Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Arrow/Flash Spinoff to Star Routh, Lotz & Others)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Arrow/Flash Spinoff to Star Routh, Lotz & Others)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Arrow/Flash Spinoff to Star Routh, Lotz & Others in development at CW

Originally Posted by Mike86
Films have more on the line I agree because if they tank it can hurt the studio and the future of a franchise.
Off topic, I know, but I am interested to see how Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman turn out. If both are any good and make money, that will mean other stand alones, like Green Lantern, Shazam, The Flash and Cyborg will have a chance. If not, look for Batman, Superman and Justice League features just like their DCAU movies.
Old 02-27-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Actual production may be difficult, but it should be harder to write a 2-hour movie than a 20+ hour series. Yet, DC manages to make it so.
I don't see how. Writing twenty some odd scripts a season seems like a more daunting task than a two hour film to me. On the one hand you can tell a larger story over a longer span of time, but still to do that and keep it interesting all season long and filling the time requirements of each episode I would think is somewhat difficult. Films are probably somewhat of a challenge too in the sense that they have less time to tell a story, but I would still think it shouldn't be any more difficult. I think DC is making their film universe harder than it has to be because they're so antsy to get right into everything instead of just taking it a step at a time.
Old 02-27-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be one of those 'too many comic book shows' guys but aren't they pushing it a little with all these comic book shows? So there will be at least 5 shows based on DC/Marvel. Agents of Shield, Gotham, Arrow, Flash & now Atom. While I do enjoy them & will watch them, having so many will potentially cause superhero fatigue in the general viewing audience.
You forgot Daredevil and Supergirl so that's actually seven series. Well iZombie too if that gets picked up again so 8. But Constantine is probably cannceled(booo!) so there's that.
Old 02-27-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
You forgot Daredevil and Supergirl so that's actually seven series. Well iZombie too if that gets picked up again so 8. But Constantine is probably cannceled(booo!) so there's that.
And Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage all leading up the Defenders. It's like the golden age for comic book nerds. There will be a devote core audience but I have to think fatigue will eventually set in for the more general audience. Of course they have been churning out police and lawyer shows for decades so what do I know.
Old 02-27-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't see how. Writing twenty some odd scripts a season seems like a more daunting task than a two hour film to me. On the one hand you can tell a larger story over a longer span of time, but still to do that and keep it interesting all season long and filling the time requirements of each episode I would think is somewhat difficult. Films are probably somewhat of a challenge too in the sense that they have less time to tell a story, but I would still think it shouldn't be any more difficult. I think DC is making their film universe harder than it has to be because they're so antsy to get right into everything instead of just taking it a step at a time.
I meant to say "shouldn't". I agree with you completely.
Old 02-28-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Superheroes are the new procedural formula of this century. The only reason comic book heroes didn't take over television sooner is that the special effects only became practical on a TV budget within the past decade. CGI and green screen solves virtually all of the problems films and TV had shooting superheroes' powers.

In a decade almost every network will have comic book properties from Marvel and DC running around. It's only a matter of time until HBO gets in the game.
Old 03-09-15, 06:33 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The curious spinoff project featuring characters from both Arrow and The Flash is starting to come into focus, with details on three roles to be cast.

As previously reported, the CW spinoff — which may zip past the usual pilot process and be ordered straight to series — will star Arrow‘s Brandon Routh (who plays Ray/The Atom) and Caity Lotz (formerly Sara/Canary), as well as The Flash‘s Wentworth Miller (Leonard Snart/Captain Cold) and Victor Garber (Dr. Martin Stein aka half of Firestorm).

Rounding out the ensemble, TVLine has learned, are the following “mystery” characters — though we’ve put forth out best theories on the familiar heroes/foes being cast. (With reporting by Michael Maloney)

“THE TRAVELER” | Described as a “Han Solo-esque rogue who gets by with his charm, this hero hails from the future, and has journeyed back in time on a secret mission. His razor-sharp wit hides the pain of a man who has lived through serious conflict. He also harbors many secrets, always leaving both his teammates and the audience unsure of his true allegiances.

Quite Possibly Is Rip Hunter (pictured above), who first debuted in 1959 in the pages of DC Comics’ series Showcase and has popped up in continuity over the years. This Time Master has revealed in the past that “Rip Hunter” isn’t his real name – it’s an alias he uses so that his enemies can’t thwart his future efforts by killing him when he is a helpless infant in the past!

But Could Also Be Booster Gold — though he appeared in an episode of Smallville (played by Days of Our Lives‘ Eric Martsolf), and it’s been said the new characters have never been featured on a live-action show before — or Time Traveler, a powerful villain who’s gone up against the Legion of Super-Heroes.

“FEMALE WARRIOR” | This twentysomething Latina is pretty but unassuming, book smart and socially awkward by day. But by night, when she hears the cry of battle, her fury is ignited and she becomes a fierce warrior — so much so, that sometimes she can become a threat to others.

Quite Possibly Is a cross between Fury aka Helena Kosmatos (pictured), an Amazon heroine empowered by the ancient Furies, and Yolanda Montez, who assumed the role of Wildcat from her godfather, Ted Grant.

But Could Also Be Pantha aka Rosabelle Mendez, a short-lived member of the New Titans, or Tarantula aka Catalina Marie Flores, who hails from the pages of Nightwing.

“MYSTERY HERO” | An African-American male in his twenties will fill the role of a regular, street smart guy who unexpectedly gains powers, and then, as part of the team, regularly quips about the insanity of the situations.

Quite Possibly Is Virgil Ovid Hawkins, a high school student who was splashed with experimental chemicals after being caught in a gang war. Virgil emerged with electromagnetic powers, which he uses to fight crime as the superhero Static (pictured).

But Could Also Be Black Lightning (aka Jefferson Pierce) or Black Vulcan
http://tvline.com/2015/03/08/arrow-f...p-hunter-fury/
Old 03-16-15, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
CW Firestorm/Atom team-up show confirmed

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/16...am-movies?asdf

The CW’s potential new Flash and Arrow spin-off is slated to feature a mashup of DC Comics heroes and villains that aims to take our generation’s super series to the next level.

The untitled drama—which is being developed by Arrow and Flash executive producers Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti, as well as Arrow boss Marc Guggenheim and Sarah Schechter—is tentatively slated to star Brandon Routh (Ray Palmer/The Atom), Wentworth Miller (Leonard Snart/Captain Cold), Victor Garber (Martin Stein/Firestorm) and Caity Lotz, though it’s unclear whether she’ll be portraying a new role since her Arrow character, Sara Lance, died earlier this season.

“For me, it honors all of the great team up movies, whether it’s Ocean’s Eleven or whether it’s the superhero books,” Berlanti tells EW. “That’s what it’s about. If you go back to the old westerns, there would be The Lone Gunman, but there would also be The Magnificent Seven. It’s very much in the spirit of those kinds of movies and shows.”

Berlanti—who is also executive-producing CBS’ Supergirl pilot with Kreisberg, Schechter and Ali Adler—stresses that the new project would be quite different than what we’re used to. “I only want to do them when I know that they’ll feel distinct from the other shows we’re doing,” he says. “This is really its own thing.”

One of the main burning questions after the project’s announcement was why Robbie Amell was missing from the cast list, considering he makes up the other half of Firestorm, Ronnie Raymond. Unfortunately, it sounds like bad news could be on the horizon as Berlanti admits there is a particular reason for his absence, but “I can’t say why.”

The new super drama, which is not part of the current pilot season, was first mentioned by CW president Mark Pedowitz at the Television Critics Association’s semi-annual press tour in January. Get more on that here.
Firestorm show without Firestorm? Interesting... Seems they couldn't get Amell for the role, maybe they'll recast or something else?

Also why would Captain Cold be in this?
Old 03-17-15, 11:03 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Another popular recurring DC character from the Arrow-Flash universe is boarding the CW’s proposed spinoff from the two superhero dramas. The new Flash villainous duo of Captain Cold/Heat Wave will be staying intact as Dominic Purcell is joining Brandon Routh, Wentworth Miller, Victor Garber and Caity Lotz in the superhero team-up show from Arrow creators Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim.

Purcell will reprise his role as Mick Rory, a pyromaniac who finds an outlet for his obsession with fire when he teams up with Leonard Snart/Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller) and becomes the villain known as Heat Wave. The new project, eyed for a midseason launch next season, extends the Flash reunion of Prison Break stars Miller and Purcell and would mark the first series regular gigs for both since the cult Fox drama.

Routh and Garber also are set to reprise their popular Arrow/Flash characters — Arrow‘s Ray Palmer/The Atom (Routh) and Flash‘s Dr. Martin Stein (Garber). Because her Arrow character Sara Lance was killed off, with her sister Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) taking over as the Black Canary, it is still TBD whether Lotz will play the same or new superhero on in the spinoff.

Speaking of Flash dynamic duos, Garber’s Stein is flying solo on the new show for now as Robbie Amell, who has played his other half, Firestorm, did not sign for the project. As we previously revealed, the spinoff series will include three major DC Comics characters who have never appeared in a TV series.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/dominic-...cw-1201393858/
Old 03-17-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Weird about Firestorm. Could they be recasting Ronnie?
Old 03-17-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah this is sounding more and more like a Brave and the Bold series.
Old 03-17-15, 05:05 PM
Banned

Maybe they'll use Jason Rusch as the other half of Firestorm instead of Ronnie Raymond, that way they can mix up the ethnicity of the cast a bit.
Old 03-17-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Are Captain Cold and Heatwave the antagonists, or is this some kind of Suicide Squad (tv version) deal?

They're going for diversity, but thankfully no Vibe.

I was wondering why Atom looked like XO Manowar, but apparently that's his new52 costume?
Old 03-17-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The New52 Ray Palmer hasn't been seen as the Atom yet. However in his appearances in Frankenstein, he still displayed his shrinking abilities. So far the only "Atom" in the New52 has been Atomica who later turned traitor.
Old 03-17-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Maybe they'll use Jason Rusch as the other half of Firestorm instead of Ronnie Raymond, that way they can mix up the ethnicity of the cast a bit.
He already exists, his name was mentioned during Firestorm's origin on the Flash as another student. I am fine with him if Amell is leaving for the movies.

Could this be a revolving showcase with no season-long continuity? It's a strange mix of characters unless they were going to do something like Justice League Europe or Justice League International.
Old 03-18-15, 12:55 AM
Banned

Booster Gold?
Old 03-18-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

"Atomica"....

I want Bloodwynd, Agent: Liberty, Maxima, or any other turdtastic Dan Jurgens creation from the early 90s.
Old 03-18-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Hitman (Tommy Monaghan) would make an excellent addition, the character was really made for Hollywood entertainment in the first place. They kept trying to develop a movie for him.
Old 03-30-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Hawkgirl is joining the team. Interesting that they're going the Kendra route instead of Shiera.

The cast of the as-yet untitled spinoff of "The Flash" and "Arrow" has a new DC Comics superhero in the mix, as first reported by Deadline: Hawkgirl, played by relative newcomer Ciara Renée.

The Hawkgirl/Kendra Sunders character is described as, "a young woman who is just beginning to learn that she has been repeatedly reincarnated over the centuries. When provoked, her ancient warrior persona manifests itself, along with wings that grow out of her back, earning her the moniker Hawkgirl."

Comic Book Resources
Old 03-30-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Waaait. Hawkgirl will be like The Hulk? Wings pop out when she is mad?
Old 03-30-15, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arthur Darvill from Doctor Who is going to be Rip Hunter.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-time-traveler
Old 03-30-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's pretty awesome news!
Old 03-30-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard there is a possibility that the season finale of Flash plays into this show. I will refrain from mentioning the single comic book word I've heard related to this project.

I am very happy they are going with a human Hawkgirl. I always preferred the human Hawks over the alien tech police officers. That decision was likely made with the budget in mind. So will she be an associate of Carter Hall?
Old 03-30-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really can't see Caity Lotz playing a different character then Sara. She might take a different superhero name but still would be Sara. I figure someone digs up her corpse and dunks her in the Lazarus Pit now that they've shown it does exists.

I know some other shows have had the same actor guest star a few times and played a different character (Law & Order tends to do it) but those are 1 episode guest stars and a few seasons between appearances. Often these guests are not well known so easily not remembered. So unless you are super into the shows' nitty gritty, most viewers won't even realize the same person is back in a different role. I cannot see that with Caity Lotz. She was a major character in a whole season of Arrow. Even casual viewers will recognize her. Having her be someone else will just take viewers out of the episode when they have to keep reminding themselves she is different. Just can't see the producers doing that.
Old 03-31-15, 12:41 AM
Banned

It sort of makes sense they are going with Rip Hunter instead of Booster Gold since Blue Beetle doesn't seem to exist in the Arrowverse. Would have rather seen Booster tho.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.