Reload this Page >

Surviving Jack (FOX) -- S: Chris Meloni -- From Bill Lawrence -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-27-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

CHRISTOPHER MELONI RETURNS TO BROADCAST TELEVISION IN THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "SURVIVING JACK" THURSDAY, MARCH 27, ON FOX

Based on Best-Selling Author Justin Halpern's Autobiographical Book, "I Suck at Girls"

Set in the 1990s, SURVIVING JACK is about a man becoming a dad, as his son is becoming a man, in a time before "coming of age" was something you could Google. JACK DUNLEVY (Emmy Award nominee Christopher Meloni, "True Blood," "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"), ex-military and an oncologist, is a no-bull kind of guy. But after years of deftly raising and running the family, his wife, JOANNE (Rachael Harris, "Suits," NEW GIRL, "The Hangover"), is starting law school, leaving Jack as a full-time parent for the very first time. Jack's teenage son, FRANKIE (Connor Buckley, "Deception"), is just starting his freshman year in high school. His daughter, RACHEL (Claudia Lee, "Kick-Ass 2," "Hart of Dixie"), is a gorgeous and super-smart 17-year-old high school junior. In addition to disciplining his own children, Jack must look out for Frankie's best friends: GEORGE (Kevin Hernandez, "The Sitter"), an overly confident Mexican-American with a big vocabulary; and MIKEY (newcomer Tyler Foden), a tough kid from a broken home. Don't miss the all-new "Pilot" Series Premiere episode of SURVIVING JACK airing Thursday, March 27 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (JAC-101) (TV-14 D, L, S)

Cast: Christopher Meloni as Jack Dunlevy; Rachael Harris as Joanne Dunlevy; Connor Buckley as Frankie Dunlevy; Claudia Lee as Rachel Dunlevy; Tyler Foden as Mikey; Kevin Hernandez as George.

Read more: Listings - SURVIVING JACK on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2xDVJmtRi

This show has an 8 episode order.

It's from Bill Lawrence, who created Scrubs and Cougar Town

If you don't know who Chris Meloni is, he was the star of Law and Order SVU for 12 seasons.

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QaN-J996xVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-27-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Surviving Jack (FOX) -- S: Chris Meloni -- From Bill Lawrence -- Series Thread

I'll give this a shot, but the commercials have been fucking awful.
Old 03-27-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Surviving Jack (FOX) -- S: Chris Meloni -- From Bill Lawrence -- Series Thread

I've seen the promos for this, I sort of don't mind Meloni and it might be interesting seeing him in a way different role but this doesn't look that special to me.
Old 03-28-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Bill Lawrence, but have my doubts about this. Loved Scrubs, really enjoy Cougar Town, but couldn't get into Ground Floor. Hoping that I am pleasantly surprised...
Old 03-28-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This looks awful...maybe it is, in part, because Meloni can never be anything but that guy in OZ when I look at him...
Old 03-28-14, 06:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

anyone watch this?
Old 03-28-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
anyone watch this?
The wife and I just got done watching it. Wasn't sure if we would like it but we gave it a shot found it entertaining in large part due to Christopher Meloni. I set the dvr for the rest of the series. I have never seen any of the other shows by Bill Lawrence, so I can't compare them to this.
Old 03-28-14, 10:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i saw it too and thought it was, well, not good. just didn't stick with me. had some similar Lawrence elements, but not enough for me. pass.
Old 03-29-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was watching it going "Meloni's just doing Stabler in a sitcom". None of the SVU cases, all of the potential gravitas toned way down.
Old 03-29-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its okay.
The teen boy is weird with that crazy eye thing he has.

I guess the new tv sitcom thing will be this was my childhood types of shows.

This show woukd hvae had music rights issue up the wazzoo if this show was on 20 years ago

Last edited by whotony; 03-29-14 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-30-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needs more hot daughter.
Old 03-31-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Its okay.

This show woukd hvae had music rights issue up the wazzoo if this show was on 20 years ago
I thought the show was pretty average, the father was too much of an asshole to care about, even with his concern and fatherly advice at the end. Maybe if they tone it down a little it would be better. I might watch a few more episodes.

I thought the music was great. Lots of songs I had not heard in a while. It crossed my mind to save it on the DVR because it will probably never be released on DVD with the original soundtrack. I had visions of selling bootlegs of it on eBay to thousands of fans of the show who would pay anything to get it in its original form, but then I regained my senses and deleted it.
Old 03-31-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't realize it aired yet.

I see don't see Meloni as a comedic actor. He's just too intense.
Old 03-31-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/\ You should check out Wet Hot American Summer.

Old 03-31-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was good, thought the music was good and Meloni scaring the crap out of Mango was hilarious. I'm a huge fan of Scrubs so I'm in til Fox cancels it.
Old 04-01-14, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I thought the show was pretty average, the father was too much of an asshole to care about, even with his concern and fatherly advice at the end. Maybe if they tone it down a little it would be better. I might watch a few more episodes.

I thought the music was great. Lots of songs I had not heard in a while. It crossed my mind to save it on the DVR because it will probably never be released on DVD with the original soundtrack. I had visions of selling bootlegs of it on eBay to thousands of fans of the show who would pay anything to get it in its original form, but then I regained my senses and deleted it.
I also thought the father was too much of an asshole. I thought the show was ok, but not great.
Old 04-19-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still watching this one, it's a fun little comedy.
Old 04-19-14, 01:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the kid, but hate the dad (in ways I don't think the showrunners want you to hate him).
Old 04-19-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the show a good bit, watch it on Hulu from time to time.
Old 04-19-14, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
/\ You should check out Wet Hot American Summer.
He was also funny in the Harold & Kumar movies.
Old 05-07-14, 08:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Officially cancelled.