DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620864-leftovers-s1e01-new-hbo-drama-pilot-6-29-14-a.html)

Coral 07-03-14 05:24 AM

Re: The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12157558)
I understand they're not going to address the mystery of it. But then why present that mystery at all?

That's the basis of the show that puts these people and the town in the situation they're in. Otherwise it'd be just another show about people in a small town.

Does knowing why it happened make a real difference to the story? I read the book and it didn't matter - because it's not about WHY it happened, it's about what happens afterwards. If they knew what happened then the people are directed one way - that it's either a religious event or not... and that eliminates the confusion and desperation of these people and limits all the different reactions.

NOT knowing why IS a big part of the story.

actionjackson29 07-03-14 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12157325)
I'd think it has to be a fairly small number to avoid social calamity. 25% go away and society collapses, we already have that with the walking dead. 3 or 4% might have made it a little better, but 2% is enough that virtually everybody who isn't a shut-in is effected or knows someone who disappeared. Certainly it's a big enough number to make almost anyone question science, religion, their existence or whatever..

There's not enough mayhem in this show for me. I wanted to see pissed true believers, people searching for answers, people doing this they would never have done before because nothing matters anymore. And the ones that try to keep it together because maybe this life is all there is.

slop101 07-03-14 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 12157621)

I guess that makes sense. But still, they need to make the characters and their stories far more compelling so we can focus on them instead of the mystery. I think people are focusing on the mystery because there's nothing else to really latch on to, character wise.

And 2% just isn't enough to make what their going through believable. Maybe 5% or 6% would be.

Coral 07-03-14 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12157687)
I guess that makes sense. But still, they need to make the characters and their stories far more compelling so we can focus on them instead of the mystery. I think people are focusing on the mystery because there's nothing else to really latch on to, character wise.

This is my concern as well. While reading the book I thought that it could be turned into a movie... or a mini-series. However, I'm not sure how well this will work as an actual regular series.

Based on the pilot it just sounds like they're going to drag out the book across however many episodes this show will have in total. It doesn't feel like there's enough to last more than the 10 episodes of Season 1. Maybe it'll delve away from the book and create other storylines, etc... but I'm still not sure what they can do that will still tie in to the concept of the show.

Groucho 07-03-14 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 12157541)
You guys don't get it. Talking about the 2%.

The show, and the book, would never explain why that happened. They are not about that.

You're applying your outside knowledge to the show, which isn't how most people are going to approach it. Most are going to watch it blind, and they're going to expect answers.

What's next? A show about Dracula that never shows Dracula (or even mentions his name)? How about a Dorian Gray show that never shows the painting?

dex14 07-03-14 10:14 AM

That's the basis of the show that puts these people and the town in the situation they're in. Otherwise it'd be just another show about people in a small town.

Does knowing why it happened make a real difference to the story? I read the book and it didn't matter - because it's not about WHY it happened, it's about what happens afterwards. If they knew what happened then the people are directed one way - that it's either a religious event or not... and that eliminates the confusion and desperation of these people and limits all the different reactions.

That's a good point and well put. The problem is in this day and age... how does that make a good television show? It may have made for a fine book. But an average viewer is probably not going to go for that. Atleast for multiple seasons...

Neil M. 07-03-14 12:04 PM

It's too early to tell where this show is going. I think it's safe to say that if this show has a successful first season, it's going to have to expand beyond the book. I can't imagine Lindelof getting involved with another show with a huge central mystery unless he had some ideas for solving the mystery. When he deleted his twitter account, people thought that was a reaction to all of the criticism to Lost, but it was just a reference to this show. I think, in his mind, he's going to attempt to redeem himself but the question is will audiences give him a second chance?

dex14 07-03-14 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 12157918)
It's too early to tell where this show is going. I think it's safe to say that if this show has a successful first season, it's going to have to expand beyond the book. I can't imagine Lindelof getting involved with another show with a huge central mystery unless he had some ideas for solving the mystery. When he deleted his twitter account, people thought that was a reaction to all of the criticism to Lost, but it was just a reference to this show. I think, in his mind, he's going to attempt to redeem himself but the question is will audiences give him a second chance?

He already said that that was the reason he wanted to do it... because there weren't answers.

“In a lot of ways, it was sort of a relief, to plug into something that was overt in saying this show is about living with this mystery, and a lack of an explanation,” Lindelof noted. “My feeling was, I embraced that, I found it fascinating.”

So... Lost... Prometheus...and this... ambiguous as fuck...in a way.

DJariya 07-03-14 12:15 PM

I wish Damon Lindelof didn't cancel his Twitter account. It would have been fun seeing all the comments he gets after an episode. I recall he deactivated it after he was getting alot of hate tweets.

He claims here that it was consuming him in an unhealthy way

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/09/da...tting-twitter/

Blaster1 07-03-14 04:30 PM

What was up with him hitting the animal(looked like it fell from the sky, since it wasn't in front of the car when it hit him) and then waking up on the floor? Is this going to be about aliens?

Shannon Nutt 07-03-14 04:46 PM

Book or TV show, I still think that's a cop out. There's a big difference between an ambiguous answer and no answers at all - and this show seems to be going towards the latter.

JTH182 07-03-14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 12157576)
I'm sure the show will at some point call it the Rapture and then boom!...it's been answered and explained.

But it's already been shown in the first show that it's not, since not all the people that are missing are ones that would qualify. That was the reason for the guy with the flyers saying the one lady beat her kids.

Bill Needle 07-03-14 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12155033)
In that case, the show has nothing going for it, as almost all the characters were unlikable and/or uninteresting. If the show is about the people, they fucked up since I don't really care about any of them.

Also, it just felt like network TV show, like Under the Dome, or another show I'm forgetting from a couple years ago where people disappeared. And I don't mean they were like those network shows because of their mysteries, but because they felt homogenized and uninteresting like a lot of network TV shows, rather than a show on HBO.

It was shot like shit as well. Berg's a decent enough director, but that scene with the protesters and the riot was filmed and edited like shit. It was laughably amateurish.

I'll see if it gets better or more interesting, but they need to ramp up the writing.

That's what I thought as well, it reminded me strongly of a much less childish version of Under the Dome. But just watching a bunch of mopey characters week after week "dealing" while ignoring the one thing in the premise that was interesting enough to make me tune in doesn't bode well.

The disappeared celebrities was pretty funny.

bunkaroo 07-03-14 07:32 PM

Regardless of the pre-existing source material for this show, if Lindelof thought enough time had passed after Lost for him to try another show with a mystery as the Macguffin, he was wrong. He should try again in another 10 years when the stink of Lost's final season has lost some of its pungency.

Bill Needle 07-03-14 07:54 PM

Oh, and in a little statistical aside, more people would have died in the three years after the event than disappeared in the event...as in every three years a little more than 2% of the world's population passes away.

Raul3 07-03-14 09:12 PM

Well, yeah, they die, but of natural reasons, and they don't disappear while you are fucking them. I would be like the main character if that happened to me too. ;)

And yeah, this was only the pilot, but we already got 115 replies. And yes, the book has material for one, or one and a half at most, seasons.

I can see it, it was all a dream!

Groucho 07-03-14 09:15 PM

In reality, 98% of the population died and they're now in purgatory.

Cellar Door 07-03-14 10:03 PM

Maybe there's a donkey wheel in a basement in the cult compound...

thebunk 07-03-14 11:03 PM

Chalk me up as someone else who thought not only was it a very bad pilot but it did not even feel like an HBO show.

The teenage party with the spin the bottle app (as if that would ever be on the app store) was beyond over the top and it just felt like " ooh, look at all of the trouble teens burning and choking themselves". And the tear running down the daughters face was fucking priceless.

Also, the heavy handed musical cues were unlike anything I have ever seen. It felt like I was watching a very shitty episode of Friday Night Lights (which I like along with much of the music on that show). It just felt like a running joke or something by the mindle of the show.

Lastly the characters. My god, not one interesting character in the bunch and they all seemed to have their incredibly stupid moments, especially Theroux's character (apparently it is ok to shoot at dogs in the middle of the street at night). So dumb.

I am already looking forward to and am sad about the last season of Boardwalk Empire.

Gunde 07-04-14 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12158221)
But it's already been shown in the first show that it's not, since not all the people that are missing are ones that would qualify. That was the reason for the guy with the flyers saying the one lady beat her kids.

"God works in mysterious ways" is usually explanation enough in these cases. Maybe they DID qualify in his eyes for whatever reasons....

creekdipper 07-04-14 04:23 AM

Can't all of the disappeared just reappear suddenly with vague, unsettling memories of proctology exams?

mphtrilogy 07-04-14 11:18 AM

Why did brenneman go smoking white? Her kids didn't die, and her husband is alive...

JTH182 07-04-14 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 12158554)
"God works in mysterious ways" is usually explanation enough in these cases. Maybe they DID qualify in his eyes for whatever reasons....

Yeah, I forgot religion has an answer for everything and nothing at the same time.

bunkaroo 07-04-14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12158771)
Why did brenneman go smoking white? Her kids didn't die, and her husband is alive...

It's a mystery......!

Mike86 07-06-14 11:28 AM

Caught this last night and didn't really care for it at all. Fairly weak acting and just a sort of weak premise in general I thought. I don't think I'll continue watching.