Reload this Page >

I Just Started Watching "The Wire."

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-01-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was turned on to this show via a comedy talk show I listen to; back in 2008 and 2009, a couple of the guys were hardcore into the show and they had a lot of the actors in for interviews and such. Of course, it took me five years to finally watch it, but here I am. Too bad that length of time didn't erase all of the spoilers I was exposed to via the talk show, but it doesn't even matter.

ANYWAY. Holy crap, this show. By the end of the second episode I was SO IN. Full speed ahead, like, this isn't going to be a casual thing, it's going to take over my life until I'm done. Six days later, I just finished season two.

I guess I just needed a place to vent on how amazing the show is.

If I keep at my current rate, may be able to finish the boxset by the end of next weekend.

Some season two stuff lingering in my mind:

Spoiler:
Stringer Bell went from a really interesting guy in a bad business to a complete piece of human garbage. When he was comforting the mother at the funeral I wanted to show a shoe at my TV.
Spoiler:
I hope that bowtie assassin guy sticks around, what a crazy great character, I was annoyed when it seemed like it was out two episode in. Well, I'm ASSUMING he will return, since I'm pretty damn sure he knows what happened.
Spoiler:
I thought it was brilliant how they had a completely new story in season two while intertwining the fallout from season one into it. I doubt this will continue to overlap each season, but it was pretty masterfully executed here. And man, I have such a soft spot and undying respect for these old-school working class guys. I'm going to miss them.
So yeah. Discuss the show, your memories, etc.

Haven't watched? What better time to start then now?

Be kind to me (and others?); keep spoilers tagged, labeled by season if possible.
Old 05-01-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: I Just Started Watching "The Wire."

Well hell, if it got you to come back to the forum it must be pretty good.

I have heard of the show and have meant to get into it but haven't yet. One day I will.
Old 05-01-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think season 2 was my least favorite season. The stuff I remember best is Amy Ryan and the Walk the Line montage.
Old 05-01-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

No spoilers, but I loved all the seasons.
Old 05-01-13, 02:18 PM
Banned

Absolutely loved season 2 because it was such a change of pace. I think a show like this would have gotten repetitive really fast without the change of pace in season 2.

To the OP just wait until you get into seasons 3 and 4, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 05-01-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Well hell, if it got you to come back to the forum it must be pretty good.
You might be on to something.

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I have heard of the show and have meant to get into it but haven't yet. One day I will.
The only advice I can give is to stick with it at first. I was hooked, pretty bad, by the end of episode two, but I can completely see the way the show progresses could be jarring to some.

Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
I think season 2 was my least favorite season. The stuff I remember best is Amy Ryan and the Walk the Line montage.
I loved it, personally. From random rumblings I've seen, I hear a lot of people claiming season two or four as their favorite and that season five starts off with a slight fumble but makes up for it by the end.
Old 05-01-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

You know, I've had this series in shrink wrap sitting on my shelf since I got it as a "deal of the day" on Amazon back in June of 2010. Maybe it's time to check it out.
Old 05-01-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also recently started watching it since more current shows are slowing down now. Been loving it and flying through it as well. Almost done with season 3.

My only gripe is that there are a TON of characters. There's plenty of names I still don't know.
Old 05-01-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Absolutely loved season 2 because it was such a change of pace. I think a show like this would have gotten repetitive really fast without the change of pace in season 2.
I'm going to have to agree with this. To me, it further solidified the integrity of the show.

Any other show would have had the crew back together on another drug case right from the first or second episode.

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
To the OP just wait until you get into seasons 3 and 4, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Ah hell, I might as well cross out any open slots on my weekend, eh?

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
You know, I've had this series in shrink wrap sitting on my shelf since I got it as a "deal of the day" on Amazon back in June of 2010. Maybe it's time to check it out.
Unwrap that bad boy and give the first two episodes a watch tonight.

It would be nice to have another fresh face to chatter about the show with.

Originally Posted by mkdevo View Post
I also recently started watching it since more current shows are slowing down now. Been loving it and flying through it as well. Almost done with season 3.
Hooray!

Originally Posted by mkdevo View Post
My only gripe is that there are a TON of characters. There's plenty of names I still don't know.
Yeah, I'm pretty lost when any of the political guys show up.
Old 05-01-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show may be in my Top 3 now.

One of the best things about this show is that it gets better with time. Because you need time to truly digest some things, to appreciate them.

There's another thread here about the show, that you may want to read if you want to laugh.
Old 05-01-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show does have a ton of characters, but I had no problem knowing who was who. I might not have known every name, but I knew where the varius characters stood.

This show made a deal with the devil, because it is unreal how many absolutely amazing characters where on The Wire.
Old 05-01-13, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pixy! Long time no grok.

You're in luck, because I've been told that The Wire is, incontestably, the best show ever made, objectively, and without the ability of anyone to broach any objection. It's simply a cold stone fact, and if you dare to disagree then you must be a tongue-wagging retard or some kind of unsightly troll living under a bridge.

But seriously, it's a very good show that hits far more than it misses, and those hits are frequently fantastic.

It's also one of those shows where from now on, when you see any of these actors in anything, you will forever think, "Oh, it's [their character name] from The Wire!" I basically don't remember the actor's names (except for Amy Ryan, who is an angel, and Idris Elba, that handsome devil), just their character names from the show.
Old 05-01-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My favorite scene from the series

Spoilers for NSFWness

Spoiler:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LN5eYFH8HZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-01-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It's also one of those shows where from now on, when you see any of these actors in anything, you will forever think, "Oh, it's [their character name] from The Wire!" I basically don't remember the actor's names (except for Amy Ryan, who is an angel, and Idris Elba, that handsome devil), just their character names from the show.
Except if they were on Oz first! That was how I got into The Wire, through half the cast being involved. Felt like a natural progression.
Old 05-01-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My favorite show off all time.
Old 05-01-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
My favorite scene from the series

Spoilers for NSFWness

Spoiler:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LN5eYFH8HZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
My favorite
Spoiler:
Old 05-01-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn, maybe my favorite show of all time and I love when people start new threads about it.

There are a shit ton of characters and they put a lot of burden on the viewer to remember who they are. Unlike Soprano's though who at the end it seemed like they were just throwing characters at you with no purpose, most on The Wire serve a purpose.

I just find it amazing that they made me love a group of drug dealer as well as the cops. They never make you pick a side, it's all just shades of gray.
Old 05-01-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never watched The Wire before??

Old 05-01-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I envy you, it is such a great show, even on the fifth run through, but the magic of the first time.
Old 05-01-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always thought Season 2 never got the love it deserved. Plus it also had this scene (season 2, spoilered anyway):

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oYj7q_by_2E?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"That wasn't no 'tempt murder.... I shot the boy Mike-Mike in his hindparts, that all. Fixed it so he couldn't sit right"

"I got the shotgun... you got the briefcase"

Enjoy the ride....
Old 05-01-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, it pulls you in. I ended up doing marathon sessions with hbo go, watched all of them over the span of maybe a month.
Old 05-01-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I just finished the final season myself and wow, what a ride it is. As a journalist for nearly 20 years the last season was particularly devastating and spot on ("we have to do more with less," indeed).
Old 05-02-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I re-watched it last year and I find new things to get excited about each time I go through.
Old 05-02-13, 10:29 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

picked up HBO for game of thrones. guess i should take advantage of HBO Go and catch this wire thing.

(been meaning to for time actually )
Old 05-02-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are still people who haven't seen this? It's like Pulp Fiction in the 90s. We're past the point where you can claim to be culturally knowledgeable if you haven't seen it. It needs to be seen.

I've watched the series 3 times now, and every time has been better than the last. The show is so dense that if it's been a year or two, a lot of the scenes feel new again.

I only wish season 5 had been better. McNaulty's story throughout the season was really stretching it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.