TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S5E04) -- "Slabtown" -- 11/02/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S5E04) -- "Slabtown" -- 11/02/14

Originally Posted by Neil M.
It would have been better to spread Beth's story over the last couple of episodes. It's a hard sell to dedicate a whole episode to such a minor character especially when most of it is a bore.
This was like a horrible spinoff episode starring the least interesting character of the original show. I don't understand how they thought this was a good idea.
Old 11-02-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The real question I have is what happened with Beth when she got separated from Daryl at the house. She obviously got hurt somehow but the scene in last season's episode made it seem like a "grab and dash". I wonder if the black car, which was visible in the parking lot, is used to drive around and abduct people, or was it just a supply run.
I think the guy saw her, saw how cute she was, knocked her out from behind, broke her wrist, and then made up a story about walkers.

I like Beth more than most, but she didn't need an entire episode. Emily Kinney alone can't carry an entire episode. Sure they gave her the usually terrific Christine Woods (though all I see now is her character from Hello Ladies...I just imagine her auditioning for this show...I wonder if she tap danced) and the oscar nominated girl from Whale Rider popped in to give a couple lines and then turn into a zombie, but I think it was asking too much of Emily. It would have been too much for most of that cast. They are just not comparable to David Morrissey.

I would be stunned if Carol wasn't a Trojan horse.
Old 11-02-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio
Great episode. It was nice to get back to the city and see something else for a change. Don't understand the bitching.
I liked it too.
Old 11-02-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg
My awesome new X1 box petered out when she started running into the group on walkers.

What happened since it's obvious I won't get to see it.
Beth trips Noah and escapes while the zombies eat him.

Ok not really. The cops tackle her and don't rape her. They bring her back to boss lady. Boss lady hits her with a framed photo. A little later after Beth wakes up she sees Carol being brought in. Daryl is nowhere to be seen though. Fade to black.

On a different Captain Jack is really into this show.
Old 11-03-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So I didn't hate the episode nor did I like it all that much. I don't mind slow episodes if they are interesting but this was kind of on the dull side.

I liked Noah, i liked the situation, and that is pretty much it. They were being little to vague on evil being done in the hospital. They say he attacked her instead he raped and beat her. We see zombies getting their heads blown off but they can't speak clearly about stuff. Boss lady was abusive without reason. I have no idea why she slapped Beth after learning the one guy couldn't be saved. I just couldn't take the character seriously. She is no Missy or Governor. And the bad cop couldn't act either.

Why did the one lady kill herself in Boss Lady's office? So the Doctor killed the other doctor so he could be special? Would anyone kill a doctor in this world even if they had 50 of them? That made no sense to me. What happens when the one doctor has a accident.

I think the best thing about this episode is at least Carol is here to kill everybody.
Old 11-03-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Beth trips Noah and escapes while the zombies eat him.
That's a classic Shane move.
Old 11-03-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Why did the one lady kill herself in Boss Lady's office? So the Doctor killed the other doctor so he could be special? Would anyone kill a doctor in this world even if they had 50 of them? That made no sense to me. What happens when the one doctor has a accident.
Perhaps that cop attempted to rape her again, which is why he came back into the room to check on her? That is what I assumed was going on with the everyone, as indicated by Beth pretty much being told by June to let the male officers have what they want. Who knows.

The doctor using someone else to kill that man made sense. It seems he believes the only reason they have him around is because he was the only doctor they had.

The real question is why those male officers allow Dawn to lead them, when at least one of them is having their way with the women. you would think the alpha male would have seized power.
Old 11-03-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next week's prediction:

Old 11-03-14, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I felt like I didn't know what was going on with this place the entire episode, and that I was missing a big chunk of the story or something. I just felt like the set up and the interactions in this hospital never really was explained very well, nor were the characters established to make it interesting. Terminus was set up FAR better in the season premiere, and resolved, then these guys were.

I don't mind Beth at all, and was looking forward to seeing what was going on with her, but this episode just seemed like a mess. 10 minutes scattered throughout some of the other episodes would have been nice over a single episode that still doesn't fully complete this part of the story.
Old 11-03-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The keep AMC commercials were actually the most annoying thing about the episode
Old 11-03-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Fumanstan on that it felt like there was a big chunk missing in actually knowing or getting what the fuck they were putting us with this episode.

While not a terrible episode, I just would have liked a bit more clarity in what was happening.
Old 11-03-14, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I felt like I didn't know what was going on with this place the entire episode, and that I was missing a big chunk of the story or something. I just felt like the set up and the interactions in this hospital never really was explained very well, nor were the characters established to make it interesting. Terminus was set up FAR better in the season premiere, and resolved, then these guys were.

I don't mind Beth at all, and was looking forward to seeing what was going on with her, but this episode just seemed like a mess. 10 minutes scattered throughout some of the other episodes would have been nice over a single episode that still doesn't fully complete this part of the story.
But that's what I got out of it, that basically the hospital is seen thru Beth's POV. She's trying to figure out the situation and that's all the viewer sees, too.
Old 11-03-14, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One possible thing to come out of this: Noah is from Richmond, Va., which isn't far from D.C., where part of the group is headed with Eugene. Noah knows there's nothing left there to go to, and he'll be able to tell that to Rick and the others left in Georgia.
Old 11-03-14, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that was it for Keisha Castle-Hughes?

Is there a working elevator or are they carrying gurneys up the stairs?

Why even let Beth live? She "killed" the other doctor. "Killed" Gorman, let Walker Joan live which killed the other female cop.
Old 11-03-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
This was like a horrible spinoff episode starring the least interesting character of the original show. I don't understand how they thought this was a good idea.
My thoughts exactly. As others mentioned, it felt like I had missed an entire episode. To me it did not even have a "The Walking Dead" feel to it as the actors were uninspiring and I was completely bored. It was a complete mess and looked more like something you would see on the SyFy channel. Unfortunately, with Beth still stuck in there and Carol being brought in, it looks like we are going to be making a return visit to(hopefully) wrap up this part of the storyline.
Old 11-03-14, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I really enjoy these standalone episodes featuring one character, because nothing is ever rushed. Sure you are sort of wondering where everything is going in the first half of the show (and it may seem boring), but thats the point as the second half usually gives you the payoff. I love shows that just don't go from point A to point B, as these type of episodes keep things fresh.

I don't understand people who have problems with these types of episodes, what do you want every episode of Rick & Co. going postal on a bunch of walkers or another group who wronged them? The show is about people, and how people deal with the apocalypse. Each group our characters encounter DON'T think what they are doing is wrong in their own screwed up way. In a sadistic way, these people at the hospital thought because they were saving these patients, they were owed something in return. It really shows when you have no laws or a central government, certain people take power and abuse the hell out of it.

If you want people killing walkers every episode, then SyFy channel should pick this up and they can dumb it down with no character development have all action. Some episodes should move slow, because it develops things the right way.

IMO, of course.

Last edited by mcnabb; 11-03-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I guess my frustration with the episode is that I'm sick of them running into groups of people that won't let someone leave. I don't get it. It's just the same stupid plot device over and over. Yeah I get you want strength in numbers and all that jazz, but all these groups are run like a prison. If someone doesn't want to be a part of it, let them go.
Old 11-03-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan

100% agree. This episode was just off. Felt like parts were poorly set up and I just wasn't getting the character's motivations.
Old 11-03-14, 07:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I felt bad for whoever else with DirecTV who was trying to watch this. The "KeepAMC" pop-ups and commercials were annoying as hell.

Here's what confused me about the hospital scenario, and maybe someone can help me with what I missed. How are the hospital folks able to get in and out of the walker infested maze of a parking lot, walker infested basement, ground floor (and apparently a couple of floors up, with one grabbing at Noah through an elevator doorway during his decent) carrying wounded "rescues" on gurneys up several flights? There are several "white cross" vehicles that are locked up in fenced in parking lot, that walkers have obviously breached, that you're supposed to have access to as well. I can understand having to make emergency food and supplies runs, but seeking out people to bring back? I know there's a common theme of "they think I look weak" in the people they bring in, but...why bother? It would seem that with all of these obstacles in the way they would risk losing more people just getting in and out than what they would gain bringing in.
Old 11-03-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by parker63
I felt bad for whoever else with DirecTV who was trying to watch this. The "KeepAMC" pop-ups and commercials were annoying as hell.
Not sure how many times others saw it, but I only saw it (popup) twice.
As for the commercials, well like all commercials, I hate them but they need to get the word out that DirecTV may loose AMC .... AGAIN!
We went through this a few years ago. Pretty short contract, no?
Old 11-03-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully next week's episode opens with Carol waking up and just murdering the hell out of everybody.
Old 11-03-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I thought the episode was OK. I like seeing another setup of survivors, this time in the big city. It was also great to see the Atlanta downtown as it looks post-zombie apocalypse. And a nice shout-out to some real Atlanta locations such as Grady Hospital and the High Museum.

The only thing I found weak was the doctor Steven wanting to kill the other doctor being treated. I get that Steven had established a bit of autonomy there and was afraid of losing it or being expendable. But doctors tend to be buddies and like to work together, so it was most likely (in my mind) that the two doctors would team up against Dawn for more autonomy and not be competing against each other.
Old 11-03-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Not sure how many times others saw it, but I only saw it (popup) twice.
As for the commercials, well like all commercials, I hate them but they need to get the word out that DirecTV may loose AMC .... AGAIN!
We went through this a few years ago. Pretty short contract, no?
Those banners were fucking annoying. They shouldve left the fans out of that pissing contest.
Old 11-03-14, 09:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Keisha Castle-Hughes was wasted. Surely they could have found a better role for a Oscar nominee?

Haven't seen the dude from "Everybody Hates Christ" for a while. Glad his character got away.
Old 11-03-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Keisha Castle-Hughes was wasted. Surely they could have found a better role for a Oscar nominee?
I figured she must have really wanted to be on the show, but not tied down for multiple episodes. If not then her career isn't exactly exploding. At least she'll have Game of Thrones next spring, though I wonder how big that part will end up being.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.