Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the series Finale?
Yes, despite an awful/bad season, I was satisfied.
10.92%
Yes and I'm in the minority and thought season 8 was good
5.88%
No, I'm in the minority and enjoyed season 8, but the ending sucked.
10.92%
No, the season was terrible, the ending was terrible. So disappointed.
49.58%
Honestly, I just don't care anymore.
22.69%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Originally Posted by stopgap
This is actually some pretty sound advice. In hindsight of course.
I disagree. Imagine watching that season 4 finale and stopping right there knowing there were more episodes. An interesting idea in theory but I imagine it would be impossible in practice for almost anyone watching for the first time. The best thing is to prepare yourself for the fact that the next three seasons are pretty much unanimously considered inferior but still not unanimously-loathed like season 8.

Originally Posted by Raul3
The first half of season 8 was actually good. The best Dexter episodes since Season 5 or so. But then it went really bad. Season 7 bad or even worse.
I think it's pretty generous to give half the season a pass. As far as I'm concerned there were three positive things about Season 8: Deb's post-Season 7 storyline, Charlotte Rampling as Vogel and Dexter's Boy Wonder sidekick. At best you could argue that the Deb one was actually handled with any success, albeit with a boring "I'm OK and everything is back to normal" resolution.. They definitely dropped the ball with the other two, and as I think back on all the other stuff (Dexter's neighbor/Hannah/PI & federal marshall/Quinn's job and love life drama) and I can't think of enough quality material for a single episode let alone 6. And the series-finale big bad was like a quality-television vacuum. Literally the most uninteresting and unremarkable performance of a major character I've ever seen committed to film.
Old 12-27-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the end of S4 provide at least a basic sense of closure for the characters? Or is it a cliff-hanger to suck you into the next show/season?
Old 12-27-13, 08:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Does the end of S4 provide at least a basic sense of closure for the characters? Or is it a cliff-hanger to suck you into the next show/season?
Season 5 really isn't too bad, but the quality of the show was starting to show. Where the show looked like it was heading seasons earlier never really happens, and that disappointed a lot of fans of the first few seasons.
Old 12-27-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
I know what I tell you will not be followed, since it is impossible advice to take.

Just watch seasons one through four. Do not continue on. Consider season four the conclusion to the show.

You will not take my advice and want to see where the show goes. You will watch season five and say its not that bad. Then you will watch season six and say its still not that horrible. Then you will watch season 7 and say its still worth watching. And even with season 8 you will find some enjoyment since the show is still on for another season and you get to see all the characters again for one more season.

But it's never really good, and then you realize that you have been making excuses for the show since season five instead of praising it. Then the show ends, and you realize how long you have been getting shit on.... Since season 5.

Just watch season one through four.
I agree with a lot of what you said about justifying to yourself watching the show through seasons five through seven and thinking it isn't that bad but realizing once you hit the end that you were just making excuses for the show all along and that it went to shit after Clyde Phillips left. That's basically how I feel now that the series is finished. The first four seasons are amazing and almost feel like an entirely different show, but those last four (particularly season eight) just pissed me off. You know a show has dropped in quality terribly when a fan of the show who defended it even at it's weakest had no desire whatsoever to watch the series finale and only did so at a later date (quite a while after it had actually aired) just to say I watched it.

I don't think a person can watch the show through season four and think that it's a satisfying ending though.
Spoiler:
The season four finale is a total cliffhanger and anyone who watches it will want to see what comes next. Granted I don't think the show ever fully came back and gave us a lot of dissatisfaction in the storylines it presented from season five onward but to a new viewer it's inevitable they'll want to see what's next. It's unbelievable the highs that season four reached and the lows that we were given pretty much the remainder of the show.
I know it will never happen but I really wish somehow the show would be given a proper "real" final season with Phillips taking the reins back and giving the fans a way better resolve.
Old 12-27-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

If you plan on watching any of Dexter, then you should watch it all - no point half-assing it (even if the show half-assed it).

However, if you can still return S1-S4 that you bought - do so... you probably won't want them in your collection after watching S5 onward.

Don't waste any money (or any more money) on the show. Watch whatever you can through Netflix or torrents, etc. You'll be glad you saved as much money as you could on this.
Old 12-27-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Dexter is on Netflix if you have it. Season 1-4 is already there and 4-8 will be there in early 2014.

If you have Netflix and really want to see it, no point in wasting good money on the physical media for something that you will most likely only watch once.
Old 01-19-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I visited some friends (a married couple) this weekend and they have been getting caught up on Dexter (they are still in Season 7). I had earlier told them that the series finale sucked, so they asked me for some hints on what happens to him at the end.

They asked "Does he go to jail?" and I gave dodgy answers to that and followed up with "Hey, I may be lying to not spoil it."

Then after more questions from them, I said "He just gives up his life and becomes a lumberjack."

They laughed at that and said "Now you're just messing with us."

(Now I look forward to what they say when they finally see the ending!)
Old 03-10-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished up watching the series and wow...that ending really stunk! Isn't life nice when one can park their speed boat at their own private dock at the hospital, waltz in, terminate life support apparatus, and not just leave without being stopped or questioned, but do so also carrying the body with them back to the boat without anyone noticing or thinking anything of it. COME ON!!!

Also agree that the lumberjack ending was totally unnecessary. So in addition to the above, Dexter is able to drive into a hurricane/storm, sink his boat, and yet miraculously make it back to land on his own.

I'm sure Quinn was happy to learn of Deb's disappearance from the hospital while on life support. The ending was so bad it was a F-You from the writers to the viewers who supported them and their show for most of 8 seasons. LAME!!!!
Old 03-10-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The finale really tried to give Lost a run for its money as the worst finale ever.
Old 03-10-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Just finished up watching the series and wow...that ending really stunk! Isn't life nice when one can park their speed boat at their own private dock at the hospital, waltz in, terminate life support apparatus, and not just leave without being stopped or questioned, but do so also carrying the body with them back to the boat without anyone noticing or thinking anything of it. COME ON!!!

Also agree that the lumberjack ending was totally unnecessary. So in addition to the above, Dexter is able to drive into a hurricane/storm, sink his boat, and yet miraculously make it back to land on his own.

I'm sure Quinn was happy to learn of Deb's disappearance from the hospital while on life support. The ending was so bad it was a F-You from the writers to the viewers who supported them and their show for most of 8 seasons. LAME!!!!
I would excused all of that with a bit of an eye-roll, but the lumberjack ending bit was awful. They could have at leave salvaged some of it if they had just have had him remove a hidden box of slides, had his kill apron hanging behind the door... just something to give that bit some reason. That would at least stayed to a horror staple (cheesy or not), but him just looked dead-inside was pointless.
Old 03-10-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
I visited some friends (a married couple) this weekend and they have been getting caught up on Dexter (they are still in Season 7). I had earlier told them that the series finale sucked, so they asked me for some hints on what happens to him at the end.

They asked "Does he go to jail?" and I gave dodgy answers to that and followed up with "Hey, I may be lying to not spoil it."

Then after more questions from them, I said "He just gives up his life and becomes a lumberjack."

They laughed at that and said "Now you're just messing with us."

(Now I look forward to what they say when they finally see the ending!)
Follow-up Please!
Old 03-14-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Finished it a few days ago, and yeah it sucked. I could make a list of all the wtf? moments, baffling character behavior, meaningless/unresolved subplots but you guys probably have gone through all that already.

Here, scrap the entire lumberjack sequence and replace with:

Dexter wakes up in bed with Keith (from Six Feet Under) and says: "I just had the weirdest dream". The End.
Old 03-14-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Or,

Old 03-14-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Or,

Or...

Dexter rolls over in bed and says "Keith, I just had the weirdest dream." but when Keith sits up it's Doakes, who says...well, you get it.