Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many shows can you DVR at the same time?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How many shows can you DVR at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: How many shows can you DVR at the same time?

Originally Posted by windom
So every time a new season starts for a show you watch, you have to go in and "give" that show another season pass for the new season? That seems like a big hassle. I'm used to being able to set a series recording for a show and it will record it forever even across new seasons.
No, you're totally misunderstanding.

Once you set a season pass and set it to record "new" episodes, you're done. it won't record new episodes again until the next season starts. It's the same thing as series record.

Only time you would ever need to set a new season pass if the show changes it's name or moves to a new network. For example, the AMC series "Turn" changed it's name to "Turn: Washington's Spies" so you will have to cancel the old season pass and set up a new one once it appears in your program guide.

I should also clarify, the term "Season Pass" is only used for Tivo. Directv calls it "Series record"
Old 01-19-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

OK, thanks, DJariya. Still a little confused though...you say that when setting a season pass, it won't record new episodes until the start of the next season. So if a show is in the middle of season 1, then you set the season pass, it won't record until season 2? Or will it record the rest of season 1 also. Does that have to do with why they call it a "season" pass? If it is supposed to record the whole series, shouldn't it be called a "series pass"?
Old 01-19-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

With DirecTV when you set a series you have the options to either choose all episodes or all new episodes. If you set it for all new, it will start taping first aired episodes right away for as long as you keep the series recording active.
Old 01-19-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I can record two shows at once, and watch a previously recorded program while still recording.
Same. Pace RNG200N.
Old 01-19-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

2 w/ DTV.

I have a Hauppauge DVR stick to record basic OTA to my computer as well.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-19-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

OK, thanks, DJariya. Still a little confused though...you say that when setting a season pass, it won't record new episodes until the start of the next season. So if a show is in the middle of season 1, then you set the season pass, it won't record until season 2? Or will it record the rest of season 1 also. Does that have to do with why they call it a "season" pass? If it is supposed to record the whole series, shouldn't it be called a "series pass"?
As Noonan said, if lets say you want to watch the current new season of Episodes on Showtime, but forgot to set a series record/season pass for episode 1. You can still set it to record new episodes starting with episode 2 of the current season.
Old 01-19-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

As long as they are new episodes, if you set it to record 'first run,' they'll record new episodes (the DVR doesn't know what season it is). If you set it to record 'both' (as in first run and repeats), it will record them all.
Old 01-19-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

4. One dual tuner cable box DVR in the Den and one in the bedroom.
Old 01-19-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
All this talk about multiple DVRs and Tivos makes me wonder if people are unaware of multituner devices like Ceton's InfiniTV 6.
Not me...like I said I have an internal Ceton InfiniTV 4 and a 3 tuner Silcon Dust HDHomeRun PRIME.

It's a shame that Microsoft has abandoned Media Center though. Think how much better it could be if they had continued development in the past few years. Or maybe they would have just screwed it up.
Old 01-19-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can currently record 6 shows at once with DISH during primetime only (otherwise, it's a limit of 3). The 6 include the 4 broadcast networks plus 2 other channels.

I'm moving in the next week or so and will be switching to Directv. From what I understand, I can record up to 5 channels at the same time using the Genie... and that's any channels.

I'll miss being able to automatically hop over the broadcast network's commercials. Looking forward to a better On Demand selection, though.
Old 01-20-15, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

4 shows at once with the basic TiVo Roamio (not that I've ever had to).
Old 01-20-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I have Whole-Home DVR service so the DVRs are networked together and I can watch any show from any DVR in the house. I have 3 DirecTV DVRs so I can theoretically record 6 shows at one time (they are both dual-tuners).

The only limitation is that you have to set recordings on the current DVR you are using (or use the DirecTV app.) You also can't see what will be recorded (the ToDo List) on other DVRs, only the one you are using.

Supposedly I can upgrade to a Genie which can replace some of these DVRs I have,but I have not gotten around to doing that yet. They offered me a free upgrade in November, but I had a lot of backlog to watch and didn't want to replace any of my DVRs yet. I watched through the backlog over Christmas, but I bet now if I call again, they won't offer me the free upgrade.
You can get a Genie and just replace one DVR, and keep the rest (I haven't tried the mini Genies yet, maybe when my two year upgrade is due again). Eventually you'll be able to get by with just recording everything in your Genie, since it can record so many shows at once (unless you're the OP)
Old 01-20-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you need the mini Genie for reception in a second room? I'm scheduled for both to be installed.. I'm wondering if I only need the Genie...
Old 01-20-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by leeta
Do you need the mini Genie for reception in a second room? I'm scheduled for both to be installed.. I'm wondering if I only need the Genie...
Yes if you want to watch content in a second room, you need a mini genie. But it will still be linked to your main box with the 5 tuners.
Old 01-21-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cablevison on Long Island-15 at one time. But it is not a DVR, the recordings are in the cloud.
Old 01-21-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Direct TV also has certain shows that are automatically recorded(w/Genie) but don't know the exact number.
Old 01-21-15, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got rid of the mini Genie and got a regular DVR so now we can record 7 shows instead of 5.
Old 01-21-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes if you want to watch content in a second room, you need a mini genie. But it will still be linked to your main box with the 5 tuners.
If you have whole room DVR (or whatever it's called) you can view genie content on your existing hd-dvrs in other rooms (if you have them...)
Old 01-22-15, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
It would be nice to have but I don't think I'd bother. It isn't a problem often enough to pay extra for all that storage.
It would certainly come in handy (for me) during college football season and Shark Week (for the missus).

I forget the capacity of the current box (360GB?), but 3-4 football games can fill it up pretty fast. I imagine 1TB would be really handy for a family of four, though... especially since this is a whole home DVR: Dad could record his football games, mom could record her cooking\DIY shows, teenage daughter could record her MTV stuff, and Junior could record his cartoons.
Old 04-11-17, 11:53 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I posted this in the Gear forum but didn't get many responses. I'd like to hear some good options...prices...etc.

I currently only have a DVR in one room (been that way for 10 years) so I don't know what the latest and greatest in the technology is.

I am going to moving into a larger house soon and would like to have multi-room DVR in atleast two different rooms - main TV and basement movie room. A big feature I want to take advantage of is being able to record more than just two shows at once. I have currently have Optimum. I believe they offer an option some like 10 shows at once for an additional cost. Never looked into though. I would like to ditch Optimum. I think we are going to go with Verizon Fios for the provider (Central NJ). What is the best way to go about this? Does their multi-room DVR enable the recording of more than two shows? Or is that a different level or service? From what it sounds like is it just enables you to watch a show in one room and then pick it up in another. I don't really care about that.

Is an alternative just to have two separate DVRs that are not on a multi-room option. Would the two then be able to record two shows each for a total of 4?

Or are there other options...like TiVo... that I should look into?

Best cost effective options, etc.?
Old 04-11-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My sister has the whole house DVR and I believe they can record a large number of shows at one time. I can only record two which isn't the problem. The problem is that you have to watch one of the two shows.
Old 04-11-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

I can only speak for myself. I have a Directv Genie and it has 5 tuners to record 5 shows at once. I have 2 Mini Genies in other rooms, which can playback content from the main Genie in my office/bedroom.

It records roughly 200 hours of HD content. Aside from my subscription monthly fees, I also have to pay $10 for HD content, $10 DVR fee, $14 to watch TV in multiple rooms, and a $3 whole home DVR fee. That $3 whole home DVR fee means that the 2 mini genies are also capable of setting up records.

I'm assuming other services have similar pricing structure. On the plus side, with 5 Tuners, I never have record conflicts. On the down side, it does tend to lead you to record way too much than you can realistically watch and then your DVR ends up getting full really fast.
Old 04-11-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

6 With FIOS
Old 04-11-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Same. Pace RNG200N.
Updated to TiVo T6 a while back, so now it is 6.
Old 04-11-17, 04:18 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
6 With FIOS
How did you do it with FIOS?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.