TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rectify (Sundance) -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
re: Rectify (Sundance) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i think the show does what i can only call "small, quiet moments between people" really well. i am really looking forward to the next season.
Thats a really good way of putting it! The acting on this show is just top-notch. I'm looking forward to the next ten episodes. I don't necessarily know if the show has alot of longevity but I really really wanna see how it plays out.
Old 04-20-14, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

season one is on netflix
i haven't seen it
but a lot critics do love this show
Old 06-17-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Season Two Starting up this week. Don't forget to set your DVRs!
Old 06-17-14, 10:36 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Season Two Starting up this week. Don't forget to set your DVRs!
I'll create a Season 2 thread next week. I keep meaning to watch this...but I just haven't.
Old 06-17-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I'll create a Season 2 thread next week. I keep meaning to watch this...but I just haven't.
Cool. You should give it a try...it's exceedingly well acted and written.
Old 06-17-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cannot wait for more dudes to get chocked out and have coffee grounds poured into their ass. (artistically and in tastefully shot light)
Old 06-17-14, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Cool. You should give it a try...it's exceedingly well acted and written.
I've been meaning to for months. I had the first season recorded but my DVR crapped out and I lost everything. This was before it was added to Netflix. I'll watch the pilot tonight before the Fargo finale and finish the rest out this week.
Old 06-18-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's a heavy, heavy show with dark emotional themes. I wouldn't binge watch it like a lighter show.
Old 06-18-14, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a heavy, heavy show with dark emotional themes. I wouldn't binge watch it like a lighter show.
Those are exactly the types of shows I prefer to watch in a short amount of time.
Old 06-18-14, 07:36 AM

I'm going to rewatch some of the last few episodes from last season to refresh my memory before season 2 starts.
Old 06-19-14, 07:01 AM

Rectify (Sundance) - Season 2 Thread - 6/19/14

Season one of "Rectify" depicted the first week in the life of Daniel Holden (Aden Young) following his release from death row to a world he no longer understood, to build a life he may not be allowed to keep. As Daniel tried to find a place in his reconfigured family and within a community deeply divided about his return, his presence reignited old wounds and introduced unexpected complications for those closest to him. In season two we find Daniel becoming an active participant in his life, making decisions and thinking about the future as he struggles to find meaning in a dangerous and unpredictable world. It will also delve into the lives changed by Daniel's return and the ripple effect his actions have on the people around him. "Rectify" debuted in 2013 to much critical acclaim and is SundanceTV's first wholly-owned scripted production. Included on over 35 year-end "best of" lists, including Time, TV Guide, and A.V. Club, season one was heralded by The Daily Beast as "a breathtaking work of immense beauty and a thought-provoking meditation on the nature of crime and punishment, of identity and solitude, of guilt and absolution. It is, quite simply, the best new show of 2013." Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times said "'Rectify' is a revelation that sets a new standard," while Matt Roush of TV Guide gave the series a "10 out of 10," commenting that 'Rectify' is "impeccably written and acted, quietly suspenseful and achingly poignant." Gran Via's Mark Johnson (Rain Man, "Breaking Bad") and Melissa Bernstein ("Breaking Bad", "Halt and Catch Fire") are executive producers. Robin Sweet (The Reluctant Fundamentalist) is a Producer, Director of Photography is Paul Sommers ("The Vampire Diaries"), Production Designer is Hugh D.G. Moody ("The Glades") and Costume Designer is Carol Cutshall ("One Tree Hill"). Starring are: Aden Young (Killer Elite, The Tree) as Daniel, Abigail Spencer ("Burning Love", Oz: The Great & Powerful) as Daniel's sister Amantha, J. Smith-Cameron ("True Blood") as Daniel's mother Janet, Luke Kirby (Take This Waltz, Mania Days) as Daniel's lawyer Jon Stern, Clayne Crawford ("24," "Justified") as Daniel's stepbrother Ted Jr., Adelaide Clemens ("Parade's End," The Great Gatsby) as Ted Jr.'s wife Tawney, Bruce McKinnon (The Way Home) as Daniel's stepfather Ted Sr., and Jake Austin Walker (The Chaperone) as Daniel's half- brother Jared.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Abigail Spencer as Amantha Holden
· Adelaide Clements as Tawney Talbot
· Aden Young as Daniel Holden
· Bruce McKinnon as Ted Talbot, Sr.
· Clayne Crawford as Ted Talbot, Jr.
· Hal Holbrook as Rutherford Gaines
· J. Smith Cameron as Janet Talbot
· Jake Austin Walker as Jared Holden
· Luke Kirby as Jon Stern
· Michael O'Neill as Roland Foulkes

CREW INFORMATION:
· Keith Gordon as PROD/DIR (Pilot)
· Mark Johnson as EP
· Melissa Bernstein as EP
· Ray McKinnon as CRTR/EP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8gEkGXs4nGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
10 episodes second season.
Old 06-19-14, 08:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Rectify (SundanceTV) - Season 2 Thread - 6/19/14

Glad to see the episode order was bumped up. The first season was 6 (I think).
Old 06-19-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I hadn't realized that directv only has sundance in SD, not HD. I had downloaded last season in hd, you can imagine my disappointment watching this one in blurry, fuzzy sd. I think I'll go back to finding dl's.

Otherwise, good start. I need to probably rewatch the last episode of S1 to get refresh my memory. I'm hoping they don't leave him in a coma past next week, that will get old quickly.
Old 06-20-14, 07:04 AM

Yea. What the fuck is with Sundance that it doesn't air in HD. OnDemand has it in HD, so why not air it that way? Annoying.
Old 06-21-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Who was the guy with glasses who came to the hospital and talked with Amantha? He brought a present for Daniel.
Old 06-22-14, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Who was the guy with glasses who came to the hospital and talked with Amantha? He brought a present for Daniel.
iirc amantha was going to rent a place and he was the owner or something like that
Old 06-23-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. Forgot I only get Sundance in SD. It's painful to watch. I may have to sit this one out til DVD at least.
Old 07-04-14, 07:33 PM

i wish daniel didnt throw out all his old stuff. if someone had told him about Ebay, he could be rolling in money right now.

somehow i don't think the idea of rent a rim is going to work out as well as Ted Jr thinks. adios casa de Talbot. hello the couch at the tire shoppe.

kinda slow first two episodes, but good to see daniel back on his bare feet.
Old 07-11-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy cow--that scene this week where Teddy told the Sheriff about what Daniel did to him with the coffee grounds--I was laughing my ass off!

Teddy is such a douche. I like that his buddy was telling him what a bad idea renting rims is and pissed him off. Every scene between Tawny and Teddy is soooo uncomfortable, it's hard to watch. I've tried to look at things from his perspective, to see if I could sympathize with him in any way, but no, he's just an ass.

Amantha working in retail? Yeah, that's going to be fun. She could barely look interested when applying for the job. What's she going to do when some obnoxious customer gets on her nerves?

I really liked the scenes with Daniel in Atlanta. Frances Fisher looks good for 62, I thought maybe they were going to have a "moment." She could tell something was up--not sure she bought his story about owning a bookstore. The scene with Daniel visiting Kerwin's mother and brother was well done and really sad.
Old 08-16-14, 11:21 PM

surprised people aren't commenting on this season. really amazing television.

penultimate episode. watching tawny tell ted jr the news, the thing she was doing with her fingers on the hem of her skirt was so real and human. watching these people feels like watching real people and is almost invasive or intrusive. there is a slight air to me of "should i be watching this private moment between people?"

i still have no idea if Daniel is guilty or innocent and i get the notion neither does he.
Old 08-17-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i still have no idea if Daniel is guilty or innocent and i get the notion neither does he.
The way they've played it, he doesn't know because he was drunk. Of course at any moment they can decide he remembers, but that's how they've played it so far.
Old 08-17-14, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

penultimate episode. watching tawny tell ted jr the news, the thing she was doing with her fingers on the hem of her skirt was so real and human. watching these people feels like watching real people and is almost invasive or intrusive. there is a slight air to me of "should i be watching this private moment between people?"
I agree--that was a very powerful scene, and played beautifully by the actors. Tawny is probably my favorite character in the show--she's grown more than any other. And even though Teddy is a bona fide asshole, there are occasional moments where I feel true sympathy and pity for him.
Old 08-19-14, 06:56 AM

Renewed for a 3rd season: http://deadline.com/2014/08/rectify-...ndance-821427/
Old 08-22-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad it was renewed--they left a lot of balls up in the air.

Do you think Daniel was telling the truth? It's hard to tell if he's saying what really happened or just saying what they want to hear so he can be done with it. You don't want to believe he did it, but what if he did?
Old 08-22-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, I'll repeat what I've said before... the writers can decide the truth is whatever they want it to be.

That said, based on the evidence I've seen on screen, he didn't do it. There's no reason I can think of to believe he made up the whole story of running off into the woods high on mushrooms and seeing the girl attacked from a distance (by people he named), then finding her already-dead body.

He essentially told everyone in the room, "I didn't do it." But the people across the table never wavered from their position if he didn't confess, he could expect the hammer to come down. I got the impression he confessed for the same reason he confessed previously and was always going to confess this time -- he just wants it all to be over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.