Reload this Page >

Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

Old 05-31-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
re: Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

AV Club has posted a Random Roles with Tatiana Maslany, with the twist that all the roles are from Orphan Black:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/orpha...-her-ro,98458/

It's a great interview, but they missed two questions that I'd like to see answered:

1) What was the audition process like? Did she know going in that she'd be playing clones, or were they coy and asked her to read for apparently several separate roles?

2) How she handles the clones impersonating each other, like Allison impersonating Sarah and vice versa. The ability to play Allison-as-Sarah and have it come off as that instead of just Sarah is crazy.
Old 06-01-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing! I'm actually thinking about picking up S1 to watch extras and behind the scenes. I they put some effort behind them, we could see some really insightful segments.
Old 06-01-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a finale! Lots of death in this one.

If Tatiana Maslany's performance this season isn't Emmy-worthy, I don't know what is.

The patent stuff, of course, would never fly in court. It's a cool plot point, though, so I'm willing to roll with it. Plus, the clones have every reason to be paranoid.

It was probably inevitable that Elena wouldn't last the season. She was way too far gone. (Although, we didn't get confirmation she's dead).

Argghh! We have to wait almost a year for Season 2.
Old 06-02-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Since Allison's husband is a monitor I'm thinking either he was turned when they broke up earlier in their relationship. Or his name really isn't Donny but an adult pretending to be a teenager to monitor Allison in high school?
Old 06-02-13, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think we are in agreement about Thomas' organization.

However, I'm still open to the idea there could be other clone lines out there.
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps every 10 years or so (add some 20 year olds next season ... ).

I thought the patent/rights stuff in the DNA was interesting given some current Supreme Court cases on patented modified genes and plants.
Old 06-02-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Since Allison's husband is a monitor I'm thinking either he was turned when they broke up earlier in their relationship. Or his name really isn't Donny but an adult pretending to be a teenager to monitor Allison in high school?
I guess it really wasn't Aynsley.

Spoiler:
Strangling death by garbage disposal and no one will save you? Allison, much like Honey Badger, don't care.

I think Donny is playing the long con, and started watching her in high school. there was that phone convo when he was burning some things earlier in season that i guess hinted at it.
Old 06-02-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Are they hinting the clones aren't mentally stable and all of them are bound to turn bad? Allison, suburban housewife, first attacks her husband and now knowingly lets someone die.
Old 06-02-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I think Donny is playing the long con, and started watching her in high school. there was that phone convo when he was burning some things earlier in season that i guess hinted at it.
I don't think that Donny was originally a monitor when they started dating. It just seems implausible that they recruited a teenager, and also the group seems to like to have dirt on their monitors in order to blackmail compliance.

When he talked to Allison about the locked box he had, he mention he had an affair when he and Allison had broken up at some point in the past. I'm guessing what happened was that he and Allison were dating, they broke up, and the group uncovered dirt on him and blackmailed him into getting back together with her and monitoring her for them.
Old 06-03-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't think that Donny was originally a monitor when they started dating. It just seems implausible that they recruited a teenager, and also the group seems to like to have dirt on their monitors in order to blackmail compliance.

When he talked to Allison about the locked box he had, he mention he had an affair when he and Allison had broken up at some point in the past. I'm guessing what happened was that he and Allison were dating, they broke up, and the group uncovered dirt on him and blackmailed him into getting back together with her and monitoring her for them.
I was thinking along the same lines but how could you really blackmail a teenager and make it last this long? Besides murder or some sex crime anything else he could of done is basically BS when you grow up. Donny doesn't look the type to commit a crime unless it was an accidentally killing somebody.

I'm now thinking he isn't who he says he is but an adult who pretended to be a teenager and is being blackmailed. Also, when he was being tortured he took it pretty well. He may have had some training.That would make more sense.
Old 06-04-13, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know. As Sarah as Beth showed us, you'd slip up quote quick. Both Art and Paul were on to her. If Donny was t real Donny, he'd have a hard time knowing deep details of the true youthful relationship.

Great finale. Still not sure if ProClone is a prototype or one of X, who just chose to align herself. Maybe she was made self aware early as a control?

Interesting twist, no pun, with Ansley. Hope Alison finds out truth. Will be interesting to see her handle that.

I hope Art is in a position to help next season. He found out the truth and we didn't have sit through a "come on Sarah, don't lie to me", conversation.

at Felix trying to come on to the cop lady.

Can't say I'm sad to see Helana go. She was a good plot device and dynamic to the clone set, but she was too unstable.

I'm wondering if Kira is the cure for the affliction that ails the clones (at a minimum coughing blood).

So...biggest thing; Mrs S was in on it the entire time?! Or did she take Kira to keep her safe. I didn't get a good look, but that was supposed to be her in the photo. If true, will make some interesting conversations next year.
Old 06-06-13, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

What I really want to know is why Casima is so much hotter than the other characters despite being played by the same actress
Old 06-06-13, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
What I really want to know is why Casima is so much hotter than the other characters despite being played by the same actress
Push-up bra.
Old 06-06-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also saw something rectangular on the ER image with regard to Kira. The nurse was even shocked. Maybe an enchancement of some sort? I guess if it was anything more complex they would have kept her. I was expecting the cops to show up.
Granted I don't remember exactly what we were looking at in that ultrasound, but I had the feeling she was pregnant. That's probably completely stupid now that I've exited the vacuum of watching it alone

I don't think the Helena / Sarah "reveal" is a huge deal unless only 1 egg was implanted.
Good call.

So...biggest thing; Mrs S was in on it the entire time?! Or did she take Kira to keep her safe. I didn't get a good look, but that was supposed to be her in the photo. If true, will make some interesting conversations next year.
I don't see any debate on whether or not Mrs. S was in on it. Between the birth mother's dying breaths and the photo with the blacked-out names on the back, it seems obvious. I'm not convinced that was her in the foreground of the photo, but I think that's the implication. You'd think that Sarah would have reacted stronger to seeing her foster mother in that setting, even 30 years younger the recognition should have been more obvious if that were the case.
Old 06-06-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Great season finale. Watched it last night. Honestly this show was not on my to-watch list from this Spring. I rarely watch BBC America and after this thread was created and I read a few positive reviews, I set a season pass and was absolutely mesmerized by it.

at Alison watching her bitchy neighbor get strangled by the garbage disposal. The Allison character absolutely cracks me up.

Honestly, this is a breakout role for Tatiana Maslany. She's done a phenomenal job considering the complexity of all these characters.

The scenes with Helena and Sarah and how Helena viciously murdered the birth mother was crazy.

So can someone clarify, what is wrong with Cosima?

Interesting cliffhanger with Kira being abducted. The wait until season 2 is going to be so long. Your talking possibly up to 9 months!!
Old 06-06-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Glasses.
Old 06-06-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I glanced and thought you were reply to DJ asking what was wrong with Cosima.
Old 06-07-13, 02:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

well emmy's might not nominate, but golden globes hopefully will give an award..

tatiana was fantastic.

this was no patty duke, the filmmaking and directing was top notch, i could rarely tell we were looking at film making trickery, top notch!

great to see max headroom working on something relevant last time i saw him was in battle of the bulbs v wonder years voice... daniel stern...

easily one of my favorite shows of the year...

way too short though, was hoping for 2 more eps...

please bbca, bring it back in jan with 16 eps!
Old 06-08-13, 06:34 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I just can't get over how amazing Maslany is in this. Not only playing 6-7 completely distinctive characters but also playing one of those characters imitating another.
I feel like she just schooled an entire industry this season
Old 06-08-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the glasses make Cosima hot. I also liked the way the ProClone looked too.
Old 06-09-13, 03:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I DVR'd the marathon last week, and finally got around to watching the first episode. Wow... totally hooked.
Old 06-09-13, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also DVR'd the marathon and finished it today. I felt the first few episodes were okay but the show really found its footing mid season.
Old 06-09-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thankful for BBC America running that marathon prior to the finale...

A glue gun interrogation, a Ukrainian religious zealot swinging a tail like a glo-stick in a rave...
A ridiculous and ridiculously addictive, fun well-done show. My favorite new entry of the past TV season, it deserves a larger audience and Ms. Muslany is amazing!

Soccer mom ends up being my favorite clone and I look forward to her hiphop ab kicking Donny next season.

I hope Art is in a position to help next season. He found out the truth and we didn't have sit through a "come on Sarah, don't lie to me", conversation.
THIS, and that they kinda threw a bit too much in that finale were some of the minor gripes I had with the first season. Still, grade A stuff especially on (I'm presuming) a small budget, and I'm hoping for next season the show's mythology with the clones doesn't become too convoluted.
Old 06-10-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Television Critics Association released their nominations for the 2013 TCA Awards today. Orphan Black was nominated for Best New Program, while Tatiana Maslany was nominated for "Individual Achievement in Drama," aka best actor (male or female).

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...house-of-cards
Old 06-10-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the show deserves to win and she definitely does. It doesn't get any better on TV than her performance this season.
Old 06-11-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She won best actress in drama from the Critics' Choice Awards too: http://tvline.com/2013/06/10/critics...-winners-2013/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.