From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series (El Rey) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 3/11/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 10:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series officially greenlit. Will premiere in early 2014

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
When does this air ?
Early 2014. Set your DVD now!
Old 02-15-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series officially greenlit. Will premiere in early 2014

The channel seems to be off & running now. I'm digging all the kung fu & Shaw Bros films they've got lined up. Dubbed & non-HD, but at least they're widescreen.
Old 02-16-14, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had this set to record on my dvr, but they must have pulled it as it is no longer showing up when I do a search. According to Directv it was supposed to start airing this past Thurs night(2/13) along with presumably re-airings on Friday(2/14).
Old 02-16-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I had this set to record on my dvr, but they must have pulled it as it is no longer showing up when I do a search. According to Directv it was supposed to start airing this past Thurs night(2/13) along with presumably re-airings on Friday(2/14).
Doesn't premiere until March 11th. It must have been an error.
Old 02-16-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
So is his cable channel going to allow for nudity?
So far, It looks like this might be an IFC-type channel (Uncut movies w/ commercials in between)

They're showing Switchblade Sisters right now and nothing's being censored (The original Fright Night was on earlier and both the boobage & "Fuck You, Brewster" slid by too) Great news considering I thought this channel would just be a SPIKE clone. All we need is HD!!!!!
Old 02-28-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dolemite on "Grindhouse Theater" Tonight!

I love how the promos are done:
Old 03-11-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

El Rey Network plans to take viewers on a wild ride with the highly-anticipated, one-hour premiere of "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" on Tuesday, March 11th at 9pm ET/PT. The series, created and executive produced by network Founder and Chairman, filmmaker Robert Rodriguez, is based on the cult classic film of the same name. The 10-episode series will serve as the first scripted original to air on the network. Rodriguez, who will direct the first, second and fourth episodes, has enlisted fellow award-winning filmmakers, Eduardo Sánchez (The Blair Witch Project) and Joe Menendez (The Brothers Garcia, Hunting of Man, Ladron) to direct episodes three, and five, respectively. Emmy-Winning Special Effects wizard Greg Nicotero (The Walking Dead) will oversee make-up effects for the series. As previously announced, Nikita executive producer Carlos Coto is the showrunner. The supernatural crime saga (based on the cult classic film of the same name) will feature an international cast including: D.J. Cotrona (Dear John, G.I. Joe: Retaliation); Zane Holtz (Holes, The Perks of Being a Wallflower); Jesse Garcia (Quinceañera, Sons of Anarchy); Eiza González (Lola: Érase Una Vez); Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show, To Whom It May Concern); Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights, G.I. Joe: Retaliation); Jake Busey (Starship Troopers, Enemy of the State, Identity); Don Johnson (Django Unchained, Nash Bridges); Madison Davenport (Save Me, Shameless); Lane Garrison (Bonnie & Clyde, Prison Break); Robert Patrick (Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The X-Files); and Brandon Soo Hoo (Tropic Thunder, Ender's Game, Incredible Crew). Based on the thrill-ride film, "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" is a supernatural crime saga centered around bank robber, Seth Gecko (Cotrona) and his violent, unpredictable brother, Richard "Richie" Gecko (Holtz), who are wanted by the FBI and Texas Rangers Earl McGraw (Johnson) and Freddie Gonzalez (Garcia) after a bank heist leaves several people dead. While on the run to Mexico, Seth and Richie encounter former pastor Jacob Fuller (Patrick) and his family, whom they take hostage. Using the family RV to cross the border, chaos ensues when the group detours to a strip club that is populated by vampires. They are forced to fight until dawn in order to get out alive. The series deepens the tone and expands the storyline of the film, adds new characters and backstories, and explores the Mesoamerican mythology behind the creatures inside the club.
PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adrianne Palicki as Vanessa Styles
· Brandon Soo Hoo as Scott Fuller
· D.J. Cotrona as Seth Gecko
· Don Johnson as Earl McGraw
· Eiza González as Santánico Pandemonium
· Jake Busey as Aiden Tanner
· Jesse Garcia as Freddie Gonzalez
· Lane Garrison as Pete
· Madison Davenport as Kate Fuller
· Robert Patrick as Jacob Fuller
· Wilmer Valderrama as Carlos
· Zane Holtz as Richie Gecko

CREW INFORMATION:
· Carlos Coto as EP
· Cristina Patwa as EP
· Diego Gutierrez as CO-EP
· John Fogelman as EP
· Robert Rodriguez as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)

Premieres tonight. I don't know how many of you even get this network on your providers. Obviously OTA people won't be watching.

It's in SD on Directv, but I'm going to give it a whirl. I watched the 30 minute special the other day that previewed the series and it looked interesting. Although it's definitely low budget.

Carlos Coto, who worked on 24 and Nikita, is the head writer and showrunner.

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NjKVOfFovQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)
Old 03-11-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series (El Rey) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 3/11/14

Thanks for the reminder. DVR set
Old 03-11-14, 02:36 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series (El Rey) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 3/11/14

This looks like crap to me.

I would be interested in this El Rey station though. I'll try and watch the first episode if I can find it by other means to see how it really is.
Old 03-11-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.elreynetwork.com/

You can check the network website and see if your provider has the channel.

For those who don't live in the U.S., it will be available on Netflix International the day after the episode airs.

http://www.slashgear.com/netflix-ori...h-12-07319908/
Old 03-11-14, 02:39 PM

Yea.. only seems available on DirectTV in my area.
Old 03-11-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
This looks like crap to me.

I would be interested in this El Rey station though. I'll try and watch the first episode if I can find it by other means to see how it really is.
I've watched a little of the El Rey network. It's kind of a cool niche channel. They have old school Kung Fu movies, Grindhouse & horror movies.

Unfortunately as I just said, I only get the channel in SD.
Old 03-11-14, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've watched a little of the El Rey network. It's kind of a cool niche channel. They have old school Kung Fu movies, Grindhouse & horror movies.

Unfortunately as I just said, I only get the channel in SD.
Would be interested in that.
Old 03-11-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
They have old school Kung Fu movies, Grindhouse & horror movies.
Welcome El Rey to my power on channel.
Old 03-11-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Getting surprisingly good reviews...
Old 03-11-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

There's also a 30 minute behind the scenes show airing right before the pilot. It's probably the thing DJariya watched already.

Now that the channel has actually ramped up in terms of programming, it is pretty decent. I watched Switchblade Sisters on there a few weeks ago.
Old 03-11-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm hoping this shows up in HD On Demand since the station itself is only SD. Comcast does that for the Smithsonian Channel so it isn't unheard of.
Old 03-11-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm Not bad....It was interesting seeing the opening scene stretched to fill an episode. We'll see...
Old 03-12-14, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Just finished it. I'm super tired, but overall I thought it was a pretty entertaining episode. Wished it was in HD though. Had to adjust my tv so the picture wouldn't look stretched.

I agree it was really interesting that Robert Rodriguez took 1 scene from the movie and extended it to a 1 hour episode. I thought this was going to be super cheesy and super low budget, but surprisingly it wasn't bad at all. Rodriguez did good work with his budget limitations and got the best from the actors, including Cotrona and Holtz, who played Seth and Richie. Hoping to see more of Santanico Pandemonium in a future episode. There were small hints of her here.

I guess Don Johnson is 1 and done. The partner looks like to be the main adversary for the Gecko brothers.
Old 03-12-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This was pretty good. I figured it was going to be very low budget and cheesy but it surprisingly was not. Since the opening scene of the movie was stretched out to an hour I'm curious to see how the rest of the episodes will be handled. I liked it a lot though and I'm definitely in for the season.
Old 03-12-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Had no idea Rodriguez was working on a TV station. Neat.
Old 03-12-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I can't complain about not having more Gecko Brothers as QT promised waaaay back when.
Old 03-12-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gave the show a shot, but I just couldn't get into it. One of the most crippling things about the show is it's PG-13 format. Odd since all the R-rated movies (Even the once X-rated Street fighter) that the channel airs are presented uncut. Missed opportunity, IMO.
Old 03-12-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I guess I can't complain about not having more Gecko Brothers as QT promised waaaay back when.
Man. I forgot about that. That was the internet rumor mill back in 2000 or 2001.

Where is the Vega Brothers movie?
Old 03-12-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Itunes has the first episode as a free download, and in HD.
I like the film only up to the vampire bit actually so I'm looking forward to this.
I live in the UK and outside of the US Netflix pretty much has this a world exclusive and will show this within 24 hours of the US showing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.