Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enjoy

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enjoy

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enj

Parenthood
Old 11-12-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enj

The Office (US). The first few episodes tried too hard to be the UK version. Once it found it's own way it got much better.
Old 11-12-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Another I thought of is Comic Book Men. For a period of time I was kind of sick of Kevin Smith and didn't care to see anything he was involved with. I've kind of gotten over that (still don't care for all his films) and actually enjoy the show. Plus he's really not on it all that much except for the in between segments where they're in the recording studio.
Old 11-12-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel - Always thought Buffy was for kids but I was flipping through the channels one night and came up the scene where Willow skins Warren in the woods and was intrigued so I ran out the next day and bought seasons one and two on DVD since those were the ony ones out at the time. I quickly found the rest of the episodes of the show and Angel by "other means" online. Watched season 7 of Buffy and 4 and 5 of Angel as they aired. Both are my two all time favorite shows and I have watched them both through more times than a person probably should.

Fringe - Thought it was an X-Files knock off. Watched it all over a week once the final season was released on DVD since my mom had them. Made me a huge fan and have also watched the BD sets of each season more times than a person probably should.
Old 11-12-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mad Men
The King of Queens
Sons of Anarchy
Old 11-12-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Parks and Rec: Not a big fan of "uncomfortable" humor, like the Office, and Parks and Rec started off that way. I tried it and didn't like it; it felt like it was trying to be the Office in a different setting. But people her or elsewhere, don't recall, convinced me that Season 1 sucked but it got much better, and different. So I skipped season 1, and now I really dig it.
Old 11-13-13, 12:01 AM

I think my issue with Breaking Bad was the image the promotions department was SO fixated on was Walter White in the desert with no pants on. It just looked like some lame, wacky dramedy that I never even bothered.

It was only after season 4 ended, and I wanted to find some show to watch with my now ex, and I was told to give it a shot. So I blind bought season 1, and the rest is history.

I hated Mr. Show and Portlandia initially though in retrospect, they are both shows you have to "get," you can't just watch 5 minutes and then decide.

I didn't much care for Arrested Development either (was in and out), until I actually started paying attention in season 2.
Old 11-13-13, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Archer - heard good things and caught up with season 1. Great show!

Castle - marathoned season 1 and loved it and watched it . Kind of a cheat in this thread because I don't watch it anymore but that is only because I am so far behind on it (I'm talking mid season 4) that I don't have the time to invest to catch up...

Revenge - marathoned first half of season 1 during its winter break and loved it. I didn't love where season 2 went (The Initiative) but I enjoy the show for what it is - fun soapy goodness

Orphan Black - I usually don't go for sci-fi shows but heard good things. Absolutely love this show and the depths it went to towards the end of the first season.

Shameless - didn't start watching this but my sister told me it was fun so I tuned it during mid season 1 and love the show. Yes, not as good as it was at the beginning but still enjoyable and has sporadic moments of greatness.

Orange it the New Black - wasn't going to watch but heard great things. Excellent show.

Last edited by conscience; 11-13-13 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 08:55 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Breaking Bad: had zero initial interest in a show with the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle as the lead playing some badass drug dealer. Good word of mouth here inspired me to catch up.
When the show premiered, my wife loved it and raved about it constantly. I watched the first episode and didn't like it at all. A few years later I bought the second season on DVD really cheap at some Black Friday sale and really liked it, and went back and started with the second episode of season one. What I've found is that, for me, S1 is barely tolerable and everything from S2 - end is pure genius. I realize this is a minority opinion but that's okay.
Old 11-13-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Friends
Old 11-13-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
When the show premiered, my wife loved it and raved about it constantly. I watched the first episode and didn't like it at all. A few years later I bought the second season on DVD really cheap at some Black Friday sale and really liked it, and went back and started with the second episode of season one. What I've found is that, for me, S1 is barely tolerable and everything from S2 - end is pure genius. I realize this is a minority opinion but that's okay.
Marie! That thieving ****!
Old 11-13-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

For me, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For reasosn already given.
And Smallville. I didn't avoid it, per se, but definitely didnt watch the first couple of seasons live. I can only guess that it conflicted with something else. Blind bought season 1 at Walmart in July one year, and ended up buying and watching all the seasons before the new season started that fall.
Old 11-13-13, 10:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought "Sleepy Hollow" was a show destined for failure and not worth my time. Now it is one of the very few shows I watch the night it is broadcast, rather than episodes accumulating on my TiVo for later...
Old 11-13-13, 08:09 PM

Comedy Bang Bang. I didn't really think much of it when I first saw it, but it has really grown on me. It's definitely an acquired taste, the writing is very uneven and quirky has to be your thing.

But Reggie Watts is awesome, they have a lot of great guests and cameos, the episode that was just on had Rashida Jones, Horatio Sanz, Dave Foley and Jack McBrayer. They did a musical episode with Casey Wilson and Paul F Thompkins that was great.

Last edited by misterchimpy; 11-14-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Veep - not that I wasn't interested, but it wasn't on my radar. When my friend told me it was good, I was reluctant, but then I ended up watching many episodes in a row. Still need to catch up on S2 though.

The Mindy Project is another one. Didn't think I'd be interested, but I started watching last season and really liked it. Again, I need to catch up though.
Old 11-13-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Good Wife (currently working my way through season two...I'm totally hooked) and Arrow (thanks to the praise on this board).
Old 11-14-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chuck - never really noticed it but my wife got me hooked on it and it became one of my favorites
Warehouse 13 - again never noticed it but my daughter liked it and lent me the DVD's on one of my business trips and although it is pretty low budget, it was a fun romp
Castle - I go to bed at 10:00 so I never watched it. Both the kids were into it and again lent me the DVD's. Now we DVR it every week and watch it on Friday nights.
Old 11-14-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I pretty much started Bates Motel just to see what a train wreck it would be.

Then the show messed everything up by being good.