DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620864-leftovers-s1e01-new-hbo-drama-pilot-6-29-14-a.html)

movieking 07-07-14 08:58 AM

Re: The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

Finally got around to watching this, and had just finished the novel a day or two before, so it was pretty fresh in my mind. The first thing that I noticed was that Kevin Garvey is much more darker than in the book. The book portrays him as exceedingly positive, whereas in this episode, he seemed to be as bleak as everyone else. The other thing that jumped out at me was that a lot of the roles seemed to be miscast. I don't really buy Brenneman in her role (plus she's 7 years older than Theroux, so that kind of stood out to me). The daughter and her friend don't really line up with how I imagined them, but the son is probably the furthest off what I had imagined (ditto for Wayne). Not a big deal, but it may take me a while to start buying into their characters.

Raul3 07-07-14 08:57 PM

Re: The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

They (the writers of the show) mentioned in a interview that HBO asked them to change Kevin Garvey to be like that. Why? Because it's HBO.

I don't like that change.

ikiilecru371 07-16-14 11:53 PM

Flag on the right arm of the cop facing wrong way

Does anyone else take issue with the fact that the flag on the right arm of the policeman in the first episode (I haven't watched any others) is facing the wrong direction? Complete disrespect for the flag of our great country. On any moving object, people included, the stars must face forward at all times. Complete disgrace. I won't even download this show for free. HBO should be ashamed.

-iki ile cru

MikahC 07-17-14 02:22 AM

Re: Flag on the right arm of the cop facing wrong way

Originally Posted by ikiilecru371 (Post 12171105)
Does anyone else take issue with the fact that the flag on the right arm of the policeman in the first episode (I haven't watched any others) is facing the wrong direction? Complete disrespect for the flag of our great country. On any moving object, people included, the stars must face forward at all times. Complete disgrace. I won't even download this show for free. HBO should be ashamed.

Pic of the flag, spoilered for size.

Cellar Door 07-17-14 04:43 AM

Re: Flag on the right arm of the cop facing wrong way

Originally Posted by ikiilecru371 (Post 12171105)

Hopefully you're joking. If not, you need to take the stick (flagpole?) out of your ass.

The "stars forward" is a military tradition that is also followed by many--but not all--law enforcement and civilian organizations.

Some police uniforms do indeed put the stars on the observer's left, no matter which side of the uniform you look at. The Boy Scouts appear to do this as well.

I know the idea is that the flag should always be "moving forward, never retreat," etc., and that makes sense as a symbolic gesture for the military, but if someone else wears the flag the other way it doesn't mean they're being disrespectful. It's not like they're defacing it or anything. And in most other contexts the stars are usually on the observer's left, so it looks more "correct" to most of us that way.

It is not a sign of disrespect.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/wp-...lag-sleeve.jpg