TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Affair (Showtime) - Season 1 Thread - premiering 10/12/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: The Affair (Showtime) - Season 1 Thread - premiering 10/12/14

Originally Posted by slop101
So how can one person remember going to check out the apartment and the other not? I mean, it's a pretty straightforward, objective thing; they either went, or they didn't - but the way they're portraying different versions goes way beyond "Rashomon".
I just took that as that part was a significant memory for one and not as much for the other. Or we saw it happen on one side and no need to rehash on the other.

It has been happening like that all season.

The look on the three faces at the end of the most recent episode was priceless.
Old 12-16-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I just took that as that part was a significant memory for one and not as much for the other. Or we saw it happen on one side and no need to rehash on the other.

It has been happening like that all season.

The look on the three faces at the end of the most recent episode was priceless.
That's how I took it too. Really looking forward to see how they wrap up the season.
Old 12-16-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It's all part of the lie or it simply wasn't important to her.

I'm soooo confused about Deacon's stories though. Why is he lying to them? Him having girls or boys or being married or divorced shouldn't have any bearing on his investigation I wouldn't think.
Old 12-16-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
It's all part of the lie or it simply wasn't important to her.

I'm soooo confused about Deacon's stories though. Why is he lying to them? Him having girls or boys or being married or divorced shouldn't have any bearing on his investigation I wouldn't think.
I'm guessing he just says things he think will help with his interview of each and isn't keeping his stories straight (but doesn't really care). And it's awesome you call him Deacon.
Old 12-16-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

The scene with Noah at the Planned Parenthood confronting that guy and screaming "I'll kill you" felt really contrived, at least for this show where things typically feel more natural and not so soap-opera-ish.
Old 12-17-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Another great episode, as it will be interesting to see how everything plays out next week.

You can see a liberal writes this show because there was no conversation between the parents and the daughter about possibly not having an abortion. I'm Pro-Choice but if I were in that situation as a parent, the question of the keeping the baby would come up even if the families final decision was aborting it.
Old 12-17-14, 09:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Interesting observation. The dynamic with the kids seems to be the weak link with this show for me. Another example was when Noah was kicked out of the house in this latest episode. I assume the kids were home, but they showed it as if he stormed out of the house w/o saying goodbye or any interaction whatsoever. Doubt that would actually happen.
Old 12-17-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing the show does well is that it makes me not want to be a parent. Almost every interaction with their kids borders on pain and torture.
Old 12-17-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing the show does well is that it makes me not want to be a parent. Almost every interaction with their kids borders on pain and torture.
If you have shitheads for kids like they do, then yeah, it would suck. Luckily my kid is not a dick...yet.

But really, they have shown their parenting and discipline skills on this show to be horrible. So many times in this show the kids are acting like a bunch of unruly fools and both Noah and his wife seem oblivious. My child would NEVER act like that, especially in public. The earlier episodes when they were eating out made me cringe!
Old 12-21-14, 09:58 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Hmmm... So no real resolution. I wonder if they changed the ending once they were renewed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-reveal-759796

Last edited by dex14; 12-21-14 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So how the hell do they both remember the gun incident so differently? That seemed way out of whack.

Is Noah giving his differently for his defense? Both were just so way off from one another.
Old 12-21-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no idea what I saw in the season finale tonight...
Old 12-21-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Noah giving his differently for his defense? Both were just so way off from one another.
A lot of the the stuff they show aren't necessarily things they're telling the cop.

Anyways, I've liked this show, but I really don't like and don't care for this whole murder/police-investigation thing, which seem like all next season would be about. I mean, what else could next season be about?
Old 12-22-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the the stuff they show aren't necessarily things they're telling the cop.
I know that. But that is the only plausible explanation I could come up with to explain why their memories of that day are so radically different.

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I raised the same issue with the previous episode where in one version they visited the apartment and the other they didn't - they either did or they didn't, it's hard to get my head around straightforward objective stuff being different.
Old 12-22-14, 10:03 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

No, I raised the same issue with the previous episode where in one version they visited the apartment and the other they didn't - they either did or they didn't, it's hard to get my head around straightforward objective stuff being different.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5991648.html
Old 12-22-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One weird thing that struck me was the timeline. So Allison's son died in 2012 (as marked on his tombstone), they have the affair 2 years later in 2014. So the police investigation, and being that Noah and Allison have a girl, would have to be in the future, around 2016. So the murder would be 2015. I wonder if they'll stick to that.
Old 12-22-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I get the feeling Noah is protecting Allison somehow.
Old 12-22-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I get the feeling Noah is protecting Allison somehow.
Or Helen, or his daughter.
Old 12-22-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That didn't bother me as one showed it happen and one didn't show it at all. Just because one didn't show it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

But both had the gun scene and both scenes were so astoundingly different and life impacting/threathening that one version couldn't possibly be correct.
Old 12-22-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But both had the gun scene and both scenes were so astoundingly different and life impacting/threathening that one version couldn't possibly be correct.
I saw Allison's version as the extension to Noah's. His version cuts off while Cole's pointing the gun, her version goes past that.
Old 12-22-14, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to remember a more unlikeable assortment of characters.

Well, the lead cop is pretty cool.
Old 12-22-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

So how the hell do they both remember the gun incident so differently? That seemed way out of whack.

I assume what we are seeing is what each have described to the detective, for whatever reason.

Anyhow, awesome first season.
Old 12-22-14, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Allison's version as the extension to Noah's. His version cuts off while Cole's pointing the gun, her version goes past that.
Yes and as Red Dog just posted, I think what we are seeing is a story or scenes played out YEARS after they happened. Whether it is through what they are recounting via the interview or their thoughts while getting interviewed, it does not matter. It is being recounted years from when things happened. The wildy different clothes from each version of a story (I.e. the kitchen scenes at farmhouse) I thought proved this.

Anyway people, sit back and enjoy the show and quit looking for things that are wrong, just enjoy it. There are bigger more deserving targets out there then this show.
Old 12-23-14, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm watching episode 10 right now (the rubber room scene went on interminably) & once again was not impressed with Noah's intelligence. The asking to go get a paper was pretty contrived simply to show that he was a "prisoner" (although I'm sure that they are allowed lunch break); my first thought was "Why would someone basically assigned to stay in a waiting room all day not bring something to read, etc.?" And then wondering why a writer, of all people, wouldn't welcome an environment in which he gets paid to do nothing but write (it's like NYC has become his wealthy patron supporting him). He ought to be in hog heaven (of course, about then he pulls out his laptop & starts typing).

I thought this was supposed to be a one-shot miniseries like True Detective, but the posts above prove that's not true. I'm not sure whether to hang on to see where this is going (the default of these characters seems to be to scream & yell followed by make-up sex) and whether the mystery will ever be solved. Can't decide whether any of these characters are supposed to be sympathetic ("flawed" doesn't begin to describe them, especially since they seem to embrace their flaws).

Currently listening to more screaming (Whitney), anguished looks (Noah), lame attempts at parenting, etc. Honest question: For those who advise others to quit nit-picking and just sit back and "enjoy" the show, what parts of the plot do you find enjoyable? Seriously, what is it about the show that you like? The "he said/she said" structure? The muddled mystery? Seeing how many times the characters can screw up, make up, reset, screw up again, make up, etc.? Before you ask why do you watch if you don't like it, I started out watching it in prime time & now catch up on demand while doing internet work (Showtime is paid for so it's "free"...but I sure wouldn't buy or rent the DVD).

More screaming...the in-laws again...seems that they exist for the sole purpose of helping Noah & what's-her-name (Ellen?)...have something to bond over.

Whitney screaming & cursing again. Why would the parents want to report Scott for statutory rape (when their 16-year-old daughter was obviously basically trying to jump the bones of any male who would look her way) when they automatically chose abortion as the option to cover up the pregnancy and "move on"? More screaming, this time with Noah tackling Scott (who apparently doesn't have enough sense not to barge in unannounced when the guy who formerly attacked him spontaneously is in the house)...another contrived incident to provide an opportunity for "action" (Noah has a propensity for getting into physical altercations when he's not having sex) and for a confrontation with the cuckolded husband.

Cole's mother got it right: "Everyone in this room has done terrible things." The question is why viewers should care about any of these characters (yes, the woman lost her child, and the only cure for her loneliness was to have sex with a married man with a family. Hmmm.)

If the old definition of insanity fits, does that mean that these characters are all insane? Or do they just lack intelligence...or the moral fiber that gives them an underpinning that allows them to do the right thing? What a miserable, pathetic group of self-absorbed, drug-dealing, adulterous, promiscuous people.

Well, at least they have a shared vocabulary in which the "f" word crops up every couple of minutes (Cole just used it four times in three sentences).

What is the appeal of this show, and why are they dragging things out so long?

Might as well throw in that the theme song just grates on the nerves (at least for the opening bars). Has watching this become a masochistic pleasure?

"Are you really screwing my dad?" "Why? He's so old...and your husband's so hot."

My one hope is that there will be an eventual two-hour episode showing the entire story from a purely objective point of view that shows that these people are actually quite reasonable and none of the events played out as they did from the characters' viewpoints.

A great ending would have been Cole just wiping out everybody in the house (including himself) with Scotty arriving to discover the scene. That would have provided a neat (and plausible) ending for the show.

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-23-14 at 06:01 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.