Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Powers (Playstation Network) -- S: Sharlto Copely -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Powers (Playstation Network) -- S: Sharlto Copely -- Series Thread

It's so bizarre to me how "television" has changed so damn much where a video game console now offers exclusive content.
Old 03-10-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Off from work today, so I logged on to the PS4 and watched episode 1

I pretty much agree with Sepinwall's review upon initial impression.

The Pilot runs 50 minutes for anyone curious. Copley's a decent actor, but the 1st episode felt very cheap and small. Reminded me a low budget straight to video action movie that I rented on VHS back in the 90's. It feels like a low rent version of X-Men, Kickass and a cop procedural. But at least they are trying to make it more R rated in nature. Some of the scenes were really goofy.

The partner of Copley's character is awful. Pretty shocked by the poor production value considering the episode was directed by David Slade, who most of you know is the A director on Hannibal. But I guess Sony didn't give the production team much money since the audience for this is going to be really small.

Funny how I just saw Michelle Forbes last night on The Returned and she was also on this show as "Retro Girl"

Not sure when or if I will get to the rest. I have other shows on the DVR I'd like to knock out 1st over this.
Old 03-10-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

First three episodes are now available for Free to PS Plus subscribers through the PSN store.
Old 03-10-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
First episode is on Youtube on playstation channel. I liked it as a low rent super powers show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gt2znyyXt3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I tried a few minutes of it but it just didn't engage me. Is Sharlto Copley intentionally delivering a terrible performance? If so, why? He's a much better actor than this.
Old 03-10-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
PS+ is pretty much required at this point so I don't think the audience is as limited as you think.
I'm guessing you mean specifically for PS owners.
Since I'm not It isn't PS+ isn't required for me.

If this was on NF I'd give it a watch.
Old 03-11-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The partner of Copley's character is awful. Pretty shocked by the poor production value considering the episode was directed by David Slade, who most of you know is the A director on Hannibal. But I guess Sony didn't give the production team much money since the audience for this is going to be really small.
Shes really bad. Her and Copley have zero chemistry.
Old 03-12-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Yikes. The first episode was pretty terrible.

I convinced my wife to watch it with me and now she's holding it over my head. Now I'm going to have to watch some stupid rom-com to even the score.
Old 03-12-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Yikes. The first episode was pretty terrible.

I convinced my wife to watch it with me and now she's holding it over my head. Now I'm going to have to watch some stupid rom-com to even the score.
Hey, if it gets her in the mood and you score, I think you win either way.
Old 03-12-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As I don't have the PSN and the last video game systems I bought were the GCN and PS2, I guess I won't be watching this.
Old 03-13-15, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
As I don't have the PSN and the last video game systems I bought were the GCN and PS2, I guess I won't be watching this.
I'm sure it will be on Blu Ray at some point. Just like Microsoft did with their Halo series. At first it was just on XBOX Live and now its on Blu Ray.
Old 03-21-15, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Anyone watching this? The show is decent enough, but geez the editing is shit. You can see the cuts, constantly. You can notice the actors move slightly when they do the editing. This must be one of the sloppiest editing jobs I've ever seen in a show.
Old 03-21-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I saw the first episode, and found it interesting, even with the technical flaws. I have access to the next three eps, and will blow through them over the next few days.
Old 03-22-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm all caught up on the episodes and still liking the show. I consider it on the level of a better than average youtube show. The logic doesn't hold up in many actions like repeatedly sending in normal people to fight a super guy that is killing them with ease. Despite that I'm liking the show.
Old 03-24-15, 02:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the concept, really liked the source material. Watched the pilot, and it's decent. Absolutely needs a bigger budget. The effects are pretty bad. Copley is also miscast, but I like him enough as an actor to look past that for now.

Can't believe this didn't find its way to an actual TV network. Superheroes are hot, and cop procedurals are typically successful.
Old 03-26-15, 03:34 PM

On episode 3 now. I'm actually enjoying it for what it is. It's a little campy, a little overdramatic, not too-well-acted (apparently using a gravelly voice is all you need to act these days). But, the effects actually seem to be getting better, and i still love the concept.

2 complaints:

1) yes, i know you're not on a regular network, and you can be all edgy and curse every other word. But they're taking it overboard. I'm a few minutes into episode 3, and someone says "Thank fuck no one was inside". I am 35 years old and i have NEVER heard anyone, ever, use the phrase "Thank fuck".

2) Triphammer. i mean, i just... it's so god awful. Even if there were legal reasons they couldn't use the comic costume because it's too similar to iron man (first screenshot), there were literally a billion other things they could have done. it's laughably bad.

Comic version:

TV version:

Old 04-21-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Powers (Playstation Network) -- S: Sharlto Copely -- Series Thread

Boy, it sure seems like nobody is talking about this show at all. is it that bad?
Old 04-22-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Boy, it sure seems like nobody is talking about this show at all. is it that bad?
Well, for starters, it's on a streaming platform that not many here have let alone subscribe to.

2nd, with so much other content out there that is far more accessible, I don't think this had any chance of getting much attention here, especially with the new Netflix shows like Daredevil and lots of cable dramas airing now.
Old 04-22-15, 08:38 AM

I've watched through episode 6. I've kept the same view. Yes it's cheesy and bad, but still entertaining in a B-movie way.
Old 04-22-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Its pretty bad. Its cheesy and has low production values. The female partner is god awful. But for some reason I'm still watching.
Old 05-06-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ason-at-793768

Renewed for a 2nd season
Old 05-06-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
On episode 3 now. I'm actually enjoying it for what it is. It's a little campy, a little overdramatic, not too-well-acted (apparently using a gravelly voice is all you need to act these days). But, the effects actually seem to be getting better, and i still love the concept.

2 complaints:

1) yes, i know you're not on a regular network, and you can be all edgy and curse every other word. But they're taking it overboard. I'm a few minutes into episode 3, and someone says "Thank fuck no one was inside". I am 35 years old and i have NEVER heard anyone, ever, use the phrase "Thank fuck".
I think from the rest of your post you've read the comic, and though I haven't seen the show, the swearing may be accurate to the source material; there's a ton of swearing in Powers the comic, IIRC.
Old 05-06-15, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think from the rest of your post you've read the comic, and though I haven't seen the show, the swearing may be accurate to the source material; there's a ton of swearing in Powers the comic, IIRC.
yeah, i've definitely read the comic, and i have no issue with swearing. It's just used excessively - like the example I stated above.

phrases like "fuck yes", "holy fuck", etc. make sense. That one phrase "thank fuck" stuck out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-08-15, 03:43 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone seen the whole series and can recommend it ?
Old 06-08-15, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet but I like it. If cheap effects get to you you wont like it.
Old 06-08-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the whole series and I like it, but I agree with Baron of Hell. The effects are quite bad sometimes, but I don't really care about CGI and all that kind of stuff. But to give you a context of what I mean by bad, sometimes the flying looks like something out of The Greatest American Hero. And not because they don't know how to control their flying (they do). Other CGI looks hokey too. It's not an ultra serious show.'

If you have access to it, I'd say watch episode 1 and see if you can tolerate it's shortcomings and get any enjoyment from it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.