DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season Finale -- "Welcome to the Tombs" -- 3/31/13

Old 04-03-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Using forums, The Walking Dead's Facebook page, Twitter, etc. you can get a pretty good idea of where characters stand. Most people were happy she was killed off because she had become such an annoying character in the show. The fact season three focused so much time on her didn't help either.
Even Holden practically begged the 'Talking Dead' audience not to hate her character during her appearance the week prior. She actually seemed pretty shook up about it, unless of course she was acting.

Old 04-03-13, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
As someone else pointed out maybe the series has run its course. The more I think about it, this season ender was almost filmed as a series finale in the sense that Rick got his crap back together. They saved the Woodbury redshirts, Carl has transformed, the Gov got away and they killed off Andrea. It actually could end here. Everyone would piss and moan but they are doing that anyway.
I have no knowledge, or interest, in what occurs in the comic. But certainly you could tie this up at any time. Perhaps with the discovery of a cure or some other resolution.
Old 04-03-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My back isn't up at all. I don't care what you think of the show. But it's a discussion board, you said you would like to see them address the outbreak, I was asking how that would be possible. Hence, discussion.

I think many people feel the show should be "bigger" than it is. This is about what happens to a small group of survivors after the world has ended. If you wanted a show that goes beyond that small group, this isn't the show they are making.

So what exactly are you looking for?
I don't think the group would necessarily need to engineer a discovery. It's a been-used-before sci-fi device for people to blunder into a revelation, e.g., they wander into a roomful of computers and actually start some video playing and say "Oh my god! So this is why it happened!" Granted, they might have to wander up to Washington DC or somewhere for that to occur, but that would be one possible way.
Old 04-03-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer
Are we supposed to spoiler opinion now?
Yes! Maybe! I just don't know!
Old 04-03-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I don't think the group would necessarily need to engineer a discovery. It's a been-used-before sci-fi device for people to blunder into a revelation, e.g., they wander into a roomful of computers and actually start some video playing and say "Oh my god! So this is why it happened!" Granted, they might have to wander up to Washington DC or somewhere for that to occur, but that would be one possible way.

Well, they did hint at that during the first season when they were at the CDC (I think it was the CDC) and that led nowhere.
Old 04-03-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I have no knowledge, or interest, in what occurs in the comic. But certainly you could tie this up at any time. Perhaps with the discovery of a cure or some other resolution.
Here's your resolution: Come up with a way to make money from exterminating walkers. Example: There were 60 million bison roaming the Great Plains in the mid 1800s, 40 years later only a few thousand.

Terminate walker
?
Profit
End of zombie apocalypse
Old 04-03-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, they did hint at that during the first season when they were at the CDC (I think it was the CDC) and that led nowhere.
Yes, that exact scenario played out already. The group wandering into the CDC with a scientist who can still run the computers is the closest they'll ever get to dealing with a "cure".
Old 04-03-13, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They took ten episodes' worth of story and stretched it out over sixteen episodes, which killed the pacing of the second half. It's pretty apparent by now that AMC's budget cuts and costs control are hurting the show's overall development. If the show had been on another network, the prison goes up in a hail of fire in the season finale and the Governor is likely dead.
I'd agree with this.
The first half of the season was fantastic. The second half was very average. Maybe this is why. They dragged out the last few episodes, placing the return of Morgan in an episode where Rick and Co go grab some guns and ammo. Then this 1 on 1 with Gov, and all that guy talked about was that they'd go back to the prison and kill them all. The audience was perfectly conditioned to expect a big fight in the last episode, and likely many deaths.

Because the "fight" in question was so lackluster, nothing happened really, this finale felt like a huge disappointment to me. Not because there were no cliffhangers, I really didn't mind that. I wanted some kind of resolution to the Prison vs. Woodbury feud. I think it's perfectly fine for Rick's crew to remain in the prison, to take in the remaining "weak" members of Woodbury, I'm all fine with this. But the absence of closure really bothered me.

As for the return of the Gov next season, that seems like a terrible decision to me, from writers and producers that really didn't understand how to finalize the situation, but if he does return, then at least deal with it quickly and have him bite the dust.

Andrea is another story. I never disliked her like most of the complaints on this forum. But having spent so much time keeping her alive and making the wrong decisions, such as not killing the Gov, felt like utter destruction of her character, leading to the absolute worst decision, her death in a way that brings no joy to any viewers. Either have her escape and salvage the bad writing around her character next season, or kill her off in a very graphic manner to make the haters happy. We had none of it.
Old 04-03-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

They did come to the knowledge that everyone living has the virus that causes it from that encounter. There's no telling what the original trigger for it was though.
Old 04-03-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mapasu
:Rick is the biggest liability to this crew. He has a way with people, a way of getting them killed over and over. And that is why I like this show, Rick's an accident waiting to happen to all around him.
Who exactly has Rick gotten killed? Because Carl's the reason Dale is dead.

[QUOTE=Finisher;11637869]
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Also my friend pointed out: Tyreese said to his sister that he had business to take care of and went back outside. Then the next time we see him, he's simply standing guard with his sister. So what exactly was so important that he had to do, take a leak?

I thought he would potentially explore Woodbury, be suspicious and find Andrea, or at least have that "business" be useful.
This is a REALLY good point.

Originally Posted by thebunk
- The guy that plays Rick is a horrible actor and needs to get some new skills during the off season. The angst ridden, look down\off to the distance then to the character or situation at hand then with an outburst is done. The production team need to correct his issues like they did with Michionne.
This is just a ridiculous comment. Andrew Lincoln does a great job on this show.

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I am a big fan of the series, but the finale had major problems. If the problems are not fixed next season and given AMC's reluctance to renew the show until the last minute, it might not see a fifth season. The ratings easily could go into a tailspin because the viewers stop caring. Use Heroes as an example of a show with unlimited potential that was never explored. There are still many other directions and places this show can go, if the producers are willing to take it there. The first step is simply leaving Georgia behind.
The show has been nothing but increasing in ratings since the premiere. Even in the Internet-deemed "bad" half of this season. Where's the evidence the audience might turn?
Seriously. This show is a ratings juggernaut. It's not "in danger" by any means.

That shows how out of touch the writers are with the audience. You can't take a character that's generally hated and drag her scenes out, thinking it'll make her more sympathetic. It just annoys the audience that we have to spend even more time with such a moronic character. If they wanted a more emotional reaction from the audience, they should've written her better for the last two seasons. T-Dog's death got more of a reaction than Andrea's.
Exactly how do you know what the MASSIVE audience of this show, which keeps growing and growing, wants?

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Do we actually know Andrea was hated by the majority of viewers? I didn't. I don't think you can go by the comments on forums were TV geeks post (This is not meant as a disparagement, I'm one too.) the majority of Americans aren't posting on DVDTalk, or any other website, about TV shows.
Nope. Just some people on the internet who think they represent everyone.
Old 04-03-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The show has been nothing but increasing in ratings since the premiere. Even in the Internet-deemed "bad" half of this season. Where's the evidence the audience might turn?
Pun intended?
Old 04-03-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A question for the Andrea haters concerning why they hate her so much? Think about it from her point of view. She's a Civil Rights lawyer who gets caught up in the zombie apocalypse. She has to shoot her own sister in the head, she loses her best friend in the group when Dale is killed, and at the end of season 2 she alone in the woods being chased by an unknown number of zombies. Thankfully she is saved by Michonne but they don't have it easy until they are taken to Woodbury where she finds a somewhat normal life and a very charismatic leader who she is attracted to. She has no idea what is going on behind closed doors like we do until the prison group comes to save Glen & Maggie. She finds out the prison group are her group who she didn't even know were still alive. So she tries to bring peace to both groups in the hopes that they can all live together, still not knowing about the Governor's crazy side.

She goes to the prison to talk to Rick and the group but they treat her like an outsider, which she doesn't understand because she is being lied to by the Governor and has no reason to doubt him. She goes back to town hoping that she can work things out and ends up sleeping with the Governor again because she still has feelings for him and hasn't seen what the others are telling her. She considers killing him but she's not at the point where Carl is and can't kill an unarmed man in his sleep. Everything after that was her trying to save the people of Woodbury until she finally realizes just how far gone the Governor is & tries to get back to the prison but is caught and taken back to Woodbury.

I'm not saying everything she did was smart or realistic, considering what they are all going through, but i'd like to hear what the Andrea haters would have done in her place not knowing everything that the viewers knew? By the time she realized the Governor was crazy she really cared about the people in the town and wanted to help them but she also wanted to keep her friends in the prison safe.
Old 04-03-13, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by argh923
Exactly how do you know what the MASSIVE audience of this show, which keeps growing and growing, wants?
Uhhhh...this was already asked AND answered. But since you decided to skip over it, here's the copy and paste:

Using forums, The Walking Dead's Facebook page, Twitter, etc. you can get a pretty good idea of where characters stand. Most people were happy she was killed off because she had become such an annoying character in the show.
Does EVERYONE hate Andrea? Of course not. But a majority didn't like her character and vocalized that in various forums throughout the Internet. Don't get mad at me because she was so awfully written that people were happy she bit the dust.
Old 04-03-13, 01:55 PM

Fanboys, take your heads out of the sand. You don't think people associated with the show do any research regarding what the audience likes and dislikes? In this day and age? Really?
Old 04-03-13, 01:59 PM

"stuff about the acting of the guy that plays Rick"
As I said further down the line, I can see certain things being debatable, and one of them being Lincoln's acting. I personally find it hilarious, especially in the over-wrought scenes, but I can see some people liking it.

But really, whether it is acting or the direction "Hey, can you try to look somewhat aimless over there, on the ground to the right. Yeah, that dung beetle moving on the ground. Yup, just stare at it, count to 5 in your head, think of your dead grandmother to well up some tears then look at the other character you are supposed to be interacting with. Perfect!".
Old 04-03-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Also my friend pointed out: Tyreese said to his sister that he had business to take care of and went back outside. Then the next time we see him, he's simply standing guard with his sister. So what exactly was so important that he had to do, take a leak?

I thought he would potentially explore Woodbury, be suspicious and find Andrea, or at least have that "business" be useful.
In the original version he does go off alone and explores to discover Andrea chained up and eaten. They then re-shot scenes to be what we saw the other night. My guess is they thought that scene was "good enough" to not reshoot (maybe the extras in the background would make continuity difficult?).
Old 04-03-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uhhhh...this was already asked AND answered. But since you decided to skip over it, here's the copy and paste:

Does EVERYONE hate Andrea? Of course not. But a majority didn't like her character and vocalized that in various forums throughout the Internet. Don't get mad at me because she was so awfully written that people were happy she bit the dust.
I didn't skip over it, that's just a silly answer. A few dozen people on the internet do not equal "the majority of the audience".
Old 04-03-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
In the original version he does go off alone and explores to discover Andrea chained up and eaten. They then re-shot scenes to be what we saw the other night. My guess is they thought that scene was "good enough" to not reshoot (maybe the extras in the background would make continuity difficult?).
Is there a link that discusses this?
Old 04-03-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Things like "Using forums, The Walking Dead's Facebook page, Twitter, etc...." are of course affecting the show. Just as Daryl became a fan favorite Andrea went the opposite way. I would think Daryl is getting a better write due to that and Andrea got eated. I can understand some of the excuses for her actions but they do not redeem the character.
Old 04-03-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along with new showrunner Scott M. Gimple, Robert Kirkman is at the center of The Walking Dead Season 4′s development and knows the plan for the upcoming season. There are definitely a lot of questions about where the show is headed after last Sunday’s Season 3 finale, and Kirkman discussed what we can look forward to in the fourth season during a recent interview.

As mentioned recently, David Morrissey is back as a series regular in the fourth season. Here’s what Robert Kirkman told IGN about The Governor: “Yeah, he’s still very much in the mix. That’s certainly not the last that we’ll see of him. When we see him again and where we see him again, that’s the big question. It’s not going to be like it was in Season 3; it’s not going to be Rick and the Governor on a collision course with a conflict between them. He’ll be used in very different ways next season.”

We’ll see a different Carl and Rick in Season 4: “Rick has had a success. The people at the prison have survived this conflict with the Governor, he brought people from Woodbury into the prison, and he’s kind of had this big win. He’s had this moment where he’s brought people together and he’s doing good things. But he’s had this tremendous loss in that Carl has lost this piece of his humanity. This has been Rick’s main mission throughout the show, to protect his family. We’ve seen two very big failures on that front this season.

Moving into next season, we’re going to see a very different Rick, but one of his main goals is to manage this situation with Carl and see if he can bring him back from this darkness that’s crept into him. Whether or not he’s able to do that, we’ll have to see. But this is a big change in the character of Carl, but it’s something that’s going to be weighing heavily on Rick next season.”

Although it seemed very likely, Robert Kirkman confirmed that the new season will take place at the prison once again: “I’ll say that there are a lot of familiar elements that are remaining. Michonne is still around, Rick and his group are still in the prison, the Governor’s still out there… so there are a lot of things that are carrying over from Season 3 to Season 4, but I can’t stress how different things are going to be.

There are going to be some radical changes to those elements that are going to bring in a lot of new storytelling. While [Season 4] does seem somewhat familiar, it’s going to be vastly different from Season 3.”
SOURCE

Old 04-03-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't skip over it, that's just a silly answer. A few dozen people on the internet do not equal "the majority of the audience".
Originally Posted by arminius
Things like "Using forums, The Walking Dead's Facebook page, Twitter, etc...." are of course affecting the show. Just as Daryl became a fan favorite Andrea went the opposite way. I would think Daryl is getting a better write due to that and Andrea got eated. I can understand some of the excuses for her actions but they do not redeem the character.
Yeah, there was certainly far more then just "a few dozen people" that disliked Andrea. I agree that the way you can tell that Daryl has become popular, there's the general feeling that Andrea wasn't. I don't know if the majority of viewers out there liked her, but I also certainly wouldn't say the opposite and that she was loved.
Old 04-03-13, 04:00 PM
Banned

The actress herself said she was being confronted by angry fans on the street about her role. She practically begged people on The Talking Dead to realize that she was not actually Andrea.

You'd have to be blind to not realize that a significant amount of fans hate Andrea.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
And yet we'll still have psychopaths on this forum debating Carl's actions as being in the right, even when the very people making the show are depicting it as the kid losing his humanity. "Kirkman and the writers are all clearly wrong, the kid was still coming for him! He had every right to gun him down!"
Old 04-03-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't care if Kirkman is saying what he was trying to depict. If he was trying to show it as Carl losing his humanity and gunning the kid down in cold blood he should have done a better job of choreographing that on the screen. He also expected long drawn out idiocy in that cell from Andrea to make us sympathetic towards her, and how exactly did that work out for him.

If the kid drops the gun and raises his hands in the air, and then Carl pops him, I'm going to side with the cold blooded killer crowd. There were a million better ways to show that, and the ambiguous nature in which it was shot doesn't lead me to believe that it's so clear.

You can call us who believe it was a good shooting sociopaths all you want, but I'm going to side with Carl and not Herschel or Kirkman on this one.
Old 04-03-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't care if Kirkman is saying what he was trying to depict. If he was trying to show it as Carl losing his humanity and gunning the kid down in cold blood he should have done a better job of choreographing that on the screen. He also expected long drawn out idiocy in that cell from Andrea to make us sympathetic towards her, and how exactly did that work out for him.

If the kid drops the gun and raises his hands in the air, and then Carl pops him, I'm going to side with the cold blooded killer crowd. There were a million better ways to show that, and the ambiguous nature in which it was shot doesn't lead me to believe that it's so clear.

You can call us who believe it was a good shooting sociopaths all you want, but I'm going to side with Carl and not Herschel or Kirkman on this one.
I think Carl would have shot him gun or no gun. Carl pretty much told Rick they should have killed all the prisoners right off when they got to the prison. I believe Carl want's to "eliminate" all the people brought in from Woodbury because he see them as a threat. Wouldn't suprise me if Carl just ups and shoots some unarmed old man or woman next season as part of "Dark Carl" storyline.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.