DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   True Blood (S7E03) -- "Fire in the Hole" -- 7/06/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621005-true-blood-s7e03-fire-hole-7-06-14-a.html)

DJariya 07-06-14 11:13 AM

True Blood (S7E03) -- "Fire in the Hole" -- 7/06/14

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...86894125_n.jpg

Sookie (Anna Paquin) hatches a dangerous plan to take down the H-Vamps, even as Vince (Brett Rickaby) and his armed vigilantes pose an equally serious threat. Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) gets high with James (Nathan Parsons); Jason (Ryan Kwanten) eyes a family future with Violet (Karolina Wydra); Willa (Amelia Rose Blaire) is forced to find a new place to stay; Sarah Newlin (Anna Camp) sheds her past. Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) offers Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) a compelling reason to return to Louisiana - and be the vampire he used to be.

Written by Brian Buckner; directed by Lee Rose.

Episode 3 of 10

Previous Threads:

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-29-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-22-14-a.html

mwbmis 07-06-14 09:30 PM

Re: True Blood (S7E03) -- "Fire in the Hole" -- 7/06/14

I thought some of the previews seem to foretell that "shocking conclusion" was coming early on in the season.

If Sylvie was that important to Eric, then wouldn't we have heard of her by now.

I'll never understand why Anna Camp, who did Equus on Broadway with Harry Potter, has been so prudish on this show.

The flashbacks continue to be mostly tedious.

onebyone 07-06-14 09:45 PM

Enjoyed the Eric & Pam scenes for the most part, everything else was horrible.

Can't believe I had to suffer through Bill & Sookie in the woods, talking about Six Flags. Does this show hate me?

Alcide and Tara are dead, Willa and Violet and Lettie Mae live on. This show is making curious bad bad decisions.

majorjoe23 07-06-14 10:38 PM

The offer to turn Alcide made me curious if a werewolf-turned-vampire would retain its werewolf abilities.

johnnysd 07-06-14 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12160568)
I
I'll never understand why Anna Camp, who did Equus on Broadway with Harry Potter, has been so prudish on this show.

The flashbacks continue to be mostly tedious.

TV nudity lives forever.

I thought this episode, while not great was a pretty big step up from the first two. Of course, those two were two of the worst episodes of TV I have seen.

windom 07-06-14 11:33 PM

So are we just supposed to leave it up to our imaginations as to how Eric survived being burned up?

Blaster1 07-06-14 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12160637)
So are we just supposed to leave it up to our imaginations as to how Eric survived being burned up?

It was revealed in a magazine interview with the actor that
Spoiler:
being in the ice saved him

This episode by the end seemed to be getting things back on a better track. It desperately needed a big bad villain like Sarah Newlin to root against. Shocked at the Alcide death. I didn't think this show had the balls to kill him.

mwbmis 07-07-14 12:06 AM

I read an interview with Joe Manganiello, and he figured this was coming as soon as Sookie hooked up with Alcide at the end of last year. He figured they'd have to resolve Bill/Sookie/Eric in some way, and if Sookie dumped Alcide then the fans would be pissed at her.

For the record, he also was confused by Alcide's turning into a raging asshole for most of season six. It didn't make any sense to him either. He sounded pretty irritated by it, b/c it's not what he thought they had planned for his charcter.

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 12160632)
TV nudity lives forever.

Yeah, but one of the Equus' scenes is already on the internet.

bluesix 07-07-14 12:10 AM

I like the fact that they are moving the plot forward quickly while still attempting to provide closure but at this point I feel like they are just shitting all over Charlaine Harris and the characters she created.

That had to be most hamhanded 20 second scene of a major character's death I've ever seen. The director deserves to be fired. That should have been done so much better with 3 different story threads coming together. Just horrible.

Then again, Tara's death was completely wasted. Why bother killing off the characters if you aren't going to milk the drama out of it?

On the plus side, I do like how they are bringing the story full circle back to how Eric and Pam came to Bon Temps and how True Blood ended up starting. Hopefully they spend more time on that for the rest of the season and less on ruining any goodwill we had left towards spending 7 years with this show.

starseed1981 07-07-14 12:18 AM

This episode was a major improvement over the first two. But the overall story is confusing to me. Who or what is the villain this year???

Josh-da-man 07-07-14 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12160607)
The offer to turn Alcide made me curious if a werewolf-turned-vampire would retain its werewolf abilities.

Yeah, but that would mean they might actually have to put some though into a storyline and give Alcide something interesting to do. It might have been funny to have Bill vamp Alcide, which would make him subservient to him.

Really too bad that they've not only killed off Tara and Alcide, but they gave them really shitty deaths.

Josh-da-man 07-07-14 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone (Post 12160577)

Can't believe I had to suffer through Bill & Sookie in the woods, talking about Six Flags. Does this show hate me?

Yes, it does.

Pretty obvious that they're going to have Bill and Sookie hooking up before the end. If the conversation in the car about Bill being a whole new vampire wasn't a big enough clue, having Alcide get killed pretty much seals it.

One bright side to all of this is that people will stop saying that Dexter had the worst final season ever. (I won't definitively claim that Dexter had the worst ending, ever, but it's definitely in contention.)

johnnysd 07-07-14 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12160651)

Yeah, but one of the Equus' scenes is already on the internet.

Dark and you see more of Harry Potter's willy than anything coupled with the fact he can't act for shit.

johnnysd 07-07-14 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12160658)
Yes, it does.

Pretty obvious that they're going to have Bill and Sookie hooking up before the end. If the conversation in the car about Bill being a whole new vampire wasn't a big enough clue, having Alcide get killed pretty much seals it.

One bright side to all of this is that people will stop saying that Dexter had the worst final season ever. (I won't definitively claim that Dexter had the worst ending, ever, but it's definitely in contention.)

It could be one of the worst seasons ever, but the finale could still be decent. Personally I think Sookie should have been shot. She is so annoying. Everything has to be about her. She needs a bullet.

Cellar Door 07-07-14 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluesix (Post 12160652)
That had to be most hamhanded 20 second scene of a major character's death I've ever seen. The director deserves to be fired. That should have been done so much better with 3 different story threads coming together. Just horrible.

Then again, Tara's death was completely wasted. Why bother killing off the characters if you aren't going to milk the drama out of it?

It's certainly a big contrast to last season, when they spent an ENTIRE FUCKING EPISODE on dumbass, third-string-character Terry's funeral. That episode was worse than even the first two eps of this season.

Josh-da-man 07-07-14 01:59 AM

Terry had a really stupid death, too.

And they milked that thing like a fucking cow, too.

Shannon Nutt 07-07-14 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12160656)
This episode was a major improvement over the first two. But the overall story is confusing to me. Who or what is the villain this year???

I posted this in the episode thread for the premiere this year, but there is no villain this year - the producers didn't want a "big bad". Basically the Hep-V virus is the 'bad guy."

windom 07-07-14 01:40 PM

I want to see Jason make this awkward phone call: "Hi, Hoyt. I hate to tell you that your mom's dead. My new vampire girlfriend ripped her heart out."

lukewin 07-07-14 01:52 PM

Probably should've finished watching the episode before I read thru the thread. About 45 mins in. Finding out Alcide dies was shocking to read. Not sure if it was more shocking to read, or if I would've been shocked on screen. Still hasn't happened yet.

EDIT: Actually glad I read the thread before finishing the episode. Was more shocking to read, bc the way they killed him sucked.

starseed1981 07-07-14 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12160822)
I posted this in the episode thread for the premiere this year, but there is no villain this year - the producers didn't want a "big bad". Basically the Hep-V virus is the 'bad guy."

Seriously? That is idiotic.

majorjoe23 07-07-14 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12161044)
I want to see Jason make this awkward phone call: "Hi, Hoyt. I hate to tell you that your mom's dead. My new vampire girlfriend ripped her heart out after she shot your vampire ex-girlfriend."

Fixed, just to make it more awkward.

Deftones 07-07-14 03:17 PM

this show is so laughably bad now. there really wasn't even much redeeming about this episode. what did the yakuza corporation guys want sara newlin? that went over my head.

mwbmis 07-07-14 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12161173)
what did the yakuza corporation guys want sara newlin? that went over my head.

I think they were behind True Blood, and she really messed with that last year.

johnnysd 07-07-14 03:23 PM

Outside of Eric and Pam. Violet has been the best part of the show which is pretty sad.

superdeluxe 07-07-14 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12160822)

Looks like the Japanese corporation is the big bad?

Anyways, Man, thought Alcide would go out better after 5-6 years then just being shot and killed by a couple of scrubs.