Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Titans -- coming to DC Universe

Originally Posted by Variety
TNT Eyes ‘Titans’ Superhero Series
September 11, 2014 | 04:00PM PT Whitney Friedlander

TNT is getting into the superhero game, as the cable channel and Warner Bros. are nearing a deal on a pilot production order for “Titans,” a one-hour drama based on younger characters in the WB-owned DC Comics universe.

Focusing on known names (at least to comicbook fans), the show would center on Dick Grayson, the former Robin who emerges from Batman’s shadow to become Nightwing and the leader of a fearless band of heroes who include Starfire and Raven. Scribes Akiva Goldsman (“Batman Forever”) and Marc Haimes (“The Last Word”) will serve as exec producer and co-exec producer, respectively, with Warner Horizon Television producing.

Shows based on comicbook characters are en vogue right now, given the popularity of AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD” and the CW’s “Arrow.” Three other shows based on DC characters are launching this fall: “The Flash” on the CW, “Constantine” on NBC and “Gotham” on Fox. This deal is somewhat apropos, though, as DC Comics has a character named TNT. Known for his — ahem — explosive personality traits and radioactive powers, the character was popular after World War II.
They lost me at Akiva Goldsman....
Old 09-11-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
re: Titans -- coming to DC Universe

I'd be interested in checking it out if its done right. I think DC's tv division is better than their film division at the moment with Arrow and The Flash and even [BConstantine[/B] could be okay (I think Gotham looks iffy at this point though). My only thing is I don't know about it being on TNT.
Old 09-11-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I have no idea what to expect from a network like TNT regarding superheroes. Will there be costumes? If anyone has seen Akiva Goldsman's work, it's usually stylish nonsense that doesn't worry greatly about internal narrative logic. A strong sense of visual imagination but not much else.
Old 09-11-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

All those heroes seems like it would necessitate a hefty budget, no? I'd love to see this, but cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-11-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

On one hand, I'd love to see a show like this. On the other hand, we are reaching saturation point for DC TV shows. Not sure how much more we can tolerate.
Old 09-11-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm down since Cartoon Network screwed the pooch with Young Justice.
Old 09-11-14, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love a live-action Teen Titans based on the Wolfman and Perez era with Nightwing, Starfire, etc, but I seriously doubt that will happen. If this series does actually happen, it will more than likely be a more modern interpretation such as the New 52 Teen Titans.
Old 09-11-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I doubt they'd do Wolfman/Perez, if only because so many characters would be unavailable. I doubt they'd add Kid Flash and Wondergirl, who are in limbo right now, and Cyborg's in the Justice League. Heck, that animated Judas Contract still hasn't been made, right?

Unless they think the popularity of the cartoon series would draw people in... that's Robin, Starfire, Raven, Cyborg and Beast Boy.
Old 09-12-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I;m cautiously optimistic as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

This may be a silly question, but why aren't there shows for major characters in their prime?

For example, do studios think if we had an actual Batman weekly procedural instead of Gotham we wouldn't go see Dawn of Justice?
Old 09-12-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Heck, that animated Judas Contract still hasn't been made, right?
They did a truncated version of it in season 2.
Old 09-12-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

It always annoys me that Judas Contract was included in the original announcement of the DC animated movies.
Old 09-12-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not opposed to the idea but I am opposed to a writer like Akiva Goldsman being involved with the show's creative direction.
Old 09-12-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I;m cautiously optimistic as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

This may be a silly question, but why aren't there shows for major characters in their prime?

For example, do studios think if we had an actual Batman weekly procedural instead of Gotham we wouldn't go see Dawn of Justice?
Because you don't waste your heavy hitters for a TV series when you can be making millions of dollars from them in movies. The only reason Lois and Clark and Smallville came about was because they couldn't get a new Superman off the ground and basically just said F it.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this, I just hope that TNT has the budget to do it justice.
Old 02-02-15, 01:27 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

A leaked script from TNT’s Titans series has potentially revealed the lineup for the DC Comics television adaptation of the Teen Titans franchise.

Heading the team, unsurprisingly, will be Dick Grayson. According to the pilot’s script, Dick will begin the series as Robin following a recent split with Batman, but will eventually grow into the mantle of Nightwing as he did in the comics. Dick will set up the Titans’ shop in Boston, which is a departure from the Titans’ New York City roots.

Joining Dick from Gotham City will be Barbara Gordon. In this version, Barbara will be Oracle in everything but the name. According to Nerdist’s report on the script, Barbara will be in a wheel-chair and operate as the Titan’s information source, but she will not officially go by the Oracle moniker. This will be Barbara’s first time as a member of the Titans in any medium.

Next are Raven and Starfire, who have been anchoring member of the Titans since Marv Wolfman’s and George Perez’s New Teen Titans series. According to the script, Raven will carry the Rachel Roth alter-ego that Geoff Johns introduced during his run on the Teen Titans. The script didn’t provide any illuminating details on Starfire, other than that she wouldn’t appear until the Pilot’s finale.

Finally, Hawk and Dove will round out the Titans’ initial roster. Hawk will be Hank Hall and Dove will be Dawn Granger, the post-Crisis on Infinite Earths version. The report says that Hawk and Dove will be romantically involved with one another, as they were in the comics series.

Missing from the roster were other Titans stalwarts Beast Boy and Cyborg. While it's possible that they could join the series eventually, according to the report, their inclusion remains uncertain at this point. Beast Boy seems like an eventual possibility, but it's likely that Cyborg will remain off the table. Warner Bros. probably won't want contrasting versions between a television Cyborg and the big screen version that will appear in Zack Snyder's Justice League and solo Cyborg film.
http://comicbook.com/2015/02/02/tita...ster-revealed/
Old 02-02-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Man, Hawk and Dove? That would be awesome (and cheap to do as far as powers go). Urgh, can't get my hopes up yet, though.
Old 02-02-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So we apparently have:
- Nightwing
- Oracle (INO)
- Starfire
- Raven
- Hawk
- Dove

A female-dominated Titans team? Interesting...
Old 02-02-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why wouldn't they use Oracle as her codename? That has to be something petty by the movie division or this is a series that will follow the codenames-are-silly maxim of loose Hollywood adaptations from comic book material.
Old 02-02-15, 03:02 PM

Too bad this couldn't cross over with the Arrow/Flash-verse.
Old 02-02-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Why wouldn't they use Oracle as her codename? That has to be something petty by the movie division or this is a series that will follow the codenames-are-silly maxim of loose Hollywood adaptations from comic book material.
Wonder if it's simply a matter of Barbara's full name having at least a little bit more recognition.
Old 05-13-15, 02:21 PM

Recently installed TNT president Kevin Reilly knows he has something special in a live-action adaptation of the Teen Titans superhero property, and as such, patience is a virtue.

Announced back in September, not much has been officially confirmed about the pilot, which follows a group of young superheroes led by Dick Grayson aka Batman’s sidekick Robin, who is fated to become Nightwing. Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) penned the pilot with Marc Haimes, and Nerdist.com has reported that the titular team will also include Barbara Gordon, Hawk/Hank Hall and Dove/Dawn Granger, Raven/Rachel Roth and the alien princess Starfire.

Asked for a status report on the project, Reilly told TVLine at TNT’s Upfronts luncheon, “Akiva’s been very busy doing some other things,” but it’s his hope that “maybe this summer” they will lock casting and ramp up production.

After all, the small screen hardly has been lacking for comic books-based fare. So there is a concerted effort for TNT to take its time and make this series unique.

“I sat down with Akiva and said — and he ultimately agreed — that the [TV] landscape right now is well-serviced on the superhero front. So what space is this going to inhabit?” Reilly related. “And really what he wants to do is be very true” to the source material.

As Reilly noted, Teen Titans “was a groundbreaking property when it first started,” so there is an opportunity here to set the TNT pilot — to either be titled Titans or Blackbirds, based on which rumor you subscribe to — apart from the ever-growing superhero pack. “There were consequences to things that happened; it wasn’t somebody died and they moved on. There was the first superhero to be an addict [in Roy Harper’s Speedy]. It’s a coming-of-age story for Robin, who feels like Batman has betrayed him.”

Once the project ultimately comes to fruition, Reilly says, “I think it’s going to end up being a very, very interesting offering. I think it’s going to be excellent.”
http://tvline.com/2015/05/13/tnt-tit...er-2015-pilot/
Old 01-07-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

JANUARY 07, 2016 10:16am PT by Kate Stanhope
TNT Passes on DC Comics Superhero Drama 'Titans'

The world of superheroes on the small screen won't be expanding on TNT.

In his first executive session as the president of TNT and TBS, Kevin Reilly revealed at Television Critics Association winter press tour that the former has passed on drama Titans, about superheroes-to-be.

"We just decided it wasn’t quite where we wanted to go," he said.

The project, from Warner Horizon Television and DC Comics, also had high-profile names attached in Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) and Marc Haimes.

Based on characters from DC Comics, Titans revolves around a group of young superheroes-to-be who are recruited from every corner of the DC universe. The action-themed drama centers on Dick Grayson, who emerges from the shadow of Batman to become Nightwing, the leader of a fearless band of new superheroes including Starfire, Raven and more. The show is described as a dramatic adventure series that will explore and celebrate one of the most popular comic book titles ever.

The team of teen superheroes first appeared in a 1964 issue of The Brave and the Bold as a "Junior Justice League" featuring Robin (aka Dick Grayson), Kid Flash (Wally West) and Aqualad (Garth). They were later joined by Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) and Green Arrow's sidekick, Speedy (Roy Harper). The series was later revived in 1980 and relaunched as The New Teen Titans, aging the characters to young adults.

The new iteration of Titans neared a pilot order at TNT in September 2014, several months before Reilly took over at the beginning of January. However, Reilly made it clear at press tour that he hopes to take TNT in a drastically new direction with the upcoming end of Rizzoli & Isles and new series Animal Kingdom and Good Behavior.

Superhero series have proved successful for broadcast series such as The CW (The Flash, Arrow and the upcoming Legends of Tomorrow), Fox (Gotham), ABC (Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter). FX next plans to tackle the genre with the new project Legion from Fargo's Noah Hawley.
Old 01-07-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I'm actually happy with this. I'm not a fan of TNT.
Old 01-07-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I know CW doesn't want to be known only for DC properties, but seems like Titans would fit in with Arrow, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. However, I remember reading that there is interest in making a Teen Titans live action movie instead of a Cyborg solo pic (with the character leading the team).
Old 01-08-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm actually happy with this. I'm not a fan of TNT.
I totally concur about TNT. Whatever audience they are aiming for these days is not smart material.

A superhero team show would have been expensive for TNT and fans would relentlessly bitch why Batman never shows up to help out Dick Grayson.
Old 01-08-16, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Good. Hopefully the rumor of the Cyborg film becoming titans is true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.