Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

2014 Emmy Discussion Thread - 8/25/14 (NBC)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2014 Emmy Discussion Thread - 8/25/14 (NBC)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: 2014 Emmy Discussion Thread - 8/25/14 (NBC)

Originally Posted by VHS?
That bit was sad. I could almost see hurt in Williams eyes, staring at me. Almost seems not real that he's gone.
2014 lost a lot of greatness. Some of which I had totally forgot about.
agreed. I couldn't believe the name after name they kept listing. It was a sad one for sure.
Old 08-25-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anything shot on 35mm getting an award is frankly OK . Alas, Mad Men no longer is .

Must be a great time to be AMC, they have two top front-runners at the Emmys and have been basking in critical acclaim for them, and they have a top-rated show that's the flashpoint for a billion-dollar franchise.

Not surprised to hear about Cranston, he was predicted as the obvious choice nearly everywhere.

Are the wins for OITNB the first won by a TV show which wasn't on TV, or no?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-25-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Anything shot on 35mm getting an award is frankly OK . Alas, Mad Men no longer is .

Must be a great time to be AMC, they have two top front-runners at the Emmys and have been basking in critical acclaim for them, and they have a top-rated show that's the flashpoint for a billion-dollar franchise.

Not surprised to hear about Cranston, he was predicted as the obvious choice nearly everywhere.

Are the wins for OITNB the first won by a TV show which wasn't on TV, or no?

I think House of Cards won some awards last year.
Old 08-25-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Except that one of those two is now over and the other will be shortly. And from all accounts, it's kind of a fluke for AMC. Apparently, it is a poorly run network who kind of fell ass backward into all of these shows.
Old 08-25-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah once Mad Men is done AMC won't have any Emmy contenders any more. And The Walking Dead is there only hit but I have a hunch it will just go on for another decade or so until ratings fizzle.
Old 08-25-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

I was at my parents tonight and every time they would announce the nominees he was like "what channel is that on, I have never even heard of that." Network TV is dead.
Old 08-26-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I was at my parents tonight and every time they would announce the nominees he was like "what channel is that on, I have never even heard of that." Network TV is dead.
What did the Drama nominees have to do with Network TV?

I wanted McConaugh to win, but can't fault them for picking Cranston. Again.
Thought I might have been watching last years Emmy by mistake because the winners were pretty much all the same, or at least previous winners. Honor some new blood next year -- and give the goddam award to Hamm for once!

Billy Bob was ROBBED! Look, I love Sherlock as much as the next guy, but Thornton's work on Fargo was astonishing. I thought he was a lock.
Old 08-26-14, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 2014 Emmy Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Gunde
Fuck Jim Parsons and Modern Family. Seriously, fuck them. No wait, fuck the Emmy voters!
Yeah, I'm just gonna quote myself!
Old 08-26-14, 01:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Okay, putting Sofia Vergara on a rotating pedestal while the CEO of the academy was talking was funny. I like that they show the individual acting clips, and Aaron Paul's was the only one that was convincing.
Nonsense. Tyrion (Dinklage) ripping King's Landing a new one on Game of Thrones was one of this year's best moments.

--
Old 08-26-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I'm a big Mad Men fan - or at least I was for the first 4 seasons - and I'm thinking that next year will finally be the year for Hamm and Moss (but probably not Hendricks). It'll be the last year of the show, and the Emmys are nothing if sentimental. The show's won 15 Emmys and 4 Golden Globes - I expect it'll go out with a bang.

Also, The Goldbergs is a much better show than Modern Family.
Old 08-26-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Jon Hamm and Mad Men will clean up next year. They always reward the shows that have ended.

I was hoping McConaghuey and Dinklage would have won their respective awards but Cranston and Paul did great jobs as well and deserved their awards.

I'm still confused as to how Modern Family won. Then again, so did Jim Parsons. So maybe the academy really doesn't watch the other comedy shows.
Old 08-26-14, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Depends on the episodes they submitted. They only need to submit 6 episodes, and there were six strong episodes of Modern Family this season (The old Man and the Tree, Las Vegas, Message Received at least come to mind). I think they do something stupid like split them into three pairs and send them out. This works in the favor of shows like Modern Family that is ridiculously inconsistent.

The Goldbergs is cute but rarely funny (imo at least).

BEST COMEDY SERIES:

"The Big Bang Theory"
DVD A - "The Proton Transmogrification" & "The Status Quo Combustion"
DVD B - "The Scavenger Vortex" & "The Romance Resonance"
DVD C - "The Convention Conundrum" & "The Locomotive Manipulation"

"Louie"
DVD A - "Back" & "Elevator 6"
DVD B - "Pamela 2" & "Pamela 3"
DVD C - "In the Woods 1" & "In the Woods 2"

"Modern Family"
DVD A - "First Days" & "The Wedding, Part 2"
DVD B - "Three Dinners" & "Las Vegas"
DVD C - "Old Man and the Tree" & "Under Pressure"

"Orange is the New Black"
DVD A - "Tit Punch" & "The Chickening"
DVD B - "WAC Pack" & "xxxxsgiving"
DVD C - "Tall Men With Feelings" & "Can't Fix Crazy"

"Silicon Valley"
DVD A - "Minimum Viable Product" & "The Cap Table"
DVD B - "Signaling Risk" & "Third Party Insourcing"
DVD C - "Proof of Concept" & "Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency"

"Veep"
DVD A - "Some New Beginnings" & "The Choice"
DVD B - "Alicia" & "Fishing"
DVD C - "Special Relationship" & "Debate"

BEST DRAMA SERIES:

"Breaking Bad"
DVD A - "Confessions" & "Rabid Dog"
DVD B - "To'hajiilee" & "Ozymandias"
DVD C - "Granite State" & "Felina"

"Downton Abbey"
DVD A - "Episode 4.1" (two hours)
DVD B - "Episode 4.2" & "Episode 4.3"
DVD C - "Episode 4.8" (two hours)

"Game of Thrones"
DVD A - "The Lion and the Rose" & "Breaker of Chains"
DVD B - "First of His Name" & "The Laws and God and Man"
DVD C - "The Watchers on the Wall" & "The Children"

"House of Cards"
DVD A - "Chapter 14" & "Chapter 15"
DVD B - "Chapter 16" & "Chapter 17"
DVD C - "Chapter 22" & "Chapter 26"

"Mad Men"
DVD A - "Time Zones" & "A Day's Work"
DVD B - "Field Trip" & "The Monolith"
DVD C - "The Srategy" & "Waterloo"

"True Detective"
DVD A - "The Long Bright Dark" & "Seeing Things"
DVD B - "The Locked Room" & "Who Goes There"
DVD C - "Secret Fate of All Life" & "After You've Gone"

All the Modern Family episodes submitted outside of Wedding Pt 2 were pretty strong. Wedding Pt 2 was terrible. Anyway, every member gets one of those DVDs from each show and bases their vote on those two episodes, or something like that.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-26-14 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Nonsense. Tyrion (Dinklage) ripping King's Landing a new one on Game of Thrones was one of this year's best moments.

--
I agree, while I love Aaron Paul and his character, I felt he really didn't do much last season to earn it. I thought Dean Norris was the better supporting actor for that last season. And Dinklage absolutely killed it last year during the trial.
Old 08-26-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Watching the awards you have to wonder if they actually watched most of the shows. At least one note Danes did not win again. Bill Bob definitely should have as should have Allison. At least Fargo won.
Old 08-26-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Do they actually give out DVDs for people to watch? So that means they're not even watching high definition versions of the shows?
Old 08-26-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
I agree, while I love Aaron Paul and his character, I felt he really didn't do much last season to earn it. I thought Dean Norris was the better supporting actor for that last season. And Dinklage absolutely killed it last year during the trial.
Couldn't disagree more. Aaron Paul was absolutely fantastic in the last 8 episodes.
Old 08-26-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Depends on the episodes they submitted. They only need to submit 6 episodes, and there were six strong episodes of Modern Family this season (The old Man and the Tree, Las Vegas, Message Received at least come to mind). I think they do something stupid like split them into three pairs and send them out. This works in the favor of shows like Modern Family that is ridiculously inconsistent.
I didn't know that they only needed to submit 6 episodes. Knowing that, it does make some sense that Modern Family would win. But it seems like a stupid system. It doesn't make sense that only 6 episodes in a 20+ season need to be good, especially for comedies.
Old 08-26-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Watching the awards you have to wonder if they actually watched most of the shows. At least one note Danes did not win again. Bill Bob definitely should have as should have Allison. At least Fargo won.
I thought it was fairly common knowledge that the voters didn't actually watch all of these shows.
Old 08-26-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Of the 12 major, non-technical awards that can repeat year-after-year (Comedy Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress; Drama Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Musical or Variety Program, Reality Contest Program) -- Eight of them (Modern Family, Breaking Bad, Colbert Report, Amazing Race, Julia Louise Dreyfuss, Jim Parsons, Julianna Margulies, Anna Gunn) won last year (ten consecutive wins for TAR, actually); Ty Burell had won the year before and Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston had won multiple times before. Only Allison Janney was actually a "new" winner and she'd won four times in the Supporting Actress Drama category for The West Wing.

Bottom line : The Emmy voters vote for what they know.
Old 08-26-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I didn't know that they only needed to submit 6 episodes. Knowing that, it does make some sense that Modern Family would win. But it seems like a stupid system. It doesn't make sense that only 6 episodes in a 20+ season need to be good, especially for comedies.
It is a silly system. Requiring people watch 50 hours of TV for one category to vote would result in no votes. However, this whole blind vote with 2 episodes of each show randomly picked from 6 is a bit odd too.
Old 08-26-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Of the 12 major, non-technical awards that can repeat year-after-year (Comedy Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress; Drama Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Musical or Variety Program, Reality Contest Program) -- Eight of them (Modern Family, Breaking Bad, Colbert Report, Amazing Race, Julia Louise Dreyfuss, Jim Parsons, Julianna Margulies, Anna Gunn) won last year (ten consecutive wins for TAR, actually); Ty Burell had won the year before and Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston had won multiple times before. Only Allison Janney was actually a "new" winner and she'd won four times in the Supporting Actress Drama category for The West Wing.

Bottom line : The Emmy voters vote for what they know.
TAR lost to Top Chef in 2010 in the Outstanding Reality Competition Category and the Voice in 2013. It has won every other year since the category started in 2003. I think it is definitely the most exciting program in this category so I am happy it wins so many times.
Old 08-26-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

The Amazing Race has been awful for years. If there was ever a show that benefited from lazy voters picking the same thing year after year it is that one is the best example.
Old 08-26-14, 05:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

so the BReaking bad show yet again, oh well it will be the last