Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: The Middle -- The 3rd Season Thread -- Premieres 9/21/11 (ABC)

I rarely watch this show because, although I like the parents, I can't stand the kids. I think it's because I actually know kids like that so it's too "real" for me to be fun.

I tuned in for the Ray Romano reunion scenes. I liked bits and pieces of this but, in the end, I feel comfortable with my decision to not watch this show.
Old 11-16-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Middle -- "The Play" -- 11/16/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Norm Macdonald Guest Stars as Mike's Brother, Rusty

"The Play" - Frankie is thrilled when she learns that the Orson Community Theater is putting on a production of "The Wizard of Oz," and that kids don't need to audition to be munchkins, as they will be automatically cast - which is a perfect scenario for a hapless Sue. But things quickly go awry when Frankie is cast in a singing role and learns the director is not happy with Sue's performance and may cut her from the play. Meanwhile, Brick asks his unreliably quirky Uncle Rusty (Norm Macdonald) to attend his school's Special Friends Day - with disastrous results -- on "The Middle," WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Read more: Listings - MIDDLE, THE on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1dv29BpJI

Probably one of the most under-appreciated comedies in this forum. This season has been really funny so far.
Old 11-17-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Middle -- "The Play" -- 11/16/11

Obviously Frankie and the play director have never seen Maggie on PanAm for actual crazy eyes.

"Dad let us drive, we turned out okay."
"You wanna rephrase that?"
"uh...'Dad let we drive, us turned out okay'? Is that what you're looking for, Grammar Police??"
Norm Macdonald and his delivery

It would be fun if it turned out Uncle Rusty was the one who helped Brick cross the bridge in a moving vehicle.

This show, Suburgatory, Modern Family is essential viewing for me on Weds. Still trying to warmup to HE this season, or maybe I'm just waiting for pennycan to return.
Old 11-17-11, 11:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The Middle -- "The Play" -- 11/16/11

Norm was awesome, hope he comes back.
Old 11-23-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

The Middle -- "Thanksgiving III" -- 11/23/11

By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"Thanksgiving III" - Frankie's parents, Pat (Marsha Mason) and Tag (Jerry Van Dyke), invite the Hecks to spend a few days at their house to celebrate Thanksgiving together. But the festivities begin to fall apart quickly when Frankie's sister, Janet (Molly Shannon), and her family also join in, and soon the siblings are at each other's throats over their widely differing parenting techniques. Meanwhile, Mike tries to offer some advice to Axl on how to pick up girls when he witnesses his son trying to impress a pretty mini-mart cashier - and fails miserably; Brick attempts to prove his innocence when he is accused by Janet of damaging her daughter's expensive toy; and Sue is stoked when Frankie, Pat and Janet invite her to take part in their gossip sessions, on "The Middle," WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 23 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.
Old 11-24-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Middle -- "Thanksgiving III" -- 11/23/11

Why do they keep doing the grocery shopping at the Circle K?
Old 11-24-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe it's the only store open on Thanksgiving?
Old 11-24-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved this episode!

Brick: "Why don't we play librarian? I'll sit here and read and you come back in 6 hours and tell me were closing."
Old 11-24-11, 08:12 PM

I'm surprised to see that Jerry Van Dyke is still alive let alone getting roles.

Guess he bested Tom Poston after all.
Old 12-07-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

The Middle -- ""A Christmas Gift" -- 12/07/11

By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"A Christmas Gift" - On a tipsy whim - and against Mike's wishes - Frankie decides to throw a Christmas Eve party at the house; Mike buys Frankie a much needed new dishwasher for Christmas, but has a hard time keeping it a secret when she begs him to replace the old one before the party; Sue calls on Reverend TimTom to explain the meaning of Christmas to Brick when he reads the Bible and begins to question it; and Axl gets annoyed with Bob when he tries too hard to be cool in order to befriend him while working together on a Christmas tree lot, on "The Middle," WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 7 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.
Old 12-08-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Middle -- ""A Christmas Gift" -- 12/07/11

It's too bad not many people are watching this show. It has really found a groove and is laugh out loud funny week in and week out. Loved last night's episode. Reminded me of what's going on around here. Trying to keep something a secret for Christmas and everyone wants to get one beforehand. Axel and Sue are some great characters. Love this show every week.
Old 12-08-11, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
It's too bad not many people are watching this show.
I mean no offense but I gave this show a try because the janitor is in it.

- The mom is a bitch (no surprise coming from Patrica Heaton who bitches it up no matter what she does or even as herself)

- The older boy is an annoying weiner

- The daughter is so ugly I can't eat while watching the show

- The little boy seems like a machine that was built in the "cute and weird' factory - I swear I think I've seen the same or perhaps similar kid on TV for the last 20 years.

- And then the janitor...man I miss Scrubs.
Old 12-08-11, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

- The mom is a bitch (no surprise coming from Patrica Heaton who bitches it up no matter what she does or even as herself)
She was a major bitch at the party.

Still, great episode. I enjoy the show. It's got some good laughs.
Old 10-09-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

SUE GETS A JOB AT A LOCAL MALL EATERY IN ORDER TO BUY HERSELF A CAR, FRANKIE AND MIKE ARE CALLED INTO BRICK'S PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AND TOLD THAT HE HASN'T ATTENDED ANY OF HIS CLASSES, AND AXL BECOMES FED UP WITH HIS COLLEGE ROOMMATE AND BEGINS TO SPEND HIS NIGHTS AT HOME, ON ABC'S "THE MIDDLE"

Rachel Dratch Guest Stars as Principal Barker

"The Potato" - After Frankie and Mike are forced to return the church van when it's discovered that their car has been repaired, Sue - who has been driving the other car - begins to freak out because she'll have to start taking the bus again. But when her parents tell her that she could get her own car if she got a job, Sue ends up working as a potato girl at a local mall eatery. Meanwhile, Frankie and Mike are called into Brick's principal's (Rachel Dratch) office and are informed that he has not attended any of his classes - and much to the family's dismay, Axl begins to spend his nights back home when he becomes fed up with having to deal with his horrible college roommate, on "The Middle," WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"The Middle" stars Patricia Heaton as Frankie, Neil Flynn as Mike, Charlie McDermott as Axl, Eden Sher as Sue and Atticus Shaffer as Brick.

Guest starring are Rachel Dratch as Principal Barker, Dierk Torsek as Reverend Hayver, Tommy Bechtold as Kenny, Jimmy Bellinger as manager and Jessie Lande as Beth.

"The Potato" was written by Tim Hobert and directed by Lee Shallat Chemel.

Thought I would throw up at least 1 thread for this. I know this show doesn't really get talked about here, but I find it can be LOL funny many times. It's a really underrated family sitcom.

Tonight is episode 3
Old 10-09-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

The Hecks are more like my family while growing up, and I have been a fan since the first season. Gotta wonder 5 seasons in, and you would think by now Sue would get her braces off.
Old 10-09-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Prefer this to Modern Family. Dysfunctional but fun and not nearly as mean as Goldbergs
Old 10-09-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love this show - it is more genuine

Modern Family is over the top
and the Goldbergs seem to 'rushed' or trying to 'cram' 80's down your throat.

The Hecks are just trying to get by with what they have - and that is what makes it funny and genuine... kind of like the early years of Rosanne.
Old 10-23-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've mostly given up on Modern Family. And whether it's the writing/acting ability, I find that many of the kids cast on this season's freshman shows - like The Goldbergs, Mom, Michael J Fox - really come off as abrasive and hella annoying!

This show doesn't strive to be 'edgy' but clicked right from the getgo and continues to fly under the radar. Love the family dynamics and it is never too mean-spirited. I just wanna hug The Heck family. It's a classic in my book.

The cast will be on a ABC media blitz today - Good Morning America, The View, The Chew - promoting the heck out of tonite's episode. Congrats to reaching that #100 milestone!
Old 10-23-13, 07:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't believe this show has been on that long. I feel like we should only be in season three or so.

Anyway, this is a show I don't really think that I like -- I find all of the characters except Mike and Brick to be obnoxious, the plots sitcom-cliche, and the setting a Hollywood executive's stereotype of what "flyover country" is really like. And yet I find myself watching every week, so really -- what the heck is going on inside my masochistic brain that keeps me coming back to this show?
Old 10-23-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
And yet I find myself watching every week, so really -- what the heck is going on inside my masochistic brain that keeps me coming back to this show?
I see what you did there.
Old 11-14-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know this show isn't popular on this forum, but week after week I find myself laughing at this show more consistently than Modern Family. In fact after The Middle, then Back In The Game, Modern Family is falling third on my list both literally and figuratively.

Last night Axel once again trying to get his grade school brother to tutor him was classic. Great episode. Loved the dog that growled at everyone else but Frankie.
Old 11-14-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Last night Axel once again trying to get his grade school brother to tutor him was classic. Great episode. Loved the dog that growled at everyone else but Frankie.
This may have been the best episode of the series. Sue on the volleyball court had me
Old 11-15-13, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is another show i never expected to like. my mom loves it and has it on when i get home Wednesday nights. forced to watch i ended up really liking it. atticus freaked me out at first with his dwarf like body.

added bonus that axel's high school girlfriend took her top off on Shameless.

the thing that won me over was how the set looks like a real house. not filthy, but stuff kinda...laying around, things piled up here and there, a washing machine held together with duct tape.
Old 11-16-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Sue on the volleyball court had me
Floorboard!
Old 11-16-13, 11:24 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I've laughed at every episode I've watched and I, too, can't believe it's already the fifth season!

I couldn't stand Everybody Loves Raymond but Heaton is excellent in this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.