DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mom (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Starring Anna Faris & Allison Janney (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613754-mom-cbs-series-thread-starring-anna-faris-allison-janney.html)

OldBoy 09-04-20 02:43 PM

Re: Mom (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Starring Anna Faris & Allison Janney

Anna Faris leaving show.

Daytripper 09-04-20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13800320)
Anna Faris leaving show.

How can this show go on without her? Time to call it a day. It's time anyway. The series ran out of steam two seasons ago.

Coral 09-04-20 10:59 PM

The show is based around Faris and Janney, without both it really makes little sense. This will be like Laverne & Shirley after Cindy Williams left.

Daytripper 09-05-20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13800528)
The show is based around Faris and Janney, without both it really makes little sense. This will be like Laverne & Shirley after Cindy Williams left.

Exactly! I was trying to think of another show where this happened. Perfect example. In another newsgroup people were saying it's like "Roseanne" when Barr left (well, fired). No, because she was the star with a stronger ensemble cast. To continue without Faris will be pointless and desperate.

TheBang 09-05-20 02:24 AM

According to that renewal link above, Faris signed a new 2-year contract, for Seasons 7 and 8. I wonder why she decided to leave one season early (and why they let her). I guess when you're a big enough star and have a good reason for wanting to leave, they'll let you out of the contract rather than have you make a big public stink about it. There's obviously more going on here than what they've said though.

Edit: I guess Covid could have something to do with it also. With production shutdown and the future uncertain (production startups and shutdowns), maybe she just wanted to move on.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-05-20 05:01 AM

I thought Faris needed this show more than Janey but Faris is the one that leaves.

Unless there is another sitcom there is not a big market for comedy movies which she specialized in the early to mid 2000's and she might regret leaving the show.

Count Dooku 09-05-20 08:40 AM

Interesting that when an actor leaves a job like this everyone speculates on their reasons for leaving, but no one just considers the practical.

People work to make money.

Faris has been paid $20 million dollars (or more) over the run of Mom. Plus, she divorced Chris Pratt post-Guardians, so what was that settlement like?

She is 44 and she doesn't need money, so why work? Maybe, unlike so many people, quarantine has made her realize that she LOVES being home and not having to go anywhere or be on a schedule.

And she has a young son. Maybe she just wants to be a mom instead of being on Mom. (see what I did there?)

TGM 09-05-20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13800597)
Interesting that when an actor leaves a job like this everyone speculates on their reasons for leaving, but no one just considers the practical.

People work to make money.

Faris has been paid $20 million dollars (or more) over the run of Mom. Plus, she divorced Chris Pratt post-Guardians, so what was that settlement like?

She is 44 and she doesn't need money, so why work? Maybe, unlike so many people, quarantine has made her realize that she LOVES being home and not having to go anywhere or be on a schedule.

And she has a young son. Maybe she just wants to be a mom instead of being on Mom. (see what I did there?)

I don't watch the show, so I don't really care in this particular case, but if she signed a contract I think it's shitty she's breaking it, regardless of the reason, but especially if it because of what you hypothesize. It's not fair to the other cast and crew, or to the fans, especially if it means that the series can't wrap up in a satisfying way.

Count Dooku 09-05-20 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13800598)
I don't watch the show, so I don't really care in this particular case, but if she signed a contract I think it's shitty she's breaking it, regardless of the reason, but especially if it because of what you hypothesize. It's not fair to the other cast and crew, or to the fans, especially if it means that the series can't wrap up in a satisfying way.

I have only seen random episodes of the show in reruns, and they seemed to be focused on the ensemble of women friends led by Alison Janney, rather than being some sort of family dynamic sitcom.
If she just does not want to continue as a regular on the series, but is leaving without acrimony, there is nothing stopping her from returning as a guest star.
Alison Janney has an Oscar and seven Emmys, including two for Mom. Lorre probably feels okay about squeezing out two more seasons with her in the lead.
And I think this show has people that watch it, not fans.

Daytripper 09-05-20 11:40 AM

Like most TV series (comedies and dramas), "Mom" didn't really hit it's stride until the second year IMO. But seasons 2-5 were were quite good. Even laugh out loud hilarious at times. But the writing got pretty bad after that. Could be another reason why she's leaving, who knows. It was still a ratings hit. But it's just not a very good show anymore. I wish her all the best wherever she lands. Another TV show, movies, or just enjoying time at home. I've always liked her, very talented young lady.

GoldenJCJ 09-05-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 13800562)
According to that renewal link above, Faris signed a new 2-year contract, for Seasons 7 and 8. I wonder why she decided to leave one season early (and why they let her). I guess when you're a big enough star and have a good reason for wanting to leave, they'll let you out of the contract rather than have you make a big public stink about it. There's obviously more going on here than what they've said though.

That might be true but how does that apply in Anna Faris’ case? ;)

Seriously though, her biggest hit is probably The House Bunny and that was 12 years ago. She’s not exactly George Clooney leaving ER.

Count Dooku 09-05-20 12:35 PM

It's going to be tough enough running a TV production with COVID restrictions and concerns still in place, why add onto that a main member of the cast that does not want to be there?

Though this news just came out, they have known she would be gone for months already, and have written the scripts accordingly.

boogieman03 09-05-20 04:54 PM

Sad she’s leaving, but after thinking about it, it really has shifted to Janey being the lead of the show.

AaronHernandez 09-05-20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13800683)
That might be true but how does that apply in Anna Faris’ case? ;)

Seriously though, her biggest hit is probably The House Bunny and that was 12 years ago. She’s not exactly George Clooney leaving ER.

Even if Hollywood has no lead offers left for her,she is financially safe so she could always do Microbudget and Indy films where she is an established enough name where offers would exist. That is assuming she even wants to work anytime soon

RichC2 09-05-20 09:09 PM

I assume she had planned to do season 8 as a final one and had something new lined up, and then the filming schedule got shit canned when covid hit. Can't believe the show has been on that long.

Coral 09-06-20 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13800610)
I have only seen random episodes of the show in reruns, and they seemed to be focused on the ensemble of women friends led by Alison Janney, rather than being some sort of family dynamic sitcom.

Right, but 95% of the time the other cast members (either individually or together) are interacting with Christy or Bonnie (or both). There are very few scenes in which Christy and Bonnie aren't present... and of what there is, it's very short. So having everything based around Bonnie or getting some/all the other cast members to pick up the slack is too much of a change after 7 seasons. It's been done before in other shows where major changes occur after a good run, but it never works out.

Count Dooku 09-06-20 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13801017)
Right, but 95% of the time the other cast members (either individually or together) are interacting with Christy or Bonnie (or both). There are very few scenes in which Christy and Bonnie aren't present... and of what there is, it's very short. So having everything based around Bonnie or getting some/all the other cast members to pick up the slack is too much of a change after 7 seasons. It's been done before in other shows where major changes occur after a good run, but it never works out.

If by that you mean the show is never as good as it was before, okay.

If by that you mean the show does not continue to draw an audience and make money, you are wrong.
Charlie Sheen and Ashton Kutcher have been on three such shows: Spin City, That 70s Show, and Two and a Half Men.

Daytripper 11-06-20 12:25 PM

Yikes indeed. I watched it too, and it felt really off without Faris. Even more so than "The Conners" without Roseanne. But at least that show somehow worked on it's own. I can't see this one going on. The whole premise was that mother and daughter relationship and their friends from AA.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/11/0...tar-anna-faris

Giantrobo 11-06-20 02:16 PM

Haven't watched the premiere yet but...

Oddly enough I just got hooked on this show only a few weeks ago after watching a few 2017 re-runs on the Paramount channel. Was shocked at how much I liked it and have been watching eps since. Anyway, I always knew about MOM but never checked it out though i LOVE me some Allison Janney. I like Farris but I'm ok with her leaving because to me Allison is best part and i love the other AA women who they added.

Daytripper 11-06-20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13837864)
Haven't watched the premiere yet but...

Oddly enough I just got hooked on this show only a few weeks ago after watching a few 2017 re-runs on the Paramount channel. Was shocked at how much I liked it and have been watching eps since. Anyway, I always knew about MOM but never checked it out though i LOVE me some Allison Janney. I like Farris but I'm ok with her leaving because to me Allison is best part and i love the other AA women who they added.

I was a late bloomer as well finding this show. And thought it was really funny. The writing has gotten pretty bad though starting around season 6. I felt the same as you about Faris leaving. But you haven't seen the premiere yet. It's just not the same. I'll keep watching, but I have a bad feeling this could be the last season of the show.

Mike86 11-06-20 02:28 PM

I’ve watched the show on occasion. It always sucks when any show loses a leading actress or actor. Especially a show like this where the mother-daughter relationship is the entire premise.

rw2516 11-07-20 06:48 AM

Pretty bad. Like the pilot episode of a spin off. Not just Faris being gone. The writing is different. No edge to the humor. Reminded me The Golden Girls.

Coral 11-07-20 06:04 PM

Pretty lame that Faris couldn't even show up for the minimal season premiere so the audience and cast can send her off. Doing it off-screen loses all impact.
At least America Ferrera gave Superstore a couple episodes before leaving.

Just realized that two female leads that left their sitcom this season (in the same week as well) have the initials A.F.

I never found Allison Janney attractive (great actress though), but in this season premiere she looks downright scary to me.

Daytripper 11-07-20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13838274)
Pretty bad. Like the pilot episode of a spin off. Not just Faris being gone. The writing is different. No edge to the humor. Reminded me The Golden Girls.

Huh!? I hope you meant it reminded you of the "The Golden Girls" spin off, "The Golden Palace". Because "The Golden Girls" might not have been edgy, but it was hilarious.

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13838779)
Pretty lame that Faris couldn't even show up for the minimal season premiere so the audience and cast can send her off. Doing it off-screen loses all impact.
At least America Ferrera gave Superstore a couple episodes before leaving.

I never found Allison Janney attractive (great actress though), but in this season premiere she looks downright scary to me.

Agree on both of these. Seems like there might be more to Faris leaving. And yes, I thought Janney looked quite odd on this episode. It was mostly her hair and high forehead. She's a good actress, but had a few cringe worthy moments. Like when she dropped to her knees to beg that one character to stay at the slumber party when she learned about her heart condition. Woof! That was bad.

rduncan 11-08-20 09:44 AM

I guess I'm easily entertained (I am) and sort of an outlier to the rest of the group here but I thought it was fine. I had difficulty that the Character got a full ride to that law school but once established they never really have to mention it again. I agree with the comment above about some cringe worthy acting but, for now, will blame that on Directing and early episode after a long break between seasons.