DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620864-leftovers-s1e01-new-hbo-drama-pilot-6-29-14-a.html)

DJariya 06-29-14 05:35 AM

The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...54864286_n.png

Three years after millions of people - some 2% of the world's population - vanished into thin air, residents of Mapleton, NY weigh the pros and cons of a "Heroes Day" tribute to the local "Departed." Attempting to maintain a sense of normalcy in his strained community, police chief Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux) faces additional challenges at home with his daughter, Jill (Margaret Qualley), who's lost in a cloud of apathy with her friend Aimee (Emily Meade), and son, Tom (Chris Zylka), who has gravitated to a cult led by the charismatic Holy Wayne (Paterson Joseph). Also of concern is a silent, white-clad group of chain-smoking men and women called the Guilty Remnant, who team up in pairs to stake out people and places around town. As tension in Mapleton escalates, the lives of Laurie (Amy Brenneman), an unexpected member of the Guilty Remnant, and Meg (Liv Tyler), a recently engaged young woman, converge.

Written by Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta; directed by Peter Berg.

10 episode 1st season

The Pilot runs 75 minutes

Co-created by Damon Lindelof (Lost), who is also the showrunner.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mN3aHP3lMl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cellar Door 06-29-14 02:24 PM

Re: The Leftovers (S1E01) -- New HBO Drama -- "Pilot" -- 6/29/14

I've been looking forward to this.

BearFan 06-29-14 02:25 PM

So the 2% are the ones on the island?

DJariya 06-29-14 02:54 PM

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20829051,00.html

Entertainment Weekly gave the Pilot a B

bluetoast 06-29-14 04:04 PM

A friend got an early look, gave it a 7/10:

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/reviews/the_leftovers/

Mike86 06-29-14 05:56 PM

Not too sure about this. I like a lot of HBO's original shows but the previews for this don't look all that appealing to me. I might at least give the pilot a chance though.

creekdipper 06-29-14 07:23 PM

Maybe if Rust Cohle shows up & waxes philosophical about what's going on.

E Unit 06-29-14 09:55 PM

Unintriguing first episode. Didn't really care what was going on. But the chief of police's daughter and friend we're cute. The smokers in white reminded me of the bad guys in Waterworld.

scorpion 06-29-14 10:16 PM

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Looking forward to what is to come.

VHS? 06-29-14 10:20 PM

I was LOST

johnnysd 06-29-14 10:27 PM

I read the book, but couldn't make it through the pilot. Just better uses of my viewing time.

aktick 06-29-14 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by VHS? (Post 12153836)
I was LOST

:lol: Yeah it didn't make a lot of sense, but I still enjoyed it. Sort of reminded me of John From Cincinnati in that way.

bunkaroo 06-29-14 10:44 PM

Didn't do much for me. I'll give it a couple more episodes. Between this and True Blood being incredibly weak, looks like I may have a lot of free Sunday nights this summer.

auto 06-29-14 10:48 PM

What didn't make sense? Seemed relatively straightforward to me. Seems like they went out if their way to explain things (i.e. the dogs, smoking, etc.)

aktick 06-29-14 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12153853)
What didn't make sense? Seemed relatively straightforward to me. Seems like they went out if their way to explain things (i.e. the dogs, smoking, etc.)

I guess I meant there doesn't seem to be any clear direction.

Josh-da-man 06-30-14 03:04 AM

Needs more female nudity.

Josh-da-man 06-30-14 03:25 AM

I will say that this feels like the kind of project where we aren't going to get any answers or any kind of closure. We'll never find out why the 2% vanished, or where they went.

So it's the perfect vehicle for Lindelof.

DJariya 06-30-14 03:55 AM

rotfl. Anthony Bourdain, Shaq, Gary Busey, Bonnie Raitt and the Pope all victims of The Departure.

Peter Berg directed the Pilot. Anyone notice his cameo? He usually makes a cameo in everything he directs. He was one of the guards at that compound.

I enjoyed mainly because it's really different compared to the usual HBO drama. They definitely took some risks here, which may or may not resonate with viewers. Seems like it's Lost meets The Rapture.

Interesting reveal at the end that Brenneman's character is the wife of Garvey.

-eek- Holy shit, poor deer. That attack was pretty viscous.

BTW, Justin Theroux has a shit load of tattoos.

mcnabb 06-30-14 05:32 AM

I was intrigued by the pilot, so I will stick with the show for the time being.

Shannon Nutt 06-30-14 08:29 AM

I liked this enough to keep watching, but this is a show that can NEVER provide any answers, because - as far as we know - no one on Earth has any answers to provide.

The problem with this show is how long can it go before it just becomes dull? Assuming there are no more mysterious disappearances or events that occur or no hints that something bigger is going on, I don't know how long a series like this can survive.

I keep wondering if someone somewhere actually has video of one of the disappearances? That would be interesting. The baby didn't leave any clothes behind, so one has to assume the clothes went with the person.

I'm also not sure why Justin Theroux's character's family broke apart - since they didn't seem to lose any members? Was the wife maybe pregnant and her baby disappeared? That's why she joined the cult?

Liv Tyler's character was annoying. If I were her fiance, I'd say "good riddance!"

I see Scott Glenn is joining the cast next week...hopefully, it's a continuing role and not just one episode.

BearFan 06-30-14 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12153954)
rotfl. Anthony Bourdain, Shaq, Gary Busey, Bonnie Raitt and the Pope all victims of The Departure.

Peter Berg directed the Pilot. Anyone notice his cameo? He usually makes a cameo in everything he directs. He was one of the guards at that compound.

I enjoyed mainly because it's really different compared to the usual HBO drama. They definitely took some risks here, which may or may not resonate with viewers. Seems like it's Lost meets The Rapture.

Interesting reveal at the end that Brenneman's character is the wife of Garvey.

-eek- Holy shit, poor deer. That attack was pretty viscous.

BTW, Justin Theroux has a shit load of tattoos.

Seems like a setup for a tattoo flashback

aktick 06-30-14 08:51 AM

Yeah you'd think there would be tons of video of people vanishing.

dex14 06-30-14 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12153949)
I will say that this feels like the kind of project where we aren't going to get any answers or any kind of closure. We'll never find out why the 2% vanished, or where they went.

So it's the perfect vehicle for Lindelof.

Well... here are some Book Spoilers, and it's in true Lindelof fashion...

Spoiler:
There is one change Lindelof won’t be making from the book, though, and it’s one that may make detractors of his last show, “Lost,” tear their hair out in fury. In the novel, there are no answers to the Sudden Departure, as it’s called. It’s not even really the focus of the book, so much as the people of Mapleton — and beyond — who have been affected by a world with suddenly very different rules.

When the novel ends (a point the show will surely pass by season’s end), we know nothing more about the Sudden Departure than when we started. And it was those lack of answers that drew Lindelof to the show.

“In a lot of ways, it was sort of a relief, to plug into something that was overt in saying this show is about living with this mystery, and a lack of an explanation,” Lindelof noted. “My feeling was, I embraced that, I found it fascinating.”

Angry fans who think this may be just a case of going back to the island? Stay tuned, says Lindelof.

“There are probably people out there who will say, that’s wildly frustrating, I don’t want to subscribe to that,” Lindelof continued. “If they’re willing to watch the show and give it a chance, they’ll start to get interested in an entirely different set of things.

“The only thing to be interested in when you hear the idea is, where did those people go? Why them? Are they coming back? The more I read of the book, the less I cared, and hopefully the same will go of the show.”

Ketamine 06-30-14 09:01 AM

As a reader of the book I was really looking forward to this show. It fell a little flat for me.

There are some things not explained very well yet but maybe they will with time like why the family broke apart, the family dynamics, etc. With that said, the show had quite a few changes from the book so who knows where things will go.

Those thinking the show doesn't seem to be going anywhere are in part correct. This show is about how something major like "The Rapture" would affect people. It less about getting from point A to point B and more just a character study. If that's not what you want to see, then I guessing you will not like this show.

Will give more time before I pass judgement.

dex14 06-30-14 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12153853)

I guess I missed this? What was with the dogs...and the smoking?