Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "This Sorrowful Life" -- 3/24/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "This Sorrowful Life" -- 3/24/13

I guess we can put to rest the "was the Gov bit" theory. It was daylight when he captured Andrea and the meeting was noon the next day. At least thus far, everyone turns rather quick.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The only good thing about this episode were the performances of Michael Rooker and Norman Reedus.
Both were indeed awesome. Reedus sold that last scene. So much so, it made you feel sorry for a racist asshole like Merle.

Zombie Merle was probably the worst thing about this episode for me. Not a fan of the makeup and he was too human, licking his lips and walking too well. I'm sure that sounds silly(and can be explained away as he's a "new" zombie and still has a hint of Merle in there), but for how great Rooker was the rest of the episode he just didn't sell "walker" for me.

Originally Posted by beesonosu
Daryl might notice that Merle was shot in the chest and connect the dots since he knows Merle let Michonne go. Or he might not. I loved the nod to DotD, I even have the action figure of him somewhere - the Cult Classics one.
Daryl's a smart cookie. I think he knew what went down. Shootout with Woodbury folk and Merle got shot/zombified in the process. The meeting was set so he knew they might have been there and he stumbled onto fresh bodies. Of course he has no idea the Gov was behind the trigger.

On the flip-side Daryl wasn't so bright when he bragged about being able to track better than Rick. They both knew exactly where Merle was taking her. They both looked like idiots on that one.

And that leaves us with Rick, the asshole. I'm really not enjoying what they're doing with his character. Being flawed is one thing, but the writers have turned him into a really unlikable dickhead.
Old 03-24-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by windom
Yeah, but he has no way of knowing that it was the Governor who shot him. What I was thinking...was that maybe the Governor would take Merle, either shot through the head or zombiefied, and tie him to the front of his truck when he leads the attack on the prison.
That would have been awesome.
Old 03-24-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

I picture this conversation in the writers' room:

Writer 1: "Okay, so our viewers have been complaining about groups of zombies that appear out of nowhere and take our heroes by surprise, like the zombies have invisibility shields until they're up close. We need to write a scene where we can see a bunch of zombies slowly gathering and shambling up to our heroes, who are stuck somehow."

Writer 2: "Great! So what's the stupidest way we can write that scene?"

Other than that, I generally liked this episode. Norman Reedus did a great job there at the end.
Old 03-24-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I hate Rick. I really really dislike him even more after this episode. The change of heart rang completely hollow to me. I just hated that whole aspect of this storyline. It was a very ham-fisted way to show the difference between the prison group and Woodbury.
Old 03-25-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnaloner
Considering that the episode was directed by a makeup effects guy who has been a part of the Dawn of the Dead franchise for 30 years, probably more of a tribute. I admit to shouting out "AIRPORT ZOMBIE!!!"
I'm glad that others saw that too, I thought I might've been reading too much into it.

It's been a while since we actually saw walkers take someone down and finish him off. I was hoping the Governor's right hand man would get eaten too, but no such luck.
Old 03-25-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It was the son of the guy in Tyrese's group that got shot instead of the governor at the end, right? What a useless group of characters.
Old 03-25-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was hoping Merle would get his own spin-off called My Name is Merle where he would discover his brother's long-lost twin so he could introduce them as "my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl."
Old 03-25-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Why did this show just kill off Michael Rooker's character? He was acting circles around the rest of the cast in this episode. Was anyone surprised he would end up dead, once he took off with Michonne? I surely wasn't.

This was easily the best episode in a long while.
Old 03-25-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I think this was the best episode in weeks. Loved the Merle Michonne stuff when they were together. She actually did more than just glare.
Old 03-25-13, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I'm glad that others saw that too, I thought I might've been reading too much into it.

It's been a while since we actually saw walkers take someone down and finish him off. I was hoping the Governor's right hand man would get eaten too, but no such luck.
The Latino dude, right? He's an asshole. I hope he gets it like that one guy got in Day of the Dead, where they rip him to pieces.
Old 03-25-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As soon as Merle started getting his drink on and lamenting the fact that he was going to go in guns blazing, I knew it'd be on. Gov biting his fingers off only cemented the fact that Merle was toast.
Old 03-25-13, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think this was the best episode in weeks. Loved the Merle Michonne stuff when they were together. She actually did more than just glare.
I'll eat some crow here. I thought she was a terrible actress for her first 6-8 episodes. It was apparently the writing and direction, not the acting.

It was a pretty good episodes, especially in comparison the the last 2. If this is the guy who wrote the episode with Lennie James a couple episodes ago and is supposedly taking the show over, then it is in good hands.
Old 03-25-13, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Michonne has been great in the past few episodes. Loved the wire-through-the-neck zombie kill.
Old 03-25-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Loved the wire-through-the-neck zombie kill.
I like how they keep coming up with fresh new ways to kill zombies.

Merle and his hand-dagger should have easily stabbed the Governor in that fight, but the writers wanted Merle dead, so that's what happened.

It rang false to me that Merle would go through all that trouble to abduct Micchone, only to let her go.
Old 03-25-13, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
but the writers have turned him into a really unlikable dickhead.
I don't understand how him finally admitting that he should not be the solitary leader who makes all the decisions makes him a "really unlikeable dickhead".

She actually did more than just glare.
She's been doing more than just "glaring" for the past four episodes.
Old 03-25-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much better episode compared to the last few. And 0 Andrea this time, which is always a bonus.
Old 03-25-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I think this was the best episode in weeks.
I agree, but for me that ain't sayin' much. I think they wasted so much time on Andrea, left Rick kind of floundering around. It was a good ep., but now it feels like there's just not enough time to turn Rick into the fearless William Wallace to lead them into battle.
Old 03-25-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the spoilers were true which is good....

next week will be interesting... there is no way that group can take on the governors group but they most surely will have a plan...

it wont be a happy ending next week...
Old 03-25-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

As soon as Merle started getting his drink on and lamenting the fact that he was going to go in guns blazing, I knew it'd be on. Gov biting his fingers off only cemented the fact that Merle was toast.
Wow, terrific episode!

I think this was one of the best, if not THE best, "bad guy redemption" bits I've ever seen. Usually the bad guy has an epiphany and becomes unrealistically squeaky clean good, or simply an unlikeable good buy.

But Michael Rooker did an amazing job with Merle. He really portrayed the helplessness and hopelessness of Merle's situation. Merle didn't single-handedly take out the entire army of Woodbury, nor did he fail completely. That was all amazingly capped by Norman Reedus' Daryl... wow.

The last time that I was moved by the death of a character was
Spoiler:
Compo
in Last of the Summer Wine and before that,
Spoiler:
Christopher Moltisanti
in the Sopranos.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-26-13 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags from other shows
Old 03-25-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I don't understand how him finally admitting that he should not be the solitary leader who makes all the decisions makes him a "really unlikeable dickhead".
Uh, that's not what made him a dickhead. That was him finally coming to his senses after a season of dumb ass behavior.

Him going ahead and deciding to turn over Michonne sealed it. There's no coming back from that, and it rang hollow in his "poor 'ol me" speech to the group. I'm not sure why she would want to return knowing that information. Same for Tyrese and his bunch(they left one crazy fucker for another crazy fucker, why go back?). Fuck Rick, he's been as bad as the Governor this year. They're both crazy SOBs in different ways.
Old 03-25-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We all knew Merle was going to die after having that conversation with Carol etc, But Merle definitely did not go out like a pussy, which was awesome. Having Daryll kill him was expected, but still was great.

Final episode spoilers should be out soon, need to be aware of that heh.
Old 03-25-13, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sracer
Wow, terrific episode!

I think this was one of the best, if not THE best, "bad guy redemption" bits I've ever seen. Usually the bad guy has an epiphany and becomes unrealistically squeaky clean good, or simply an unlikeable good buy.

But Michael Rooker did an amazing job with Merle. He really portrayed the helplessness and hopelessness of Merle's situation. Merle didn't single-handedly take out the entire army of Woodbury, nor did he fail completely. That was all amazingly capped by Norman Reedus' Daryl... wow.

Spoiler:
The last time that I was moved by the death of a character was Compo in Last of the Summer Wine and before that, Christopher Moltisanti in the Sopranos.
Dude, I've never seen the Sopranos before & am currently on season 2. Thanks for ruining that for me. Use a spoiler tag next time when mentioning other shows please.
Old 03-25-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Daryl cannot blame Rick or anybody else for Merle being caught in the situation that caused his death. Rick didn't pussy out and send Merle with Michonne, so no way Daryl can be bitter towards the group (as someone suggested he might be).

Daryl really killed Zombie-Merle in the harshest, hardest way possible. Hands-on killing is always more difficult, but when the zombie is in the physical form of your own brother, how can you have the nerve to stab it repeatedly in the face? Very hard. An arrow to the head from a distance would have been easier, but Daryl, of course, didn't have the range or the time to do that, so this is going to haunt him for a long, long time.

Earlier in the episode, when Daryl said to Merle, "I'm waiting to have my brother back," I don't think Daryl ever had a "nice" Merle as a brother. He always had a drug-addicted asshole brother, so what kind of brother was he waiting to get back, exactly?

The brother who killed off top Governor guys and sacrificed his life for the Prison Group is not Daryl's brother returned. So far as I was able to ascertain, a complete stranger did it in the guise of Merle Dixon.
Old 03-25-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One question about actor Michael Rooker - he was the only established movie star (aside from Scott Wilson) in the whole cast. When I first saw him in Season One, I figured he cut his salary demands in half or something, as he's the only really famous person on this show.

And speaking of poor Scott Wilson, what the hell does it take to get your name in the opening credits of the show?!
Old 03-25-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Great episode. Unfortunately, in wanting to avoid the commercials, I waited until after the east coast feed was finished and someone had already spoiled it for me on facebook 4 minutes after it ended before I turned it on. Fuck. Completely ruined the impact for me.

Yeah it was spoiled for me on FB too. Gotta remember to stay away from FB on Sunday nights. Shit, she didn't even mention the name, but I knew right away who she was talking about. She posted something like, "You hate a character but when they finally get killed you're all tears". I knew it wasn't The Gov....

Anyway, that funny part is she is someone who complains each week on FB about not being able to handle the GORE on the show, but who apparently can't stop watching the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.