Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

CW Eyes ‘Flash’ Series With ‘Arrow’s Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & David Nutter

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CW Eyes ‘Flash’ Series With ‘Arrow’s Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & David Nutter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: CW Eyes ‘Flash’ Series With ‘Arrow’s Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & David Nutt

I'm not a comic reader, so thanks for pointing that out. My point was not complaining about the name Impulse itself, but that the TV shows has had this history of giving Superheros stupid names. Liking calling Superman "The Blur" in Smallville, and calling Green Arrow "The Hood" in Arrow. That's what I was really griping about...
Old 07-31-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CW Eyes ‘Flash’ Series With ‘Arrow’s Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & David Nutt

So far they confirmed:

Spoiler:
  • 3 episodes in Arrow (2 as just Barry, 1 with powers)
  • The episode with powers will be the pilot (episode 20ish)
  • Will have powers matching the comic (thus breaking their own bible)
  • Will not have a nickname, but will instead use the name "Flash"
  • Will have a costume, and not just casual wear with a vague nod to a costume.
Old 07-31-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
They chose to call the character Bart Allen, just like they chose to call him Impulse, which is just as lame or lamer than The Blur...

Do these shows save a ton of money for never using the superhero's real nicknames? Are they only reserved for the big screens so that any TV shows cannot use it? Other than financial reasons there doesn't seem to be any good justifications for these inane names.

Anyway will probably check it out if it's ordered.
Warner still had fantasies they would make an actual Flash movie around the time that Smallville wanted to include him as a character, so Barry Allen was off-limits to Smallville. Impulse is Barry Allen's grandson from the future in the modern comics, so they took elements of that character and put him on Smallville.

Whenever they don't use the most popular incarnation of a character, it is always tied to the movie division nixing the idea. A Flash movie has been in development hell for over a decade at WB, going back to a time when Wally West would have been the Flash.
Old 07-31-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

I don't get this talk of no superpowers. I know they said no flight for sups is smallville, but I don't ever recall them saying no superpowers for arrow.
Old 07-31-13, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't get this talk of no superpowers. I know they said no flight for sups is smallville, but I don't ever recall them saying no superpowers for arrow.
ARROW Producers Say No To Superpowers And An Appearance From "The Trinity"
Old 07-31-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Ok, I hadn't read that. So who cares if they are going back on their word? If it makes the show better and launches another good show in the process, I'm fine with that.
Old 07-31-13, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Ok, I hadn't read that. So who cares if they are going back on their word? If it makes the show better and launches another good show in the process, I'm fine with that.
Obviously they bent to pressure from above and had no choice but to break their own rule. I'd rather they just introduce The Flash in his own show and leave Arrow alone, but I guess Arrow is such a big hit they need to garner some of that audience.

Either way I'm a huge Flash fan so I'm happy he's finally getting a new show. There's also talk of a new movie in 2016 or later.
Old 07-31-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

This opens the door to superpowered villains on Arrow. Superspeed is by far the cheapest superpower one can effectively show on a weekly basis in television. Smallville banned flying because it would have cost too much on a weekly basis and expanded story possibilities beyond the capability of that series.
Old 07-31-13, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This opens the door to superpowered villains on Arrow. Superspeed is by far the cheapest superpower one can effectively show on a weekly basis in television. Smallville banned flying because it would have cost too much on a weekly basis and expanded story possibilities beyond the capability of that series.
Plenty of characters flew on Smallville, just not Clark.