TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Copper -- Season 2 (BBC America) -- Summer 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Copper -- Season 2 (BBC America) -- Summer 2013

Synopsis for "Home Sweet Home":

February 5, 1865. Five Points remains a bedlam. Young men are dying and disappearing at an alarming rate and a career criminal is terrorizing the Sixth Ward. With pressures from Tammany Hall raining down upon the police force, Detective Kevin Corcoran and the coppers of the Sixth Ward must follow the guidance of returned ward leader, General Brendan Donovan. Meanwhile, Doctor Matthew Freeman visits his mentor and is presented with an attractive offer that will cause a rift in his marriage. Uptown, Robert Morehouse and Elizabeth Haverford make plans for their wedding and Confederate spy Kennedy’s execution. In the tombs, Francis Maguire is set to learn his fate.

Season 2 is 13 episodes

Donal Logue from Terriers is a series regular

Trailer:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2365738012001&linkBaseURL=www.bbcamerica.com%2Fcopper%2Fvideos%2Fseason-2-trailer-there-are-no-city-limits%2F&playerID=1363944211001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAA-dDLCk~,siZIgFdU3jN0sb7lGOrT158rVROOaX61&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2365738012001&linkBaseURL=www.bbcamerica.com%2Fcopper%2Fvideos%2Fseason-2-trailer-there-are-no-city-limits%2F&playerID=1363944211001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAA-dDLCk~,siZIgFdU3jN0sb7lGOrT158rVROOaX61&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Recap of season 1:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2381738307001&linkBaseURL=www.bbcamerica.com%2Fcopper%2Fvideos%2Fcopper-season-1-recap-a-look-back-at-1864%2F&playerID=1363944211001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAA-dDLCk~,siZIgFdU3jN0sb7lGOrT158rVROOaX61&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2381738307001&linkBaseURL=www.bbcamerica.com%2Fcopper%2Fvideos%2Fcopper-season-1-recap-a-look-back-at-1864%2F&playerID=1363944211001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAA-dDLCk~,siZIgFdU3jN0sb7lGOrT158rVROOaX61&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 06-25-13, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Copper -- Season 2 (BBC America) -- Summer 2013

I do enjoy this show. However there are so many plot lines going on now that it is beginning to get hard remembering and following each. This is the curse for having so many shows on my DVR. It becomes almost impossible to remember each story line.
Old 06-25-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a very sound business model, if you are going to do ass work, get paid a premium for it.
Old 06-25-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

They were pretty good about not letting modern attitudes (of the 21st Century) slip into the first season, but this episode was fairly unrealistic on a number of fronts for the 1860s. I believe they also used a body double for the bedroom scene.
Old 06-26-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still need to finish season 1. I think the boxing episode is where I left off.
Old 07-04-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Alright, so I watched the 1st 2 episodes of season 2 last night.

Some of the plot is very hard to follow. I can see how this show isn't really "Must see" TV for the folks here to do watch it. And period shows like this don't seem to be really talked about in general.

This is what I managed to grasp:

Kevin and Ellen's marriage is on the rocks.

Ellen is semi-crazy

Kevin is currently involved in a case trying to find the killer/kidnapper of some young boys.

Robert is about to marry Elizabeth, but Elizabeth seems to be hiding something.

The General is a new character and is some kind of big shot Politician who has heavy influence in Five Points.

It's cool to see Donal Logue as The General.

BTW, did anyone who watched episode 2 recognize the actor who played Frederick Douglass?

It was Eamonn Walker, who's currently on Chicago Fire. It took me awhile to figure it out until I recognized his voice and eyes.
Old 07-04-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't like the story angle of the crazy wife. They treated mentally-ill people at the time much differently than we do today and if they were handling it correctly the plot with her would still drag the rest of the story down.
Old 07-08-13, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a minute there I thought I was watching Crapper. I do enjoy them showing things that would be allowed back then.
Old 07-10-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I caught up with the first couple last night. I planned on not continuing after last season, but I really like Donal Logue so figured what the hell. The setting is something that I like and want to like the show.. Something about it just doesn't interest me. Things seem confusing even though I'm usually able to follow complicated storylines in shows. I think it's just due to my lack of interest and not playing close enough attention. It's always a bad sign when I pick up my phone due to boredom when a show is on..something that never happens with shows like GoT, BB, Justified, Boardwalk, etc. where I'm riveted and block everything out but the show. Seems like there's just not enough of a focus on anything and is too all over the place..or something, I can't pinpoint it. Reminds me of Hell on Wheels in that way, love the setting but there's something off I can't pinpoint. Liking it enough to stick with it again for now though.
Old 07-10-13, 02:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ That's a pretty accurate summary of why I jumped ship during season 1. Sounds like there isn't a terribly compelling reason to return if it's more of the same. For the record, I too like Logue, but needs to be quality material just the same.
Old 09-19-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cancelled and Lincoln just got assassinated.

I had hope for the Logue character but that was meh. William Baldwin's had potential but it's over.

The women had nothing to do. It was like the wives from The Unit.
Old 09-19-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

The ratings for season 2 were horrible. Barely 300K when season 1 averaged about 700K. This was a money losing show, which BBC America financed solely, so it's understandable they had to pull the plug.

I'll wait until season 2 comes to Netflix and when I have downtime, I may finish it up. I didn't feel like continuing beyond the 2-3 episodes I watched this season.
Old 09-20-13, 07:36 AM

While I understand BBC America probably did not want to cancel its first original drama after one season, the ratings trend for S1 showed that S2 probably wasn't going to set the world on fire.

Here's a comparison of three recent BBC America dramas that makes it easy to see why Copper was cancelled. All three shows had roughly the same average overnight ratings:

Copper S2 - 0.08 demo, solo production, cancelled
Ripper Street S1 - 0.08 demo, co-production, renewed
Orphan Black S1 - 0.16 demo, co-production, renewed

The cost of the Blu-ray sets reveals how expensive Copper was for BBC America -- Copper S1 had a list of $59.99, while Ripper Street S1 and Orphan Black S1 were just $34.99 each.
Old 09-20-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this show but can't fault them for not picking it up. Had nudity, extreme violence - when Frances spit out the one dudes throat this season and said "I guess he just wasn't cut out for life in the tombs" I was like who isn't watching this badass show?
Old 09-20-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a show I really wanted to like but couldn't. It just didn't seem to ever be going anywhere or doing anything interesting. Was going to give up after the first season and gave it another shot. But there were five or six episodes piled up on the DVR and deleted them last night after seeing it was cancelled.
Old 09-20-13, 11:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I still have to watch the final 2-3 episodes from the first season. Was planning on watching season 2 eventually, just not a priority. I might just give up altogether now that it's cancelled.
Old 09-20-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've watched all of Copper's episodes from both seasons, but something about this show never gelled. I was fast-forwarding through most episodes in this second season. The addition of nudity and extreme violence was a fresh twist on the typical period drama, but Copper never knew what it wanted to be. Was it a commentary on modern values or did the show want to remain authentic to its setting? It vacillated between those two approaches.

It also had way too many characters in its ensemble cast, you can't tell an equally coherent story about a dozen characters in 10-12 episodes per season.
Old 09-20-13, 01:33 PM

After finishing S1, I got the feeling that the writers/producers had a clear vision for the story that they wanted to tell in the 10 episodes (a combination of life in Five Points in the 1860s and what happened to Corcoran's wife and daughter), and the story arc reached a satisfying conclusion by episode 10.

I haven't had that same feeling with S2. There were definitely too many cast members (which I'm sure didn't help the budget), and the overall focus/vision for the story wasn't like S1.

I'm sure this experience has taught BBC America that co-productions are probably the best course of action for drama on the network.