Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Old 03-18-14, 09:35 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,922
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14




FINCH AND ROOT CLASH WHEN THE MACHINE SENDS THEM AFTER THE SAME PERSON, ON "PERSON OF INTEREST," TUESDAY, MARCH 18

" / " - The Machine assigns Root to seek out a janitor with a mysterious past, but when her very presence puts his life in danger, Finch also receives his number, on PERSON OF INTEREST, Tuesday, March 18 (10:01 - 11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS:

Jim Caviezel (John Reese)
Michael Emerson (Harold Finch)
Kevin Chapman (Detective Lionel Fusco)
Sarah Shahi (Sameen Shaw)
Amy Acker (Root)

RECURRING CAST:

John Nolan (Greer)
Leslie Odom (Pete Collier)

GUEST CAST:

Yul Vasquez (Cyrus Wells)
Colin Donnell (Billy Parsons)
Peter Rini (Dr. Carr)
Steve Lord (Skinhead)
Matthew Stocke (Courier)
Danielle Di Vecchio (Capt. Divecchio)
Alex Shimizu (Daizo)
Joe Gately (Guard)
Rose Sias (Uni)

WRITTEN BY: David Slack

DIRECTED BY: Jeff Gibson


Read more: Listings - PERSON OF INTEREST on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2wMtZVT00



Episode 17 of 23

Yes, that episode title is correct. It's going to make this thread hard to find.


Renewed for a 4th season last week

http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_i...music/1002111/
Old 03-18-14, 11:10 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Root and Vigilance in one episode? Yeah, this one really sucked. And not only did we get the return of Super Root, we also got the return of the Implausible Shaw (and this despite my normally liking Shaw) surviving a poorly written scenario by means of an even more poorly written escape. This episode was horribly written, poorly directed, and all over the place. At least Samaritan is now online. Hopefully something juicy results from that.
Old 03-19-14, 07:15 AM
  #3  
ATX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

guess the purpose of the episode was to make people see root in another light

basically a transitional ep since samaritan is going online in a few hours and all of them are first on the hit list they will be working together 100% fromhere on out

all of the machines 'assets' are the first ones targetted...

even colliers name came up at the end and someone named maria martinez

the other purpose of the episode is to confirm that root is full on lesbian

i mean we got the clues already...all the previous lesbionics between her and shaw, her intimate relationship with "her" (the machine), her disgust for reese..she just looks at him like a big pet gorilla...shaw kinda liked the flirting seemed like

the vigillence stuff i agree was stupid, but they never did end that storyline so i guess they just felt the need to bring collier back

the final episodes of the season will be very interesting
Old 03-19-14, 10:26 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,243
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

I am out. I tried to hang with the show, but it is just pure fantasy now with:
-a smarmy, indestructable cyborg with instant access to all the world's knowledge and control over all things electronic
-a computer that has a conscience and human emotions
-not one, but two superheroes that are so unconquerable that they don't even bother showing the fist fights where a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.
-two or three secret organizations of super villains with unlimited resources and supreme control over everything.

I hear next week, Fusco is kidnapped by Vigilance and taken to Florida and the whole group will have to go down there to save him
Spoiler:
Vigilance is keeping him on a yacht and Reese will have to ride his motorcycle down a dock and jump over shark-infested waters to stop them before they get away.


Taraji P. Henson was smart to leave the show when she did. This show used to be great, but now it's just stupid.

Last edited by Quatermass; 03-19-14 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-19-14, 10:38 AM
  #5  
ATX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.
apparently if you have a long metal pole and ninja moves...it's possible!

---

the shows feel definately did change since carters exit but

imo, this is still the best show on network television currently

so i'll be watching till the very end
Old 03-19-14, 02:45 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JuryDuty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 6,489
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I am out. I tried to hang with the show, but it is just pure fantasy now with:
-a smarmy, indestructable cyborg with instant access to all the world's knowledge and control over all things electronic
-a computer that has a conscience and human emotions
-not one, but two superheroes that are so unconquerable that they don't even bother showing the fist fights where a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.
-two or three secret organizations of super villains with unlimited resources and supreme control over everything.

I hear next week, Fusco is kidnapped by Vigilance and taken to Florida and the whole group will have to go down there to save him
Spoiler:
Vigilance is keeping him on a yacht and Reese will have to ride his motorcycle down a dock and jump over shark-infested waters to stop them before they get away.


Taraji P. Henson was smart to leave the show when she did. This show used to be great, but now it's just stupid.
The best way to enjoy this show is to realize it's a comic superhero story. That makes all the villains, super villains, and super-heroic moves, (and even some of the filming choices), make sense. Once I saw it that way, I've thought it is a very enjoyable ride.

And just as a point of note, from what I understand, Henson was written out and it was something planned from the beginning. She didn't decide it was time to leave; the writers just decided it was time for her character's story to end.
Old 03-19-14, 02:57 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,922
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
The best way to enjoy this show is to realize it's a comic superhero story. That makes all the villains, super villains, and super-heroic moves, (and even some of the filming choices), make sense. Once I saw it that way, I've thought it is a very enjoyable ride.

And just as a point of note, from what I understand, Henson was written out and it was something planned from the beginning. She didn't decide it was time to leave; the writers just decided it was time for her character's story to end.
Exactly. I don't know what Quartermass thought he was watching, but this show has always been more of a comic action fantasy with some touches of science fiction. It's not even close to being a serious law enforcement show. Hell, Jonathan Nolan (who created this show) is the co-writer of The Dark Knight trilogy.
Old 03-19-14, 03:20 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
-not one, but two superheroes that are so unconquerable that they don't even bother showing the fist fights where a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.
What really pisses me off is that the show used to be able to get away with cute cutaways like that because it was all somewhat grounded. For instance, the season 2 episode where Reese first got Bear had a similar cutaway that only showed you some guy getting thrown out of a window (indicating that Reese mopped the floor with all of those inside). But later in that same episode, Reese got his ass handed to him by the hulking leader of that same group and Carter had to shoot the guy from behind to save the day. Fusco even commented on how surprised he was to see Reese finally almost lose a fight.

If that scenario played in this season, Shaw would have one-punched that huge guy and we'd be expected to accept it as completely believable.
Old 03-19-14, 03:35 PM
  #9  
ATX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

at the same time though shaw HAS gotten shot, captured etc

it's more possible she could whoop 4 dudes becuase she's a woman and most bad guys would be like "what this lil bitch gonna do against us" and underestimate a pending ass whooping

all we know is that she made it out alive and made it back to the library for a cool drink

plus, root gave her that energy bar...that is what put shaw over the top
Old 03-19-14, 05:00 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,243
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Exactly. I don't know what Quartermass thought he was watching, but this show has always been more of a comic action fantasy with some touches of science fiction. It's not even close to being a serious law enforcement show. Hell, Jonathan Nolan (who created this show) is the co-writer of The Dark Knight trilogy.
It used to be grounded in the realm of possibility. Finch built a machine for the government that analyzed data from all available surveillance sources and would spit out a person of interest that would be likely to kill or be killed. That's all it did. Finch enlisted Reese to save the ones deemed irrelevant. Finch would have to use his hacking skills to shut down alarms, etc. That's all stuff that's marginally believable. The stuff they are doing now is not believable to me. They might as well be using unicorns and wizards. Fusco is pretty much totally unnecessary now and really so are Reese, Shaw and Finch. Root and The Machine can do anything. I'll bet before long Reese will have to go "inside the computer" (or the new rival computer) and shut it down. That's NOT the kind of show this started out as.
Old 03-20-14, 12:11 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleighwood
Posts: 6,644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

I'm not nearly ready to drop the show, but I agree with a lot of what Quatermass said. You've always had to suspend disbelief to some extent, but the show has taken on some cartoonish qualities: Root as The Terminator, Reese beating up ten guys at once, tiny Sarah Shahi slugging it out with guys twice her size.
Old 03-20-14, 09:25 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,760
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

This has been an uneven season to say the least. Wasn't thrilled with this one. Last week was so much better. Hopefully it will tighten up towards the end here. The Black List, The Walking Dead and this one are the only shows I watch the night they are broadcast typically. I still feel I need to watch it day one.
Old 03-20-14, 11:41 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
It used to be grounded in the realm of possibility. Finch built a machine for the government that analyzed data from all available surveillance sources and would spit out a person of interest that would be likely to kill or be killed. That's all it did. Finch enlisted Reese to save the ones deemed irrelevant. Finch would have to use his hacking skills to shut down alarms, etc. That's all stuff that's marginally believable. The stuff they are doing now is not believable to me. They might as well be using unicorns and wizards. Fusco is pretty much totally unnecessary now and really so are Reese, Shaw and Finch. Root and The Machine can do anything. I'll bet before long Reese will have to go "inside the computer" (or the new rival computer) and shut it down. That's NOT the kind of show this started out as.
This. I still watch the show but this Root crap is getting real annoying.
Old 03-20-14, 12:21 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,167
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

I thought this was a sensational episode. I like these mini story arcs within the season. Better than the procedural way they did it in the earlier seasons.



But yea, Shaw's escape was pretty lame
Old 03-20-14, 04:46 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Super Root and Implausible Shaw really just conform to the unwritten law in Hollywood now - that women are just as physically strong (or stronger) as any man no matter the size difference and they all have the martial art skill to make Bruce Lee look like a beginning white belt at the Y karate class. They all must be tougher, smarter and shoot faster and straighter than any man - except possibly the hero of the show if male. Not always but most of the time.
Old 03-20-14, 10:37 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

I actually thought this was a pretty decent episode. But I agree Root really has to go. She makes there be no point to any of the other characters because like what was brought up, she's almost bordering and super human.
Old 03-22-14, 09:39 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,336
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

I'm in huge disagreement with most here, Root is just about the only thing left on the show working. She introduces a brand of crazy that Person of Interest otherwise lacks. They need to limit her abilities, they are pushing her powers too heavily.

They have gone way overboard on the nonsense with Shaw. She's basically the most fantastical character on television at the moment. They went from Reese taking out a few guys at once and turned Shaw into an even more unstoppable character. I believe the stuff with the all-knowing supercomputer more than her surviving all of her confrontations. If you notice carefully, they've begun to cut around her actual fights so we have to imagine now how she got of them alive. I guess that is one way to avoid the issue.
Old 03-24-14, 08:02 PM
  #18  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I am out.

Taraji P. Henson was smart to leave the show when she did. This show used to be great, but now it's just stupid.
Taraji P. Henson did not ask to leave "Person of Interest". It was Jonathan Nolan, the creator and showrunner, who decided it was time to write off Carter to focus on his version of Catwoman (Shaw) and Root.

Nolan was asked about why he killed Carter, and he pretty much said that it was to take the show in a new direction. Basically, he wanted to focus more on sci-fi aspect.

Taraji P. Henson has signed on to a new FOX TV series, which is filming a pilot now, so she's still willing to do TV. She handled her POI exit with grace, but I doubt she wanted to remain on the show for only 2.5 seasons. She just did not want to do it for 7 seasons, which I doubt POI will reach.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.