Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadliest Catch, season 9 -- 4/16/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Deadliest Catch, season 9 -- 4/16/13

Originally Posted by Traxan
And there goes another Wizard greenhorn. I'm actually amazed Freddie held his cool and didn't mess him up.

Damn, poor Jake is being treated like shit.
I don't blame that greenhorn at all in this situation. Who the hell would stand and take things thrown at them and not just tossed, but thrown. We use to treat greenhorns different as well however, we did not physically abuse them.
Old 07-23-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Holy hell I can't believe Freddie did that. For all the staged stuff on reality shows, jumping into that water was certifiably insane.
Old 07-30-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesforDC
I have watched DC from its onset and many a crab fisherman has come and gone, also a few captains. One more so than others has made DC very entertaining in his own way. Not to say that DC is not entertaining, it is very much so however, Elliot gives the show a whole different angle and aspect. Not sure how anyone can work for this idiot. He actually needs to take interactive management classes on how to deal with employees. If Elliot would worry more about fishing than women, his crew would be more productive and safer.

Between Elliot and Keith, I'm not real sure which one would be the worse to work for. Keith is very unique in the way he handles situations on his ship. With the incident involving a cameraman a year ago and the greenhorn this year, I am not sure if Keith is doing this for ratings or he is just a hot head that will, one day, get the same in return.

I have a question concerning the incident after the 55 foot wave hit the Saga.......will OSHA be looking into things since no one knows where the life suits are and no safety meeting has been conducted. And how about allowing the ship, Saga, to build with ice and the total disregard for this, even after the crew suggested clearing the ice. I sure look forward to an answer concerning this.

Keep up the good work Discovery Channel. Love the show.
I really hate Elliot, but it is endlessly amusing to see his personal life unravel due to his complete lack of understanding about....well just about anything. I work with a guy who is almost exactly the same as Elliot in looks, build and personality. The guy is socially inept to say the least and he has the same kind of love life.

Keith on the other hand and every other guy on that boat are colossal douches. I just simply do not get the whole hazing style shit they pull. If, as they state, its the most dangerous job in the world, then i know if i was running a boat i would want as little screwing around as possible. The only time i have enjoyed watching Keith on this show was when Johnathan hit/pushed him. I was hoping Keith would get a serious beat down there. I do miss Phil.
Old 07-30-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 751 Posts

Keith really annoys me. He and his crew do a great job of catching crab but he seems to have the complex of someone who got his ass kicked a lot when he was younger. That greenhorn didn't handle the situation well at all but he shouldn't have been chastised for not waiting his hair cut.
Old 08-01-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

So who saw the ending? That deckhand with the manged hand...

So Keith was a douche to his brother too, then had to eat his words. Poetic. And it looks like Josh Harris is going to lead the Cornelia Marie next year. I hope his brother gets his act together. The word is no one would hire him this year because he's such a druggie.
Old 08-01-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Josh can get the CM going next year. He really needs to start going the Jake A route and try to get some captain experience so he's not on deck of his own boat for his career.
Old 08-01-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of amazing the range of pay for some of these guys. That new boat that jake anderson was on, the deck guys got like $119K, elliots guys got like 22K. I wish they'd break out how long each boat was out, sometimes it seems like 10 days, other boats seem like a month.
Old 08-01-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would imagine that Elliot's boat had a very low quota. I think the Kiska Sea was pulling in more weight than even the Wizard, who is usually the biggest/highest quota boat on the show.
Old 08-01-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, when they showed the totals, Kiska Sea had just shy of 2.5 million pounds, way more than anyone else.

I'm a little bummed that Mike Fourtner is leaving Time Bandit, as he was my favorite deckhand on that boat.
Old 08-01-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For sure. Mike was on the Rollo back in season 2, right? He's probably the best TV personality out of anyone on the show. Only time will tell if he actually decides to leave or not. A few crew members have said that only to be right back on the boat for King Crab the following season. Lenny on the Wizard comes to mind. He "retired" like 3 years ago.
Old 08-02-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought it was a very enjoyable season, and the finale painted some really interesting possibilities for next year...the 10th season! Who would have believed a show about catching crab would still be going so strong after 10 years when it is still primarily about, well, catching crab. Can't wait to go fishing with the boys again next spring!
Old 08-02-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I thought it was a very enjoyable season, and the finale painted some really interesting possibilities for next year...the 10th season! Who would have believed a show about catching crab would still be going so strong after 10 years when it is still primarily about, well, catching crab. Can't wait to go fishing with the boys again next spring!
I figure they will keep doing the show untill one of the main boats and a real accident(sinks or something like that) and somebody dies, then they will stop
Old 08-02-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The good think about DC for viewers is that the people on the show can't really change because of it. What I mean is, they don't get any more business (quota) for being famous so they're still going out and doing the same job every year. Shows like American Chopper change vastly as it says on the air because they gain business due to the show. They grew into a huge company and quickly had to file bankruptcy when the show was first cancelled.
Old 08-04-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Keith on the other hand and every other guy on that boat are colossal douches. I just simply do not get the whole hazing style shit they pull. If, as they state, its the most dangerous job in the world, then i know if i was running a boat i would want as little screwing around as possible. The only time i have enjoyed watching Keith on this show was when Johnathan hit/pushed him. I was hoping Keith would get a serious beat down there. I do miss Phil.
Completely agree with this statement. Keith almost encourages it, and takes pride in teh fact that he chews through greenhorns every season. He seemingly encourages treating the horns like shit, but he stepped over the line when he hit Dane. Johnathan had words with him. JR had words with him on the Bait. The persona he presents on teh show is that he is an asshole.