Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rectify (Sundance) -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rectify (SundanceTV) - Season 2 Thread - 6/19/14

i wonder if they go the direction of justice being served and the original DA gets humiliated as a lying cocksucker, or daniel continues to get railroaded and ends up taking his life. series ends with him frolicking in the fields with Kerwin.

i may need to process why daniel was saying he didn't do it and they weren't paying attention. i guess he had to admit to killing hanna as part of the deal?

at least the sheriff is doing something.
Old 08-23-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i guess he had to admit to killing hanna as part of the deal?
Yes. That's the whole purpose of the deal. There's a point in there where the government says they're not there for the story Daniel's telling. Then the senator drives harder for the confession.
Old 08-23-14, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Yes. That's the whole purpose of the deal. There's a point in there where the government says they're not there for the story Daniel's telling. Then the senator drives harder for the confession.
now that clicked in and makes sense. i think i got lost because the former and new prosecutors were talking earlier and she made it sound like that wasn't really in there, until he inferred Daniel would have to admit that or the judge "wouldn't"(him making sure he wouldn't) sign off on it.

i wonder with the referrals back to recordings (Daniel's first confession, the Walkman tape, the video showing him and trey at george's house) if this wasn't a move on Daniel's part to get that former DA on tape aggressively making him confess and that coming up in a court case somehow. i want to believe Daniel has some sort of endgame in mind and he wasn't just saying it already to be left alone.

i don't think it was cowardly of him if he did and don't share Amantha's sentiment on that.
Old 08-23-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've also been expecting an end game, especially during the episode when he started talking about how they'd basically pressured and misled him into a confession. But this show is an onion and while we can guess about what's underneath based on what we've seen and what we expect/hope, all we can really say with any degree of certainty is what we've seen so far.

There's no upside to Daniel misleading his family and Tawney that he just wants his legal situation over. So far, this show doesn't really cheat. It might let you think something that isn't true based on your own extrapolation of missing information, but it doesn't usually actively push you in the wrong direction with bad information.

My guess would be if Daniel has an end game, that's in addition to his desire to just have it be over.
Old 08-23-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Just now starting to watch 1st episode season 1. It's pretty interesting so far. Gonna watch them all in the next day.
Old 08-28-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that anyone cares at this point . But I just finished season 2. Freaking mind blowing good is what this show is, just wow. Acting is great, story is just so well written its crazy.

I'm not in the greatest state of mind my mom had a heart attack literally the night I left my last comment and stopped me finishing the series till now. It was nice having this to take my mind off all that from time to time.

Can't wait till it comes back, oh my mom is ok so far if anyone wondered.
Old 09-02-14, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got caught up and finished season 2, and I will just agree with what most everyone on here is already saying- this is an amazing show.

We have liked it from the beginning, but the last 2 episodes of season 2 have elevated this show from very good to absolute greatness. Two of the best hours of television I have ever seen.

Definitely one of the best written shows ever- it is hard to describe the effect it has on me- it is just unrelenting and mesmerizing- as someone else described in an earlier post, it doesn't feel like you are watching a television show because it all feels so real....

Can't wait for season 3......
Old 10-13-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just binged through S02. Really great stuff, just amazing performances all the way around - consistently.
Old 04-06-15, 11:49 PM

I just finished Season 2 off Netflix just a couple days ago. Amazing show. It's taken the lead as my favorite show running. The acting, directing and layers of subtext brewing make this show are almost overwhelming.
Old 07-09-15, 06:27 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Rectify (Sundance) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 7/9/15

The highly anticipated third season of RECTIFY premieres Thursday, July 9th at 10:00pm ET/PT on SundanceTV. RECTIFY follows the life of Daniel Holden (Critics’ Choice Television Award nominee Aden Young), who returns to his small hometown in Georgia after serving 19 years on death row. Having spent his entire adult life waiting to die, Daniel must now try to find a way to cope with his past and forge a “normal” life with a future before him. His struggle affects everyone whom he comes in contact with, from his very fractured family, to those working to protect him and those working against him on the side of law and order, and those in his hometown.

Season three of the hour-long drama picks up where season two left off, on the afternoon of Daniel’s plea deal. Will the deal be accepted? Will Daniel be forced to leave town? And when the body of a missing person is discovered, law enforcement once again turns to him for answers. As Daniel’s sister Amantha (Abigail Spencer) attempts to live her own life, she is given an opportunity at a local store that for the first time in a long time has nothing to do with her brother. Meanwhile, Tawney (Adelaide Clemens) and Ted Jr. (Clayne Crawford) struggle to see if their marriage has a future. Janet (J. Smith Cameron) and Ted Sr. (Bruce McKinnon), also under pressure from Daniel’s actions, will find that their marriage is put to the test as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K0lPRve5imA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Six episode 3rd season. Was already renewed for a 4th season: http://www.sundance.tv/series/rectif...-fourth-season
Old 07-09-15, 08:03 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Rectify (SundanceTV) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 7/9/15

I just started watching this show so I am on the last episode of Season 1, and really enjoy it. How come season 2 is 10 episodes and season 3 is only 6 episodes?
Old 07-09-15, 08:07 AM

If I remember correctly, I think I read an interview that the creator preferred less episodes, so he didn't have to stretch things out longer. It's not really a show that needs to be many.
Old 07-09-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Season 2 did feel a little stretched, and it did hurt the quality of the show. Six episodes is probably better.
Old 07-11-15, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Off to a good start. I think Ted (Sr) is one of the most interesting characters, as far as the position he is in. He seemed to really try to make Daniel feel welcome when he first got released, but as Daniel's behavior became more erratic you could see Ted becoming more frustrated. He kept trying his best, for his wife's sake at least, but finding out about what Daniel did to Ted Jr was the tipping point. Even then, he was as gentle as he could be in this episode when he basically told Daniel to go the fuck away.

The scene with Daniel at the park was heartbreaking. He's trying to make some kind of connection with someone--anyone, even complete strangers--but he's just so awkward and chooses his moments so poorly because he doesn't know any better. (A single, childless man hovering around a playground is not a good idea, Daniel!)

Then Amantha telling Daniel she was done being his babysitter really drove home the point that he is going to be completely alone.

That scene with the Senator was scary--having a stroke and being unable to communicate is one of my big fears.
Old 07-11-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Really enjoyed the first two seasons.
I need to find a recap of the events for the end of s02 - my brain is blank these days...
Old 08-16-15, 12:09 PM

No posts in a long time- anyone still watching???

Have always loved this show, but to me, this season has elevated Rectify to one of the all time great tv shows ever.

The whole season was just fantastic, and the finale was beautiful and haunting. It is such a shame that almost no one watches or even knows about it.

Just amazing stuff....

Good article/writeup on the finale:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/14...fronting-quiet
Old 08-16-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The season ended on a pretty positive note, in contrast to last season's finale.

Some of the family scenes are so tense and uncomfortable to watch, but so good. The stress on the parents' marriage, the interactions between the mom and Teddy Jr., really any scene with Teddy Jr. in it. It's heartbreaking to watch what this has done to all of them.

It's great how Amantha--even as messed up as she is--is often the ray of hope for healing. When she and Teddy Jr. were at the house together I thought, "This is going to get ugly." But she saw how he was hurting and immediately softened toward him.

I wonder if the mom getting to know the diner waitress (that the Senator was hooking up with) could lead to anything? Maybe the senator has a big mouth in bed? Speaking of... the scene with the lawyer telling off the senator was good, though it's perhaps a bit cowardly to kick someone when they're down like that.
Old 08-16-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
the scene with the lawyer telling off the senator was good, though it's perhaps a bit cowardly to kick someone when they're down like that.
I was OK with it. The Senator has made a career out of preying on weaker people, with some pretty serious consequences. He has shown no remorse, but instead has doubled down on it. Even afflicted, he had no remorse. And it's not like the lawyer pushed him and his wheelchair down the stairs or something. He simply told him exactly what he was going to do. If it's painful for him to contemplate the results of his horrible actions, so be it.
Old 01-21-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just burned through S03 (finally) over the last few days.
I love the relaxed, almost glacial pacing on this show. Great acting from everyone involved.

This could have served as a series finale of sorts, at least for Daniel and Trey (oh the irony).
Has there been confirmation of a season 4?
Old 01-21-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Has there been confirmation of a season 4?
Yes, Sundance renewed it for a 4th and final season.

Will air sometime this year.
Old 10-25-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rectify (Sundance) -- Series Discussion Thread

Season 4 premiere is tomorrow night! I'm glad they know this is the final season. I don't expect them to wrap everything up in a tidy bow. It's not that kind of show and one of the themes is that life is messy. I do hope there is some sort of catharsis, though, for Daniel, Tawny, Amantha, etc.

I guess Daniel will be mostly separate from his family, since he left the state. Maybe some new characters for him to interact with.
Old 10-26-16, 06:46 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q_I95Ovmt6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Daniel has begun his new life at a halfway house in Nashville. Separated from his family, Daniel struggles to manage life after prison. The family that he left behind is fractured, but not completely broken. Can they find ways to move forward?
8 episode 4th and final season.
Old 10-28-16, 05:21 PM

The season 4 premiere was yet another incredible hour of television. I can't even put into words how much I love this show. Every episode packs a huge emotional punch...

I have said this before but it is a crying shame that so few people know about it. I think it is one of the best written shows of all time.
Old 10-28-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by dwells
The season 4 premiere was yet another incredible hour of television. I can't even put into words how much I love this show. Every episode packs a huge emotional punch...

I have said this before but it is a crying shame that so few people know about it. I think it is one of the best written shows of all time.
It's a powerful drama but the audience for this kind of material is limited. There is no doubt it features some of the best writing and acting on television.
Old 10-28-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I wasn't expecting it to get so emotional so quickly. Aden Young (Daniel) really should be getting more attention for his work here.

I felt kind of iffy about the halfway house as a plot device at first, but when Daniel finally broke through and gave voice to his feelings, I was on board. Really great scene.

The artist looks like a good potential friend or love interest, but we've seen other people come in and out of Daniel's life so it's hard to say if he will make a long-term connection with her or if she's just passing through.

Based on the preview for the rest of the season... I hope the show doesn't devolve into a 'thriller'. I have faith that it won't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.