TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "This Sorrowful Life" -- 3/24/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "This Sorrowful Life" -- 3/24/13

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Daryl really killed Zombie-Merle in the harshest, hardest way possible. Hands-on killing is always more difficult, but when the zombie is in the physical form of your own brother, how can you have the nerve to stab it repeatedly in the face? Very hard. An arrow to the head from a distance would have been easier, but Daryl, of course, didn't have the range or the time to do that, so this is going to haunt him for a long, long time.
Everyone knows Stabbing is PERSONAL. It's often full of emotions like HATE, "LOVE", ANGER, and etc.....it made sense for him to "kill"
him that way.

Earlier in the episode, when Daryl said to Merle, "I'm waiting to have my brother back," I don't think Daryl ever had a "nice" Merle as a brother. He always had a drug-addicted asshole brother, so what kind of brother was he waiting to get back, exactly?

The brother who killed off top Governor guys and sacrificed his life for the Prison Group is not Daryl's brother returned. So far as I was able to ascertain, a complete stranger did it in the guise of Merle Dixon.
Darryl was talking about when Merle was still at home when they were young. This was before Merle left home and left Darryl with their abusive Father.
Old 03-25-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great episode, one thing that always gets me about the prison is that they let the zombies just hang out by the fence. No way I would let those zombies accumulate, get them over to the fence and poke a sharp stick through the eye. Then when the gov does attack they only need to worry about he ones that gov brings and not the rest that are just hanging around the jail.
Old 03-25-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

One question about actor Michael Rooker - he was the only established movie star (aside from Scott Wilson) in the whole cast. When I first saw him in Season One, I figured he cut his salary demands in half or something, as he's the only really famous person on this show.

And speaking of poor Scott Wilson, what the hell does it take to get your name in the opening credits of the show?!
Norman Reedus has done a lot too. I had to look up who Scott Wilson was on the show and didn't realize the guy who played Herschel has been in so many movies.
Old 03-25-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Great episode, one thing that always gets me about the prison is that they let the zombies just hang out by the fence. No way I would let those zombies accumulate, get them over to the fence and poke a sharp stick through the eye. Then when the gov does attack they only need to worry about he ones that gov brings and not the rest that are just hanging around the jail.
They leave the zombies there so that the governor's army has to deal with them as well.
Old 03-25-13, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Him going ahead and deciding to turn over Michonne sealed it. There's no coming back from that,
There's no coming back from a decision that he realized he could never actually go through with (and which basically everyone, including Merle, knew he wouldn't go through with) within 10 minutes? You have some ridiculous standards.

I'm not sure why she would want to return knowing that information.
Because no one, including her, believed he'd have really gone through with it. Her and Merle had that very conversation in this episode.

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Someone makes this complaint every week, and it makes just as little sense every time. They do exactly what you say they should. It's been shown multiple times. Unfortunately, and I don't know if you've noticed this yet, zombies do not just suddenly go away. They are constantly coming, and so, they will constantly accumulate by the prison.

They clearly don't just "let them hang out" by the fence, or there would be thousands of fucking zombies there by now.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 03-25-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-25-13, 10:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

What? No comment about Merle taking Rick's telephone? It is so OBVIOUS that the ghost of Lori has used it to drive Rick crazy, and she did the same to Merle making him essentially go on a suicide mission.

Thos.
Old 03-25-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Thos19
What? No comment about Merle taking Rick's telephone? It is so OBVIOUS that the ghost of Lori has used it to drive Rick crazy, and she did the same to Merle making him essentially go on a suicide mission.

Thos.
I thought he took the telephone to use to tie up Michonne?

Also, great episode. The bits with Michonne and Merle were so good; Merle's chance at redemption was nice, and the governor is a full bore nut job biting off his fingers like that.

I think Daryl was going to kill Merle anyway since he'd taken Michonne and he knew what Merle had done to Maggie and Glenn. The way it was done, though, was so much more dramatic. As someone mentioned, it makes more sense that he'd stab him since most "crimes of passion" are done in close proximity to the victim.
Old 03-25-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rick should have consulted with Merle. Merle took down a bunch of Governor's group all by himself, imagine if he could plan and coordinate his attacks.
Old 03-25-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

merle is such a noob camper...
Old 03-25-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

One question about actor Michael Rooker - he was the only established movie star (aside from Scott Wilson) in the whole cast. When I first saw him in Season One, I figured he cut his salary demands in half or something, as he's the only really famous person on this show.
"Established movie star" might be stretching things. There was "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer," but it's not like that was a big hit or was embraced by general audiences. Look at the last decade of his career: There was Slither and Jumper (in which he was like 7th billed) then a lot of direct-to-DVD stuff like The Marine 2. Tombstone in 1993 was probably his last real box office success.

But no one was going to see that, Mississippi Burning, JFK or Days of Thunder because it was "The New Michael Rooker flick."

He's a fine actor, but not a movie star (not many actors are). My guess is one of the co-stars of "Super Capers" wasn't too far out of The Walking Dead's price range.

I wonder if Daryl collected his arrows after killing Merle?
Old 03-25-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
"Established movie star" might be stretching things. There was "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer," but it's not like that was a big hit or was embraced by general audiences. Look at the last decade of his career: There was Slither and Jumper (in which he was like 7th billed) then a lot of direct-to-DVD stuff like The Marine 2. Tombstone in 1993 was probably his last real box office success.

But no one was going to see that, Mississippi Burning, JFK or Days of Thunder because it was "The New Michael Rooker flick."

He's a fine actor, but not a movie star (not many actors are). My guess is one of the co-stars of "Super Capers" wasn't too far out of The Walking Dead's price range.

Point taken about Rooker not being a movie star, but he has more solid movies behind him than anybody else (save for Hershel) in the cast.

No, because Daryl used a knife on his zombie-brother.
Old 03-25-13, 12:39 PM
Admin

Received 467 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706

His character in COD Black Ops would never do that!
Old 03-25-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
Somebody laughed, so I must be the only one who don't get this.
Old 03-25-13, 12:40 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

Michael Rooker lit up the screen in Mallrats! Shame on you.

Old 03-25-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

While I thought it was an improvement over the last couple weeks which were terrible, I thought they really squandered an opportunity to really surprise the audience. I thought it would have been a far better episode if Merle able to kill the Governor but that led to an immediate attack on the prison. I guess the writers really want us to see the inevitable Glenn vs Governor one on one <---specualation

Last edited by johnnysd; 03-26-13 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-25-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

It's a joke about him repeatedly sniping from one location and getting spotted shortly thereafter, something that happens a lot with beginners who do that in video games.
Old 03-25-13, 12:42 PM
Admin

It's a First Person Shooter video game reference. People who sit behind cover and pick off people who try to move around are "campers" That combined with the fact the Rooker was a prominent character in the last two Call of Duty video games made it funny...to me at least.
Old 03-25-13, 12:46 PM
Admin

It's too bad Merle didn't stink-palm the Governor.

Old 03-25-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Because no one, including her, believed he'd have really gone through with it. Her and Merle had that very conversation in this episode.
Sorry, the fact that he even entertained the idea is enough. So he balked today, what stops him tomorrow? A quaint little rallying speech? What if he decides to just hand over someone else "for the sake of the group?" No, he's just as fucked up as Merle, which he alluded to. Do you think Rick would let anyone even entertain the thought of someone turning over Carl "for the sake of the group?" Fuck no, they'd be out of that prison/or dead before the end credits roll. So Rick gets a pass because of some cheesy speech.
Old 03-25-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Point taken about Rooker not being a movie star, but he has more solid movies behind him than anybody else (save for Hershel) in the cast.

No, because Daryl used a knife on his zombie-brother.
Sorry, I meant the zombie or two Daryl took out before seeing Merle.
Old 03-25-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, the fact that he even entertained the idea is enough. So he balked today, what stops him tomorrow? A quaint little rallying speech? What if he decides to just hand over someone else "for the sake of the group?" No, he's just as fucked up as Merle, which he alluded to. Do you think Rick would let anyone even entertain the thought of someone turning over Carl "for the sake of the group?" Fuck no, they'd be out of that prison/or dead before the end credits roll. So Rick gets a pass because of some cheesy speech.
Ease up. Michonne is no Carl. Rick was going to throw her out eventually anyway, and she was never a part of the group. It was an "easy sacrifice," in light of the people Rick cared about, vs Michonne, who was a newcomer, and not worth the fight.

If I showed up at your house, and the Governor came to you and said, "hand over Buttmunker, or else I wipe out your whole family?" You gonna stand and fight for me? I don't think so!
Old 03-25-13, 01:18 PM
Admin

I had a hunch they would have Merle go out a hero. I'm glad that they did. Talking Dead was fun last night with The Governor and Merle on at the same time. Rooker went into character a couple of times during the interview which was funny.
Old 03-25-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ease up. Michonne is no Carl. Rick was going to throw her out eventually anyway, and she was never a part of the group. It was an "easy sacrifice," in light of the people Rick cared about, vs Michonne, who was a newcomer, and not worth the fight.

If I showed up at your house, and the Governor came to you and said, "hand over Buttmunker, or else I wipe out your whole family?" You gonna stand and fight for me? I don't think so!
Couldn't we just hand over FrWL and hope that the Governor didn't notice the difference?
Old 03-25-13, 01:25 PM
Banned

So he balked today, what stops him tomorrow?
The very fact that he gave up his solo-leader power for a more democratic way of governing? Did you miss parts of this episode?

The fact that you even attempt to equate Michonne to Carl is mind-boggling. No one else in that group (including Michonne) would do that. She was a stranger who has only been with them for a month at most.
Old 03-25-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I guess the writers really want us to see the inevitable Dale vs Governor one on one <---specualation

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.