DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How many shows can you DVR at the same time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624661-how-many-shows-can-you-dvr-same-time.html)

dvd-4-life 01-17-15 05:05 AM

How many shows can you DVR at the same time?

(5)Direct TV- w/one Genie HD DVR
(6)Charter- w/three HD DVR's

Saturday night is the most hectic night. Sometimes I can't watch Direct TV because so many shows are being recorded so having Charter for a back-up helps me watch sports (or other shows) live . Also nice to have Charter as a back up if you are having weather problems and recording(or watching) Direct TV because the feed won't be reliable at that time.

Count Dooku 01-17-15 06:16 AM

Re: How many shows can you DVR at the same time?

I'm curious what 12 shows are on at the same time on Saturday night that you are committed to watching?

I can DVR 3 HD channels at the same time and there are just two hours each week when I do that.

Alan Smithee 01-17-15 07:18 AM

Zero. :)

JimRochester 01-17-15 08:42 AM

Mine is limited to two and you can't watch a third at the same time. You are stuck at two.

DJariya 01-17-15 08:50 AM

I have the Directv Genie. It can record 5 at one time.

mphtrilogy 01-17-15 08:58 AM

Just an old fashioned tivo hd for me, two shows, if I have a conflict, I catch the cable rerun. I'd its a network conflict I will watch it on demand, verizon has a pretty good on demand service agreements with the networks, although I have to deal with the commercials which is brutal sometimes...

JimRochester 01-17-15 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12366895)
Just an old fashioned tivo hd for me, two shows, if I have a conflict, I catch the cable rerun. I'd its a network conflict I will watch it on demand, verizon has a pretty good on demand service agreements with the networks, although I have to deal with the commercials which is brutal sometimes...

Same here. Except for the season premiere weeks when numerous new shows are on for the first time, two is usually plenty. More than that I just OnDemand it until I weed out the extras.

My only complaint is the capacity. I would like to be able to keep a little more than I do. I usually keep Castle all season then re-watch before I delete. By the end of season I am running low on capacity and have to be careful about anything long I want to record.

windom 01-17-15 09:53 AM

My Windows 7 Media Center PC has a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and a 3 tuner Silcon Dust HDHomeRun PRIME on the network. Definitely useful on a Sunday nights.

fumanstan 01-17-15 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 12366884)
Mine is limited to two and you can't watch a third at the same time. You are stuck at two.

Same here, using Cox Communications DVR. They have an option for 6, but it costs more and I didn't feel the need to pay for it.

When I had U-Verse I recall it being capable of more.

My Other Self 01-17-15 10:08 AM

None at the moment, but when I had Comcat it was 2 at a time. You had to watch one of the recordings, though as it was going. Very primitive.

davidh777 01-17-15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12366944)
None at the moment, but when I had Comcat it was 2 at a time. You had to watch one of the recordings, though as it was going. Very primitive.

I still have the primitive Comcast DVR that allows two channels at the same time. Recording, live watching, and on-demand streaming all count as a "channel," but stuff already recorded on the DVR does not.

Strafe 01-17-15 10:43 AM

TiVo roamio with a 6 channel Comcast cable card. Rocks. Hard.

Michael Corvin 01-17-15 10:52 AM

Two TiVos; one in family room and one in the basement. Rarely do I need to record more than two shows at once though. Typically only when there's a sports game on.

MLBFan24 01-17-15 12:56 PM

I can record two shows at once, and watch a previously recorded program while still recording.

Trevor 01-17-15 01:25 PM

One if I hook up my VHS.

Michael Corvin 01-17-15 01:38 PM

^ Alan Smithee, see mods about multiple accounts.

writer106 01-17-15 02:21 PM

I just have one DVR right now and I can only record two at a time. I sometimes record encore airings of cable channel shows to avoid DVR conflicts, if I need to record two shows a time. I'm thinking about upgrading to DirecTV Genie.

Mike86 01-17-15 02:29 PM

Still have two of the old ones with two tuners a piece. Have to watch one of the recordings. I actually work for a cable company and could upgrade to a TiVo with four tuners but haven't bothered with it yet. I normally don't run into too many scheduling conflicts so it's rare for me to need more than two tuners.

Match 01-17-15 03:40 PM

TiVo Roamio Plus with 6 tuners

Trevor 01-17-15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12367051)
One if I hook up my Betamax.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12367067)
^ Alan Smithee, see mods about multiple accounts.

Fixed!

ChrisHicks 01-17-15 04:11 PM

14 (6 Tivo S3 boxes + Comcast HD-DVR)

One of these days I'm going to force myself to get a pair of Tivo Roamio Plus boxes to cut down on the amount of equipment in the house.

Now I've never actually had 14 recordings going at the same time but the ability is there if by some weird coincidence there was a need to. I mainly use a few Tivo boxes just to move shows around when one starts to get low on space which is why so many.

fujishig 01-17-15 04:16 PM

Wait, you have a Genie, and you subscribe to Cable as a backup in case you want to watch shows 6 to 11? You pay two companies for the same programming? Are you taping like every single nfl and nba game so you can go back and watch them or something?

Ever since getting a Genie, and whole home dvr, I haven't had a conflict. Back when it was only 2 per room, it used to happen all the time.

Rex Fenestrarum 01-17-15 04:52 PM

Just two at the moment. But TWC is supposed to roll out their new DVR - with 6 tuners and 1 TB of storage - in 1Q... and from what I've read and heard from people in the know at TWC Charlotte, it's actually going to be "sooner" rather than "later". Of course, I don't know how much it'll cost over and above what we're already paying for the DVR, so I dunno if we'll get one or not.

sven 01-17-15 04:53 PM

Just two but it's usually not a problem.

OldBoy 01-17-15 04:56 PM

10 with Optimum.