TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gracepoint (FOX) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gracepoint (S1E02) -- "Episode 2" -- 10/9/14

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's basically a ten episode miniseries; i can't imagine they would pull it from the schedule. Might dump it off to Saturday and run back-to-back episodes to burn it off, or something, though.
I also think they might put it on Saturdays. CBS did a similar thing back in 2009 with the limited series Harper's Island. The show was put on Thursdays, but it got moved to Saturdays because of low live viewer ratings during the first few episodes.

I liked episode 2 of Gracepoint. The pacing of the story fits with the story and I'm already suspecting a couple of people after the episode and I'm curious about Carver's past.
Old 10-16-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Gracepoint (S1E03) -- "Episode 3" -- 10/16/14

MARK GETS CAUGHT IN A LIE ON AN ALL-NEW "GRACEPOINT" THURSDAY, OCTOBER 16, ON FOX

With the investigation in full swing, Mark Solano is brought in for questioning after getting caught in a lie. Then, Gemma reveals a secret to the detectives and Carver interviews Ellie's husband, Tom, in the all-new "Episode Three" of GRACEPOINT airing Thursday, Oct. 16 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GPT-103) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: David Tennant as Detective Emmett Carver; Anna Gunn as Detective Ellie Miller; Michael Pena as Mark Solano; Virginia Kull as Beth Solano; Nick Nolte as Jack Reinhold; Jacki Weaver as Susan Wright; Josh Hamilton as Joe Miller; Kevin Rankin as Paul Coates; Kevin Zegers as Owen Burke; Jessica Lucas as Renee Clemons; Stephen Louis Grush as Vince Novik; Madalyn Horcher as Chloe Solano; Sarah-Jane Potts as Gemma Fisher; Jack Irvine as Tom Miller; Kendrick Sampson as Dean Iverson.

Guest Cast: Adam Greydon Reid as Raymond Connelly; Alisen Down as Kathy Eaton; Linda Darlow as Mary Parnell; Nikolas Filipovic as Danny Solano; Darcy Laurie as Hugo Garcia; Patrick Gilmore as Pete Lawson; Andrew Wheeler as Martin Baxter; Nixon and Barreyy Szadkowski as Dylan Miller; Ken Camroux as Chairman; Mary Black as Vince's Mother; Elizabeth Bowen as Kimberly Fitch.

Read more: Listings - GRACEPOINT on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3GMdVVqJD

Episode 3 of 10
Old 10-23-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Gracepoint (FOX) -- Series Thread

THE LIST OF POTENTIAL SUSPECTS BEGINS TO GROW ON AN ALL-NEW "GRACEPOINT" THURSDAY, OCTOBER 23, ON FOX

New suspects make the list as the detectives learn that Danny had some secrets of his own. Meanwhile, Detective Carver is also keeping things hidden that could affect his ability to finish the case in the all-new "Episode Four" of GRACEPOINT airing Thursday, Oct. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GPT-104) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: David Tennant as Detective Emmett Carver; Anna Gunn as Detective Ellie Miller; Michael Pena as Mark Solano; Virginia Kull as Beth Solano; Nick Nolte as Jack Reinhold; Jacki Weaver as Susan Wright; Josh Hamilton as Joe Miller; Kevin Rankin as Paul Coates; Kevin Zegers as Owen Burke; Jessica Lucas as Renee Clemons; Stephen Louis Grush as Vince Novik; Madalyn Horcher as Chloe Solano; Sarah-Jane Potts as Gemma Fisher; Jack Irvine as Tom Miller; Kendrick Sampson as Dean Iverson.

Guest Cast: Adam Greydon Reid as Raymond Connelly; Nikolas Filipovic as Danny Solano; Tom Butler as Chief Terrence Morgan; Dary Laurie as Hugo Garcia; Patrick Gilmore as Pete Lawson; Bredan Fletcher as Lars Pierson/Backpacker; Bryce Hodgson as Mickey Felton; Alison Matthews as Desk Sergeant/Tammy Holt; Yvette Dudley-Neuman as Chicken Woman; Daniel Kelly as Warehouse Manager; Chloe Babcook as Julianne.

Read more: Listings - GRACEPOINT on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3H1FnxLs9

Tonight is episode 4 of 10

Even though this is a serialized show, I'm not going to waste time doing individual episode threads anymore for shows that aren't getting any activity. Last week no one commented & the previous threads were pretty dead. So enjoy for anyone left watching.

For the record, I have watched every episode so far, but I had a strong feeling this show was going to bomb, especially on Thursday nights and facing NFL. NFL is probably the main reason why no one is watching.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-23-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-23-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: Gracepoint (FOX) -- Series Thread

Does Fox do on demand? I have DirecTV and Fox programming isn't available to download.

With a tightly serialized program like this, that's about the only way the can pick up new viewers.
Old 10-23-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
NFL is probably the main reason why no one is watching.
That and Scandal. Oh, and because it's on FOX too.
Old 10-24-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I get why they make like everyone seem like they are a suspect, but it's mildly obnoxious. Like when the cop's kid when to the guy's shop and then he closes the door all creepy. Like, really? I think the show is well done, but I have no doubts this won't be back. Way too serialized. This should've been a summer show on Fox.
Old 10-24-14, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I get why they make like everyone seem like they are a suspect, but it's mildly obnoxious. Like when the cop's kid when to the guy's shop and then he closes the door all creepy. Like, really? I think the show is well done, but I have no doubts this won't be back. Way too serialized. This should've been a summer show on Fox.
I do wonder if it would have worked better airing in the summer. As a limited series, I think it is a decent show.

Last edited by writer106; 10-24-14 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 04:21 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

^ Agreed. Limited series runs seem to just work better in the summer months. I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but for what it's worth, I am enjoying the show 3 episodes in.

Early word is that the action doesn't start to heat up until episode 7.
Old 10-24-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it still pretty close to the British original?
Old 10-28-14, 12:49 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

I just caught up on this show thus week. Didn't see Broadchurch, so this is all new to me.

So far, so good.
Old 10-28-14, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I haven't the original. I've read a few articles that say that it does follow the orignal closely, but the American producers/writers decided to change the killer.
Old 10-28-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Gracepoint (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Episode 1" -- 10/2/14

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I really liked the original, so I hope this is a good re-make. Still, I wonder why they didn't just license the British version. It's not as if it was in a different language.
Money. Buying the rights to remake a show is much cheaper than buying the rights to the finished product. And if the network makes it in-house, then they stand to make tons of money off foreign sales, off-network syndication, ads for Fox\Hulu streaming, licensing to Netflix or Amazon, home video sales, OnDemand ads\licensing, merchandising, spin-offs and more.

NBC could have just aired the original British version of The Office. But, for them, the difference between airing the original and making their own was, quite literally, a billion dollars.
Old 10-29-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
It's still running pretty close with a few tweaks here and there.
Old 11-04-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I caught up with the first half of the season last night. I like it so far.
Never seen Broadchurch either.
Old 11-04-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I really feel bad for people who are watching this version first instead of BROADCHURCH, which was SO much better acted and engaging. Even Tennant is doing a worse job and he's playing the same bloody character (albeit with a different name).

Watching GRACEPOINT has been like watching Gus Van Sant's PSYCHO in stead of the one by Hitchcock...that's the best comparison I can make.
Old 11-04-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So are you saying I can watch the first half of Gracepoint, then jump to Broadchurch for the rest of the series? ;-)
Old 11-04-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
So are you saying I can watch the first half of Gracepoint, then jump to Broadchurch for the rest of the series? ;-)
More or less...seriously. Only a few minor plot points have been changed so far.
Old 11-05-14, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Well the remake changes course and becomes separate from the original around episode 7 or 8.
Old 11-05-14, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

What episode are we up to? I've been watching but lost track. I'm certainly interested in seeing how things might change. My main gripe with the show (including when it was Broadchurch) is that there are no real clues as to the killer's identity. They present false clues with nearly every character that they introduce so, in the end, you're just guessing at who it might be. There's no real way to deduce the killer.
Old 11-05-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
What episode are we up to?
According to TVRage, episode 6 airs tomorrow (Nov 6, 2014).
Old 11-05-14, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
For what's it's worth I have several friends who have watched Broadchurch who are loving Gracepoint. They love what Tennant is doing in comparison with the original, as well as enjoying the story with the tweaks.

In my own poll I was advised to finish Gracepoint, then watch Broadchurch, but YMMV.
Old 11-05-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm enjoying it, but it really takes me out of the drama when a scene ends, we to go commerical, and its the Fox ad for "Who Killed Danny!!!" Go to Fox.com to Vote on who YOU think is the killler!!!!

Its like every character is on a cereal box top and you tear them off and mail them in to vote. It removes what weight there is to the subject matter.

But then thats Fox. After this I will seek out Broadchurch.
Old 11-21-14, 03:43 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Just finished watching last night's ep... and now we get a 2-week break until the show resumes with Episode 9.

Things are getting heated as they start closing in on the killer... and I still have no clue who it really is.

After this, I will watch Broadchurch.
Old 11-21-14, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I'm enjoying it, but it really takes me out of the drama when a scene ends, we to go commerical, and its the Fox ad for "Who Killed Danny!!!" Go to Fox.com to Vote on who YOU think is the killler!!!!

Its like every character is on a cereal box top and you tear them off and mail them in to vote. It removes what weight there is to the subject matter.

But then thats Fox. After this I will seek out Broadchurch.
I agree those commercials are annoying. Years ago on TV, when networks that did the "Who killed or who shot?" promos or commercials for shows , they didn't hit you over the head too much. These days with the Internet and social media, that stuff has become annoying.
Old 12-05-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ellie asking Susan "how did you not know?" pretty much confirms that Ellie's husband is the killer.

Broadchurch will be available on Netflix on December 12.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.