Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Hero -- New TNT Series hosted by Dwayne Johnson -- Summer 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Hero -- New TNT Series hosted by Dwayne Johnson -- Summer 2013

I was pulling for Charles throughout the whole show and wished he hadn't pulled out. However, when he was talking to America at the end when everyone was giving their spiels about why they should be the hero, something sounded sorta phony to me about his speech. It made me wonder if Charles made the grand move of asking the others to take him out (knowing they could keep him if they wished). He probably didn't know how popular he was with America and may have felt that this generous move would guarantee him the money. If so, it was a huge miscalculation on his part, since his departure was a gift to everyone else and there was no way anyone was going to keep him knowing he would walk away with the money. Otherwise, his decision to tell the others not to vote to keep him makes absolutely no sense.
Old 07-28-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This show also seems like it needed to be 2 weeks longer to weed out more people and do a few more challenges.
Old 07-28-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Does it feel like they were playing fast and loose with the timing on the challenges? (Everyone makes it by *that much*)
They way those challenges were edited, I didn't buy any of the tight deadlines. It looked heavily manipulated to me by the producers given the timing of each event, depending on how athletic each person would have been. Patty would have died of a heart attack before finishing the challenge that Charles barely finished in the soccer stadium.
Originally Posted by leeta
I was pulling for Charles throughout the whole show and wished he hadn't pulled out. However, when he was talking to America at the end when everyone was giving their spiels about why they should be the hero, something sounded sorta phony to me about his speech.
I still don't understand his motivation, even though he made long speeches about his family and being a man in multiple episodes. Did he think the producers would have a surprise for the person voted out of the group in that final step?
Old 07-29-13, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the responses on The Hero's Facebook page, I'd say 80% of the people I saw voted for Patty. I think she wins this going away with Charles out. Darnell's a good guy, but he already got some money. Dave seems like a decent guy, but people probably don't think a surgeon needs the jackpot. Marty's a whiny douche. Lydia didn't really make much of a mark on me one way or the other.
Old 07-29-13, 10:16 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I really wanted to like this show but the format worked against itself. It's a competition show where competitive moves are practically vilified. Contestants are supposed to walk this fine line between selflessness and heroic drive. Don't do enough and you're called out for 'not stepping up'... try too hard and you're selfish and over competitive. All in the service of challenges that seemed a bit ho-hum... like Fear Factor Lite.

They built a lot of the show's concept around the idea that greed at the expense of the group is bad, but then they treat Darnell like a saint for taking the money for his family, as if the others who took the money didn't have good personal reasons for doing so. I never really felt there was any real weight to the temptations after that, and thus no drama. Instead they should have focused a bit more on giving the contestants chances to face personal fears and overcome them to help their team. They did this a little bit with Patty with the tear gas and tightrope, but they needed more of these types of scenarios.
Old 07-29-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Looking at the responses on The Hero's Facebook page, I'd say 80% of the people I saw voted for Patty. I think she wins this going away with Charles out. Darnell's a good guy, but he already got some money. Dave seems like a decent guy, but people probably don't think a surgeon needs the jackpot. Marty's a whiny douche. Lydia didn't really make much of a mark on me one way or the other.
Good summation.

It's been an interesting ride, but some of the contestants were forgettable. Not a good think when you have such a small group for 2 months.

I do think it improved with some of the twists the past few weeks.

I'd check it out next year if it comes back, but I'd like some changes.
Old 08-01-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,738 Posts

FYI

The season finale is tonight.

The Hero

Season Finale - Thursday, August 1, at 8 p.m. (ET/PT)

The contestants are reunited before America's vote is revealed for "The Hero." There can only be one. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson serves as mentor and motivator to the contestants.

Apparently The Rock flew back from Hungary to participate. Stay off Twitter or Facebook if you liked or follow The Hero pages.
Old 08-01-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, Patty won by a landslide. After the last episode and turning down all that money it was pretty apparent she would win. If she didn't cry as much as she did I would have liked her more.

The Rock was pretty good running the show as the studio host.

If Patty were against Charles, I think he could have pulled it out.

If this comes back for another season, they need to make a few tweaks to the concept.
Old 08-01-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts

I was surprised the finale went the conventional route. I fully expected there to be a final twist, with the hero, -or the group, -persuaded to give the prize money to The Red Cross. I was also surprised at all the hostility.
Old 08-01-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Lydia and Athena going at each other got really hostile. Guess they won't be Facebook friends.
Old 08-01-13, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah this show was a flawed concept from the get go. If it comes back next season get rid of america voting for starters and get rid of the title or call it Heroes Challenge or something. I do like the 6 go in then 3 then one for the contests with them all working together to get money in the pot. Keep the offers going except make it about sabotage. I'll give you 15,000 to make sure your team fails. Not sure the best way to eliminate people though. Maybe a vote and bottom two battle it out in a challenge.
Old 08-02-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of anti climactic... must be weird to have shot all that stuff months ago and then have to wait to see if you won the money.

I still enjoyed the show, mostly because The Rock is such a great host and some of the challenges were legitimately cool, but it definitely needs some tweaks.
Old 08-02-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

Both Patty and Charles got very favorable edits for their characters. Given the editing, it was unlikely anyone else could have won other than those two. That was actually an entertaining finale, mostly for the Rock's personality and the catfighting.

I wouldn't mind seeing the show come back, but reality competitions like this one always decline in quality once the audience has seen what is expected and how to game the system for future seasons.