Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the series Finale?
Yes, despite an awful/bad season, I was satisfied.
10.92%
Yes and I'm in the minority and thought season 8 was good
5.88%
No, I'm in the minority and enjoyed season 8, but the ending sucked.
10.92%
No, the season was terrible, the ending was terrible. So disappointed.
49.58%
Honestly, I just don't care anymore.
22.69%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

I was really into the final episode, and then they sort of screwed it up in the last minute or so. Oh well. As bad as the last several episodes of this season have been, it was still a step up.
Old 09-22-13, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAME LAME LAME!

Would have been better if Doakes had jumped up and yelled SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

So disappointing. I would tell people to stop at The Trinity Killer.
Old 09-22-13, 09:08 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
spoilers for those of us that cant/didnt watch?
You're better off not knowing.
Old 09-22-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sZa26_esLBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-22-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So I'm going to spoil some stuff, so I'm guessing as we are all talking on a thread about the series final, we've seen it.

Anyways, while I see a lot of hate on the board for the final, I loved it. What the hell were you all expecting anyways? I kind of thought Dexter might have shot himself or cut his throat on the boat at the end, seeing as
Spoiler:
Debra, the person he loved the most isn't with him anymore.
But that was well done. We should all know Dexter wasn't going to
Spoiler:
die
, I mean, there really isn't a reason to anymore since he has changed. I got an issue with Ester and the other child kind of just vanished from the series, but what can you do...step children. No one liked Hannah, so it wouldn't have been much of a happy ending anyways. Dexter is a loner, end of the day. Dexter got his revenge and decided
Spoiler:
to start a new life, so let the spin off rumors run wild.
]

Seriously, how did you all want the series to end? Horrible second half of the season, but this was satisfying.
Old 09-22-13, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahahhahahahahaha!
Old 09-22-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh well, maybe they do a live action Death Note and get it right.
Old 09-22-13, 09:23 PM

I was hoping the pen was poisoned.
Old 09-22-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How Clyde Phillips would have ended the show:

Spoiler:
"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."
Old 09-22-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
How Clyde Phillips would have ended the show:

Spoiler:
"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."
Yeah I read that just now and another about Quinn. This one sounds pretty good, a nice little nod to the past seasons and we may not have been introduced to Hannah, which would have been nice. Had he stayed, I don't think Dexter would have lost his way.
Old 09-22-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts

How I would have ended this episode:

More or less the same, except as Deb vegetating in the hospital, Dexter comes clean to Quinn about his double life. He then leaves Quinn his "kill kit" so he can take care of Oliver Saxon.

While Quinn is savagely butchering Oliver Saxon, Dexter quietly pulls the plug on his sister. Deb is Dexter's' final kill, and Oliver Saxon is Quinn's first.

At the very end, we see a title card that reads "ONE MONTH LATER."

Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison are in Argentina, one big happy family. We get a final voice-over from Dexter about how he was finally able to be rid off his dark passenger.

Fade to black.

We then see Quinn, sitting alone in his car stalking a victim at night. Quinn is examining records... the guy's he after killed his wife and kids. Cut to the guy walking into a night club. Cut back to Quinn, watching his prey. Cut to Dexter's knives in the back seat of Quinn's car. Cut back to Quinn; we can see that there's someone else in the car with him, though their identity is obscured by shadows. Close-up on Quinn as he watches. Then we see the person next to Quinn. It's Deborah. She calmly encourages Quinn and gives advice on how best to capture his victim...

Roll credits.
Old 09-22-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Shitty ending to a shitty season.

I agree with zoomgirl and would say the last good season was Trinity. In all honesty, my preferred ending would have seen Dexter's true self be revealed. Seeing as that wasn't going to happen, I'd have been fine with the pen being poisoned and having Dex die along with Saxon.
Old 09-22-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Josh, that's actually a good ending. I heard of rumors like this and think Quinn could be strong enough to hold his own. My only problem is, past few seasons, we've been set up for future Dexter for a while so I see why they didn't go that route.

Ed...true self revealed at the end? I think that was his true self. He's alone, by himself, in a log cabin I believe. He's always been the type of person to want to live alone and be left alone. How is that not his true self?
Old 09-22-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Ed...true self revealed at the end? I think that was his true self. He's alone, by himself, in a log cabin I believe. He's always been the type of person to want to live alone and be left alone. How is that not his true self?
I meant more along the lines of others finally figuring out that he WAS the Bay Harbor Butcher.
Old 09-22-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that sucked. I actually haven't seen the last two episodes because I wanted to watch the finale live and wasn't able to get caught up yet. But yikes what a bad episode.

The episode was paced slow, it wasn't interesting outside of being the final episode, and while I thought the ending with Dexter going into the wave seemed like a fitting end, they add on that stupid epilogue. I guess the point was supposed to be that Dexter is now paying for what he did over the series. Deb's gone, Hannah's gone, Harrison's gone, and his dark passenger is gone. But it just came across so poorly. Just terrible, terrible writing on this final episode.
Old 09-22-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dexter is a logger now. I think that about sums it up.
Old 09-22-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I meant more along the lines of others finally figuring out that he WAS the Bay Harbor Butcher.
Gotcha. Yeah, they had so many close calls, especially with Quinn. Just to have done it in the last episode and no one closing it from other episodes would have been seen as a cop out to me...at least. Not to mention he already was past the whole Dark Passenger and left that behind him.

Yes, the series final could have been better with a lot of other subplots, but that would mean that the second half of this season would have to have been MUCH better. With what was given, it was good. For season finals that leave a lot of "what if" and not much closure, I think this did a fine job. I think just about every loose end was tied up and there isn't many questions of "what if" or anything like that. Everyone's story was told.
Old 09-22-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, I'm pretty happy with the attention given to masukas daughter this season, that plotline really paid off.
Old 09-22-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99
Also, I'm pretty happy with the attention given to masukas daughter this season, that plotline really paid off.
LMFAO! We needed eye candy this season. Thus why Jamie and the daughter had more of a role and got naked. There's always been random subplots like this. At least she was cute.
Old 09-22-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotcha. Yeah, they had so many close calls, especially with Quinn. Just to have done it in the last episode and no one closing it from other episodes would have been seen as a cop out to me...at least. Not to mention he already was past the whole Dark Passenger and left that behind him.
Ideally, as others have said in other episodic threads, that sort of finale would have had to be played out over the entire season. They could have potentially had Batista come to some sort of a realization after Saxon's death. Dexter has had a LOT of people close to him end up murdered over the course of the series and now Batista sees him killing Saxon on tape and remaining extremely cool while doing so. At least let that set something off in his mind. Obviously they can't get too into it, with this being the last episode, but at least throw it in there that maybe there is more to Dexter than meets the eye.

As for the Dark Passenger thing, I'm taking that look in his eyes at the very end to be a sign that perhaps he isn't done killing after all. I know it is meant to be open to interpretation, so opinions may differ. That's just mine.
Old 09-22-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Ideally, as others have said in other episodic threads, that sort of finale would have had to be played out over the entire season. They could have potentially had Batista come to some sort of a realization after Saxon's death. Dexter has had a LOT of people close to him end up murdered over the course of the series and now Batista sees him killing Saxon on tape and remaining extremely cool while doing so. At least let that set something off in his mind. Obviously they can't get too into it, with this being the last episode, but at least throw it in there that maybe there is more to Dexter than meets the eye.

As for the Dark Passenger thing, I'm taking that look in his eyes at the very end to be a sign that perhaps he isn't done killing after all. I know it is meant to be open to interpretation, so opinions may differ. That's just mine.
Yeah, I think Quinn knows something is up, which is why that was leaked for some time on other websites. I think you could sense Batista knows something isn't right, but he's like F this, it's way too much on the guy. Batista was always Dexter's friend and was just trying to find the best way to cover it up. That's the way I read it.

And yeah, I think he's going to go back to killing. He finally got rid of his humanity by basically killing his identity, but I think his father by his side is gone. He is really by himself now just trying to fed that urge and getting by.

I still don't know which female character pissed me off the most...Hannah or Quinn's stripper girlfriend.
Old 09-22-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE
As for the Dark Passenger thing, I'm taking that look in his eyes at the very end to be a sign that perhaps he isn't done killing after all. I know it is meant to be open to interpretation, so opinions may differ. That's just mine.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. In the final scene it looked like he had a tear running down his face. I don't think he would be crying because of the fact that he wanted kill again.
Old 09-22-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

I am I forgetting something or was there no appearance from Harry in this episode? If so, that's really unforgivable.

And no resolution for the Masuka's daughter storyline?? I'm sure it'll be covered in the spinoff...
Old 09-22-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dexter was always a lonely lumberjack and imagined his entire life in Miami.
Old 09-22-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think Quinn knows something is up, which is why that was leaked for some time on other websites. I think you could sense Batista knows something isn't right, but he's like F this, it's way too much on the guy. Batista was always Dexter's friend and was just trying to find the best way to cover it up. That's the way I read it.
I avoided all potential spoilers like the plague, so I didn't know that was rumored about Quinn. In retrospect, I suppose that his reaction to the footage could have been a bit of a hint that he knew something was going on.

Originally Posted by robin2099
[QUOTE
I don't know about that. In the final scene it looked like he had a tear running down his face. I don't think he would be crying because of the fact that he wanted kill again.[/QUOTE]

I didn't really notice a tear, just that his eyes looked dark and lifeless...the eyes of a monster. Again though, it's just opinion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.