to to Goebbels-ian and Orwellian levels of propaganda. CNN keeps it more even (more reporting of events, less opinions), and thus less provocative - and thus less people watch.

Most of The Daily Show's (and Colbert's) programming circumvents the biased structure by using critical thinking to point out just how broken things are.

In a political climate so broken and dumbed-down, there's nothing you can really do but sit back and laugh.

The danger is that the dumb people (who, I believe, make up the majority) take the propaganda as gospel. It is deteriorating the way people feel and act. And it's harder for people to function is socially positive ways. Divide and conquer is a very real thing.
Old 02-11-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
So he's only going to be out for 12 weeks, now everyone stop crying and all that shit.
? Did you find an article from 2013?
Old 02-11-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

Most of The Daily Show's (and Colbert's) programming circumvents the biased structure by using critical thinking to point out just how broken things are.

They do exactly what you are saying, but they are picking and choosing who to 'expose' and that is what many Stewart & Colbert defenders don't get.

You have to admit he's goes after Conservatives more then Liberals, simply because he is more liberal. He goes after FoxNews more then any other network, simply because he probably hates FoxNews.

My point is he could expose EVERYONE in Washington from political parties, you could expose MSNBC and FOX, etc, as they would give him endless fodder to make fun of. But if you watch his show, the majority of people he goes after are conservatives and Fox and once in a while goes after Liberals.

And that is exactly what Fox, MSNBC, Rush Limbaugh, HuffingtonPost, Drudge do everyday. He is just doing it in a comedic way so its different then those mediums, but he is still pushing his ideology by only going after one side more then the other. I agreed with everything you are saying except when you say he is using criitical thinking, as he is using partisan thinking, IMO.
Old 02-11-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
He goes after FoxNews more then any other network, simply because he probably hates FoxNews.
I obviously have no hard data to back this up, but I honestly believe it's because they simply provide a vastly deeper well from which to draw from.
Old 02-11-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I obviously have no hard data to back this up, but I honestly believe it's because they simply provide a vastly deeper well from which to draw from.
Seriously, if your subject matter is poking fun at absurd combinations of stupidity and crazy, than of course Fox News will be a bigger target.
Old 02-11-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Yeah, he's only going to be out for 12 weeks to direct a movie called Rosewater and Daily Show correspondent John Oliver will fill in for him in the meantime.

Sheesh, you guys really need to keep up with the latest news on this story!
Old 02-11-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by hardcore
Jordan Klepper seems to be the correspondent getting most of the Colbert/Oliver style bits on the show lately, and he has greatly improved from when he first started, but he might still be a little fresh to take over for Jon.
I like Jordan Klepper a lot but agree that he's still far too new to have a shot at the job. Although he did do a hilarious bit on magicians the other day that really showcased his comedy talents.
Old 02-11-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Jon Stewart and Brian Williams should get together and do their own show. I hear they're pals.
Old 02-11-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yeah, he's only going to be out for 12 weeks to direct a movie called Rosewater and Daily Show correspondent John Oliver will fill in for him in the meantime.

Sheesh, you guys really need to keep up with the latest news on this story!
Old 02-11-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Constant? Has anybody brought Kilborn in the last decade?
Last seen in Old School
Old 02-11-15, 04:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Jon Stewart and Brian Williams should get together and do their own show. I hear they're pals.
you know, i thought they were, but the way he went off (kinda) the other night was a little startling and i was wondering if BW would ever visit TDS again. guess not...
Old 02-11-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I wonder how long HBO locked up John Oliver.

No one can replace Stewart, but Oliver is the only one who can come close. I'd also rather see him 4 nights a week, not just 1.
I think Oliver was a genuinely solid fill-in for Stewart during his hiatus in '13. In the old days I might have suggested Dennis Miller as a fantastic replacement, but we all know what happened to him.

Stewart leaving is a great shame, but he's tired.
Old 02-11-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Patton Oswalt would be a good replacement - he has his fingers on the pulse of media pretty well, and he can mold the show into his own thing, just like Stewart did.
Old 02-11-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I honestly did just that...looked up the first thing I found just got home and its all over the tv that he's done
Old 02-11-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Tonight's episode isn't even recording because Comedy Central didn't have programming data in my Comcast guide.
Old 02-12-15, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess he'll go back to being a green lantern.
Old 02-12-15, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Last seen in Old School
Actually, he hosted a talk show in 2013 called The Kilborn File which had a six-week trial run in syndication, but it wasn't picked up for a full series.
Old 02-12-15, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hardcore
I've been watching the Daily Show pretty religiously since 1999, but I can't imagine any of the current correspondents taking over for him. I thought the Jason Jones/Sam Bee co-host episode to be pretty painful to watch, and I don't think it would get much better. I love Demetri Martin (he's the only standup I've gone to see in the last 10 years), but his comedy is more absurdist and fairly apolitical.

Jordan Klepper seems to be the correspondent getting most of the Colbert/Oliver style bits on the show lately, and he has greatly improved from when he first started, but he might still be a little fresh to take over for Jon.
Agreed. The Jones/Bee episode didn't do too well, although I can forgive them as it was apparently done on very short notice. Still, they were passed over when Stewart left for Oliver and then passed over when Colbert left for Wilmore. So at best they were the third choice only 12 months ago. The Daily Show can find someone better.
Old 02-12-15, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm sure most have seen it by now, but here's the video of the announcement:

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:thedailyshow.com:2595200c-c1a0-4549-9c18-bf98644bac18" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Daily Show
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,The Daily Show on Facebook,Daily Show Video Archive

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/8x...s-announcement
Old 02-12-15, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
Actually, he hosted a talk show in 2013 called The Kilborn File which had a six-week trial run in syndication, but it wasn't picked up for a full series.
In other words:

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Last seen in Old School
Old 02-12-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Seriously, if your subject matter is poking fun at absurd combinations of stupidity and crazy, than of course Fox News will be a bigger target.
But Stewart could poke fun at MSNBC everynight too as they have just as many wacko's who play to the liberal base. For example, Melissa Harris-Perry who did an interview with Eric Holder said to him,

"We call you the duck […] We say you have a very sort of placid and even way of presenting, but you are just working for justice underneath,” Harris-Perry said. “Would you quack for us?”

It was the most awkward interview and was sort of embarrassing that this person is interviewing an Attorney General and asking him dumb questions like that. Stewart could have had a field day on this interview, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, did he ever bring this up on The Daily Show? He could have a field day on Al Sharpton every night? Or Ed Schultz as they say something just as crazy as the pundits at Fox. But Stewart is a liberal and he is just going to pick on FOXNews because he disagrees with them.

Last edited by mcnabb; 02-12-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
you know, i thought they were, but the way he went off (kinda) the other night was a little startling and i was wondering if BW would ever visit TDS again. guess not...
Well, according to Williams, he was the guest on the Daily Show last Tuesday.
Old 02-12-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
But Stewart could poke fun at MSNBC everynight too as they have just as many wacko's who play to the liberal base. For example, Melissa Harris-Perry who did an interview with Eric Holder said to him,

"We call you the duck […] We say you have a very sort of placid and even way of presenting, but you are just working for justice underneath,” Harris-Perry said. “Would you quack for us?”

It was the most awkward interview and was sort of embarrassing that this person is interviewing an Attorney General and asking him dumb questions like that. Stewart could have had a field day on this interview, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, did he ever bring this up on The Daily Show? He could have a field day on Al Sharpton every night? Or Ed Schultz as they say something just as crazy as the pundits at Fox. But Stewart is a liberal and he is just going to pick on FOXNews because he disagrees with them.
But he does go after Dem/liberal side, just not the specific examples you cited. And sorry but your duck example doesn't hold a candle to some of the bat shit crazy stuff on Fox News. Not even close. As long as Fox and the GOP supports the religious right that will never change.
Old 02-12-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is MSNBC really setting the tone for Political discussion the way Fox is? Aren't the ratings for the channel awful? They were last time I checked, but it's been awhile.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.