Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

I'm through episode six right now and I am loving this show. Really well crafted, and they do a great job of differentiating the clones. Tatiana Maslany is incredibly talented. Not only does she make each clone feel distinct, but you can tell when she's acting as one clone pretending to be another clone. That takes skill.
Old 05-19-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God dammit! I did not see that coming with Kira. I literally jumped with shock!

I can't believe there's only two episodes left. All the pieces and players are being utilized masterfully. Nothing seems extraneous yet.

Tatiana definitely deserves an Emmy nomination at the very least for her work. It's incredible.
Old 05-20-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Caught up with the last 3 episodes. Such a good new show.

Shocked at the end when Sarah's daughter got hit by the car.

Okay what is up with the dude who had the tail? What is he supposed to be? Obviously he knows a little too much about the conspiracy that's why the Asian guy poisoned him.

I don't think Tatiana could win an Emmy since this is a Canadian production. I agree her work has been amazing. The Allison character cracks me up.
Old 05-20-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Alright this bugged the shit out of me.

When Cosima made out and had sex with that blonde grad student who is a spy.

I know a lot of shows do it, but who the hell lies in bed fully clothed in their underwear or lingerie after having sex?

That kiss was pretty hot though.
Old 05-20-13, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orphan Black is a BBC America/Space co-production, so it should be eligible for the Emmys. The actual company doing the producing is Temple Street, which is Canadian, but BBC America is putting up half the money to make the series.
Old 05-20-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
God dammit! I did not see that coming with Kira. I literally jumped with shock!
I kinda hated that part, since Kira seems a little to bright a girl to do something as stupid as crossing the street without looking. It seemed like a cheap shock, something this show hasn't done until now.

Originally Posted by DJariya
When Cosima made out and had sex with that blonde grad student who is a spy. I know a lot of shows do it, but who the hell lies in bed fully clothed in their underwear or lingerie after having sex?
It's especially surprising considering how much nudity there's been with Sarah and Paul, even earlier in the same episode.

Originally Posted by diditagain
Orphan Black is a BBC America/Space co-production, so it should be eligible for the Emmys. The actual company doing the producing is Temple Street, which is Canadian, but BBC America is putting up half the money to make the series.
Here's the relevant part of the Emmy eligibility rules:
http://www.emmys.tv/sites/emmys.tv/f...roced_rev6.pdf
Foreign television production is ineligible unless it is the result of a co-production (both financially and creatively) between U.S. and foreign partners, which precedes the start of production, and has a commitment to be shown on U.S. television prior to the start of production.
I think Orphan Black fits these rules, so it should be eligible for Emmys. It's not likely to get nominated for any though, in my opinion.
Old 05-20-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Alright this bugged the shit out of me.

When Cosima made out and had sex with that blonde grad student who is a spy.

I know a lot of shows do it, but who the hell lies in bed fully clothed in their underwear or lingerie after having sex?

That kiss was pretty hot though.
I always think about that too, also when they are alone in bed and sit up and cover themselves with a sheet..

Anyway, this is definitely one of my favorite shows..it's outstanding. Really came out of nowhere for me.. I'd never heard of it until after a few episodes had aired.
Old 05-26-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Terrific episode last night! A lot of things came to a head--it could have been the season ender, but we've got one more week to go. Tatiana Maslany continues to shine.

Alison and Felix make a fun pair. She's so uptight and he's so not.

So the jig is up on "Beth." It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out for Sarah.

Are we buying that Delphine has really fallen for and wants to help Cosima? Or is it just more manipulation?

The mysterious woman on the phone (with Leekie? I forget)... [just speculation in the spoiler]
Spoiler:
was another clone, or maybe the original? We didn't get a clear look at her, but from the fuzzy reflection in the window and her stature and voice it appeared to be Maslany playing her.

Can't wait for next week!
Old 05-27-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Terrific episode last night! A lot of things came to a head--it could have been the season ender, but we've got one more week to go. Tatiana Maslany continues to shine.

Alison and Felix make a fun pair. She's so uptight and he's so not.

So the jig is up on "Beth." It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out for Sarah.

Are we buying that Delphine has really fallen for and wants to help Cosima? Or is it just more manipulation?

The mysterious woman on the phone (with Leekie? I forget)... [just speculation in the spoiler]
Spoiler:
was another clone, or maybe the original? We didn't get a clear look at her, but from the fuzzy reflection in the window and her stature and voice it appeared to be Maslany playing her.

Can't wait for next week!
regarding spoiler, i think she may be the original.

i wonder if Helena can have kids, or Sarah really is an anomaly. Who would volunteer to find out? Perhaps lull her into docile-ness by giving her some jello or a muffin, and then plowing away.

god i wish the season were longer.
Old 05-27-13, 03:37 PM

Why didn't the doctor tell Sarah about the odd thing on the ultrasound monitor? Makes me think he's in on the conspiracy.
Old 05-27-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anywhere I can stream this? My cable system doesn't have BBC America and I have no desire to watch it hunkered over a PC. I've heard hulu has it but can't find it.
Old 05-27-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anywhere I can stream this? My cable system doesn't have BBC America and I have no desire to watch it hunkered over a PC. I've heard hulu has it but can't find it.
Amazon has it for $2 an episode (or $3 per for HD):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0K0UPW/

Hulu may have it in certain markets, but not in the US.

I doubt you'll see it on Netflix or Amazon Prime anytime soon. For one, BBC America will want to rerun it. They'll also want to sell the season set on DVD/Blu-ray, coming out July 16:
http://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Black-S...dp/B00BVMXBVG/

The BBCA show Copper just showed up recently on Netflix, likely due to the new season starting up soon. I expect Orphan Black to follow something similar, so it'll show up on the unlimited streaming services a month or so before the new season starts on BBCA.
Old 05-27-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Why didn't the doctor tell Sarah about the odd thing on the ultrasound monitor? Makes me think he's in on the conspiracy.
I thought the odd thing on the ultrasound was that Kira was (mostly) unharmed. There doesn't seem to be any indication at this point that the ER doctor knew anything else. It's not like the conspiracy could've planned for an ER doctor to be there when Kira comes in, since they didn't know she'd be hit by a car, and they don't know about Kira yet anyway.
Old 05-27-13, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I thought the odd thing on the ultrasound was that Kira was (mostly) unharmed.
That too. I thought I saw a slim rectangular object on the screen. Perhaps I was imagining things.
Old 05-28-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow. I've been behind and had to play 3 episode catch up.

So many elements from the season are coming to a head. I can't believe there is only 1 epIsolde left.

I also saw something rectangular on the ER image with regard to Kira. The nurse was even shocked. Maybe an enchancement of some sort? I guess if it was anything more complex they would have kept her. I was expecting the cops to show up.

I think the French lady does actually have feelings for Cosima. You could see how hesitant she was in the limo scene with the doctor. Plus, from the viewers standpoint she didn't tell him anything about Kira.

Would really like to know who Alison's monitor is. I'd say Donnie, but perhaps somebody less obvious.

Didn't Felix have he druggie boyfriend come down to ID "Sarah" at he morgue. I wonder why hey went to Felix.

Maybe the clones are clones of a clone? If the mystery lady is the original though, shouldn't we expect her to be at least 20 years older?

I don't think the Helena / Sarah "reveal" is a huge deal unless only 1 egg was implanted.

Do we think the doctor knew about the twins? On he one hand he referred to Helana as his while whale. However, he also seemed to imply that he knew who Sarah was; yet she didn't have a monitor.
Old 05-28-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Would really like to know who Alison's monitor is. I'd say Donnie, but perhaps somebody less obvious.
They've been pretty heavily implying that it's Alison's nosy neighbor. Earlier in the season, Sarah reasoned with Alison that Donnie couldn't be the monitor because they were high-school sweethearts; it's unlikely the clone group hired a teenager to spy on her.

Something brought up by the appearance of Sarah's birth mother was that she said that the couple she was carrying Sarah for weren't a real couple. A previous episode mentioned that all the other known clones were the children of parents that used in vitro fertilization (IVF). At the time I figured the clone group had swapped out the clone embryos with unsuspecting couples, but now it seems possible that some of the clones parents may have been "in" on the plot. We haven't seen Beth, Cosima, or Alison's parents yet.

Didn't Felix have he druggie boyfriend come down to ID "Sarah" at he morgue. I wonder why hey went to Felix.
Felix went down and officially identified the body first. Later, I think the next day, he took Vic down to see the body as well. I don't know if Vic's visit was official or not, but Felix was the witness listed on the death certificate.

Maybe the clones are clones of a clone? If the mystery lady is the original though, shouldn't we expect her to be at least 20 years older?
Clones of a clone seems a bit of a stretch. It does seem like the mystery lady may be the "original" though, and yes she will have to look considerably older.

I don't think the Helena / Sarah "reveal" is a huge deal unless only 1 egg was implanted.

Do we think the doctor knew about the twins? On he one hand he referred to Helana as his while whale. However, he also seemed to imply that he knew who Sarah was; yet she didn't have a monitor.
Dr Leekie knew about Sarah because Delphine had told him her name the episode prior. There doesn't seem to be evidence that Leekie knew she existed before that though. He seemed genuinely surprised to hear that name.

Depending on when Sarah's mother fled, it's possible the group didn't know she was carrying twins. When they learned about Helena, it's possible they thought they knew about all the clones. So the fact that they're twins could explain how Sarah managed to be off their radar for so long.

Also, Helena has said before that she felt a special connection to Sarah, which is why she didn't kill Sarah on sight. Being twins possibly explains this connection, due to developing in the same womb.

What's interesting is that IVF has a higher percentage of twins than conception by normal methods, around 20-40% of pregnancies.

Last edited by Jay G.; 05-28-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

FYI- they are doing an all out marathon on BBCA this Saturday, which it turns out my service does have. Set to DVR all and looking forward to them.
Old 05-30-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It might have been the last episode, but did anybody else catch allusions to others orphaned "in the black"? Ms S made it sound like those were under the radar adoptions and others beyond Sarah were involved. I took that to mean there are possibly other clone lines out there.

Also mentioned by somebody about the "situation" gettin worse in Europe.
Old 05-30-13, 05:16 PM

Also mentioned by somebody about the "situation" gettin worse in Europe.
I thought that meant that the European clones were getting assassinated.

This show has a big hole in it, in my opinion. Who taught Helena to be a sniper? Not the priest, certainly. Everything about her screams street fighter, not trained killer. So how was she supposed to have made that ~300 yard shot across the river?
Old 05-30-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It might have been the last episode, but did anybody else catch allusions to others orphaned "in the black"? Ms S made it sound like those were under the radar adoptions and others beyond Sarah were involved. I took that to mean there are possibly other clone lines out there.
I don't think that the other orphans "in the black" were clones. I think there's been inferences to The Troubles, and these may have been orphans of political dissidents and the like that people didn't want the state to get their hands on. I think if Mrs. S had encountered another child that looked like Sarah, she would've mentioned it by now.

This show has a big hole in it, in my opinion. Who taught Helena to be a sniper? Not the priest, certainly. Everything about her screams street fighter, not trained killer. So how was she supposed to have made that ~300 yard shot across the river?
Who says Tomas is a priest? Leekie mentioned that Helena was abducted from a convent and brainwashed by Tomas and the woman Beth shot. Tomas is acting like a priest to Helena, to make her convinced she's righteous in her killing, but there's nothing that says Tomas can't be a killer himself.
Old 05-30-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I meant other type clones not in the Sarah/Beth/Alison/etc line. Like another line that is also undergoing observation. However, I see your broader point about regular non-clone orphans as well.

Still, between the two comments I infered there is more clone story out there. I mean if hey went to all this trouble of creating the experiment, you think they'd have others for redundancy.

Re: Thomas - we know he's part of an organization. Maggie who Beth killed was part of it as well. I think they have religious origins, but doesn't mean they are same as the cogent she was dropped off at. How would they unravel the mystery anyway?
Old 05-30-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

He could still be a priest or other clergy and still have military training, including sniper training.

Helena does seem to be a little too flaky to be a proficient sniper, though. That's a discipline that requires a lot of practice and training, and Helena doesn't seem like she's capable of making a pot of coffee.
Old 05-31-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I meant other type clones not in the Sarah/Beth/Alison/etc line. Like another line that is also undergoing observation. However, I see your broader point about regular non-clone orphans as well.

Still, between the two comments I [inferred] there is more clone story out there. I mean if hey went to all this trouble of creating the experiment, you think they'd have others for redundancy.
The clones themselves were redundancy. The whole point of having multiple clones of the same person, from an experimental standpoint, is to remove a variable, namely the genetic factor. If there was another set of clones, any data collected from them wouldn't be comparable to the Sarah/Beth line due to the genetic difference. If deciding between making clones of 2 people 20 times each or cloning the same person 40 times, I think the organization would just clone one person more.

Re: Thomas - we know he's part of an organization. Maggie who Beth killed was part of it as well. I think they have religious origins, but doesn't mean they are same as the cogent she was dropped off at. How would they unravel the mystery anyway?
The point is that Tomas, Maggie, or someone else part of their organization did the training of Helena. They're not a church advocating peace and love, they're an organization with the goal of killing people.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Helena does seem to be a little too flaky to be a proficient sniper, though. That's a discipline that requires a lot of practice and training, and Helena doesn't seem like she's capable of making a pot of coffee.
To be fair, we haven't seen Helena at the top of her game. As soon as we found out her identity, she'd been stabbed by Sarah, so was recuperating from that. Also, the special link she felt with Sarah has apparently destabilized her worldview. That said, Leekie has described her as "feral," so she may have always been a bit unstable.
Old 05-31-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think we are in agreement about Thomas' organization.

However, I'm still open to the idea there could be other clone lines out there.
Old 05-31-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

However, I'm still open to the idea there could be other clone lines out there.
It's possible, but I don't think the dialogue so far was implying it. From a narrative standpoint, revealing additional clone lines would just muddy the waters, so I hope they don't go there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.