Received 518 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Actor Stephen Collins Admits to Molesting Children

PLEASE no member baiting. Honestly...
Old 10-10-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I don't really understand some of the arguments being made here.

Yes, what he did was worse, but how can it NOT be a crime as well to know that someone is sexual molesting a child (or children) and not reporting for whatever reason...personal gain, helping some cover something up, etc?

It's beyond horrific to think of someone not having a duty to report knowledge of sexual abuse like that and it's not just a moral thing either. It sure seems like it should be criminal to just sit on that knowledge.
If the molestation continued with her knowledge the danger she took on was that of being a principal in the second degree or an accessory (or a co-conspirator).

If I watch my neighbor touch a kid through his window, shrug, and say it isn't my place, I am probably not going to ever be in criminal trouble. If it's my husband (yay same sex marriage being legal so we'll go with that), I would be much more worried about me being complicit in his crime.
Old 10-10-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Not really, he seemed to be arguing that not immediately turning in a pedophile is worse than being a pedophile.

Of course, it's not (it's still bad). But we don't know that that is what really happened in this case.
majorjoe's statment is the closest to what I was trying to say.
There are rwo additional qualifications to majorjoe's statment.
1. Collins is a "low degree" pedophile. There are ultra sick pedophile's who have sex with children, and then there are pedophile's who put the hands of children onto their genitals.
2. His wife held onto the tape, and used it to extort money. She didn't just fail to report it, she failed to report it and used it for monetary gain.
Old 10-10-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
1. Collins is a "low degree" pedophile. There are ultra sick pedophile's who have sex with children, and then there are pedophile's who put the hands of children onto their genitals.
This stuff actually makes sense in your head when you think it? What Collins did is beyond the moral event horizon. That there are worse pedophiles out there doesn't change the fact that he's in the top 1% of evil here. Even if Faye Grant did exactly what you say -- which is contrary to the reports I've read -- she's nowhere near close to Collins.
Old 10-11-14, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2. His wife held onto the tape, and used it to extort money. She didn't just fail to report it, she failed to report it and used it for monetary gain.
"it wasn't molestation molestation."

i don't think i would like my kid to be babysat by a "low degree" paedo.
Old 10-11-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, Collins really isn't that bad of a guy because he's only a "low degree pedophile" who's only real crime is being attracted to "really young girls," but Faye Grant is worse than Stephen Collins because she failed to report what a horrible monster Collins is?

wow.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vey7GKNpl4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-11-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
So, Collins really isn't that bad of a guy because he's only a "low degree pedophile" who's only real crime is being attracted to "really young girls," but Faye Grant is worse than Stephen Collins because she failed to report what a horrible monster Collins is?

wow.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vey7GKNpl4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I tend to consider this situation to be like trying to decide if John Wayne Gacy or Jeffrey Dahmer was worse (they're both horrible so why the fuck does it matter?), but I do think you are missing a lot of why Grant was so terrible -- she was content for love and/or money reasons to stay with Collins and cover this up until it was time for divorce. That's pretty twisted.

ETA: Also we apparently have to ask ourselves if she did actually report this at divorce which makes her terrible in one way or if she continued to keep the secret which makes her terrible in quite another, since she now denies releasing the recording.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 10-11-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-11-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I tend to consider this situation to be like trying to decide if John Wayne Gacy or Jeffrey Dahmer was worse (they're both horrible so why the fuck does it matter?), but I do think you are missing a lot of why Grant was so terrible -- she was content for love and/or money reasons to stay with Collins and cover this up until it was time for divorce. That's pretty twisted.
No, that's BS wearetheborg made up. Grant made the recording soon after she became convinced the accusations were real, and she turned it over to the police. The only person deserving blame here is Collins.
Old 10-11-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post

ETA: Also we apparently have to ask ourselves if she did actually report this at divorce which makes her terrible in one way or if she continued to keep the secret which makes her terrible in quite another, since she now denies releasing the recording.

I think a more reasonable comparison would be Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno. Jerry Sandusky raped kids. Joe Paterno in his own words "didn't do enough" to stop it.

Joe Paterno is no angel.
Jerry Sandusky is much worse. I don't even see how it's debatable.
Old 10-11-14, 01:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
Am I the only one who had no idea who this guy was?
He was in the first the very first as in the early one, the first Star Trek movie. Yeah I had lost track/trek of him and had to look up if it was the one and the same guy.
Old 10-16-14, 10:23 PM

Did he expose himself to these girls or have sex with them? Because there's a big difference, if his only crime is being naked in the presence of underage girls than give him a slap on the wrist and make him go to counseling. If he had actual sex with them then lock him up.
Old 10-16-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 661 Likes on 534 Posts

Is that you John Grisham?
Old 10-16-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 12-17-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 807 Likes on 567 Posts

Well, good for him.

http://www.people.com/article/stephe...ss-fullcontent

Originally Posted by People
Stephen Collins shares a vividly detailed confession with PEOPLE in which he admits he had inappropriate sexual contact with underage girls. Subscribe now to access the complete statement, only in PEOPLE.

Embattled actor Stephen Collins has released a lengthy statement to PEOPLE in which he admits to inappropriate sexual contact with three female minors.
Old 12-17-14, 04:13 PM

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd imagine he's ever so grateful for Bill Cosby taking the heat off of him and making him look like an OK dude in comparison.
Old 12-17-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 792 Likes on 559 Posts

I'm sure he's freely admitting it because the statute of limitations is long gone on these crimes.
Old 12-17-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I'm sure he's freely admitting it because the statute of limitations is long gone on these crimes.
His career and reputation is already ruined. He can't go out without being recognized as a scumbag child molester. He might as well pack his bags and leave the U.S. for some small secluded island.
Old 12-17-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,393 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
His career and reputation is already ruined. He can't go out without being recognized as a scumbag child molester. He might as well pack his bags and leave the U.S. for some small secluded island.
Or he could merge with V'ger and the bald chick and disappear into a ball of light.
Old 12-17-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Or he could merge with V'ger and the bald chick and disappear into a ball of light.
She died in 98 ... heart attack at 49!
Old 12-17-14, 07:09 PM
Banned

Re: Seventh Heaven reruns, they can just give the footage to George Lucas to tinker with. He's already got a digital replacement for Collins lined up:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...74-jar-.j.jpeg
Old 12-18-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Holy Crap this is the dude from Tales of the Gold Monkey. I really liked that show.

I also saw him play the dad of that moron whose name I cant remember, on the Office
Old 12-19-14, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 630 Likes on 492 Posts

I just watched All the President's Men for the first time and was surprised to see his name in the credits. Had to go back to the scene and even then I barely recognized him (I also did not recognize Meredith Baxter as his wife the first time through, although that was a lot more obvious once I knew)
Old 12-19-14, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Re: Seventh Heaven reruns, they can just give the footage to George Lucas to tinker with.
Yep. George can add, 'NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!' to every episode.