TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Still one of my favorite shows of all time. I think it helps that my wife and I watched the whole thing together from when we started dating, to marriage and then the series ended shortly after having our second child. So in that sense it was part of how we started our lives together.

Having said that, I still hate the finale and it's been the only episode of the series that I've only seen once because I don't want to see it again. It was a huge slap in the face of fans, Slapsgiving style.

Ohh I forgot about the Slapsgiving episodes, those were so great!
Old 03-25-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched the S1 finale. This show. Mixing Ted/Robin and Marshall/Lilly situations was perfect.

And now I just remembered the episode with Marshall's dad. I can't wait to watch it. I don't. I can't.
Old 03-25-17, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Trelach24
I bailed after season 7 of the original run just because it had become a shell of its former self and I didn't want to tarnish my memory of the show because vintage HIMYM is one of the best shows ever.

So I had already emotionally detached the final seasons from the first 4 or so when it was so great. Looks like that was the best decision I ever made because I just finished watching the entire run and I wasn't nearly as upset as you all were or as I probably would have been had I stuck it out originally.

I never really cared who the mother was as that was just a unique device to make the show stand out and possibly get it green-lit in the first place. It was still just a sitcom so the ending didn't ruin the show for me like Lost was ruined. I didn't even mind that the final season took place over one weekend. Like I said, I had already separated the bad seasons from the vintage ones so nothing really changed for me. I'll always love the show for what it was at its peak and there are plenty of those episodes to enjoy.
I think bingeing really helps get you through an uneven season. After a bad episode, you can just watch the next one instead of stewing over it for a week.

Originally Posted by Raul3
Ohh I forgot about the Slapsgiving episodes, those were so great!
I really hated the one in the final season, "Slappointment in Slapmarra."
Old 03-25-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever anybody talk about how a show went from awesome to shit, I always think of this one. Sadly, even though we couldn't stand this show towards the end, we kept going with it because we wanted to see how the mother story worked out. And then, like so many others, we hated the actual ending and love the official alternate ending.

HIMYM taught us a valuable lesson. We don't stick with sitcoms after they stop making us laugh more than they make up groan and wince.
Old 03-25-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I've tried to watch a few of these late at night when nothing else is on and I just can't get through them anymore. That's how badly the ending ruined the show for me. Ted was such a toolbag he didn't deserve either woman let alone getting both. So fucking dumb.

That being said, the Slapsgivings episodes will always be awesome.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey

HIMYM taught us a valuable lesson. We don't stick with sitcoms after they stop making us laugh more than they make up groan and wince.
Sounds like a decent rule of thumb except Scrubs 2.0 comes to mind. Once Braff left, the show was so much better.
Old 03-25-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Different strokes. I love this show. The final was great to me.
Old 03-25-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

What's funny is that with so much build up, you'd think if anything would fail to live up to lofty expectations it would be the reveal of the mother. But they nailed the casting and then (probably because of that) blew it anyway.
Old 03-25-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think bingeing really helps get you through an uneven season. After a bad episode, you can just watch the next one instead of stewing over it for a week.
I did not watch it at broadcast, so I will agree with this. I binged the whole thing a few Christmases ago and loved it. I've tried watching random episodes in syndication and can't get into them. Despite being a weekly sitcom, HIMYM just had too many ongoing story arcs to work as random episodes.