DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mom (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Starring Anna Faris & Allison Janney (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613754-mom-cbs-series-thread-starring-anna-faris-allison-janney.html)

hanshotfirst1138 09-30-13 12:32 PM

Re: Mom (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Starring Anna Faris & Allison Janney

Crass, vulgar, juvenile, lowest common-denominator humor, but I'm not going to say I didn't laugh a few times. I stuck with Two Broke Girls for like three or four episodes because I found Kat Dennings attractive, at least this isn't that horrendous. But that sets a low bar.

jacob_b 09-30-13 03:24 PM

Had a few good laughs and might turn in again just to see what happens next. Probably won't finish the season though.

hanshotfirst1138 09-30-13 09:51 PM

Well, it's better than Two Broke Girls, at least Janney and Faris are kind of funny. Don't know how much longer I'll stick with it, though episode 2 had a nice little emotional bit at the end. Mostly unimpressive though, despite the two strong leads, I'll stick around a bit longer for them. I spent 16 years in Catholic school, I though "clitoris" and "fellatio" were cities in Italy until I was like 20, so I'm slightly sympathetic with the last joke :p.

JimRochester 10-05-13 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11845801)
:lol: What a fucked up family!

I got a few laughs out of it. But, yeah it's a typical Chuck Lorre sitcom. Mostly manufactured humor. I get that there is supposed to be an underlying message about Christy and her Mom trying to work out their issues.

:thumbsup: I did like the Alan Harper cameo in the beginning. Pretty clever cross promotion by CBS.

It was still better than 2 Broke Girls but yes these people are FUBAR.

Giles 10-07-13 08:59 PM

really this is a comedy? - who writes this shit... I don't know what's worse the lame humor or the audience's over-laughter.

hanshotfirst1138 10-07-13 09:59 PM

I know I'm a horrible hypocritical anti-intellectual for liking this show, but I laughed a few time during tonight's episode. I'm on board, at least for the moment.

DJariya 10-19-13 07:21 AM

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/cbs-...season-orders/

Picked up for a full 22 episode season

JimRochester 10-19-13 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11864085)
really this is a comedy? - who writes this shit... I don't know what's worse the lame humor or the audience's over-laughter.

That's been my thought on 2 Broke Girls. I think the delivery and the chemistry are horrible, at least Mom has someone with a smoother more natural delivery in Anna Faris. My two least favorite shows on TV are getting big numbers so I know I'm the wrong one here.

I've been DVR'ing this and it has had it's moments. I don't mind the premise of economically disadvantaged, lower middle class, people. That's been the staple of sit-com forever. But totally fucked up drunken sluts and louts are a little tough to like or empathize with sometimes.

skatefan20 11-12-13 01:27 AM

I've been watching this to kill the time waiting for the much funnier Hostages.
I think Anna is goofy good in the stupid Scary Movie series, The House Bunny, and the Dictator. I get that her character is a harried single mother & recovering EtoHic with a lot on her plate. But here, she and her delivery don't work for me...Anna comes off a bit forced. A MUCH better underrated Chuck Lorre show about a recovering single mom: Grace Under Fire (maybe it helped that the main actress on that show was still battling demons. :|)

The one thing kepping Mom afloat: Allison Janney. She's terrific. I think midway they should make her the central character - no need for a title change.

dex14 10-30-14 07:09 AM

2nd season premiere tonight.

windom 01-15-15 08:33 PM

If you haven't watched tonight's episode of "Mom" let me warn you...the preview for next week's episode seems to pretty much give away a very major event happening next week. I think it would have been so much better without any advance warning. Ugh, CBS...I don't expect stuff like that in previews for your comedy shows!

boogieman03 01-15-15 10:41 PM

I thought the same thing. :(

TGM 01-16-15 05:04 AM

I don't watch the show but am intrigued what plot point you could be talking about... care to put it in spoiler tags for me?

windom 01-22-15 08:22 PM

Well, they did basically give it away in last week's preview.

Here's what happened:
Spoiler:
Alvin had a heart attack while performing oral sex on Bonnie and died. Can a heart attack really kill that fast though? Not sure...

It would have actually been a good surprise if they hadn't spoiled it.

SuperJim88 01-23-15 01:27 PM

It'd have been a good surprise?! Someone dying, even if it's a TV character, is a good surprise? I thought they made a horrible decision to kill off a character in a sitcom. Death is not funny. Why would they think writing in death, funeral, eulogy would be funny when they can easily say Alvin walked away or something much easier to deal with. I felt pretty manipulated. The episode before they just formally welcomed Alvin into the family, then next kill him off in such a brutal fashion.

mnementh 01-29-15 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 (Post 12373752)
Death is not funny.

Death by cunnilingus is funny.

The show has dealt with cancer, adoption, and alcoholism. Do you expect it to be a light-hearted sitcom?

windom 01-29-15 01:03 PM

By "a good surprise", I meant that it would be surprising event that would be pretty much unexpected from a sitcom. It would have been "good" in the sense that something surprising or shocking on a TV show makes for "good" TV. Unfortunately, knowing in advance what was going to happen made it not as good TV for me.

hdnmickey 01-29-15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh (Post 12379626)
Death by cunnilingus is funny.

The show has dealt with cancer, adoption, and alcoholism. Do you expect it to be a light-hearted sitcom?

Agreed. Count me in as somebody that had it spoiled by the previews the previous week. So lame. But that's on me for watching them.

But in a way we sohuld have known it was coming. He aready had one attack and they were having them get too close to fast...

dex14 11-02-17 06:44 AM

BONNIE GETS COLD FEET WHEN CONSIDERING HER FUTURE WITH ADAM, AND CHRISTY RISKS FAILING AN IMPORTANT TEST IN ORDER TO HELP A FELLOW ALCOHOLIC, ON THE FIFTH SEASON PREMIERE OF "MOM," THURSDAY, NOV. 2

Missi Pyle Returns as Natasha, the Birth Mother of Jill's Foster Daughter

"Twinkle Lights and Grandma Shoes" - Bonnie gets cold feet when considering her future with Adam, and Christy risks failing an important test in order to help a fellow alcoholic, on the fifth season premiere of MOM, Thursday, Nov. 2 (9:01-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Missi Pyle returns as Natasha, the birth mother of Jill's foster daughter.

REGULAR CAST:

Anna Faris (Christy)
Allison Janney (Bonnie)
Mimi Kennedy (Marjorie)
Jaime Pressly (Jill)
Beth Hall (Wendy)
William Fichtner (Adam)

GUEST CAST:

Missi Pyle (Natasha)
Hermie Castillo (Kenny)
Steven Banks (Doug)

STORY BY: Nick Bakay and Gemma Baker

TELEPLAY BY: Adam Chase, Marco Pennette and Anne Flett-Giordano

DIRECTED BY: James Widdoes

hdnmickey 11-02-17 08:11 AM

We will be watching. Mostly for William Fichtner, but also to see how the show possibly changes given what has happened to Anna Faris since last season.

windom 11-02-17 11:03 AM

Something happened to Anna Faris?

jjcool 11-02-17 12:04 PM

Maybe referring to her split from Chris Pratt?

dex14 11-02-17 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13196504)
We will be watching. Mostly for William Fichtner, but also to see how the show possibly changes given what has happened to Anna Faris since last season.

What would that have to do with anything? It's acting, not real life.

whotony 11-02-17 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13196753)
What would that have to do with anything? It's acting, not real life.

Th her divorce isn’t going to impact anything in this show.

Plus that didn’t exactly happen to her.

windom 02-05-19 05:13 PM

Renewed for 2 more seasons: https://deadline.com/2019/02/mom-ren...bs-1202549041/