Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

I ended up seeing a Lifetime movie starring Jessica Lowndes just in the past few days from two? years ago. In that one she was a crazy wayward teen that got obsessive over her boyfriend. The movie was most notable for starring a pre-Flash Grant Gustin as said boyfriend. I'll probably give this movie a shot based on her performance in the earlier film.

Ice Sculpture Christmas looks cute but I am not the biggest fan of its lead female actress. I didn't make it past the opening ten minutes, though the ice sculptures looked incredibly cool.
Old 11-23-15, 03:44 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Saturday night's new movie is Northpole: Open For Christmas starring Lori Loughlin, Dermot Mulroney and Bailee Madison. It premieres at 8pm. If you miss it, there's replays on Sunday at 2pm and Thursday at 10pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/north...-for-christmas
So far this has been my favorite of the new movies. It was a big improvement over last year's Northpole, which was decent but not great. I liked seeing more of the Northpole town. Lori Loughlin did a great job in the lead role. And Bailee Madison is perfect as Clementine. She's been the highlight of both Northpole movies.

This was definitely a full-fledged Christmas movie with beautiful sets/decorations, lots of Christmas spirit, and a few appearances by Santa Claus. Check it out if you get a chance.
Old 11-23-15, 07:27 AM

I don't know if anyone's interested, but tonight at 8pm there's a Primetime Holiday Special for HMC's daytime show Home & Family. It'll replay Tuesday at 10am and Wednesday at Noon.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/srOaBaNZdlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Join Mark, Cristina and the rest of the family for a primetime holiday extravaganza with appearances by Hallmark stars Holly Robinson Peete, Lacey Chabert, Danica McKellar and Barbara Niven; Grammy-winning musician LeAnn Rimes performs holiday songs from her new Christmas album; the H&F home is lit up to music by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra; Aerial Ice Extreme performs; the Six String Soldiers perform; how to make perfect wreaths for the holidays; the family shares holiday memories and traditions.
Old 11-23-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't think of the name but watched a Christmas movie with Henry Winkler and Brooke Burns this weekend. More of a pure romance with Christmas trimmings in the background, but it was enjoyable. Burns plays the career woman with a serious, aloof boyfriend. She takes in a guy her friendly uncle played by Henry Winkler invites to stay over when the guy's plane flight is grounded.

Henry Winkler has the perfect personality for these Christmas movies. He'd be one of the first actors I would call in casting one.
Old 11-23-15, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I can't think of the name but watched a Christmas movie with Henry Winkler and Brooke Burns this weekend. More of a pure romance with Christmas trimmings in the background, but it was enjoyable. Burns plays the career woman with a serious, aloof boyfriend. She takes in a guy her friendly uncle played by Henry Winkler invites to stay over when the guy's plane flight is grounded.

Henry Winkler has the perfect personality for these Christmas movies. He'd be one of the first actors I would call in casting one.
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

That's a good movie. I haven't had a chance to see it yet this year. But I'm looking forward to it.

That reminds me, I wanted to check out An American Christmas Carol this year. It's available at Amazon Prime. I haven't seen that in a long time, but I remember liking it when I was a kid.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A5PEY34
Old 11-23-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That reminds me, I wanted to check out An American Christmas Carol this year. It's available at Amazon Prime. I haven't seen that in a long time, but I remember liking it when I was a kid.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A5PEY34
It came out on Blu-ray a few years ago. An unusual but solid adaptation from when Winkler was a huge star as Fonzie.

http://www.doblu.com/2012/10/10/an-a...-carol-review/
Old 11-24-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Merry Matrimony (Phantom, this is the one that stars Jessica Lowndes). This turned out to be a pleasant surprise, and was a breeze to watch in one sitting.
Old 11-24-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

It's like they grabbed every actress they could from the revamped 90210.
Old 11-24-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Caught Snow Bride with Katrina Law. Really not much of a Christmas movie except the time of year it is set. I may have liked it better if the ending wasn't so forced and rushed. It's like the producers were aiming for a three hour movie, only to realize after nearly two hours it was meant to be over. The "romance" plot skips over two or three steps along the way.

Katrina Law looks so much different in it than she does in her other appearances.
Old 11-25-15, 06:30 PM

Tonight's new movie is Once Upon A Holiday starring Briana Evigan and Paul Campbell. It premieres at 8pm Wednesday night, with replays on Thursday at 4pm and Saturday at Noon.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/once-upon-a-holiday

When an actual, honest-to-goodness royal princess runs off from her official obligations and duties for a couple of days to see how the other half lives, she winds up falling for a good Samaritan who is unaware of her real identity. And it happens right around Christmas. Will the guy still feel the same way once he learns the truth? And if this works out, won’t that make him a prince? We’re guessing yes.
Old 11-26-15, 07:51 PM

Thanksgiving night's new movie is 12 Gifts of Christmas starring Katrina Law, Aaron O'Connell and Donna Mills. It replays Friday at 4pm and Monday at 10pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/12-gifts-of-christmas

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TLwh4vgAyy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Anna, an unemployed painter, is unable to make ends meet, she is hired to become a personal Christmas shopper for Marc, an uptight corporate exec. As they work together, Marc learns that Christmas giving has less to do with the amount of money spent and more to do with the importance of the gift, while Anna discovers she might find success as an artist in a way she never expected.
Old 11-26-15, 09:30 PM

I really liked 12 Gifts of Christmas. It was mostly due to Katrina Law. Took me a while to figure out where I knew her from. Then I realized she was Nyssa al Ghul (the hot lesbian assassin) on Arrow. She was also in the Hallmark Christmas movie Snow Bride (2013). I'll have to check that out.

The beloved family portraits were two of the ugliest paintings I'd ever seen.
Old 11-27-15, 09:18 AM

Friday night's movie is Crown For Christmas starring Danica McKellar and Rupert Penry-Jones. It premieres at 8pm with replays on Sunday at 4pm and Tuesday at 8pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/crown-for-christmas

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oRZf8-SoQ6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After getting fired from her job as a maid at a ritzy New York City hotel, Allie reluctantly accepts a temp gig as the governess to a young girl who is part of a powerful family in Europe that lives in an actual castle. After arriving, Allie learns the girl is named Princess Theodora and her father is Maximillian, the King of Winshire. The King informs Allie that the Princess has a tendency to terrorize authority figures, a predilection that has grown worse since her mother’s death. Yet governess and Princess wind up hitting it off while at the same time a spark forms between Allie and Max. However, Countess Celia is expecting to wed the King. Will Max take a stand for his feelings for Allie and make it truly a merry Christmas for all (or at least, most)?
Here's the annual "Down on her luck, commoner girl and handsome Prince/King fall in love at Christmastime" flick. I like Danica McKellar, but I haven't been impressed by anything she's done lately.
Old 11-27-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I caught the newest one with Alicia Witt. She's a busy career woman with a habit of lying, so her life gets turned upside down when Santa magically forces her to tell the truth every time she speaks.

I think Alicia Witt is perfect in these Christmas movies and it's not her fault, but I didn't like it. The screenplay makes Witt's character out to be a fairly nasty, selfish person and then Santa's magic forces her against her will to be a nice person, which actually works to her benefit.
Old 11-28-15, 11:25 AM

Saturday night's new movie is A Christmas Detour starring Candace Cameron Bure and Paul Greene. It airs tonight at 8pm with replays on Sunday at 2pm and Friday at 10pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-christmas-detour

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BzzJtCQn0kM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two New York City-bound travelers find themselves inextricably linked when a snowstorm reroutes them to an airport hotel in Buffalo. Ever the eternal optimist and hopeless romantic, Paige desperately needs to find a way back home to meet her fiancee’s parents before her forthcoming wedding. And it’s somehow up to fellow passenger Dylan MacKenzie, who is permanently soured on romance following a recent heartbreak. Yet Dylan somehow rises to the occasion to become Paige’s chivalrous helpmate. The pair are joined on this misadventure by an older couple named Frank and Maxine trying to get to Connecticut. As their madcap journey ensues, our foursome will find plenty of surprises in store.
Candace Cameron Bure is a regular on these Hallmark Christmas movies. I think she's done at least four or five. I really liked her in last year's Christmas Under Wraps.
Old 11-28-15, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Do they have any Hanukkah movies?
Old 11-28-15, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
Do they have any Hanukkah movies?
I don't know if any of this year's new movies are Hanukkah-related. But keep an eye out for Hitched For The Holidays starring Joey Lawrence, Emily Hampshire and Marilu Henner. It was just on last night. The next showtime is December 8th at 10pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/hitched-for-the-holidays

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/007kW0iURNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Both Rob Marino and Julie Green are feeling pressure to be in a relationship this holiday season and, after finding each other through a dating website, agree to pose as each other’s special someone. Things get complicated when Rob’s Catholic family and Julie’s Jewish family get involved to help these two make it to the altar. As they double their efforts to keep the charade going through New Year’s Eve, Rob and Julie are more than a little surprised when they discover they’re actually falling in love.
Old 11-28-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For those wondering, Walmart is currently swimming in Christmas movie DVDs. Most stores I've visited have at least two separate, dedicated sections with Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas movies in the normal media area. Including some of the ones mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-28-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I saw I'm Not Ready for Christmas last night and liked it for the most part. It was cute. Haven't seen Maxwell Caufield in years. I remember him from the 80's soap opera "The Colby's" He was an interesting villain. Alicia Witt was charming as the lead.

I enjoyed the aspect of the niece wishing her too busy aunt could only tell the truth. Thought that brought some nice humor to it.

Only aspect I didn't think really worked with Witt's character and the love interest. The relationship moved really fast.
Old 11-29-15, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw I'm Not Ready for Christmas last night and liked it for the most part.
I enjoyed it too, but mostly because of Alicia Witt. The male lead was awful. He had zero personality and one facial expression. Luckily, Alicia Witt is so good in these movies, she can have chemistry with a wood plank.
Old 11-29-15, 10:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I really liked 12 Gifts of Christmas. It was mostly due to Katrina Law. Took me a while to figure out where I knew her from. Then I realized she was Nyssa al Ghul (the hot lesbian assassin) on Arrow. She was also in the Hallmark Christmas movie Snow Bride (2013). I'll have to check that out.

The beloved family portraits were two of the ugliest paintings I'd ever seen.
I liked this as well due to katrina, this was a solid watch because of her...

Ccb cued up next
Old 11-29-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I highly, highly recommend the sweet A Royal Christmas. Lacey Chabert is spectacularly cute and playful in it as the American girlfriend of a European prince. She's been in a few of these Christmas movies but this role was tailor-made for her talents. It is more of a traditional romance drama than an actual Christmas film, but the lavish European castle setting strangely works perfectly.
Old 11-30-15, 01:26 PM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

I was house-sitting last week, so I have started to work my way through a back-log of Hallmark (along with UP and Lifetime) Christmas films. Starting on Saturday I have already knocked out at least 3 films, and plan to try to knock out another 2-3 during the week, and much more on the weekend.

I am going to edit to add the titles I watched on Sat/Sun tonight...but holy moley, I have quite the backlog to enjoy (my goal is to watch all the Christmas themed films no later than the 23rd, as I am usually busy on the 24th and 25th, and watching Countdown to Christmas films after Christmas just feels wrong).
Old 12-01-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was mildly bored by Merry Matrimony. It was apparent very early into the movie that the two potential romantic rivals to the movie's intended couple were no real threat.

I think I saw a Christmas tree in the background of one scene. It felt like a typical romance script and they decided to say it was a Christmas movie for marketing.
Old 12-02-15, 08:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I remember back in my cable TV days trying to DVR and then DVD-R each of these movies. That was a full-time job!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.