Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (CW) -- Spinoff of Arrow -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episode

Can we please not turn this into a general DC vs. Marvel pissing contest?

Although I agree, that actor looks way young to be playing Barry Allen, but this is the CW and they're playing up to their demographic. Which is how Thea ends up running Club Verdant even though she's barely out of high school...
Old 11-20-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episode

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Although I agree, that actor looks way young to be playing Barry Allen, but this is the CW and they're playing up to their demographic. Which is how Thea ends up running Club Verdant even though she's barely out of high school...
Yeah the thread title set this up to be a pissing match.

It needs to be changed to Flash Pilot, spinoff from Arrow or something.
Old 11-20-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Why not? Because DC always ends up losing in that pissing contest?

And that's why I'll never watch any DC show on the CW. The casting is geared towards kids, and since I'm closer to a senior citizen than a high school kid in age I'm not interested in shows that use unrealisticly young stunt casting to pander to a younger demographic.

And get off my lawn!
Old 11-20-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And that's why I'll never watch any DC show on the CW. The casting is geared towards kids, and since I'm closer to a senior citizen than a high school kid in age I'm not interested in shows that use unrealisticly young stunt casting to pander to a younger demographic.
I can get past the demographics and pandering, because ARROW is such a damn good show. AGENTS OF SHIELD has super-model looking, barely-out-of-high-school hackers, agents, and super scientists as well, but it doesn't matter much either because that show is pretty much garbage.
Old 11-20-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can get past the demographics and pandering, because ARROW is such a damn good show. AGENTS OF SHIELD has super-model looking, barely-out-of-high-school hackers, agents, and super scientists as well, but it doesn't matter much either because that show is pretty much garbage.
Agents of Shield does have 3 whiz kids, plus a 30 something agent, a 40 something agent, and a team leader in his late 40's.

And I prefer the Marvel Universe over the DC Universe.

Agents of Shield is a pretty good show. It's fun and entertaining and has improved immensely since it's forced creation. Most shows are created organically - someone has an idea and it's fleshed out over time and then once it's fleshed out they pitch the show - SHIELD was pitched as an Avengers spin-off before they had any real show concept other than Phil Coulson and a group of SHIELD agents. Given that, there was almost no way that the pilot was going to be anything more than what it ended up being - utterly mediocre and uninspired.

But since the pilot the show has grown a lot, the writers and producers are starting to get a feel for the characters and a focus on what the show should be. Agents of Shiled will continue to get even better over time because of that. The first season of Star Trek TNG wasn't any better. That show took a full three years to come into it's own and become truly great.

And Agents of Shield has Ming-Na Wen. Game over.
Old 11-20-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Agents of Shield is a pretty good show.
If you say so. I think it's boring as hell. Saying that I hope they change it up and show some superheroes. I was never a DC or Marvel fanboy. I enjoyed them equally but it seems your really passionate about Marvel. I hope Shield makes a turn around but it seems your in the minority that's enjoying the show as it is.
Old 11-20-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Why not? Because DC always ends up losing in that pissing contest?

Old 11-20-13, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want Netflix to do a dark Dexter like TV show for The Punisher they could prob get the same guy from War Zone to do the show since his career hasn't really taken off.
Old 11-20-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Old 11-20-13, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the actor they chose for Barry Allen is too young. He might play a better Wally West.

Give us Wally back, Didio!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mrhan
Have you ever gone back and re-read the Spiderman stories from the 60's and 70's? To me they didn't stand the test of time. They were good when I was a kid but as an adult I couldn't stand Peter bitching and moaning about his life in literary every issue. I just wanted to slap him silly and say, "Get over it! You fuckin' pussy!"
The 70s hasn't aged that poorly, but I agree the 60s comics have. Stan Lee may have been awesome back then, but good grief is his writing ever a chore to read now.

When Marvel released those 40 Year DVD-ROM collections a few years back, that was my first time reading those early Spider-Man comics since I was a kid 20 years ago. They were not enjoyable when viewed with adult eyes and it nearly ruined my childhood nostalgia. I thought the comics improved drastically once Stan Lee left and Gerry Conway came on board.

Like you, I also wanted to slap Spider-Man because pretty much every issue ends with him sobbing, "Why why why does my life suck so bad?" That got old quickly.
Old 11-20-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Whatever.

I'll ask the same question with the right job title...

Since when do they hire high school kids to be forensic scientists?

You're talking about people in their 30's through late 50's in real life, not a 19 year old.

That actor looks a full decade too young for that role. It's a joke. A bad one.
Detective is a rank you have to rise to. Forensic scientist is a job you can get right out of college with the right degree.
Old 11-20-13, 06:38 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episod

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah the thread title set this up to be a pissing match.

It needs to be changed to Flash Pilot, spinoff from Arrow or something.
I've changed the title. Lets keep this thread to a discussion on "The Flash" show.
Old 11-20-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episod

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Detective is a rank you have to rise to. Forensic scientist is a job you can get right out of college with the right degree.
Yeah, but that's a post graduate degree - someone usually about 24 or 25 years old.

He looks 18.

And most people on that job have been there for a while, putting them squarely in the 30-55 age range.

So he's still way too young for the role. Bad joke young. I would have a hard time taking the series seriously if the lead who is supposed to be at least 28 years old looks like he's 18.
Old 11-20-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The actor is 23. It's kind of an odd thing to get hung up on. I didn't look especially different at 23 from how I looked at 18. I could grow a slightly better beard, I guess.

Plus, this guy doesn't look 18. He looks like the the type tv shows cast as an 18-year-old. In other words, he looks 25.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 11-21-13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-20-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

With Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and company involved, I think it's a foregone conclusion that this will get picked up to series for next Fall. My only concern is having some of the Arrow writer/producers double dipping on Flash and the quality of Arrow starts to suffer.

Greg Berlanti is slowly becoming the next JJ Abrams. He has quite a few projects in the pipeline with his name attached.
Old 11-21-13, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never got into DC's characters when I was a comic buyer from the 70's through the mid 90's. Marvel's characters just rang truer as people than did DC's. And Marvel's characters were more fun.

Having said that, Marvel screwed up so badly in the mid 90's that I stopped buying comics altogether. I was in my late 20's, and didn't need a huge push to jump off the comic book bandwagon, so the Clone Saga and a few other titles doing ridiculous crossovers (storylines going from title to title) was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. The thing that really pissed me off the most was when they basically said that the Amazing Spider-Man 147-150 was all a lie. That was a huge part of Spider-Man's story, and for them to say that it was all wrong just irritated and infuriated me. I was done - and I saved a lot of money every month by NOT buying comics.

I still love what Marvel did from the 60's through the early 90's (especially from the 60's into the mid 70's), and I love Marvel's characters, but the company alienated me as a comic book consumer in the mid 90's.
I was a fairly equal fan of both when I started reading comics in the early 70's. I drooped out of reading them for a good ten or so years in the mid 8o's. When I did get back into them, around '95, it was prediminatly through DC. There wasn't much of interest to me in Marvel through most of the 90's for me - except maybe Thunderbolts and Daredevil, or a random book here or there. DC, on the other hand, had a lot of good books I was reading. Now it's kind of gone back to a 60% DC, 40% Marvel thing for me.

And Agents Of Shield, while it could be better, is still a fairly good, reasonably entertaining show that has grown and improved a ton since the pilot.
That's certainly true, but even it's best episode is barely as good as Arrow's worst.

I wasn't expecting much from Arrow, but it impressed me with the first episode, and completely blew me away for the rest of the season. Season 2 is off to a gangbusters start, too.

Agents Of Sheild is just taking too long to find it's footing. There's just something that's been missing, which I just can't quite exactly out my finger on. It just feels like lacking. The last episode was absolute better than anything they've shown yet, though. If they can keep moving on from there, maybe it will become the show most of us were hoping it would, or could, be. But so far, out of new shows I was looking forward to, sadly, it ranks on the bottom of the scale.
Old 11-21-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Agents Of Sheild is just taking too long to find it's footing. There's just something that's been missing, which I just can't quite exactly out my finger on. It just feels like lacking.
Yeah, as already stated numerous times; it's lacking superheroes.
Old 11-21-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed that -- so far -- Agents of SHIELD's best episode isn't as good as Arrow's worst. Heck, if you compare the first 8 Arrow episodes with the first 8 AoS, Arrow still leaves it in the dust.

I disagree that AoS needs superheroes; it just needs to be something more than a flaccid, third-rate espionage show.

Now if only DC could just get their movies in gear...
Old 11-21-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Agreed that -- so far -- Agents of SHIELD's best episode isn't as good as Arrow's worst. Heck, if you compare the first 8 Arrow episodes with the first 8 AoS, Arrow still leaves it in the dust.
Hell I'll take the Stride Gum and Fast & Furious episodes of Smallville and stack them up against the best SHIELD has to offer. I'd even take Lana Lang/Kreuk over the lifeless cast in SHIELD. The problem is they aren't swinging for the fences. They're just hoping for a single or a double just to keep that MCU train a rollin for the fans. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, it just won't ever be a great show, just one that meanders along until cancellation.

I watched Superfriends when I was little, love the Reeve Superman flicks and had fun with Smallville. I never watched any of it because it was, OMG! DC! I watched them because they were entertaining on some level.

On the flipside, Avengers was awesome, the rest of the MCU? Horribly mediocre at best. They get a pass though for the scope of what they are attempting and the Marvel tinted glasses don't hurt either, but I wouldn't stack any of them up with some of X-men, Donner's Superman, Spiderman or Nolan's Batman.
Old 11-21-13, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
On the flipside, Avengers was awesome, the rest of the MCU? Horribly mediocre at best.
Ban him!

They get a pass though for the scope of what they are attempting and the Marvel tinted glasses don't hurt either, but I wouldn't stack any of them up with some of X-men, Donner's Superman, Spiderman or Nolan's Batman.
I tried to rewatch X-Men 1 a few months ago, and it has aged horribly. X-Men 2 is still good though.

I never cared for any of the Spider-Man movies. The second movie with Doc Ock was the only decent one, but I still didn't care for it that much.

Nolan's Batman are good movies, but they're bad "comic book" movies. They try too hard to be realistic. The first Burton Batman is still my favorite Batman movie. Its cheesy at times, but at least it never forgets its based on a comic book and attempts to take realism too far.

Donner's Superman I loved as a kid, just like I loved Adam West Batman as a kid. Both are painful to adult eyes though. They are just way too cheesy. I know comics were that cheesy back then, but they haven't aged well either.

The MCU are my favorite comic book movies. I am a hardcore DC fanboy and still prefer the MCU over Nolan's Batman. Like I said before, Nolan's Batman aren't good "comic book" movies. They take seriousness too far. The MCU never forgets its actually a comic book.
Old 11-21-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first Burton Batman movie never forgot it was based on a comic book or realism, that was absolutely true. Unfortunately, it forgot it was supposed to be an actual MOVIE, with a plot and story and everything that goes along with it. All style, zero substance. Fun, but empty.
Old 11-21-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The first Burton Batman movie never forgot it was based on a comic book or realism, that was absolutely true. Unfortunately, it forgot it was supposed to be an actual MOVIE, with a plot and story and everything that goes along with it. All style, zero substance. Fun, but empty.
And aged far worse than the Donner Superman films.
Old 11-21-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Whatever.

I'll ask the same question with the right job title...

Since when do they hire high school kids to be forensic scientists?

You're talking about people in their 30's through late 50's in real life, not a 19 year old.

That actor looks a full decade too young for that role. It's a joke. A bad one.
I agree. Looks more like what Smallville would have used for flash since all the justice league members they had (at least that I remember) other than Martian Manhunter and Hawkman were late teens early 20s
Old 11-21-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks young and are young are two very different things. Here is a list of characters on Smallville and the actors age when they first appeared:

Michael Rosenbaum (Lex): 29
Justin Hartley (Green Arrow): 29
Ryan Kennedy (Cosmic Boy): 29
Alaina Huffman (Black Canary): 28
Britt Irvin (Stargirl): 26
Serinda Swan (Zatanna): 25
Tom Welling (Clark): 24
David Gallagher (Wonder Twin 1): 24
Laura Vandervoort (Supergirl): 23
Alexz Johnson (Saturn Girl): 23
Lee Thompson Young(Cyborg): 22
Alan Ritchson(AC): 21
Allison Scagliotti (Wonder Twin 2): 19
Kyle Gallner(Impulse): 18
Calum Worthy (Lightning Lad): 18
Old 11-22-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And aged far worse than the Donner Superman films.
It's hard for me to watch the Keaton Batman after seeing Nolan's trilogy. I loved Jack as the Joker when I first saw it in 1988 but that performance has badly aged.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.