Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 697 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Heavily advertised as a Mariah Carey movie, A Christmas Melody turned out better than I expected. Lacey Chabert was the lead but an adorable nine-year-old girl playing her daughter stole the show. Some of the best child acting I've ever seen in one of these Christmas movies.
Old 12-28-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,695 Likes on 2,655 Posts

I watched "A Christmas Detour" last night which stars Candace Cameron Bure.

It was alright. Had some cute moments. Not as bad as Giles made it sound earlier in this thread. I like Candace Cameron Bure, but I wasn't really fond of her male co-star Paul Greene. Just didn't feel much chemistry between them and he came across as kind of smug.

I read a tid bit that it was actually shot during one of Vancouver's hottest summers and they had to fake winter in New York through most of it.

Hard to believe that Candace Cameron Bure turns 40 next year. Time flies.
Old 12-28-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had enough of Candace Cameron in Full House, I avoid her movies for the most part.

My final Hallmark Christmas movie for this holiday season ended up being Family For Christmas. This was yet another Lacey Chabert movie and another winner. She plays a single news reporter that is magically transported into an alternate version of her life marrying her college sweetheart. A good one to end my Christmas viewing with this year.

See everyone again in this thread in about eleven months.
Old 12-29-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

Why don't we just do a yearly tv movie/Christmas movie thread?
Old 12-30-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am not opposed to that idea but TV movies don't get discussed here much beyond a few outrageous ones like the Sharknado franchise.
Old 01-01-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 735 Likes on 599 Posts

Christmas in Conway (2013)

I had it saved on my dvr and the ony reason I watched was Andy Garcia but he was terrible and he slipped and out of a Southern accent.

Cheri O' Teri (SNL) sighting as well.

Old 01-01-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't watch it but the best title of the holiday season goes to Murder, She Baked: A Peach Cobbler Mystery. I was tempted to watch it based on the name alone.
Old 01-01-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

Since this thread is 6 pages deep, a moderator could modify the title and we could just turn this thread into a generic TV movies thread...encompassing films from Hallmark, Lifetime, UP, ION, the usual suspects that create these made for TV only films (technically, HBO/Showtime/Starz create TV films that do not first get released in theaters, and only hit DVD/Blu Ray after they have aired on cable first, so I guess they would count too, however, films that first hit theaters and then hit cable after a window of time has gone by do not count, they belong in the already existing long-running what blu ray / movie did you last watch threads). The generic tv film thread I created is only 4 pages deep, so we can let that one fade away and keep this one going throughout the year.

I know that Hallmark is running original TV films throughout January, and then they usually have a Spring original, a 4th of July original, and so on and so forth until we are back to their Countdown to Christmas films. This Saturday the Hallmark original that I am recording is Love In Paradise...my first 2016 original TV film, woo hoo!, and y'all know I am going to try and catch them all (these films are like Pokémon, gotta catch em all).
Old 01-01-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish Hallmark channel had a streaming network, I have some of their dvds and watch some of their movies off of youtube, but it would be easier to watch these movies.
Old 01-04-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,033 Likes on 634 Posts

Even though I watched several this season, I still have a bunch of these movies unwatched on my DVR and I started deleting some of them last night, but decided to watch 12 Gifts of Christmas, which several of you have discussed upthread.

I liked it, though the inevitable third-act romantic conflict was pretty lame ("You used my Santa painting to sell computers? You bastard!"). And I agree with whoever said that both of those family portraits were horrifying! (and were basically just photographs with some Photoshop filters inartfully applied.)

Katrina Law was really cute in this, but I kept having a bit of cognitive dissonance. I half-expected to see her start speaking with a foreign accent and attack people with a sword.
Old 01-09-16, 05:11 PM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

VUDU MOVIE GIVEAWAY - EXPIRED

I'm giving away some free Hallmark Christmas Movies on Vudu. This is only open to people that have participated in this thread (prior to this post).

PM me and rank which movie you'd prefer (1-4). I'll send one movie each to the first 4 people that respond.

A Christmas Detour - CLAIMED
Cookie Cutter Christmas - CLAIMED
A Royal Christmas - CLAIMED
Trading Christmas - CLAIMED

UPDATE - The movies are all gone.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-11-16 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's nice of you, BigDave. I don't need any of them since I already own them but someone should snag A Royal Christmas if they like Lacey Chabert.
Old 01-10-16, 10:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
VUDU MOVIE GIVEAWAY

I'm giving away some free Hallmark Christmas Movies on Vudu. This is only open to people that have participated in this thread (prior to this post).

PM me and rank which movie you'd prefer (1-4). I'll send one movie each to the first 4 people that respond.

A Christmas Detour
A Royal Christmas
Cookie Cutter Christmas
Trading Christmas
Awesome, could i get a copy of trading christmas?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-10-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 239 Posts

I don't believe I've actually posted in the thread, so I don't qualify, but on the kind gesture, Dave.
Old 01-10-16, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Awesome, could i get a copy of trading christmas?
PM Sent.

That's my favorite of the 4 movies.
Old 01-18-16, 09:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Heavily advertised as a Mariah Carey movie, A Christmas Melody turned out better than I expected. Lacey Chabert was the lead but an adorable nine-year-old girl playing her daughter stole the show. Some of the best child acting I've ever seen in one of these Christmas movies.
just watched this:

Fina Strazza (as young Emily), yes, was great... but ugh, Carey's character was so one dimensional and her acting was terrible; as a director, she brought a lot of charm to the story and she (and her casting director) picked a good bunch of actors. The product placement of Folger's coffee was beyond blatant.
Old 01-18-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carey had the good sense to put herself in a small role. Lacey Chabert is an experienced pro at these Lifetime/Hallmark movies. I've only come across one or two of her movies in this genre that haven't worked.
Old 01-19-16, 08:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Belated public thanks to TheBigDave for the awesome Christmas present!
Old 09-12-16, 04:09 AM

Hallmark Channel has announced some of the new movies coming to the Countdown To Christmas 2016.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/chris...-sneak-preview

A WISH FOR CHRISTMAS
Premieres Saturday, November 5th at 9/8c
Stars: Lacey Chabert (“Party of Five,” “Mean Girls”), Paul Greene (“A Christmas Detour”.)

Sara Shaw (Chabert) is the type of woman who prefers to sit on the sidelines at work, but when her big idea for a Christmas initiative is stolen, she makes a wish to Santa that she’ll finally have the courage to stand up for herself. Santa grants her wish, but only gives her 48 hours. As the clock ticks, Sara will discover how to channel the Christmas magic and speak her mind all on her own.
MISTLETOE PROMISE
Premieres Sunday, November 6th at 9/8c
Stars: Jaime King (“Hart of Dixie,” Pearl Harbor), Luke Macfarlane (“The Night Shift,” “Brothers and Sisters”)

A chance meeting between two strangers who share a disdain for Christmas results in The Mistletoe Promise, a pact to help them navigate their holiday complications – together. But as they spend more time with each other and experience the magic of Christmas the phony couple discovers there may be more to their contract than business. Based on the bestselling novel by Richard Paul Evans.
CHRISTMAS MAKEOVER
Premieres Saturday, November 12th at 9/8c
Stars: Lori Loughlin (“When Calls the Heart,” “Fuller House”), Colin Ferguson (“Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove,” “Eureka”), Willie Aames (“Charles in Charge”)

A TV personality (Loughlin) has an on-air snafu and admits she hates Christmas. Following the debacle, she is invited to the Most Christmas-y town in America to try and repair her image. Forced to work with her ex-boyfriend Jack (Ferguson), the show’s producer, the magic of Christmas and this special town will change the way she views Christmas and her life.
CHRISTMAS COOKIES
Premieres Sunday, November 13th at 9/8c
Stars: Jill Wagner (“Wipeout”), Wes Brown (“True Blood,” “Hart of Dixie”)

Aunt Sally’s Christmas Cookie Company is sold to a large conglomerate and executive Hannah (Wagner) must seal the deal and shut down the factory, which is the small town of Cookie Jar’s lifeblood. What was supposed to be a simple assignment for Hannah becomes complicated when she meets Jake (Brown), the factory owner who’s determined to keep the factory in town. Despite not being a fan of the holiday, the Christmas spirit in this small town is infectious and she gets swept up in the joy of the season while also falling in love with Jake.
SUDDENLY SANTA
Premieres Saturday, November 19th at 9/8c
Stars: Danica McKellar (“Wonder Years”), David Haydn-Jones (“A Cookie Cutter Christmas”), Deidre Hall (“Days of Our Lives”)

Christina Masters (McKellar), the manager of McDougal’s flagship department store, is determined to land the manager position for their new Paris location. She sets out to impress Victoria (Hall), the store’s owner, by creating the best holiday window display in McDougal’s history. Fresh out of inspiration despite assuring Victoria otherwise, Christina turns to a recently-fired store employee (Haydn-Jones) who also happens to be a talented artist and single dad to his young son. As they work side-by-side, the business relationship becomes personal and she finds herself falling in love. Will the allure of her dream be too strong or will she choose to follow her heart?
A DECEMBER BRIDE
Premieres Sunday, November 20th at 9/8c
Stars: Jessica Lowndes (“90210”), (Daniel Lissing, “When Calls the Heart”)

Aspiring interior designer Layla O’Reilly (Lowndes) is dreading the Christmastime wedding of her cousin who’s marrying Layla’s ex-fiancé. Although Seth Murphy (Lissing) is the one responsible for introducing the bride and groom, she begrudgingly accepts his offer to be her date as she’s out of options. Seth gets carried away at the reception and announces they’re engaged, forcing a mortified Layla to keep up the pretense. But as the faux couple spends more time together they find themselves feeling something very real. Based on the book by bestselling author Denise Hunter.
CHRISTMAS BUCKET LIST
Premieres Saturday, November 25th at 9/8c

Isobel Gray plans a storybook Christmas with her boyfriend, including a snow-covered cottage in the Northwest, and a carefully composed bucket list of classic holiday traditions. But when the boyfriend goes AWOL, the list proves challenging and a tempting new romance turns her life upside down. Will Isobel have a White Christmas ending under the mistletoe?
CHRISTMAS EXPECTATIONS
Premieres Saturday, December 10th at 9/8c

A hopeless romantic who never seems to give a guy a fair chance starts receiving each gift from the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” compliments of an anonymous benefactor. She tries to solve the mystery with the help of her inner circle, including her sister who’s about to have a Christmas wedding, to see if there’s a suitor on the other end that will finally live up to her expectations.
WHEN CALLS THE HEART
Premieres Sunday, December 25th at 9/8c
Stars: Erin Krakow (“Army Wives”), Daniel Lissing (“Last Resort”), Jack Wagner (“The Bold and the Beautiful”) and Lori Loughlin (“Fuller House,” “90210”)

Although the residents of Hope Valley have been busily preparing for the most festive Christmas the town has ever had, bad weather gets in the way of their plans. Not to be discouraged, the townspeople come together to create a special holiday celebration – complete with a Nativity presentation by the schoolchildren – that will infuse everyone with the true spirit of the season.
Can't wait!
Old 09-12-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I check out any of their Christmas-themed movies with Lacey Chabert or Jessica Lowndes. I'm not so sure about some of their other female leads they like to use every year.
Old 09-12-16, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I check out any of their Christmas-themed movies with Lacey Chabert or Jessica Lowndes.
Those two are both good. Especially Lacey, her Hallmark movies are always enjoyable.

I think Alicia Witt is my favorite. But I also like the movies with Rachel Boston, Katrina Law, Candace Cameron Bure, and Sarah Lancaster.

They still have a lot of movies to announce. I hope some of these names will show up.
Old 09-12-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,033 Likes on 634 Posts

Yes, must have Alicia Witt and Sarah Lancaster.

ETA: and Hilarie Burton!

Last edited by Cellar Door; 09-12-16 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 06:08 PM

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

TheBigDave thanks a ton for this...I have been watching all of the Hallmark Originals and am counting down the days until the Countdown To Christmas begins!
Old 09-13-16, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep checking Amazon for what hallmark has scheduled for new DVDs releases, also I hope Walmart gets some of these movies as store exclusive DVDs. Always excited for Halloween and Christmas once fall is here.
Old 09-24-16, 02:03 AM

Here's the annual Alicia Witt movie:

CHRISTMAS LIST
Premieres Saturday, November 25th at 8/7c
Starring: Alicia Witt (Nashville), Gabriel Hogan (Heartland)

Isobel Gray plans a storybook Christmas with her boyfriend, including a snow-covered cottage in the Northwest, and a carefully composed bucket list of classic holiday traditions. But when the boyfriend goes AWOL, the list proves challenging and a tempting new romance turns her life upside down. Will Isobel have a White Christmas ending under the mistletoe?
They also announced movies for two of my favorites, Amy Acker and Rachel Boston:

THE NUTCRACKER
Premieres Saturday December 10th 8/7c
Starring: Amy Acker (Person of Interest), Sascha Radetsky (Flesh and Bone)

Rising star, Lilly James lives and breathes ballet. Her sister, Beth, is not only her biggest fan but often forgoes her own needs to make sure Lilly has every opportunity possible. Lilly’s devotion pays off when she is accepted into the New York City Ballet. Her biggest dream comes true when she lands the lead role of Clara in The Nutcracker and will make her debut on Christmas Eve. As she prepares for her big night, she receives the tragic news that her sister has died. She is removed from the show by none other than Mark, her boyfriend and dance partner. Betrayed and heartbroken, she vows never to dance again. Years later, Lilly’s niece receives the same Christmas wish, the role of Clara in the prestigious Philadelphia Nutcracker Ballet, only to find that the Ballet Director is Mark, who betrayed Lilly years ago. Will Lilly see the truth about her past, and allow herself a second chance to dance and another chance to find love?
ROSE PARADE NEW YEAR
Premieres Sunday, January 1st at 8/7c
Starring: Rachel Boston (In Plain Sight)

Andy (Boston) is a passionate and talented artist whose Pasadena family has been building Rose Parade floats for generations. But when her Dad gets sick and can’t lead this year’s efforts as usual, Andy has no choice but to take the helm and supervise the construction and decoration of their client’s float over Christmas with only a few weeks to go. And to make matters worse, she’s saddled with the extra challenge of dealing with Cliff, a demanding businessman whose company commissioned the float. Forced to work together, these two can’t help but clash – she’s a creative type who knows this flower-strewn process inside out, while he’s all business with no time for art. But working side-by-side over Christmas, they each learn the other is not who they seem. And together, with a ragtag team of volunteers, they might just have what it takes to create a magnificent Rose Parade float… IF they can pull it together by New Year’s.
And here's a new Hallmark Hall of Fame movie:

Hallmark Hall of Fame - Christmas Angel in Training
Premieres Saturday, November 26 at 8/7c
Starring: Kristin Davis, Eric McCormack, and Shirley MacLaine

Upon her untimely death, Eve Morgan (Davis), a workaholic finds herself tethered to her guardian angel (MacLaine) learning to become a Christmas angel in Heaven. Despite being the worst recruit in the history of Christmas, Eve is assigned the difficult task of helping a struggling singer Max (McCormack) use his musical gifts to heal old family wounds. As Max begins to overcome his issues, Eve begins to embrace the meaning of Christmas, heal wounds of her own, and perhaps find love along the way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.