Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enjoy

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enjoy

Old 11-12-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Thought this topic might be an interesting discussion and I've been curious to ask this for some time.

What show did you either not like the Pilot, initial episodes, dropped, or had no interest in it initially, but read good worth of mouth, reviews and now you're a fan of it.

I can name a few that are currently airing:

White Collar: Missed the entire 1st season. Was not on my radar at all, but when season 2 was about to premiere, I read a lot of good word of mouth and people here seemed to like it, so I DVR'd a season 1 marathon on USA and have been a fan since.

Nashville: A soap about country music? Initially had no interest, but Connie Britton got me interested and it has a guilty pleasure factor for me.

Mistresses: Aired on ABC this past summer. Trashy soap that has a guilty pleasure factor.

Scandal: Not really on my radar either, but I marathoned season 1 on Netflix and was addicted to it.

Shark Tank: Didn't really have any interest in watching another reality show, but caught a random episode last season and was really interested. Watched a bunch of repeats this summer and now it's a favorite.

Orphan Black: BBC America isn't really a channel I watch. Read good word of mouth here and on EW.com, DVR'd a re-air of the Pilot and loved it.
Old 11-12-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,016 Posts
Re: Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enj

Breaking Bad: had zero initial interest in a show with the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle as the lead playing some badass drug dealer. Good word of mouth here inspired me to catch up.

Mad Men: also had zero interest in a period show about the late 50's and 60's. Good reviews inspired me to blind buy season 1 on DVD. I was hooked and watched season 2 live.

Haven: hated the Pilot. Thought it was a ripoff of X-Files that was poorly acted and written. Stuck with it and once it developed this mythology it's in right now, it became really compelling. Definitely a case of something getting better when the writers got time to develop the stories.
Old 11-12-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Show you didn't like initially or had zero interest in, but gave a shot & now enj

Big Bang Theory.
Old 11-12-13, 11:55 AM

Person Of Interest: I started just before season 3 began. Thought it looked dumb and wouldn't last. I was wrong. Love it!
Old 11-12-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 541 Likes on 353 Posts

Fringe. My wife watched the first season and after 3 episodes I decided I wasn't interested in The X-Files: The Next Generation so I tuned out. But I heard good things, blind-bought the Season 1 Blu-ray when it came out and marathoned it. It wasn't until the last few episodes of the season that I got hooked but I never missed one again.
Old 11-12-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Breaking Bad: had zero initial interest in a show with the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle as the lead playing some badass drug dealer. Good word of mouth here inspired me to catch up.
That's my example, but it goes even further. I had no interest, so I didn't watch it initially. I'd never seen Malcomn in the Middle as I generally don't watch sitcoms. But then I started reading positive word of mouth, so I decided to finally give the show a try. And that's when the clouds parted and the celestial horns rang out, right? Not so fast. I stopped watching it in the first episode, somewhere around Walter being in the desert in his underwear. "Oh, this must be another 'funny' TV show people like that does nothing for me." So I just quit.

I don't even remember what made me give it another shot. I suspect it was just consistently positive feedback reading the threads. It somewhat amazes me that I could be so turned off by it initially and it turned into appointment TV for my family. It has happened to me with a few movies where I didn't like them initially, but grew to like them over time:

Reservoir Dogs - At the time, I commonly cited it as the worst movie I'd ever seen. The ridiculous amount of profanity had me wondering if the writer had the vocabulary of a 10 year old who'd just learned curse words. And the whole movie felt... pointless. It did serve two purposes, though:
1) Interspersed throughout all the profanity, there was actual dialog and personality in these characters. I still wouldn't rate it as excellent, but it's nowhere near as bad as I initially felt.
2) It got me ready to appreciate Pulp Fiction, which remains one of the 10 movies I'd want with me on a deserted island.

Fight Club - It's hard to remember my initial objections to this one. I remember I disliked it so much that I made a decision leaving the theater that I wouldn't buy the DVD. And this is for a guy who at the time bought pretty much all big release DVD's on DVD Tuesday. It had something to do with being turned off by the sheer brutality of watching people bludgeon themselves. And today I'm a UFC fan. Go figure.

Leaving Las Vegas - I found this one incredibly depressing upon initial viewing and said I'd never watch it again. But somehow, without seeing it again, it just ... settled into my consciousness. Then I accepted it as a factual account of someone who just isn't going to come back from the edge. And that his failings are his own. They have consequences, but they don't negate all of who he is.
Old 11-12-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Breaking Bad: had zero initial interest in a show with the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle as the lead playing some badass drug dealer.
Yeah, the premise sounded extremely unappealing to me so avoided it for the longest time. I think that adds to the satisfaction of the show; didn't want to watch it initially and wasn't expecting much.
Old 11-12-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 511 Likes on 363 Posts

Big Bang Theory and X-files. In both cases I tried random episodes and they just never did anything for me. After a couple years I ended up giving both a fair shake.
Old 11-12-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad are the first I think of. In both cases they were nearing the end of their run before I started watching but ended up seeing the finale live.
Old 11-12-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Elementary - I have seen almost every incarnation of Sherlock Holmes through the ages and liked the Robert Downey films and the Benedict Cumberbatch BBC series. When I heard CBS was doing it in the US with a female Watson, (played by freakin' Lucy Liu, no less) I refused to watch it. I happened to see an episode about halfway through season 1 and thought it was pretty good, so I started watching it. It is now probably my favorite network show and I have tried to evangelize to others about it.
Old 11-12-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 318 Posts

Haven: hated the Pilot. Thought it was a ripoff of X-Files that was poorly acted and written. Stuck with it and once it developed this mythology it's in right now, it became really compelling. Definitely a case of something getting better when the writers got time to develop the stories.
Haven showed dramatic improvement after its first 7 or 8 episodes. That first season struggled with the characters and how they related to each other. It was a struggling episodic procedural and the only reason I gave it another chance was the loose tie to Stephen King. I'm glad I did, because Haven has become a vastly better show and one of the more enjoyable ones on cable.

The writers scrapped most of what wasn't working in that first season and refined the characters beyond normal tinkering.
Old 11-12-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 907 Likes on 709 Posts

There are a bunch of shows that I thought were pretty terrible early on, until they figured out what they wanted to do and hit their stride. For instance, I thought both the Office and Parks and Rec had terrible first seasons and much improved second seasons.
Old 11-12-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Psych

Saw a ton of ads for it and always knew the premise, it just sounded stupid to me. Once it came on Netflix two friends told me how enjoyable it is. So I gave it a go and I enjoy it a lot. It's nothing special but I enjoy popping on an episode here and there.
Old 11-12-13, 02:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd have to say The Mindy Project. I've watched it from the beginning (and liked the pilot), but going in I wasn't planning on watching or terribly excited about it. I think I caught it on a whim (right place at the right time) and have been a fan ever since.
Old 11-12-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Scrubs.
Old 11-12-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Elementary - I have seen almost every incarnation of Sherlock Holmes through the ages and liked the Robert Downey films and the Benedict Cumberbatch BBC series. When I heard CBS was doing it in the US with a female Watson, (played by freakin' Lucy Liu, no less) I refused to watch it. I happened to see an episode about halfway through season 1 and thought it was pretty good, so I started watching it. It is now probably my favorite network show and I have tried to evangelize to others about it.
Almost exactly what I was going to write; except it is not my favorite but one I will continue to watch.

Law and Order SVU. Never really saw it in the early days then they cancelled L&O so I watched it by default.

Pawn Stars my dad got me into it last Christmas but I have pretty much lost interest in it again.
Old 11-12-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 304 Likes on 240 Posts

Seinfeld and Dexter for me.
Old 11-12-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Breaking Bad and Supernatural.
Old 11-12-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 231 Likes on 186 Posts

H50. But that's because I took it seriously at first then just decided to enjoy it for its comedic absurdity.

I don't think Breaking Bad nor Mad Men work as answers for me. I just didn't know about them when they first came out.
Old 11-12-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Eastbound & Down for sure. I watched the first two episodes and thought it was among the worst things I've ever seen. I found it extremely unfunny and farcical to the point of abject stupidity.

Then, one lazy weekend one of the HBOs played a marathon of the first three seasons and I was glued to it. I guess over that session I began to appreciate what the show was going for and some of the subtleties by extremities that it was working. Now I love it, and preach its virtues to anyone who will listen.
Old 11-12-13, 06:30 PM

Received 335 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
+1

I ignored this show last year. But after reading all the great reviews I decided to give it a try. I was underwhelmed by the first couple episodes and almost dropped it. About halfway through the first season, the characters all developed great chemistry. Now it's one of the 3-4 shows I can't wait to watch every week.
Old 11-12-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
+1

I ignored this show last year. But after reading all the great reviews I decided to give it a try. I was underwhelmed by the first couple episodes and almost dropped it. About halfway through the first season, the characters all developed great chemistry. Now it's one of the 3-4 shows I can't wait to watch every week.
Elementary is a great show, practically the only weekly procedural I continue to watch these days. The chemistry between Lucy Liu and Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock is even better than the BBC's Sherlock.
Old 11-12-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Babylon 5 - Didn't start regularly watching the show until Season 3, and even then, about the middle of it. I caught the pilot movie, but wasn't sold, and since it wasn't on a major network at the time, was not easy to track down when it would be airing. A friend who also liked as Sci-Fi, thought I would really like the show, so I found out when it was going to be on, and caught "War Without End (Part 1)", as my first episode. Worked for me this time. I then had to catch the rest of the third season in mid session reruns, and find a friend who had the first two seasons taped to VHS, to see those. Ah, the days before DVR, and when there was no such thing as "TV on DVD" releases.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel - Like a lot of people, I saw the original movie, and thought it was kind of cheesy. Didn't see how it would translate any better into a show. After dozens of friends told me they thought I would love it, or were surprised I wasn't watching it already, I finally gave it a shot. Turned out they were all very right. This was right after the fifth season ended, but luckily, right when it went into syndication on FX, and the first season also came out on DVD, so I was able to catch up quick. Also, at the time, we had no WB station in our area, so the episodes up to this point, had only aired on our local UPN station on different nights and times than they would normally air, making it harder to keep up with. I was soon a fan of Angel, as well.

The O.C. - Someone gave me the first season on DVD as a Christmas present. It may have even been as a joke. It sat on the shelf unopened for a good six or so months, when one summer day, through sheer boredom, and nothing else being on TV, I decided to crack it open and give it a try before selling it back used. I didn't think this particular brand of teen drama was going to be my bag, but I was hooked by the end of the first episode. It was funny, moving, as much about the adults as the kids, and had great music featured in it. Watched the whole season in less than a week, and serendipitously, the Second season was released on DVD the week after.

Six Feet Under - Didn't watch it when it aired, only started to because my wife wanted to check it out. Started Netflix-ing the DVDs, and even then, I wasn't as initially sold on it as she was. Pretty soon, though, we were cramming in four or so episodes a night.

Scrubs - Chalk this one up to my wife, too.

Friday Night Lights - A co-worker I talked TV with thought I would like the show, as I liked The O.C. for somewhat similar reasons. Said I really didn't care about football all that much, but he told me he would lend me the first disc, and if I wasn't sold after that, I wouldn't be. I was sold after the first Episode.

Fringe - Yet another show that I didn't start watching until after the First Season. Think this one was for a few reasons. There were competing shows I was more interested in on at the same time, and I also believe it changed airing nights/times during the first season. I know I caught at least one episode of the First Season when it aired, but it wasn't until I saw what was the second or third episode of Season Two, because nothing else was on that night, really, that I became totally hooked on the show. It went on to become one of my favorite shows, ever.

Sleepy Hollow - This would be the most recent one. The tie in with the initial producers/co-creators of Fringe (plus writers of the last two Star Trek movies, and more) should have been enough to initially peak my interest, but didn't. The premise, or what I thought it was, didn't seem like something I would care about. Then I read a short article about it, and it made me want to re-investigate it. The show had already aired four episodes at this point, but it was easy to catch up thanks to prime time on demand. I was hooked about 15 minutes in. If you haven't watched the show, and are thinking about it, it should go without saying, read the following spoiler at your own risk.
Spoiler:
When minutes into the pilot episode, you kill off what you think is going to be one the major characters, and one played by the likes of Clancy Brown, no less, than you've captured my attention. If the show runners are willing to pull that kind of move, I want to see where things will go next.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-12-13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best example for me is Buffy. It had a lot going against it: The name, the movie, it was a CW teen/chick show, and the bits I saw of the first season weren't all that good. I didn't give it another shot until the 3rd season because it was getting good buzz.

Veronica Mars was another one for some of the same reasons, except in that case the pilot hooked me.
Old 11-12-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 589 Likes on 482 Posts

I almost ditched Mad Men. I had bought the first season for a pretty low price on Blu-ray one year on Black Friday and started watching it but thought it was really slow and boring. I didn't get drawn back into it for quite a while but after reading reviews online about how great it was and another sale on the second and third season Blu-rays I decided to purchase them and give the show another chance. I liked it a lot more the second time around and felt like it picked up quite a bit after season one.

Dexter (although I don't like the show as much now), I watched the pilot originally and it didn't do much for me and I didn't bother watching more of the series for a couple months. I had gotten it on DVD for a low price so I decided to go back to it later and wound up marathoning the first season in a few days. Pretty much enjoyed the series up until the last season when the show just went to total shit and really kind of soured me on a good chunk of the show. Really wish there was a way that seasons five through eight could just be retconned and the show would do one last "real" final season after the fourth season that brought it to a more satisfying conclusion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.