Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hannibal -- Series Premiere -- "APÉRITIF" -- 4/04/13

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,738 Posts
Re: Hannibal -- Series Premiere -- "APÉRITIF" -- 4/04/13

1.6 for a 10pm show is actually not that bad. Considering this is a network and timeslot that hardly anyone watches. It was facing new episodes of Scandal and Elementary, so at least it wasn't a disaster like Do No Harm. NBC isn't going to cancel this show so late in the season. Just going to ride it out and see how it goes. Right now Hannibal is scheduled to air until the end of June.
Old 04-05-13, 10:59 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

If the quality keeps up, I can see this building some momentum through word-of-mouth. Hannibal is a pretty familiar character to many.
Old 04-05-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI
For those who missed it or were unable to record due to lack of tuners, this episode is now on Hulu, Hulu Plus (for TV streaming) and NBC.com.

I just read an interview with Fuller and he said if the show continues beyond a first season, he plans to keep each season 13 episodes.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-05-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-05-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Worse than Awake and we all know how that turned out. Bah, I dvr'd this but now I'm wondering if I should bother?
You're going to base whether you give the show a chance on its premiere numbers? I don't get it. Or are you just concerned that it's going to be cancelled quickly?
Old 04-05-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I read a few tweets from some TV writers and they seem to be in consensus the numbers are good considering the horrible timeslot and night. I mean NBC comedy Thursday gets shit ratings now, so for this to get the 2nd highest ratings on NBC last night behind the Office is good.
Old 04-05-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Just a thought, but did Crawford and Graham kind of remind you of Carrie and Saul from Homeland? Especially considering Dancy played Graham as kind of manic and obsessive like Carrie. Kind of ironic considering Dancy is married to Claire Danes.

The promo for next week showed that:

Spoiler:

Gillian Anderson is guest starring as Lecter's psychiatrist.

Looking forward to that.
Old 04-05-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed this quite a bit. It felt better than most of the other network TV shows that deal with this type of subject matter. I only have two complaints. First, I had the same issue a lot of you had in understanding Mads. This usually isn't an issue, but I'll just use captions going forward if this continues to be an issue. Also, I know this show isn't about us trying to guess the killer before Graham does, but I felt like a lot of his deductions felt like bullshit. The leap from realizing the killer was trying to find girls that were his daughter? Whatever, dude. But everything else around the show was good enough to make this issue not be that big of a deal for me.
Old 04-05-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I didn't watch the show, but man the in-show ads for this on the network were terrible... they take up the entire bottom of the screen.
Old 04-05-13, 03:05 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't watch the show, but man the in-show ads for this on the network were terrible... they take up the entire bottom of the screen.
You mean you didn't join us for dinner...?

Also...it was nice to see David Slade direct something with some balls again after the Twilight misstep. Coincidence...he directed the Awake pilot as well.
Old 04-05-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
You mean you didn't join us for dinner...?

Also...it was nice to see David Slade direct something with some balls again after the Twilight misstep. Coincidence...he directed the Awake pilot as well.
Fuller said on Twitter that Slade directed 3 episodes.
Old 04-05-13, 03:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked this a lot. Fishburne is great, and Mads is perfect at evoking a sense of eeriness that you can't quite put your finger on. His introduction was exceptional.

The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw that bathroom was The Shining, definitely.

Apparently, if Fuller can get enough seasons, he wants to go so far as to cover the events of Red Dragon. That would be interesting.
Old 04-05-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 776 Likes on 632 Posts

The TV critic in the local paper liked though complained that Mads the guy playing Hannibal is boring.

Is that true?
Old 04-05-13, 03:40 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Fuller said on Twitter that Slade directed 3 episodes.
Old 04-05-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Move it to Friday, team it with Grimm.

4.3 and 1.6 demo you can have a long shelf life on Friday.
Old 04-05-13, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought it was well done. On board for the remainder.
Old 04-05-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Move it to Friday, team it with Grimm.

4.3 and 1.6 demo you can have a long shelf life on Friday.
That's a good idea...Grimm/Hannibal would be great Friday-night appointment TV for those of us without lives.
Old 04-05-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ugh, this shit is driving me to cut the cord. Every broadcast version is littered with promos & onscreen ads, while the versions streamed from the network websites, itunes, or Hulu plus don't have the constant reminder bug that READY FOR LOVE IS IN 5 DAYS ON NBC.

Because if there's any crossover potention with Hannibal, it's some reality romance show. Maybe Hannibal was good, I don't know because I got tired of looking at that after about 20 minutes.
Old 04-05-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the complaints about the ads on the bottom of the screen. They used to go away, but now it's up there for the whole entire show. It can be distracting.
Old 04-06-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What I loved about Red Dragon (the book) and Manhunter was that the story was allowed to develop at a calm pace, with Grahmn's detective work being the centerpiece that drove the story. I liked the 1st episode of Hannibal, but my complaint is that they try to cram a lot in a one hour show. It shouldn't follow the conventions of "here is the crime and here is the resolution at the end of the episode). The show should slow down a bit and let it breathe.
Old 04-07-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure today's TV audience has the attention span for a slow burn.
Old 04-07-13, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 200 Likes on 162 Posts

Especially on a network show that is almost entirely ratings dependent. I would feel much, much more confident about this show's prospects if it were on a cable channel.

Personally, I heard Hannibal Lecter series, and I had no interest. It's pretty much been run into the ground at this point. Then I heard it was by Bryan Fuller and starring Mads Mikkelsen. With that, they have me for as long as it runs.

I'm still hoping Mikkelsen gets famous enough to get cast as Roland in the Dark Tower series if/when that gets made.
Old 04-07-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryan Fuller brought me into this. I liked it, has potential. I've only seen Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, around the time when Red Dragon came out, so I'm not super up with Lecter/bored of his schtick. I'll be back.

One thing that made me smile is having Kids in the Hall-er Scott Thompson in a (seemingly) dramatic role. When I saw his name in the credits I said "Well, that's got to be someone else with a similar name. Looking at IMDB though, it says he's in every episode.
Old 04-07-13, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 134 Posts

I liked it a lot. I didn't really have a problem with Mads accent. I'm curious to see how they're going to develop the Hannibal/Graham relationship. And yeah, this felt more like a short motion picture than a tv series and that is a good thing.

Also, I laughed at the beginning of that bathroom conversation between Crawford and Graham. I'm definitely tuning in for the next ep.
Old 04-07-13, 04:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
What I loved about Red Dragon (the book) and Manhunter was that the story was allowed to develop at a calm pace, with Grahmn's detective work being the centerpiece that drove the story. I liked the 1st episode of Hannibal, but my complaint is that they try to cram a lot in a one hour show. It shouldn't follow the conventions of "here is the crime and here is the resolution at the end of the episode). The show should slow down a bit and let it breathe.
The episode had a lot of setup to deal with. I imagine the rest of the episodes will be more balanced.

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
One thing that made me smile is having Kids in the Hall-er Scott Thompson in a (seemingly) dramatic role. When I saw his name in the credits I said "Well, that's got to be someone else with a similar name. Looking at IMDB though, it says he's in every episode.
I thought that was him in the morgue scene, but thought he looked too good (I recently watched Death Comes To Town and the KitH are looking pretty raggedy at this point). Then I saw him again in the field scene and knew it was him. Happy to see him, too.
Old 04-07-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't care for it, and I agree with others who said Mads was difficult to understand. I wasn't a fan of Fishburne on CSI, so I was disappointed to see him in this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.