TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Food Network Star -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres June 2, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Food Network Star -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres June 2, 2013

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've only seen the last 3 seasons prior to last season, but Melissa D'Arabian, Aarti and even Jeff the sandwich King got shows, so that seems wrong that Justin got screwed out of a show.
2nd place runner ups have gotten shows of their own as well.
Old 06-07-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

I'm wondering if he was just too weird for a show. That was charming on the reality show, but that doesn't necessarily mean it translates well to his own show.
Old 06-07-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bizarre cast in that I recognize a number of them. When they started this series it seemed its focus was on the average Food Network fan having a chance to prove they can cook. Each season seems to have more professional cooks and professional reality stars in the cast. Sort of disappointed in the route the show took.
Old 06-07-13, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Justin guy has been used in the ads promoting the Sobe Food Festival and the Food and Wine Festival in NYC that the Food Network sponsors and gives trips away to.
Old 06-08-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Viet was also the first runner-up in The Food Channel's "Extreme Chef" reality comp (Season Two). By the way, he has a brother named "Nam", and they were named after his mother's homeland.

I'm sure Justin's show wasn't a "special", but a "busted" pilot, considering the way it was dumped on a Saturday night with little or no promotion. It struck me as sort of a "hipster" re-thinking of Fieri's "DDD" with Justin including the camera crew in the proceedings and a rougher visual style. At times the darker look could be a little off-putting and there were moments here and there where Justin was just plain creepy-looking. Knowing the channel's reliance on focus groups, I can only imagine it didn't test well.
Old 06-08-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never thought Justin really had much charisma to be the host of his own show. The Sandwich King guy easily felt like a Food Network personality with his overall demeanor, and I think he fits in well with their branding. I thought last year's finalists that we got to vote on was a bit of a weak crop, and if this season didn't really just cement what a joke the show has become, I don't know what will.

Having the "everyman" become a host of a TV show is what made this so appealing year-after-year, but digging to the bottom of the dregs for the worst of previous reality-TV stars is a low point for the show. Poor decision on their part.

Can anyone else explain to me what that "underground chef" guy's deal was? I mean is he using smuggled in meats or something? I had never heard of that concept before and I think he just came off as extremely odd.
Old 06-09-13, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
Can anyone else explain to me what that "underground chef" guy's deal was? I mean is he using smuggled in meats or something? I had never heard of that concept before and I think he just came off as extremely odd.
He sort of explained it in a side conversation. He's one of those guys who sets up a restaurant in a location for a day or two and then they dismantle it and take it to another location.
Old 06-10-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
10 bucks says the guy in the middle, with the beard and the patterned shirt, will be the first one to go home.
It's ironic how he's turned out to be my favorite male contestant.
Old 06-10-13, 12:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've only seen the last 3 seasons prior to last season, but Melissa D'Arabian, Aarti and even Jeff the sandwich King got shows, so that seems wrong that Justin got screwed out of a show.
I was going to make a similar point. What's the point of the show and the winner if other people that make it far or have an interesting personality get a show and the winner is no better than they were before their appearance on the show.

Originally Posted by DWilson
He sort of explained it in a side conversation. He's one of those guys who sets up a restaurant in a location for a day or two and then they dismantle it and take it to another location.
I hadn't heard of those regarded as underground events or underground chefs. The term I heard to describe them is "pop-up restaurants."
Old 06-10-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn it. Danushka was almost sent packing. Please send her away next episode. She's obnoxious and has the personality of a sponge.
Old 06-10-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce

I hadn't heard of those regarded as underground events or underground chefs. The term I heard to describe them is "pop-up restaurants."
Not if you're trying to be a bad-ass. I dunno, that's the only thing I heard that remotely sounded like what he might be talking about. Perhaps he sells sandwiches on the subway.
Old 06-11-13, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Damn it. Danushka was almost sent packing. Please send her away next episode. She's obnoxious and has the personality of a sponge.
Man, it's weird but I am so hoping she sticks around. You see, I dated her. Not her specifically but someone so exactly identical to her I actually had to look twice when she first showed up (actually I first saw her on Chopped and thought it WAS the woman I dated for a short bit). Not only does it look like her (both former models with Eastern European blood) but her weird affected accent, the tone of her voice, her mannerisms, and the patronizing way she talks are exact. Even one of the comments another contestant made about her was spot on. The woman I dated would frequent an upscale downtown bar, sit at the bar dressed to the nines (even sometimes with long white gloves), drink wine, and shoot down any man who approached her.
Old 06-11-13, 11:32 AM

I am with Deftones on this one. Danushka has to go. I cannot imagine her as a star on Foodnetwork.

My sympathies on having dated someone like her, DeputyDave. Maybe if you gagged her? /smile
Old 06-11-13, 01:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Danushka - ugh. she will be kept around for effect of course.
Old 06-11-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Danushka doesn't bother me much since she seems to genuinely be the person she's portraying -- an elitist bitch. It's the fake personas like Lovely who tend to get under my skin.
Old 06-11-13, 05:52 PM

I guess Danushka has been on Chopped (twice?), 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, VH1 Supergroup, The Bachelor and Fear Factor. Still searching for her golden ticket? With that annoying voice, weird mouth and elitist attitude, I don't think TNFNS is going to be it.
Old 06-12-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.scrippsnetworksinteractiv...0pm-ET-PT.aspx

BTW, apparently Justin Warner who won last season never actually got a show. He hosted a 1 hour special on Food Network called "Rebel Eats" that aired back in March.
Watched it on On Demand and enjoyed. Hopefully, there will be a series.
Old 06-13-13, 08:46 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Danushka is like an over-the-top Saturday Night Live character.
Old 06-13-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

This show lost all credibility back when they brazenly changed the rules before the final so Aaron "Big Daddy" McCargo could win.

Justin "Chick Lips" Warner was cool, but I doubt we'll see him again.

As much as I have enjoyed the show through the years, we do have it to thank for Food Network's devolution into what seems like 18-20 hours per day of Triple D with a little Chopped and Iron Chef thrown in for variety.
Old 06-13-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
As much as I have enjoyed the show through the years, we do have it to thank for Food Network's devolution into what seems like 18-20 hours per day of Triple D with a little Chopped and Iron Chef thrown in for variety.
Seems like they took a page out of USA's book - "So, what do we show all day today, NCIS or Law & Order: SVU? Or, do we mix things up and go with Criminal Intent?"
Old 06-16-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Danusha survives

But I agree with mugwump that Lovely is even more annoying. And give credit (and clearly the judges did) to Danushka for at least making some good food. I think a big part of her token problem was the serving size. If you can only get one burger, who would pick a slider?
Old 06-17-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorry to see Danushka go. I found her entertaining and got her humor. I also liked her idea for her Chopped dish. It actually continued the theme of the contents.
Old 06-17-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

The other two people in the bottom had had much better showings than her, so I figured she had no chance to survive this week. I'm sure her insulting their Chopped show as "boring" didn't help her case.

Calling out Lovely on being phony

I still like BBQ guy.
Old 06-17-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

the witch is gone
Old 06-18-13, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised they didn't mention she has been on Chopped twice before.

Looks like I'll have to wait until she pops up on the next reality show before I can relive the fantasies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.