DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618861-person-interest-3-18-14-a.html)

DJariya 03-18-14 08:35 PM

Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...42006665_n.jpg

FINCH AND ROOT CLASH WHEN THE MACHINE SENDS THEM AFTER THE SAME PERSON, ON "PERSON OF INTEREST," TUESDAY, MARCH 18

" / " - The Machine assigns Root to seek out a janitor with a mysterious past, but when her very presence puts his life in danger, Finch also receives his number, on PERSON OF INTEREST, Tuesday, March 18 (10:01 - 11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS:

Jim Caviezel (John Reese)
Michael Emerson (Harold Finch)
Kevin Chapman (Detective Lionel Fusco)
Sarah Shahi (Sameen Shaw)
Amy Acker (Root)

RECURRING CAST:

John Nolan (Greer)
Leslie Odom (Pete Collier)

GUEST CAST:

Yul Vasquez (Cyrus Wells)
Colin Donnell (Billy Parsons)
Peter Rini (Dr. Carr)
Steve Lord (Skinhead)
Matthew Stocke (Courier)
Danielle Di Vecchio (Capt. Divecchio)
Alex Shimizu (Daizo)
Joe Gately (Guard)
Rose Sias (Uni)

WRITTEN BY: David Slack

DIRECTED BY: Jeff Gibson

Read more: Listings - PERSON OF INTEREST on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2wMtZVT00

Episode 17 of 23

Yes, that episode title is correct. It's going to make this thread hard to find. :lol:

Renewed for a 4th season last week

http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_i...music/1002111/

RocShemp 03-18-14 10:10 PM

Re: Person of Interest -- "/" -- 3/18/14

Root and Vigilance in one episode? Yeah, this one really sucked. And not only did we get the return of Super Root, we also got the return of the Implausible Shaw (and this despite my normally liking Shaw) surviving a poorly written scenario by means of an even more poorly written escape. This episode was horribly written, poorly directed, and all over the place. At least Samaritan is now online. Hopefully something juicy results from that.

ATX 03-19-14 06:15 AM

guess the purpose of the episode was to make people see root in another light

basically a transitional ep since samaritan is going online in a few hours and all of them are first on the hit list they will be working together 100% fromhere on out

all of the machines 'assets' are the first ones targetted...

even colliers name came up at the end and someone named maria martinez

the other purpose of the episode is to confirm that root is full on lesbian

i mean we got the clues already...all the previous lesbionics between her and shaw, her intimate relationship with "her" (the machine), her disgust for reese..she just looks at him like a big pet gorilla...shaw kinda liked the flirting seemed like

the vigillence stuff i agree was stupid, but they never did end that storyline so i guess they just felt the need to bring collier back

the final episodes of the season will be very interesting

Quatermass 03-19-14 09:26 AM

I am out. I tried to hang with the show, but it is just pure fantasy now with:
-a smarmy, indestructable cyborg with instant access to all the world's knowledge and control over all things electronic
-a computer that has a conscience and human emotions
-not one, but two superheroes that are so unconquerable that they don't even bother showing the fist fights where a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.
-two or three secret organizations of super villains with unlimited resources and supreme control over everything.

I hear next week, Fusco is kidnapped by Vigilance and taken to Florida and the whole group will have to go down there to save him
Spoiler:
Vigilance is keeping him on a yacht and Reese will have to ride his motorcycle down a dock and jump over shark-infested waters to stop them before they get away.

Taraji P. Henson was smart to leave the show when she did. This show used to be great, but now it's just stupid.

ATX 03-19-14 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 12049374)
a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.

apparently if you have a long metal pole and ninja moves...it's possible!

---

the shows feel definately did change since carters exit but

imo, this is still the best show on network television currently

so i'll be watching till the very end

JuryDuty 03-19-14 01:45 PM

I am out. I tried to hang with the show, but it is just pure fantasy now with:
-a smarmy, indestructable cyborg with instant access to all the world's knowledge and control over all things electronic
-a computer that has a conscience and human emotions
-not one, but two superheroes that are so unconquerable that they don't even bother showing the fist fights where a 93 pound woman can beat 4 200 lb men unconscious simultaneously.
-two or three secret organizations of super villains with unlimited resources and supreme control over everything.

I hear next week, Fusco is kidnapped by Vigilance and taken to Florida and the whole group will have to go down there to save him
Spoiler:
Vigilance is keeping him on a yacht and Reese will have to ride his motorcycle down a dock and jump over shark-infested waters to stop them before they get away.

Taraji P. Henson was smart to leave the show when she did. This show used to be great, but now it's just stupid.

The best way to enjoy this show is to realize it's a comic superhero story. That makes all the villains, super villains, and super-heroic moves, (and even some of the filming choices), make sense. Once I saw it that way, I've thought it is a very enjoyable ride.

And just as a point of note, from what I understand, Henson was written out and it was something planned from the beginning. She didn't decide it was time to leave; the writers just decided it was time for her character's story to end.

DJariya 03-19-14 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 12049740)
The best way to enjoy this show is to realize it's a comic superhero story. That makes all the villains, super villains, and super-heroic moves, (and even some of the filming choices), make sense. Once I saw it that way, I've thought it is a very enjoyable ride.

And just as a point of note, from what I understand, Henson was written out and it was something planned from the beginning. She didn't decide it was time to leave; the writers just decided it was time for her character's story to end.

Exactly. I don't know what Quartermass thought he was watching, but this show has always been more of a comic action fantasy with some touches of science fiction. It's not even close to being a serious law enforcement show. Hell, Jonathan Nolan (who created this show) is the co-writer of The Dark Knight trilogy.

RocShemp 03-19-14 02:20 PM

What really pisses me off is that the show used to be able to get away with cute cutaways like that because it was all somewhat grounded. For instance, the season 2 episode where Reese first got Bear had a similar cutaway that only showed you some guy getting thrown out of a window (indicating that Reese mopped the floor with all of those inside). But later in that same episode, Reese got his ass handed to him by the hulking leader of that same group and Carter had to shoot the guy from behind to save the day. Fusco even commented on how surprised he was to see Reese finally almost lose a fight.

If that scenario played in this season, Shaw would have one-punched that huge guy and we'd be expected to accept it as completely believable.

ATX 03-19-14 02:35 PM

at the same time though shaw HAS gotten shot, captured etc

it's more possible she could whoop 4 dudes becuase she's a woman and most bad guys would be like "what this lil bitch gonna do against us" and underestimate a pending ass whooping

all we know is that she made it out alive and made it back to the library for a cool drink

plus, root gave her that energy bar...that is what put shaw over the top :D

Quatermass 03-19-14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12049757)
Exactly. I don't know what Quartermass thought he was watching, but this show has always been more of a comic action fantasy with some touches of science fiction. It's not even close to being a serious law enforcement show. Hell, Jonathan Nolan (who created this show) is the co-writer of The Dark Knight trilogy.

It used to be grounded in the realm of possibility. Finch built a machine for the government that analyzed data from all available surveillance sources and would spit out a person of interest that would be likely to kill or be killed. That's all it did. Finch enlisted Reese to save the ones deemed irrelevant. Finch would have to use his hacking skills to shut down alarms, etc. That's all stuff that's marginally believable. The stuff they are doing now is not believable to me. They might as well be using unicorns and wizards. Fusco is pretty much totally unnecessary now and really so are Reese, Shaw and Finch. Root and The Machine can do anything. I'll bet before long Reese will have to go "inside the computer" (or the new rival computer) and shut it down. That's NOT the kind of show this started out as.

Fist of Doom 03-19-14 11:11 PM

I'm not nearly ready to drop the show, but I agree with a lot of what Quatermass said. You've always had to suspend disbelief to some extent, but the show has taken on some cartoonish qualities: Root as The Terminator, Reese beating up ten guys at once, tiny Sarah Shahi slugging it out with guys twice her size.

d2cheer 03-20-14 08:25 AM

This has been an uneven season to say the least. Wasn't thrilled with this one. Last week was so much better. Hopefully it will tighten up towards the end here. The Black List, The Walking Dead and this one are the only shows I watch the night they are broadcast typically. I still feel I need to watch it day one.

zuffy 03-20-14 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 12049956)
It used to be grounded in the realm of possibility. Finch built a machine for the government that analyzed data from all available surveillance sources and would spit out a person of interest that would be likely to kill or be killed. That's all it did. Finch enlisted Reese to save the ones deemed irrelevant. Finch would have to use his hacking skills to shut down alarms, etc. That's all stuff that's marginally believable. The stuff they are doing now is not believable to me. They might as well be using unicorns and wizards. Fusco is pretty much totally unnecessary now and really so are Reese, Shaw and Finch. Root and The Machine can do anything. I'll bet before long Reese will have to go "inside the computer" (or the new rival computer) and shut it down. That's NOT the kind of show this started out as.

This. I still watch the show but this Root crap is getting real annoying.

MLBFan24 03-20-14 11:21 AM

I thought this was a sensational episode. I like these mini story arcs within the season. Better than the procedural way they did it in the earlier seasons.

But yea, Shaw's escape was pretty lame

45shooter 03-20-14 03:46 PM

Super Root and Implausible Shaw really just conform to the unwritten law in Hollywood now - that women are just as physically strong (or stronger) as any man no matter the size difference and they all have the martial art skill to make Bruce Lee look like a beginning white belt at the Y karate class. They all must be tougher, smarter and shoot faster and straighter than any man - except possibly the hero of the show if male. Not always but most of the time.

robin2099 03-20-14 09:37 PM

I actually thought this was a pretty decent episode. But I agree Root really has to go. She makes there be no point to any of the other characters because like what was brought up, she's almost bordering and super human.

PhantomStranger 03-22-14 08:39 PM

I'm in huge disagreement with most here, Root is just about the only thing left on the show working. She introduces a brand of crazy that Person of Interest otherwise lacks. They need to limit her abilities, they are pushing her powers too heavily.

They have gone way overboard on the nonsense with Shaw. She's basically the most fantastical character on television at the moment. They went from Reese taking out a few guys at once and turned Shaw into an even more unstoppable character. I believe the stuff with the all-knowing supercomputer more than her surviving all of her confrontations. If you notice carefully, they've begun to cut around her actual fights so we have to imagine now how she got of them alive. I guess that is one way to avoid the issue.

tellor 03-24-14 07:02 PM

I am out.

Taraji P. Henson did not ask to leave "Person of Interest". It was Jonathan Nolan, the creator and showrunner, who decided it was time to write off Carter to focus on his version of Catwoman (Shaw) and Root.

Nolan was asked about why he killed Carter, and he pretty much said that it was to take the show in a new direction. Basically, he wanted to focus more on sci-fi aspect.

Taraji P. Henson has signed on to a new FOX TV series, which is filming a pilot now, so she's still willing to do TV. She handled her POI exit with grace, but I doubt she wanted to remain on the show for only 2.5 seasons. She just did not want to do it for 7 seasons, which I doubt POI will reach.